Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does tinned food ever go off?.

Options
  • 08-01-2011 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭

I found a tin of beef stew in the back of a press, the best before date is april 1998.. The can itself is from 1993. Just wondering if canned food has an indefinate lifespan, I want to try it out for the craic and see if it is still ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Does it have a best before date? If it doesn't then it has worn off due to age, if this is the case - it has expired and you shouldn't eat it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

I remember seeing very old cans being opened on tv and being declared fit to eat. According to this web site: http://www.foodreference.com/html/tcannedfoodshelflife.html

"Canned food has a shelf life of at least two years from the date of processing. Canned food retains its safety and nutritional value well beyond two years, but it may have some variation in quality, such as a change of color and texture. Canning is a high-heat process that renders the food commercially sterile. Food safety is not an issue in products kept on the shelf or in the pantry for long periods of time. In fact, canned food has an almost indefinite shelf life at moderate temperatures (75° F and below). Canned food as old as 100 years has been found in sunken ships and it is still microbiologically safe! We don't recommend keeping canned food for 100 years, but if the can is intact, not dented or bulging, it is edible".

Disclaimer: eating manky old food may cause illness or death

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Gordon wrote: »
    Does it have a best before date? If it doesn't then it has worn off due to age, if this is the case - it has expired and you shouldn't eat it..

Its a "Best Before Date"
    The OP was asking does it go off, the answer is yes of course it does go off eventually and it differs from food to food but most will last long long long after the best before date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭smallgarden

it could be safe to eat but i personally wouldnt risk it.there has been cases of botulism spores being present in tinned cans but there being no bulging which is normal sign of bacteria present in tinned cans

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

I found a tin of beef stew in the back of a press, the best before date is april 1998.. The can itself is from 1993. Just wondering if canned food has an indefinate lifespan, I want to try it out for the craic and see if it is still ok.

Russian Roulette with beef stew! :eek:

• Advertisement

Don't do it. It's a lose-lose situation. Even if it hasn't gone off, you'll still end up having to eat tinned beef stew...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

eat it and then follow the little white rabbit down the bunny hole

Advertisement