Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travel tripod

• 08-01-2011 7:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭

Howya,

I'm looking for recommendations for a travel tripod. Something small enough to fit in an average sized suitcase and sturdy enough to do the job. The one I have at the moment is way too large to fit inside a suitcase without taking up half the space.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-00004213-Traveller-Mini-Tripod/dp/B002L4KSUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1294478576&sr=8-1

Got one of these for Christmas as my throw in my backpack tripod and I'm very impressed with it. Alot sturdier than I was expecting and will probably be my main tripod just cause of convenience. It could do with a quick release plate and I haven't tried it with a big lens yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaggyM

I initially used a Manfrotto Modo 785b as my travel tripod with my Canon 400D and it served my purposes very well.
    I wanted something that would not only fit in a suitcase but was easy to carry around also. It was so compact that it would even fit in the laptop compartment of my camera bag.

But now, with a heavier camera and even heavier lenses, it just was not sturdy enough. I now use a Giottos Vitruvian for travelling and find it great. Its not as compact as the Manfrotto was but its very light and fits very easily in a suitcase.

Still some issues in portrait orientation but I plan on getting some sort of L bracket to solve that problem.

You still can't beat a full sized tripod for ultimate sturdiness but both of these tripods were good compromises for me for travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 robertcochran

Adiboo wrote: »
    Howya,

I'm looking for recommendations for a travel tripod. Something small enough to fit in an average sized suitcase and sturdy enough to do the job. The one I have at the moment is way too large to fit inside a suitcase without taking up half the space.

For exactly that reason, a few days ago I bought a Benro 168 Travel Angel tripod. I got it in Conns Cameras in Dublin. I haven't used it yet for real, but it seems fine from testing it out at home. It is well recommended in the various internet reviews I checked out.

HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I have a benro angel as well a great tripod, would recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I went with the Benro. It arrived today. Seems like a sturdy piece of equipment so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Out of interest, how much was the Benro in Conns? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Gorilla pod is yer only man. If cost is not an issue they have a metal one that holds up to 5kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

I have the 3kg gorrilapod version with the swivel ball joint head/quick release plate - it is fantastic. I use it indoors too as a sort of steady cam arrangement. By putting one leg over each shoulder and the other leg against my chest it can help keep the shot blur free! Really good for indoor shots where a flash isn't available or warranted.
    Best gift photography gift I've received!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Using a gorrilapod slr zoom with a manfrotto ball head. Handy because it works with my quick release plate that I use for my main tripod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Unfortunately my Manfrotto ball head is un-detachable. I must get a gorrilapod at some point for travel. Went to England the other week and I had a shoot to do there, was a right pain having to cart the tripod, light stand etc ... the tripod being the heaviest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I bought mine on ebay about 18mths ago at a cost of €180.00, its the carbon fibre C2691 which came complete with a ball head and is rated up to 12kg and one leg can be converted into a monopod.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

this would be good for ryanair.... you need a weeee tripod :)

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-00004213-Traveller-Mini-Tripod/dp/B002L4KSUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1294478576&sr=8-1

Got one of these for Christmas as my throw in my backpack tripod and I'm very impressed with it. Alot sturdier than I was expecting and will probably be my main tripod just cause of convenience. It could do with a quick release plate and I haven't tried it with a big lens yet though.

Advertisement