Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Location of a Vivid Memory

Options
  • 08-01-2011 4:47am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi there Donegal boardsies.

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a very clear but very distant memory of being a very small child back in the late 1970s and travelling in a car with my family in Donegal. We used to holiday at the hotel in Rossnowlagh at the time.

Anyway, my memory comprises of a landscape where a very straight road runs right between two mountains, both dome shaped but the one on the left had a sheer rock face that is dark in colour (like the mountain was sliced right in half) and the other has a normal grassy slope. The land in front of the gap is pretty flat IIRC.

Where is this? It's being puzzling me for years to the point of madness. I've been to Donegal many times since, to places that people have suggested may be the location like Barnesmore Gap, the Gap of Mamore, Glengesh and Errigal but to my disappointment it is definitely none of these.

Can anyone help me? Does anyone know there the gap I described might be? I'd be very grateful if you could help.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

How big was the road ? Hard shoulders or no ?

Barnes Beg might be an option ? Between Kilmacrennan and Creeslough with the old railway viaduct towers still in place.
    L_ROY_01317.jpg
    L_ROY_01318.jpg
    L_ROY_01320.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

funny, I was just about to post this picture of the road between Kilmacrenan and Cresslough,

Do you know if this location you remember, was close to the Sandhouse Hotel? Were the mountains far back from the road, and were they high?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

could it have been the back road from glenveagh to falcarragh

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

my first thoughts would have been the mountains in Yeats country, the one that used to have Smash H BLock on them.
    I know its not Donegal but could you have passed through on your way there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

funny, I was just about to post this picture of the road between Kilmacrenan and Cresslough,

Do you know if this location you remember, was close to the Sandhouse Hotel? Were the mountains far back from the road, and were they high?

Thanks for all your help guys.:) I think the third pic posted of the straight road and the telephone poles along the disused railway line looks like it might be a contender alright.

Yep, it was the Sandhouse hotel that we stayed in. The beach beside it was incredible. I don't know if the place was close to Rossnowlagh but it was definitely in the Donegal area. The mountians may not have been all that high but one definitely had a sheer cliff face. The road was very straight and it passed right betwen the two hills/mountians which were dome shaped. I've been told that it must have been Barnesmore gap approached from the south and that I didn't remember it accurately. But I've been there and it definitely wasn't.

I'd really appreciete if you could continue to suggest locations. I mean I was only about 3 or 4 at the time and it was around 1978/79 but the memory is incredibly vivid in my mind.

Advertisement