Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Des Bishop is not funny.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

My brother won a big boxing tournament awhile back and himself and a few of the other lads boxing asked Des if he would pose for a pic, he told them he was far too busy and if they wanted to talk to furthur bither him they would speak to him in Irish. So not only is he not funny but he's a tosser also.

Should add that I met him in a pub a year or so back and he kept trying to talk to people in Irish, he asked me could I speak the language and when I told him I don't see the point of conversing in dead languages he made an offhand remark about how much of a shame it was that I was so ignorant. I made the point to him that it was a shame that he struggled so hard to get a laugh considering his routine hasn't changed in a decade. Hard to know who the biggest tosser is, him or savage who is equally unfunny aswell as being aconceited git.

This is one of so many reasons why I cannot stand this arrogant UNFUNNY piece of excrement.
    Did he learn to speak Irish because he really wanted to,or because he got at tv show out of it.

Do us all a favour,stop trying to be a comedian,you're just making a fool out of yourself:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

I know it may seem I'm a bit obsessed with how unfunny this prick is,but he's on RTE again this week.

Who does he know in Montrose,that keeps giving him airtime??

Can I have a partial refund of my tv licence please ?
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I saw him back in January 2005 in vicar street before he started doing all the tv shows and it was a good gig ,but now he's like the rest of them.Why is it that Irish comedians become sarcastic ,arrogant idiots after a few years???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

saw him on saturday in bray. the show about his dad. I thought he was amusing and felt the show content was slightly morbid IMO

saw the show about his dad at the fringe last year, it was the best show i saw of the fringe and i went to about 20!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Irelands equivalent to George Carlin:

BrendanGrace1.jpg

The fact that Bishop is able to flourish on the Irish comedy circuit is just reflective of how poor our comedians are.

That said, all bets are off when Killanaskully and Mrs Brownes boys are killing in the ratings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I think the only reason he learned Irish was to act superior.
    Sounds like you hit the nail on the head there judging from some of the other posters experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

^^ this tbh! I am really fed up with the "omg he is so sh!t" notion about des, when he does his tv shows there is a theme behind them so he stays within that theme (but i will be the first to admit that US/Irish shtick has gotten old now)

but when he does straight stand up, no theme throughout he is very very funny, I wish he would go back to those days!

^This.
    Yeah bit of bandwagon jumping with the criticism.
    Not a fan myself but he's far from the worst in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Hes not the worst by a long shot, but its easy to see that in many people eyes - mine included - Des Bishop is the yank comedian who does all the US v Irish culture jokes. Hes eaten out on it far too long.

Another thing is, he has a very sunny disposition on life. "Nothing is too big a challenge, I relish a challenge" sort of thing. Its a very American outlook on life. I think that grates on a very basic level with most Irish people. I think we generally prefer darker, more cutting or ironic humour, with a good dose of misery thrown in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Not that I am a comedy connoisseur but I agree with the other names of unfunny Irish comedians on the various lists in this thread. However, I think there is a bit of comedy connoisseur snobbishness or bandwagon jumping with regard to Des Bishop.

I have always found him quite funny anytime I saw him on telly and always had a few belly laughs. I actually found this thread after searching the forum for his name because I just watched the 'My dad was nearly James Bond' thing on RTE. I wanted to see whether other people found it is good as I did. I haven't watched anything on any channel on any subject before where I laughed and cried, where I saw my own family down to a tee(without the cancer bit) with so many points of belated learned pearls of wisdom about family blah blah blah. I dunno,but the programme really affected me and surely there is not much more you can ask from a programme. Seems his other programmes have been well recieved by most people too. Yes he is still playing the Irish insider outsider looking in theme but it still gets laughs from me and I presume most 'ordinary' people unless you are a comedy connoiseur who goes to comedy gigs every weekend and has seen him live a million times before.

I'm actually disgusted to learn here that he was doing this show last weekend in Bray (in the Martello??) which is only 100 yards away from my gaff. In hindsight I would have loved to have attended his 'My Dad....' live show. Could have told him personally how funny and moving the show was. I think this reviwer puts it best..
    Of all the show’s at the Fringe this one was by far one of the best, heartbreaking in its topic, yet blisteringly funny with his observations. Des Bishop new Fringe show is honest and probably one of the greatest gifts a son could give his dying father. This show will stay with you hands down!’

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LMN3

Calibos wrote: »
    I actually found this thread after searching the forum for his name because I just watched the 'My dad was nearly James Bond' thing on RTE. I wanted to see whether other people found it is good as I did. I haven't watched anything on any channel on any subject before where I laughed and cried, ... the programme really affected me and surely there is not much more you can ask from a programme.

I've just done exactly the same thing! I thought it was a terrific programme as well, and I was disappointed not to find a thread about it. I had decided earlier that I wouldn't watch it, as from the write-ups it sounded exploitative and icky. But it wasn't either of those things and I finished it liking Des Bishop a lot more and absolutely loving his dad, who is a complete sweetheart. It was funny and moving and a really refreshing depiction of a family who actually love each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭The_D_Man

He was in the dj box for a while in a nightclub in cork lastnight, so we being the ***** we are, seized the opportunity the waver one finger in the air and chant uni-ball on the dancefloor...he was none too pleased to say the least :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

typical boards...full of losers hu look to deeply into things like this and coz like some 'lejend' on boards think hes **** the rest agree with him to fit in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

partyndbs wrote: »
    typical boards...full of losers hu look to deeply into things like this and coz like some 'lejend' on boards think hes **** the rest agree with him to fit in

But he is sh1t, that is just a fact.. My mother in law is funnier than Des Bishop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

As for the uni ball comment above, that is the most retarded thing any one could say to someone who had testicular cancer- WTF was going through your head?

I have to say i loved all his shows, work experience is and remains one of my fave shows. Joy in the hood was great and the Learning Irish down the country was great too, i dont find his stand up as funny as the tv stuff he does as he's a natural in front of the camera and he makes people like him. People on here are saying "i went up to him and he told me to **** off" who knows if this is true- seeing him on the shows you wouldnt get that opinion. He's a recovering Alcoholic also- so maybe someone locked coming over to him isnt the type of person he wants to talk to for the night.

On last nights show with his father (who came across as a gent) it was the best thing watched this year on RTE. Was much more real than anything i've watched in a while- some very funny moments and alot of sincere moments with a family coming to terms with a member dying which is something i (and normally everyone) have a huge fear of.

No comedian is everones cup of tea, myself cant stand Tommy Tiernan who when i went to his show there where people in the Aisles rolling around the place laughing while i sat there blank faced.

And if anyone hasnt seen Work experience you have to get it- its very funny but watching des mix with people and the was they react with him you can tell he's a decent fella.

dez is obviously funny but mayb not hilariously stand up funny but hes tv funny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

dez is obviously funny but mayb not hilariously stand up funny but hes tv funny

Some people (idiots) think Brendan O'Carroll is funny, in fact he was on the late late bore fest on fri night for the umpteenth time. Des Bishop, Brendan O'Carroll, Twink etc.. All the regulars on the late late show have one thing in common- they are all crap and could only be famous in Ireland because they haven't the talent to make it anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

The fact that Bishop is able to flourish on the Irish comedy circuit is just reflective of how poor our comedians are.

That said, all bets are off when Killanaskully and Mrs Brownes boys are killing in the ratings

Ireland is noted the world over for producing some of the best 'alternative' comedians ever. Eg..Dave Allen, Dermot Morgan, Sean Hughes, Dylan Moran, Tommy Tiernan and David O Doherty are/were respected across the pond and further afield. But we all know that Joe Public isn't very smart so for every Sean Hughes there's two Brendan O'Carrolls.

il qouote this again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Golden rule here - attack the post, not the poster.
    If you can't keep it civil, you can take a wee break.
    Partyndbs gets a warning for his post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 P-Gal--08

Des Bishop is the biggest gom ever
    couldnt have said it better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

I never found him funny, then I saw his recent Edinburgh show that was themed around the death of his father. I found him very likeable, and the show itself both funny and touching. Completely changed my opinion of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

In fairness to Des Bishop I think he is making the most of his talents.
    Bit I think he over-egged the "In America they say....In Ireland they say" and can come across a bit smug at times.
    The learning the Irish language thing, work experience show, and teaching people in so called disadvantaged areas, all had good bits in them. The show about his dad I didn't watch.
    I didn't really watch much of the Breaking China show. But seen an auld chinese mad fella learning the auld triangle from Des made me laugh.

I think Des is fundamentally a decent sort of fella who has the intelligence to come up with ideas that he can make a TV show out of. The fact that he is a Yank means he is prone to be more overly enthusiastic then the average Irish fella. But its hardly a hanging offence is it?

I think he is middle of the road funny wise. There are far worse comedians and far better. Then again it is very subjective. I am sure there are people who (unlike me) think Ed Byrne is a comedic genius!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

In fairness to Des Bishop I think he is making the most of his talents.
    Bit I think he over-egged the "In America they say....In Ireland they say" and can come across a bit smug at times.
    The learning the Irish language thing, work experience show, and teaching people in so called disadvantaged areas, all had good bits in them. The show about his dad I didn't watch.
    I didn't really watch much of the Breaking China show. But seen an auld chinese mad fella learning the auld triangle from Des made me laugh.

I think Des is fundamentally a decent sort of fella who has the intelligence to come up with ideas that he can make a TV show out of. The fact that he is a Yank means he is prone to be more overly enthusiastic then the average Irish fella. But its hardly a hanging offence is it?

I think he is middle of the road funny wise. There are far worse comedians and far better. Then again it is very subjective. I am sure there are people who (unlike me) think Ed Byrne is a comedic genius!

Let's not go too far now.

But yeah he has a talent for exploiting his skills, so well played Des.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

BioHazRd wrote: »
    Golden rule here - attack the post, not the poster.

Des should log on as hisself and see the entire thread get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I like him because he seems like a nice guy.
    Not particularly funny. Big respect for learning irish... I mean most irish learn it for a decade or more and can't string a sentence together.
    He's a lot funnier than that other dude, can't remember his name, larger, did something about limerick...
    Anyway, can't think why anyone would bother hurling abuse towards him anyway... Harmless, good radio voice and funnier than bredan Carroll who, is, indeed, a multi millionaire lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ifaptwohanded

Not funny and certainly not a nice guy either from what i heard.

What did ya hear

Neither is mcsavage.. Who, incidently is funny as fc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Not a big fan of des myself but he at least makes the effort,jason byrne is a different story who laugh's at him and why i will never know .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ifaptwohanded

dharma200 wrote: »
    What did ya hear

sorry, not posting about it here.

Advertisement