Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maple syrup instead of molasses for cookies?

Options
  • 08-01-2011 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭

I want to bake some Big Soft Ginger Cookies later and don't have any molasses.

Can I substitute Golden Syrup (maple flavour) and use brown sugar instead of white to give the darker flavour instead?

Also is self raising flour the same as plain flour plus baking powder?

I'm not a cookie expert!, but I'd like to try :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Ideally, you could substitute black treacle for the molasses, but golden syrup and brown sugar will work just as well.

Yes, self-raising is just plain flour with chemical leavining agents added. In the case of this recipe however, using plain flour plus baking soda, not powder, is essential to give the cookies their characteristic cracked appearance.

Advertisement