Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best way to kill spiders?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

Sounded like it was. If it was black, ugly and aggressive when provoked most likely a funnel web. Especially if it reared up on it's back legs like that. Been watching lots of Youtube clips on Aussie wildlife, Steve Irwin was a legend. Off to Taronga Zoo as soon as I land in Sydney then the aquarium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Bansai

Are "big" spiders really a common appearance in households in Oz? I have no courage when it comes to spiders at all and even the smallest one would send me running a mile.

Heading to Oz in Sept for a year and meeting a "big" spider is not a comforting thought.

I've no problem with snakes whatsoever though, in fact I quite like them, even though they are more dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Yes they are common.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

davepatr07 wrote: »
    Ugly looking spider will always be thinking of that film if I see one. Having said that if they are good for keeping away roaches that's good enough for me.
    Spent the other night on the web researching about Aussie spiders so much so I'll be a biologist by the time I land there.

I saw that Youtube clip with the SA/Dutch dude showing them creeping out from the car sun visor onto your lap. Nosy little buggers though can see why they would indirectly kill you!

If I see one on the roof or ceiling of the bedroom is it safe just to leave it there or will I end up waking up with it on my face? :(

I'm told there are White tailed spiders here in NZ but havn't seen any the past year.

Ahh the lovely Huntsman, avoid killing at all cost as they eat the REd Backs! Easy said and kinda easy to do... Until you get stalked around the house by one the size of a dinner plate! (I swear it followed me through three rooms and back again! I should of put a leash on it and called it Rex!) :D
    New Zealand is home to about 2500 kinds of spiders, most of them harmless to people. Only some spiders are capable of biting humans. There are three species of spiders in New Zealand that should be avoided - the Katipo, the Redback and the White-tailed Spider.

The katipo (Latrodectus katipo) and the redback spider (Latrodectus hasselti) belong to belong to the same genus as the American black widow spider. These two are the only venomous spiders found in New Zealand. In both species it is the adult females that are capable of biting humans. Bites from both species are extremely rare and there is a safe and effective antivenom for both redback and katipo bites.

http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/82f4780aa066f8d7cc2570bb006b5d4d/a4e65bc46e3e9c38cc256d750010f8fb?OpenDocument

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/spiders-and-other-arachnids/5

Never saw a White tail or red back in my life in NZ I have a photo at home from a school trip of me holding a black Katipo (non-poison) on my hand at about 8years of age. The Katipo is very timid and its extremely rear for a person to see them let alone for them to bite.
    Jumpy wrote: »
    Spiders are fine. Its the snakes you have to worry about.

My dog was killed by a Tiger snake that was under the stairs inside the house.
    Dog killed it as well though. Hero Dog.

Are you for real? Inside the house? Where are you living in the outback? Use to go camping at a spot outside the Gold Coast where a young fella had been killed by a Tiepan, half the problem was the local hospital wouldnt beleive it was a Tipan as it wasnt part of their "usual" habitat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement