Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maternity Leave

• 08-01-2011 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hey,
    Myself and the girlfriend are living together, she is 6 months pregnant :D and all is well. She has started to fill out her maternity leave forms and in one of the sections it requires information regarding spouse/partner, particularly copies of my last 6 month pay slips! We are not married.

Can someone tell me why they want this information and if I submit information, will it affect my rate of tax? :confused:

Cheers,
    Napapa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

if you the spouse/partner are neither working, claiming a SW payment yourself, or only earning a very small wage, then your girlfriend may be able to claim for you as a dependent on her maternity benefit, but you will be means tested, thats why they want the payslips. if you are working and earning less than 100euro per week she will get 125 euro per week for you. if you are earning between 100 and 310 she would still get something. if you are signing for credits she would get 125. if you do not fit in these brackets just leave that section blank. your tax credits/cut off point will not be affected by the birth of your child as revenue recognises only married or single people, not co-habitees,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OP there is no implication is your girlfriend is claiming Maternity Benefit. If she has enough prsi contributions, she will get the maximum amount for the hours she works per week no matter what situation the other people living in the house are in. If not, it will be means tested so they will want to know these details and also as MrsByrne says.

Sorry OP to hi-jack, but Mrs Byrne, I have 1 child, is there any tax implication? higher cutoff point / tax credit? I am not married.

if the girlfriend has enough prsi paid she will get maternity benefit. the amount she gets paid will be based on 80% of her weekly wage in 2009. there is a minimum amt and a maximum amount, see welfare.ie, and she will get it for 26 weeks. if she does not have enough prsi she will not get any payment. there is no such thing as a meanstested maternity payment.

wmpdd3 if you are living as a family unit with the mother of your child and the child but are not married then there are no tax implications either positive or negative for you. married persons can claim the married persons tax credit but this does not apply to cohabitees:(. the tax office only recognizes single or married, unlike the dept. of social welfare which makes no difference between married or cohabiting. if you are living apart from the mother of your child but have access to the child then you can claim lone parent tax credit which is equivalent to the married persons tax credit. incidentally there is no tax credits for able bodied children

Advertisement