Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Des Bishop is not funny.

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

sorry, not posting about it here.

Im gonna believe you i used to hate des bishop but had mellowed my hate towards him over time and now just thought he was unfunny but not worth hating.
    Your making me want to hate him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ifaptwohanded

amkin25 wrote: »
    Im gonna believe you i used to hate des bishop but had mellowed my hate towards him over time and now just thought he was unfunny but not worth hating.
    Your making me want to hate him again.

I didn't dislike him before, he was funny at times but after i heard what he was like it made me dislike him to almost wanting to punch him in the face, i still get that feeling every time i see him.

You probably hate him that bit more now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭badger57

He's grand. Calm down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

When he first came on the scene I liked him for a while but then he began to grate on me as the whole American living in Ireland thing made me see him as a one trick pony. In saying that his famous joke about leaving on the immersion was a superb bit of observational comedy that an Irish comedian would never have picked up on.

I had tired of him but then he did that excellent documentary on alcohol and the Irish relationship with it. I thought it was a very good investigative piece, he certainly showed up the drinks industry sponsored drinkaware.ie organisation for the sham that they are, they agreed to do an interview on alcohol problems in Ireland and then backed out of it, despite them supposed to be promoting responsible drinking.

I watched his series in China and again I thought it was very good. I've taken a warming to him again but chances are if he finds fame on a national scale in China then we won't be seeing much of him anymore. If he is fluent in Chinese and culturally sensitive then he'll go a long way over there with a far bigger market to play to.

Overall I wouldn't go to see any of his stand up stuff as there is much better out there. But I think Des is well suited to TV and going on his adventures, meeting people, telling a story and sharing Irish culture with them at the same time. He fits that role well and if he keeps doing it I'll keep watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Last time I saw him was during the Edinburgh Fringe about 3 years ago, it was the show about his Dad. Not a huge fan but dissapointed when the tickets were bought for me. Went along anyway and found the show quite good, his Dad cameo'd at the end to a huge reception.

It was observations about Ireland were endearing and honest and it wa a far contrast to a a time prior to this when i stumbled into a NYC comedy club where he was on and absolutely destroyed Ireland, interestingly his accent was a very strong New Yorker that night too.

That experience, overuse of the Yank in Ireland and arrogance around Irish are probably the reasons I dislike him, would agree he has his moments though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

razorblunt wrote: »
    Last time I saw him was during the Edinburgh Fringe about 3 years ago, it was the show about his Dad. Not a huge fan but dissapointed when the tickets were bought for me. Went along anyway and found the show quite good, his Dad cameo'd at the end to a huge reception.

It was observations about Ireland were endearing and honest and it wa a far contrast to a a time prior to this when i stumbled into a NYC comedy club where he was on and absolutely destroyed Ireland, interestingly his accent was a very strong New Yorker that night too.

That experience, overuse of the Yank in Ireland and arrogance around Irish are probably the reasons I dislike him, would agree he has his moments though.

He moved to Ireland two and a half decades ago when he hit puberty. His "yank in Ireland" gimmick is more than just a little bit contrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

He moved to Ireland two and a half decades ago when he hit puberty. His "yank in Ireland" gimmick is more than just a little bit contrived.

For some reason he never mentions that he was born in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Just Janice

ah sure hes doing his best.......least hes trying. Be a lover not a hater. I also cringe at most stand ups from Ireland for some reason. Why do they all have to shout. It it to make up for something....... like a PA system (boom boom)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Packardb

He's as funny as the rest that passes for funny in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭briany

ah sure hes doing his best.......least hes trying. Be a lover not a hater. I also cringe at most stand ups from Ireland for some reason. Why do they all have to shout. It it to make up for something....... like a PA system (boom boom)

They don't all have to shout. There's newer comedians like Sean Nolan and Andrea Farrell who have a pretty soft spoken, pause-injected style. You can probably thank Tommy Tiernan and Jason Byrne for popularizing so-called shouty comedy, although if you look at Tiernan's earlier stuff he's reasonably quiet as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

briany wrote: »
    They don't all have to shout. There's newer comedians like Sean Nolan and Andrea Farrell who have a pretty soft spoken, pause-injected style. You can probably thank Tommy Tiernan and Jason Byrne for popularizing so-called shouty comedy, although if you look at Tiernan's earlier stuff he's reasonably quiet as well.

And his new stuff, back to his best of not shouting and is actually funny.

Advertisement