Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best way to kill spiders?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Jumpy wrote: »
    Sydney funnel webs are not called that because they are only in Sydney, they are also found in VIC.

Quick, Jumpy, email the Australian Museum and tell them they have their facts wrong.

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Funnel-web-Spiders-Group
    Funnel-web spiders live in the moist forest regions of the east coast and highlands of Australia from Tasmania to north Queensland. They are also found in the drier open forests of the Western Slopes of the Great Dividing Range and South Australia's Gulf ranges. Funnel-webs of the genus Atrax have a much smaller distribution than do the more diverse members of the genus Hadronyche. The Sydney Funnel-web Spider, Atrax robustus, is found from Newcastle to Nowra and west as far as Lithgow in New South Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

Dude, read up.

Sydney funnel web, Atrax robustus, is a specific variety of funnel web and no, it doesn't roam outside NSW. I never said there weren't other funnel webs outside NSW, but it's the most dangerous one and one that can deliver a dangerous bite.

Can you tell me where I said that there are no funnel webs in Victoria? Oh yeah - I didn't say that!

Haha sweeper you're embarrassed yourself once in this thread already, why do it to yourself again? When I said I thought the spider might be a funnel web spider you made the smart arsed reply:
    Welcome to Melbourne.

The Sydney funnel web spider does not reside in this state. That's why it's called the Sydney funnel web spider. It's also rather large."

which proves you thought the Sydney funnel web spider was the only funnel web spider in Australia.

And Mellor never said the Sydney funnel web spider strays outside NSW, so where are you getting that from? You're just making up stuff now.

This reminds me of that episode of the office where David Brent gets schooled on trivia by the temp, and so he goes off and googles a load of sh1te to try and get one up on the temp, only to end up getting schooled a second time. Learn when to give up eh.

Haha sweeper you're embarrassed yourself once in this thread already, why do it to yourself again?

LOL like I assumed you'd know the difference between any of 40 generic species of funnel web. I was being nice in giving you the benefit of the doubt on the basis that the only spiders you need to be afraid of are the dangerous ones. Nice try.

Go buy a crate of baygon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Quick, Jumpy, email the Australian Museum and tell them they have their facts wrong.

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Funnel-web-Spiders-Group

Area of distribution - the Sydney Funnel-Web Spider is a ground dweller in moist soil areas along much of the eastern coastal area of New South Wales and Victoria.

http://www.spiders.com.au/

Also pop up to the Australian Reptile Park. They have a Map where the Robustus species have been found. It covers to the edge of NSW/Queensland border and past the VIC border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Oh sweeper :o:o:o
    Im so embarrassed for you. You really are completely out of your depth here.
    :o:o:o:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sweeper, you were the first to mention Sydney Fws, not the OP. I imagine some of the other look quite similar.
    Sydney funnel web, Atrax robustus, is a specific variety of funnel web and no, it doesn't roam outside NSW.
    You sure?

The bites from other funnel webs will make you feel pretty sick - the Sydney funnel web can kill you.
    It can't kill me, I'm a cat

Jumpy wrote: »
    Area of distribution - the Sydney Funnel-Web Spider is a ground dweller in moist soil areas along much of the eastern coastal area of New South Wales and Victoria.

http://www.spiders.com.au/

Okay I accept that, but there's no way I'm clicking on a link called spiders.com.au. :eek: Unless you can turn the graphics off first. :shudderysmiley:

However, conclusive information appears to be conflicting. The goverment-endorsed Better Health website states:
    The Sydney funnel-web is not found in Victoria.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Spiders

And the Museum Victoria website has the following comment:

Discovery Centre 30 Jan 2010 14:54 mv_logo65x65.png
    Thank you for your question. There are species of Funnel-web spider in Victoria as mentioned in the information shown in this sheet. However, the spiders are not the Sydney Funnel-web and do not have the same venom issues as the Sydney species.

People are welcome to send an image of their spider to discoverycentre@museum.vic.gov.au and we can try and identify it. If the spider has been found in the Coronet Bay area it is more likely to be a species of Trap-door spider than Funnel-web spider.

http://museumvictoria.com.au/discoverycentre/infosheets/spiders-found-in-victoria/victorian-funnel-web-spider/

I did shoo a funnel web of some variety out of my flower pots about two years ago in north central Victoria - it was about 1.5 inches long and shiny, shiny black, a real horror-movie image of a spider. I didn't realise there were any in Victoria at all so I looked it up, and at the time all I could come up with were that there are varieties in Victoria, they're not the same as the Sydney funnel web, from what I could find, a bite will make you nauseous and headachy - but they were supposed to be found mostly in the Dandenongs, which is a bit of a trek from my flowerpots.

Oh sweeper redface.gifredface.gifredface.gif
    Im so embarrassed for you. You really are completely out of your depth here.
    redface.gifredface.gifredface.gifredface.gifredface.gifredface.gif

This is really funny. Is this supposed to be the new argument-winning tactic on boards.ie? Seriously, how camp can one approach to discussion possibly be? I'll tell you what - I'll nominate you for the 'Misguided effort at being patronising' award. You'll probably win. On the misguided, possibly not on the patronising - though you'll get marks for effort. :pac:

Whoa whoa whoa. Sweeper you need to relax man.
    Just because someone disagreed with you on the internet dosnt mean you should get your buddies from the museum involved and then lash out at me.

Take a deep breath and repeat this 'Its just the internet, if people want to be wrong about some stupid spiders....thats ok, because its just the internet'

No need to have a big strop about it. Jesus you are getting more embarrassing by the minute dude. I dont see how the 2 items you have quoted are conflicting tbh. Both say that sydney funnel web spiders are not found in VIC. Simple.

Conflicting with the links Jumpy posted.

All appear to be valid sources of information, yet they conflict.

Keep up, good lad.

(I'd tell you I'm embarrased for you, but I think that's a bit stupid.)

• Advertisement

Keep up, good lad.

I think its safe to say that the Sydney Funnel web is found throughout a lot of NSW, and is unlikely to acknowledge state borders. so may occasionally be found in some parts of Victoria, but never as far into the state as Melbourne.
    Besides, there are other funnel web spiders that are almsot are bad found elewhere. The blue mountains had its one name for the area too.

Mellor wrote: »
    I think its safe to say that the Sydney Funnel web is found throughout a lot of NSW, and is unlikely to acknowledge state borders.

We need passport control. :(

I've got orb spiders in my back yard. They frighten the life out of some of my friends - head out through the laundry door in the evening for a smoke, and there's a large web with a cream-coloured, two-inch spider in the middle of it at head height. They take down their webs in the day, perhaps leaving one or two guide strands that reach from gutter to ground (over nine feet), and rebuild the next evening. I have motion-triggered spots out there so the light usually comes on just as visitors are about to get a spider in the face. I have taken to warning people, I just forget sometimes. :D

Orbs, redbacks, huntsmen, are about the limit of what I can deal with. If Sydney funnel webs decide to migrate further south and inland I'm leaving. (Though it's mostly heavy clay soil out here in northern and north central Victoria, and I believe they have a preference for sandy soil so perhaps that'll keep 'em out.) Australia does cure your arachnaphobia though, through sheer exposure to lots of great big spiders.

Keep up, good lad.

This is really funny. Is this supposed to be the new argument-winning tactic on boards.ie? Seriously, how camp can one approach to discussion possibly be? I'll tell you what - I'll nominate you for the 'Misguided effort at being patronising' award. You'll probably win. On the misguided, possibly not on the patronising - though you'll get marks for effort. pacman.gif

This is really funny. Is this supposed to be the new argument-winning tactic on boards.ie? Seriously, how camp can one approach to discussion possibly be? I'll tell you what - I'll nominate you for the 'Misguided effort at being patronising' award. You'll probably win. On the misguided, possibly not on the patronising - though you'll get marks for effort. pacman.gif

:stalkerpac:

:stalkerpac:

Frenz?:)

We need passport control. :(

... If Sydney funnel webs decide to migrate further south and inland I'm leaving. (Though it's mostly heavy clay soil out here in northern and north central Victoria, and I believe they have a preference for sandy soil so perhaps that'll keep 'em out.)

I should probably mention, Nearly two years in Sydney, I haven't seen a Sydney Funnel Web. They aren't really common in built areas imo. Anyone I know that seen one was out, on site, it a bushy/grassy/greeny area

Frenz?:)

Frenzy! :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

There is a Golf Glub past Double Bay near Rose Bay.

Its the Royal Sydney Golf Club.

Try in there if you go into the rough in the trees ....you will find them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I've been tryin to find that Monty Python skit about Australian Animals,
    You cant go in the Water cos of the Sharks
    and you cant go on land cos of the funnelwebs
    So the safest place is off the Ground

So the solution is to stay suspended in the air??

well you Could do that
    But, A better idea would be

Teach the Funnelwebs to SWIM

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

oh jebus, as someone with arachnaphobia, do i need to get hypnosis before going to Australia:eek:

• Advertisement

ciagr297 wrote: »
    oh jebus, as someone with arachnaphobia, do i need to get hypnosis before going to Australia:eek:

Spiders are fine. Its the snakes you have to worry about.

My dog was killed by a Tiger snake that was under the stairs inside the house.
    Dog killed it as well though. Hero Dog.

Zambia wrote: »
    There is a Golf Glub past Double Bay near Rose Bay.

Its the Royal Sydney Golf Club.

Try in there if you go into the rough in the trees ....you will find them
    Gulp!!!
    I live across the road from this for nearly a year (east side of golf course). I remember at least on occasion coming home drunk and climbing over the fence, into the bushes, through the rough, on to the course and back out the way i came in.
    so, just because I haven't seen them, doesn't mean they aren't there, it means I don't look very hard.
    I
    Teach the Funnelwebs to SWIM

I remember reading that they can survive for ages under water. They often fall into pools, and are alive but still. People then remove them thinking they arre dead and get bitten

Oz defo wins the weird animal award

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »

I remember reading that they can survive for ages under water. They often fall into pools, and are alive but still. People then remove them thinking they arre dead and get bitten

I heard this too.

thats it, we're all fvcked, nowhere is safe over here, I'm glad my gaff is on stilts:D

there were reports of a Bullshark swimmin down the Ipswich HWY at goodna today :eek:

thats it, we're all fvcked, nowhere is safe over here, I'm glad my gaff is on stilts:D

there were reports of a Bullshark swimmin down the Ipswich HWY at goodna today :eek:

Stupid shark. It should have turned left at the M5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

How strange.

This afternoon when I got home from work & changed into casual clothes. I did things around the house and put on a load of washing. half an hour later I went to take it out and I felt something move on my left arm. Something was hanging down so I pulled it out. ...... yes it was the leg of a Gertrude (Huntsman) and it landed on the laundry floor. It just goes to show how vicious they are. It was inside my tee shirt for the best part of an hour and I did not get bitten. Lovely spiders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 tomcruiser

Peoples elbow them

LoL :D

Yeah the Huntsman is a harmless enough fella, still tho I would probably make an involuntary Flinch meself if one fell out of teh sun visor at 110 on the HWY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

When i was livin in Sydney, I start playing with a little spider out me back garden. It was only small, about an inch in diameter. I was tryin to catch it in a plastic cup to put in with antoher spider (hobo spider?) which we'd caught earlier. Anyway, the thing start lifting up its front and then start goin for me. literally jumped towards me, then back, then a few seconds later went for me again. I just kept moving me feet outta the way, obviously. Was only wearing flip-flops. This was only about 2/3 months into my stint in Oz. Hadnt a clue about spiders.

Anyway, later on I start looking into it and I'm still not 100%, but i think it was a funnel web i was messing with, if just a little smaller. maybe a baby one. The position of its legs are pretty much identical to funnel webs.
    It could have been some other spider but it did look a lot like a SFW.

One of my fave things about OZ was actually the spiders. I used to go lookin for them in trees and stuff. I had a pet redback. Absolutely tons of them in Perth.

Advertisement