Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new replacement double glazing fogged up

• 08-01-2011 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Got some low e units fitted as replacements, some were fogged up.

Two issues:

1) one of the panes arrives the wrong size. Guy gets new unit within the hour, but says it's fogged up as still going through the process. However, still partly fogged up 40 hours later. Do I have a problem or will it clear?

2) the units had a sticker on them in inner pane to ensure correct fit. Guy seemed to like pulling these off before fitting. Now in sunlight I see outline of sticker on outer pane. I'm sure that one is wrong way round. Does it matter, small unit, 400 x 400.

I think i'll be calling them back!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

CBYR1983 wrote: »
    Got some low e units fitted as replacements, some were fogged up.

Two issues:

1) one of the panes arrives the wrong size. Guy gets new unit within the hour, but says it's fogged up as still going through the process. However, still partly fogged up 40 hours later. Do I have a problem or will it clear?

2) the units had a sticker on them in inner pane to ensure correct fit. Guy seemed to like pulling these off before fitting. Now in sunlight I see outline of sticker on outer pane. I'm sure that one is wrong way round. Does it matter, small unit, 400 x 400.

I think i'll be calling them back!

Unit should not be fogged up, thats moisture inside the unit, there should be moisture absorbing crystals inside the spacer bar, which may clear it.

The stickers are to remind the fitter which side is out, if its the wrong way around its not going to be efficient.

Sound as if you have reason to get them back, ask the fitter to bring a ''K'' Meter, it confirms the unit is low e, and which side is out, small meter not expensive, he should have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Thankfully Saturday was a sunny day and the warmth seemed to speed up the process - the fogged pane cleared by the time I arrived back home that night - a full 50 hours after manufacture though.

I am hoping it is now good for a fair few years. I have read that once the dessicant gets fully saturated that's it.

I'm still surprised that the pane was fogged up to start with but I suppose if the manufacturing area is not totally dehumidified then vapour in air will end up in between the panes. It seems that is usual.

That was followed by two very cold nights that may have delayed process.

Would be reassuring to hear if anyone else had this issue on receipt of replacement double glazing. Probably would only be the case if it were emergency replacement. This particular pane was fitted less than an hour after manufacture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

it is quiet normal im a glazier and i often have to fit units but never had a single one back that was foged up dont worry about it

Advertisement