Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nikko Stirling Nighteater

Options
  • 08-01-2011 3:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    Taking the Howa 1500 out to the range soon. I purchased the 1500 package that came with a 3-9x42mm Nikko Stirling Nighteater Scope and rings.

Please comment on your specific experience with the scope.

Did it hold zero? Is it any good? ...

Perhaps, I will do a sxs comparison between itself and the 700.

Just wondering if I should give the Nighteater a chance or just throw on the Burris.

Thanks for any help.

Slan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

i used a nikko on my 22 it wasnt the nite eater model but was perfect for holding zero i only looked through the nite eater in the shop and seemed to have clear enough optics

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

I have a 6-24 nighteater on my 22. Nice little scope, good value for money. Only problem I've found is glare from evening sunlight without the sunshade, but one comes with the scope so put that on and problem seriously reduced.
    Apparently they were developed for shooting kangaroo's down under, so I don't think there should be a problem holding zero on a centrefire.
    What burris are you thinking of using? Cos I would still use a burris before nikko if it was that simple a decision, unless you have to take it off another rifle or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I have a 4x32 nikko mount master on my ruger 10/22. The scope is a dinger zeroed it twice since July all because I fiddles with the internals of the rifle still spot on since October when I last played with it and it has been bouncing around the pick up all over the xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I had the 8-32x60 nighteater on my 22lr, bigger is better so I thought. All was OK until I took a look through a Bushnell banner. The Nighteaters are OK , hold zero, good value and do the job, but the glass is "get what you pay" for.

I now have 2 Bushnell 4200 elite 6-24x50 and a 3200 elite fixed 10x40 on the 22lr, the glass is way better than the nikko scopes IMO. They are one of the better mid range/price of scopes IMO.

My son had a 6-24x56 nighteater he now has the bushnell 4-12x40 on his 223 and another bushnell 6-15x40 on his 22lr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

CliveJ,
    Thanks and you're right - you get what you pay for.

The scope came free with the rifle. The deal for the rifle alone was great, let alone scope and rings.

Before I purchase yet another scope, I guess I will give it a chance.

Have you ever used a Burris or a Redfield? Would like to hear your comparisons.

If I buy a scope for the Howa, I think I will give the new RedFields a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

FISMA wrote: »
    CliveJ,
    Thanks and you're right - you get what you pay for.

The scope came free with the rifle. The deal for the rifle alone was great, let alone scope and rings.

Before I purchase yet another scope, I guess I will give it a chance.

Have you ever used a Burris or a Redfield? Would like to hear your comparisons.

If I buy a scope for the Howa, I think I will give the new RedFields a chance.[/QUOTE]

Well each to their own.

No never viewed those scopes. I liked what I saw with the bushnells and therefore kept with them.
    I have looked and shot guns with far better scopes and realy have to say "are they worth" 3 or 4 times the bushnells??

Yes "you get what you pay for"
    Well after seeing the Ziess scopes getting cut from a solid block of metal I see where your money goes and the glass will be far better, but I'll not be able to afford them for a while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Iv a nikko sterling mountmaster AO 4-12x50 on my hmr and i have no complaints. very clear glass and imo great value for money. It has no prblem holding zero and i wouldnt be the most gentle person in the world:o nothin to loose by givin it a chance lad!

Advertisement