Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mains smoke alarm w/ battery backup

Options
  • 08-01-2011 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

just wondering is there any issue in the new regs with feeding a mains supplyed smoke alarm from a lighting circuit.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Keep them on an independant circuit and make sure if you have more than one that they're interlinked using the third wire at the smokie.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

is it ok to feed them from the lighting mcb or is a separate mcb required.
    ive often seen them fed from ceiling roses.(dodgy):rolleyes:
    another option is to feed them from your intruder alarm system if its easier then running a t&e back to the consumer board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the rules prob says independendent circuit

i prefer to connect them into a lighting mcb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea with a circuit wired back to the board for them i cant see a problem connecting the smoke`s circuit into the lighting mcb.

it's prob better to double up with lights

prevents users switching them off easily

• Advertisement

Yea an even better reason to double them onto the lighting MCB`s

it's the preferred method really for domestic

he did ask about the rules

last time i looked anyhow i think it said independent circuit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Quick related question, will ask here rather than start a new thread.

What's the latest regs for smoke / heat detectors? In a 3 bed semi is it heat detector in the kitchen and smoke at top of stairs (both inter-connected of course).

Is it normal just to use 3 core flex to connect them up? Can the earth be used as the signal wire? I assume the signal wire is low voltage as the system works in a power cut.

Has anyone tried these:-
    http://www.meteorelectrical.com/fire-safety_smoke-detectors_220v-240v-ionisation-smoke-alarm-c-w-battery-back-up.html

In a standard three bedroom house, there would be a smoke detector in the hall, on the landing, in the living room, and in an attic if converted, and a heat detector in the kitchen.

I wire them in 1.5 twin and earth, and a single 1.5 pvc/pvc for the signal link. I wouldnt be a fan of using an earth core for anything except as an earth, even if the circuit does not require it.

• Advertisement

Quick related question, will ask here rather than start a new thread.

What's the latest regs for smoke / heat detectors? In a 3 bed semi is it heat detector in the kitchen and smoke at top of stairs (both inter-connected of course).

Is it normal just to use 3 core flex to connect them up? Can the earth be used as the signal wire? I assume the signal wire is low voltage as the system works in a power cut.

Has anyone tried these:-
    http://www.meteorelectrical.com/fire-safety_smoke-detectors_220v-240v-ionisation-smoke-alarm-c-w-battery-back-up.html

they need a separate base as well-it's on the website

don't use the earth for interconnect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TheBadBadger

M cebee wrote: »

Good point, but having the fire alarm circuit independent from lighting has to be safer, no? I. E. If for whatever reason the selected lighting circuit were to trip out (I know, this would be a rare occurrence) during the night, you would have no audible fire protection!!

It would not be acceptable in a commercial, industrial installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TheBadBadger

M cebee wrote: »

Good point, but having the fire alarm circuit independent from lighting has to be safer, no? I. E. If for whatever reason the selected lighting circuit were to trip out (I know, this would be a rare occurrence) during the night, you would have no audible fire protection!!

commercial panels are wired on a dedicated circuit

- alarms will function on battery if mains fails com or dom

http://www.eielectronics.com/images/stories/pdf/FAQs/smoke_qa.pdf

see no.17

our building regs for fire alarms are based on BS5839: Part 6

If the dedicated smoke detector MCB tripped, it would be no different than the lighting one tripping, except the lighting one is more likely to be noticed reasonably quickly. In domestic situations i usually connect them to a lighting circuit.

Battery will operate them perfectly well during mains off times.

Advertisement