Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Holes?

Options
  • 08-01-2011 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

Just a thought you may like to comment on.

Recently a TV program said about black holes that we may actually be inside one. That the entire universe is inside a black hole that is in turn inside a bigger? universe.

It went on to say that black holes are other universes that are on a completely different scale of existance.

I am not sure what to think of this idea and thought you would like to voice your own opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

anythings possible. No one on earth knows. A new cosmological theory emerges regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Rubecula wrote: »
    Just a thought you may like to comment on.

Recently a TV program said about black holes that we may actually be inside one. That the entire universe is inside a black hole that is in turn inside a bigger? universe.

It went on to say that black holes are other universes that are on a completely different scale of existance.

I am not sure what to think of this idea and thought you would like to voice your own opinions.

What program, where did it get its information?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

What program, where did it get its information?

It was something that I think Brian Cox did on satelite TV. ( I may be wrong so don't hang me for it if I am)

It was just a small bit in the middle of the program that has been floating around in my head ever since.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

This isn't another one of those theories/ideas that has no evidence to support it or we can never get evidence for, is it? Just some maths and a good imagination? Sorry, I'm just getting a bit jaded by the amount of outlandish theories that are going around nowadays :D

Its an interesting idea alright, what does it mean by inside a black hole? So are we in a black hole that has the mass of our universe? Or is it more that the black hole is a 'portal' to our universe, I've heard that one plenty of times before. Did it mention black hole evaporation, that would probably be very important?

Advertisement