Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billy Connolly

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Crap
    A fall from grace for our Billy, used to really like him but the last couple of offerings have been very stale.

I'd definitely love to go for a pint with guy- the stories jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Funny
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    He's a tit.

So much so you voted against him twice ;)

I love Billy Connolly. What a guy. He's been doing stand up comedy of a very high standard for decades. I saw hiim live last year and it truly felt like a masterclass. He's miles ahead of 99% of the newer generations of stand up comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Galvasean wrote: »
    I love Billy Connolly. What a guy. He's been doing stand up comedy of a very high standard for decades. I saw hiim live last year and it truly felt like a masterclass. He's miles ahead of 99% of the newer generations of stand up comics.

+100000

couldn't have said it better! He has defined the industry and made it what it is today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Funny
    Unfair of me to compare him to the recent Boyle scandal.

Controversial though he can be, there is no malice in the man.
    (Not saying Boyle is malicious either.)

As he'd probably say himself: "IT'S A JOKE, FFS!"

Anyway, more funnies...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Crap
    I hold no ill feeling for the man and he's obviously very good at what he does, but I just don't find him that funny myself. It's all a lovely bit of whimsy and he tells stories well but, meh.

By the way, the people saying Hicks 'tried to appear cool' are talking out of their holes. Maybe he appears 'cool' to you, but don't insult the man by saying he was trying to impress you. Above all comedians, to say that about Hicks is completely and utterly missing the point. Before Stewart Lee I don't think I'd ever seen a comedian take self-parody to the extremes that Hicks did. But anyway, if it goes over your head then it's over your head.

People love Hicks because he broadened their minds as well as making them laugh. It was the things he made them laugh at. While lots of people may find Billy Connolly talking about a sandwich floating down a sewer attached to a sh*t as the high point of stand up comedy, some people have no problem with more profound ideas being discussed through the medium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Funny
    Try to be a little bit more sanctimonious, you are nearly at the top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Funny
    Henno30 wrote: »
    By the way, the people saying Hicks 'tried to appear cool' are talking out of their holes. Maybe he appears 'cool' to you, but don't insult the man by saying he was trying to impress you.

He doesn't appear "cool" to me, it's just that it was as obvious as hell that he was trying to come across that way. His whole act was one of the 'sarcastic intellectual' - do me a favour.

If people bought that crap, well good for them - but I think the guy was a fake. He was a spoiled little rich kid who just screamed and roared sarcastic observations and called them irony. Nobody in the history of humanity has bastardized the word 'irony' more than Bill Hicks did. He made it some kind of perceived commodity for the middle class. Everytime I hear or read someone say:

"Oh, I was being ironic, sorry you missed it".

I think to myself .. **** you Hicks.
    People love Hicks because he broadened their minds as well as making them laugh.

Broadened their minds?? Anyone that broadened their mind by listening to Bill Hicks must have been lacking to begin with. 'Oh look, Bill is talking about being high and how enlightening it is - he's a genius.'

He knocked people in interviews for advertising and even had part of his act where he asks anyone who works in advertising to go and kill themselves. HHmmm, let me think - now the people attended that show, how did they know it was on? Wouldn't have anything to do with "advertising" now would it??

It was the things he made them laugh at. While lots of people may find Billy Connolly talking about a sandwich floating down a sewer attached to a sh*t as the high point of stand up comedy, some people have no problem with more profound ideas being discussed through the medium.

You are summing up Billy with one gag, I am talking about Bill Hicks' whole act - that is the difference. He mainly pokes fun at others (while by putting on a red-neck accent) and shouting at some easy target such as Billy Ray Cyrus or Michael Bolton.

People say Dennis Leary ripped him off, maybe - but not before Hicks ripped off George Carlin and Lenny Bruce. Men you could tell believed what they were saying and you got the impression that both would be talking that way if you went round there house for dinner. I have seen the footage of Bill as a teenager and he is acting like a some downtrodden guy that the world fcuked over.

I have nothing against cynical humour or even someone using sarcasm, but when it's their whole fecking act and not even something that isn't even heart felt, nah - think I'll stick with the Big Yin myself. The middle-class
    angsty-teens will still think he had something profound to say I guess, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Crap
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    He doesn't appear "cool" to me, it's just that it was as obvious as hell that he was trying to come across that way. His whole act was one of the 'sarcastic intellectual' - do me a favour.

If people bought that crap, well good for them - but I think the guy was a fake. He was a spoiled little rich kid who just screamed and roared sarcastic observations and called them irony. Nobody in the history of humanity has bastardized the word 'irony' more than Bill Hicks did. He made it some kind of perceived commodity for the middle class. Everytime I hear or read someone say:

"Oh, I was being ironic, sorry you missed it".

I think to myself .. **** you Hicks.

Broadened their minds?? Anyone that broadened their mind by listening to Bill Hicks must have been lacking to begin with. 'Oh look, Bill is talking about being high and how enlightening it is - he's a genius.'

He knocked people in interviews for advertising and even had part of his act where he asks anyone who works in advertising to go and kill themselves. HHmmm, let me think - now the people attended that show, how did they know it was on? Wouldn't have anything to do with "advertising" now would it??

You are summing up Billy with one gag, I am talking about Bill Hicks' whole act - that is the difference. He mainly pokes fun at others (while by putting on a red-neck accent) and shouting at some easy target such as Billy Ray Cyrus or Michael Bolton.

People say Dennis Leary ripped him off, maybe - but not before Hicks ripped off George Carlin and Lenny Bruce. Men you could tell believed what they were saying and you got the impression that both would be talking that way if you went round there house for dinner. I have seen the footage of Bill as a teenager and he is acting like a some downtrodden guy that the world fcuked over.

I have nothing against cynical humour or even someone using sarcasm, but when it's their whole fecking act and not even something that isn't even heart felt, nah - think I'll stick with the Big Yin myself. The middle-class
    angsty-teens will still think he had something profound to say I guess, whatever.

That's a logic free rant, not an argument. You're obvious and inexplicable personal resentment for Hicks fatally undermines whatever point it is you are trying to make.

Similarly your amateur psychoanalysis of Carlin, Bruce, and Hicks resemble the angry ramblings of a lunatic, which is ironic enough in itself. Seriously the next time you sit at your keyboard to critique something, take a deep breath and try lay out a calm and rational argument. Try not to sound so bitter.

Funny
    That's a logic free rant, not an argument.

I was replying the points you made, do pay attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Funny
    Comparison of the two is futile, anyway.

Very different comedians.

I appreciate Bill Hicks. But for belly laughs - it's BC all the way.

• Advertisement

Funny
    Comparison of the two is futile, anyway.

Very different comedians.

I guess it's inevitable though.

Just as when the greatest film of all time is discussed, Citizen Kane will be trotted out by the non-thinkers.
    I appreciate Bill Hicks. But for belly laughs - it's BC all the way.

Agreed.

Advertisement