Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Early signs of HD failure??

• 08-01-2011 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭

I am trying to track down a problem on my pc. I think it might be hard drive related but I would welcome a second opinion.

Most of the problems occur at start-up when the computer hangs on the windows splash screen. Simply restart the computer and it starts up no problem. I looked in the event viewer and in the past 48 hours there are 21 instances of
    "Error ID 55 NTFS The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume /device/hard disk volume 2"
    I did as it asked and chkdsk found and repaired/deleted some errors.

But this morning when I turned on the computer I was greeted with "boot manger not found" press ctrl alt delete to restart, which I did and the computer started normally.

Just in case I did a virus/malware scan using avast, spybot and malwarebytes and found nothing.

My full system is
    E7500
    MSI P43-C51
    4gb Corsair DDR3 1600
    Powercolor 5850
    Corsair TX 850
    Samsung F3 1TB (primary drive)
    Samsung F3 1TB (storage drive)
    Western Digital Black 500GB (storage drive)
    Windows 7 pro 64 bit

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

What kind of chkdsk did you run? The standard one isn't much cop, you might have more luck with running "chkdsk /x /f /r" for a more thorough scan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Get HDTune, it has good real time health checks. Also go to the Samsung support website and get ES-Tool, it is their diagnostic tool which they require you to use when requesting an RMA in order to make sure there actually is a fault with your hard drive. You'll have to create a bootable CD. It will be pretty conclusive on whether there is a problem or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

tman wrote: »
    What kind of chkdsk did you run? The standard one isn't much cop, you might have more luck with running "chkdsk /x /f /r" for a more thorough scan...

I ran chkdsk/f
    Get HDTune, it has good real time health checks. Also go to the Samsung support website and get ES-Tool, it is their diagnostic tool which they require you to use when requesting an RMA in order to make sure there actually is a fault with your hard drive. You'll have to create a bootable CD. It will be pretty conclusive on whether there is a problem or not

I just ran both hd tune and Samsungs hutil and both found no errors.

By the way thanks for the help guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

I just downloaded this. Don't know if its any good yet perhaps it may be of some use.

http://majorgeeks.com/Passmark_DiskCheckup_d3464.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

JOSman wrote: »
    I just downloaded this. Don't know if its any good yet perhaps it may be of some use.

http://majorgeeks.com/Passmark_DiskCheckup_d3464.html

HDTune does the exact same thing i.e. Display the SMART status values

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

I use spinrite to try and repair any issues like that with the hard drive.

Its not a free program but it is very useful, although it can take a long time to run.

Make sure you backup any data as soon as possible to avoid data loss.

Advertisement