Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband availabilty?

• 08-01-2011 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

I'd like to get broadband service from UPC (our property can receive tv services but not broadband according to the check on their site).

Estates just a street or two away can get the full range, so I called UPC just now to be told, and I quote "the whole of Co. Dublin will have it by end of January".

Sounds like a pork pie to me. Anyone able to confirm? I don't want to go with privacy and online rights flaunters Eircom.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's nonsense from that UPC staff member. In my part of Dublin 2 there's cable dangling from gutters and held up by ESB wires. No signs yet that they're beginning an upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 gvzAxle

I currently live in Dun Laoghaire and phoned up UPC at the start of December. The guy I talked to insisted that Dun Laoghaire would be connected by the end of 2010, as is said on their site: http://www.upc.ie/customer_support/network_improvements/

Out of curiosity, I rang up again the next day and talked to a different person who said I'd probably get it in mid January. Sounds like no-one really knows in there. It would be nice if they provided a bit more information about which areas they are planning to add and when, at the very least they should update the above webpage.

I believe that Dun Laoghaire is being done at the moment, it's probably running behind schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm north county Dublin and I've been told it'll be a few months. A while ago they cabled from house to house along the soffits so hopefully it wont be too long. Living with three mobile at the moment, DL speeds of 50KB over the weekend. Slower than what I had 15 years ago.

I understood that everywhere which is cabled in north county Dublin was already broadband-enabled by UPC and Chorus/NTL. Swords and Malahide being the two big examples.

• Advertisement

Im in Lusk and while the houses are cabled there's no connection points installed yet. I'm in an older estate but they have UPC broadband in some of the newer ones already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I am in Sandyford and the hole estate can get it bar 4 houses and I have too live in 1 off them :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Effects wrote: »
    I'm north county Dublin and I've been told it'll be a few months. A while ago they cabled from house to house along the soffits so hopefully it wont be too long. Living with three mobile at the moment, DL speeds of 50KB over the weekend. Slower than what I had 15 years ago.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you in that I'm using 3 mobile. I'm waiting and waiting and waiting for UPC to activate broadband (even though my gaf can get UPC TV annd UPC Digital+) trying not to get a 12 month fixed line with someone else.

Due to Eircom's dodgy ethics and dealings with IRMA I won't be going anywhere near them.

Just can't see why UPC can't add on broadband if my area is already done?

Argh!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

In Dublin 8 and all around our street seems to be enabled. Hope we are soon as I'm an ex BT customer now with Vodafone, but not for one second longer than necessary.

Just spoke to the installer in Lusk who was connecting the junction boxes to the already installed cables. He said it would be a few more weeks until it was all connected but couldn't say when it would be up and running. He said a lot of people complained and didn't want the cables on their property so it's causing a big delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Philco71

Just spoke to the installer in Lusk who was connecting the junction boxes to the already installed cables. He said it would be a few more weeks until it was all connected but couldn't say when it would be up and running. He said a lot of people complained and didn't want the cables on their property so it's causing a big delay.

Thanks for the info. Im also in Lusk and have been waiting for their services to become available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

I'm in Lucan and wondering if anyone knows if or when it will be available, according to their site I can't get it. It really annoys me that nearly all of the new estates and a few oldish ones that are literally across the road can get it and I can't, stuck with Clearwire the past 5 years waiting on UPC to "upgrade" :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

Be careful what you wish for! UPC BB is not all it is cracked up to be, High peak time contention ratios, data transfer limits, no cable tv surcharges and 80 quid fines? Just read some of the UPC threads here!:confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 inz

This thing has been updated (may be old news, but first time I see it):
    http://www.upc.ie/media/2011/1/13/2011BuildPlanV13.png

Anyone know what "Proposed 2011 reseg/upgrade by cpr node" means?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭liamf

I dunno, but I spotted a while ago that all of Bray is "proposed" for an upgrade in 2011.

Does anyone know if "proposed" means "likely to go ahead" at all?

Because I would dump eircom so fast I'd get whiplash if UPC 20 or 30M bband was available in my area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

liamf wrote: »
    I dunno, but I spotted a while ago that all of Bray is "proposed" for an upgrade in 2011.

Does anyone know if "proposed" means "likely to go ahead" at all?

Because I would dump eircom so fast I'd get whiplash if UPC 20 or 30M bband was available in my area.
    I think it in planning stage which mean it could get done from any month of 2011 or might not it only one in blue which have the go a head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Reseg less work is required than a full rebuild ring. Its usually involves putting fibre deeper into an area(smaller node sizes), removing band I and making it an 860Mhz docsis 3.0 compliant network(VOIP & HD too). It may require some or all of this depends on the area.

A rebuild ring is usually a full cable replacement and upgrade. All of the highlighted areas on the map should be rebuilt this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mickyoc85

DingDong wrote: »
    Reseg less work is required than a full rebuild ring. Its usually involves putting fibre deeper into an area(smaller node sizes), removing band I and making it an 860Mhz docsis 3.0 compliant network(VOIP & HD too). It may require some or all of this depends on the area.

A rebuild ring is usually a full cable replacement and upgrade. All of the highlighted areas on the map should be rebuilt this year.

Does anyone know if the Ballinasloe area will ever get Broadband,i'm so sick of eircom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

I believe that Dun Laoghaire is being done at the moment, it's probably running behind schedule.

Any more info? Anytime I ring they just say its planned but no idea when.

I've TV with them near centre of Dun Laoghaire. Really want to get rid of eircom.

Anyone heard anything more about this in Lusk? Rand them a couple of weeks ago and they still say it isn't in Orlynn Park yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Anyone heard anything more about this in Lusk? Rand them a couple of weeks ago and they still say it isn't in Orlynn Park yet.

Any day now, I'm sure there will be a UPC sub_forum in the "Talk To" in Boards.ie
    just as there is for Three, O2, eircom, Vodafone :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone knows anymore about when UPC is coming to Lusk,
    than they can tell from this
    UPC_IE_network_improvements2.gif
    ..so no is the answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Orlynn Park is at a bit of Mexican standoff, some residents want the old non-active resident owned CATV replaced, while other don't so progress is very slow.

So the UPC guy called to the door today. He asked for permission to run the cable from the house behind us through our garden and then needs permission from a house across the street. He said we should be able to get it in three weeks but I'll won't hold my breath. Hope they get it sorted soon though. I'm sick of living with third world broadband.
    Surely there's no chance of the CATV coming back? The whole building and antenna is gone now. Who would pay to replace it? I don't care that much about the TV but I want access to decent broadband.

Advertisement