Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil tank siphoned

Options
  • 08-01-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Not relevant to those of us on gas but for people with oil tanks.

My folks were away over Chritmas and came back yesterday. The old man looked out the window of the tv room and saw the lock broken on the oil tank.

Some bast*rds had siphoned off half the tank, about 400 odd euros.

So if you have, or know people with central heating oil tanks, it might be worth getting a lock, a better lock or perhaps a sensor light. Or a big dog, a gun, etc etc. (Only kidding re the gun!)

P.S this was in Greystones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Dreadful what people will do. We can only expect this to get worse in these recessionary times.
    Problem with fitting a lock /a better lock is that they may damage the tank itself if they are so determined to steal the oil.
    I think the other options are the ones to consider (with the obvious exception).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

FirstIn wrote: »
    Not relevant to those of us on gas but for people with oil tanks.

My folks were away over Chritmas and came back yesterday. The old man looked out the window of the tv room and saw the lock broken on the oil tank.

Some bast*rds had siphoned off half the tank, about 400 odd euros.

So if you have, or know people with central heating oil tanks, it might be worth getting a lock, a better lock or perhaps a sensor light. Or a big dog, a gun, etc etc. (Only kidding re the gun!)

P.S this was in Greystones

your old lad wasn't the only one: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0108/1224287042088.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

hiding the tank with trellis or planting might be a good option for other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

Happened to us last year, not long after it had been filled. I'd never really heard of it happening ever before that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Quite a common occurence in Greystones.

• Advertisement

I see Woodies and ESB are selling a Watchman Oil monitor which triggers an alarm if there is a sudden decrease in oil level in your tank. Don't know how effective it is but might be worth investigating. I am sure they are widely available,

http://www.esbstore.ie/Product/Sensor%20Systems%20Watchman%20Alarm%20Oil%20Level%20Monitor/1243/100

Cheaper at Woodies sale.

p.s. I don't own Woodies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Quite a common occurence in Greystones.

Can you back that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A quick question,
    Would this kind of thing be covered under home insurance?

I can see why it wouldnt - difficult to prove etc, however, once you have the tank locked it is essentially a theft from your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭daithi2011

My brothers too in Greystones. twice in the last 3 years.
    Cant remember how it worked out with insurance, but might be worth giving them a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

danjo wrote: »
    I see Woodies and ESB are selling a Watchman Oil monitor which triggers an alarm if there is a sudden decrease in oil level in your tank.
    You probably wouldn't be able to hear the alarm though, with all the noise of the vehicle pumping the oil outside your window. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I see Woodies and ESB are selling a Watchman Oil monitor which triggers an alarm if there is a sudden decrease in oil level in your tank. Don't know how effective it is but might be worth investigating. I am sure they are widely available,

http://www.esbstore.ie/Product/Sensor%20Systems%20Watchman%20Alarm%20Oil%20Level%20Monitor/1243/100

Cheaper at Woodies sale.

p.s. I don't own Woodies :D

Oh no, not more alarms:eek:

jaffa20 wrote: »

Not to worry, sure they will probably steal the alarm as well. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Not to worry, sure they will probably steal the alarm as well. ;)
    yes to prevent their new oil getting stolen :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

kippy wrote: »
    A quick question,
    Would this kind of thing be covered under home insurance?

I can see why it wouldnt - difficult to prove etc, however, once you have the tank locked it is essentially a theft from your home.
    Anyway, wouldn't most people have an excess on their home insurance that would make it pointless to claim?

Anyway, wouldn't most people have an excess on their home insurance that would make it pointless to claim?

They would but the pointlessness of claiming would depend on:
    A: The excess
    B: The cost of replacing the oil that was stolen.

Thankfully have never been a victim of this crime so amnt sure what the averages of the value of the oil being stolen are.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Can you back that up?

It is quiet common in the Greystones area,it has been happening for years check with the Garda station.
    As a matter of fact it happened next door to the Garda Station two years ago:o

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Yes purely anecdotal but common knowledge that robbing oil from peoples tanks is a favoured activity for villains in the area, just like everyone knew to avoid The Cherry Blossom to stay healthy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

It's common in most towns exurban and country towns.

The difference is that Greystones is a considerably more awesome place to live in while having your oil stolen.

d'Oracle wrote: »

The difference is that Greystones is a considerably more awesome place to live in while having your oil stolen.
    haha, arguing about the relative awesomeness of two fairly unawesome places...... classic. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Greystones is an awesome place to live.

Anyone who says different either has not lived there in the last 5-10 years or doesn't leave their house.

Also where is this second place that I was supposedly talking about, but was actually not talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 TommyQ

My Brother (Mountmellick in Laois) had every last drop of oil stolen over the christas. They Literally turned the tank up on its end to make sure they emptied it. Absolutely Shocking. He's fit to kill at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Is common all over the country but particularly bad in border counties of Cavan, Monaghan and Louth. Do not put a lock on your tank or else they will just cut a hole in it and you would have to replace that as well as the actual oil. Is normally carried out using a van fitted with a tank in the back and a pump. Is a quick theft and is not uncommon for the thieves to phone the oil company and order another load only to steal that as well

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

TommyQ wrote: »
    My Brother (Mountmellick in Laois) had every last drop of oil stolen over the christas. They Literally turned the tank up on its end to make sure they emptied it. Absolutely Shocking. He's fit to kill at the moment.

Our whole road has just been done by these bastards over the last two nights.If i get my hands on them i will break their legs.My big ass dog scared them off last night,just a shame she was indoors and not outside.Any idea who is doing all this.I'm Mountmellick area too!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 the scorpion

jaffa20 wrote: »

Can the Oil watchman niveau be repaired who offer the service in Galway or mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Can the Oil watchman niveau be repaired who offer the service in Galway or mayo
    What?

Are you asking who can repair the "oil watchman niveau" in Galway or Mayo?"

If thats what you are asking then perhaps the Plumbing and Heating forum might be better

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1320

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement