Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista startup repair help needed

Options
  • 08-01-2011 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am trying to repair a sick laptop for a friend.

The hardware is ok - I could load Hiren's boot cd no problem.

Vista won't start - I get this mesage :

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change may be
    the cause.

File : \windows\system32\winload.exe

Info : THe selected entry could not be loaded because the application
    is missing or corrupt.

I got a Vista repair boot cd, and booted to it.

I tried the Startup Repair tool. It failed to resolve the problem.

I got the message :

Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically.

Then there is a list of problem details :

Problem Event Name : StartupRepairV2

Problem Signature 01 : External Media
    Problem Signature 02 : 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0

and the list goes on to Problem Signature 10.

Anyone know how to fix this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Give this a go: Turn off the laptop, unplug all external drives and power it up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

No external drives connected, still no joy.

I can't even get into safe mode.

If I get the serial number of Windows Vista using Hiren's boot cd,
    could I do a re-install?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

What is Hiren's Boot CD........

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jak/mar

Try using a Vista recovery disk to repair windows.
    http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/download-windows-vista-x64-recovery-disc/
    When you have booted from the cd select your language and look in one of the corners and it should say "Repair". Run that and it should repair the loading problem.

[QUOTE=jak/mar;69952911]Try using a Vista recovery disk to repair windows.
    http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/download-windows-vista-x64-recovery-disc/
    When you have booted from the cd select your language and look in one of the corners and it should say "Repair". Run that and it should repair the loading problem.[/QUOTE]

I tried that, using that disk is where I got the error message detailed above.

The computer is definitely legitimate, but I don't have the Vista re-installation disk.

FAO MODERATOR:
    Is it ok to discuss Hiren's boot CD in here?

• Advertisement

If you can, try using System Restore to undo any changes made to Window's files. Restore it to the closest date that you remember it working (that should actually be the last restore point, since it wouldn't - shouldn't - create a new restore point if Windows isn't booting properly). :)

Wndows Vista - System Restore: frequently asked questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭WildOscar

I can't even get into Windows to do a system restore :(

I just got that Ultimate Boot CD. There are loads of options and tools,
    any ideas on which I should use?

That Vista Recovery Disk that jak/mar recommended says it can perform a System Restore.

I just got that Ultimate Boot CD. There are loads of options and tools,
    any ideas on which I should use?
    can you just boot into windows and do system restore?
    what about vista recovery console. just a suggestion I do not have much experience witrh the ubcd

• Advertisement

WildOscar wrote: »
    can you just boot into windows and do system restore?
    what about vista recovery console. just a suggestion I do not have much experience witrh the ubcd

I can't get into windows vista at all. :confused:

I can't get into windows vista at all. :confused:
    what happens when you boot the cd?
    Did you try the Win PE? Can you get to hard disk from that and use system restore

• Registered Users Posts: 17 snowman6416

hi all

i have a promblem with my home pc,

it went into safe mode one night,

have tried to to reboot it by the f8 key , nothing happen,
    she window vista, and don't have a recovery disc,
    so i downloaded a recovery for it but nothing happening the disc is working, but it still in safe mode,

was wondering could someone help me please?

snowman6416

hi all

i have a promblem with my home pc,

it went into safe mode one night,

have tried to to reboot it by the f8 key , nothing happen,
    she window vista, and don't have a recovery disc,
    so i downloaded a recovery for it but nothing happening the disc is working, but it still in safe mode,

was wondering could someone help me please?

snowman6416
    can you get to msconfig? start/run/msconfig
    What is ticked under general tab and boot tab

Can you reboot it without f8? does f8 bring a screen like this

what recover did you download?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

Just boot up with the Vista DVD in the drive and boot from the vista disk.

Then use the repair option. If that does not work, reinstall windows, make sure you do not reformat your hard-drive. Windows setup will not delete your old files, however you might need to reinstall some programs.

From the error it looks like you have an issue with your hard-drive. Could be bad sectors on your disk

Just boot up with the Vista DVD in the drive and boot from the vista disk.

Then use the repair option. If that does not work, reinstall windows, make sure you do not reformat your hard-drive. Windows setup will not delete your old files, however you might need to reinstall some programs.

From the error it looks like you have an issue with your hard-drive. Could be bad sectors on your disk
    he tried that I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 snowman6416

thank you for you reply

when into msconfig

yea did brought up the box with general and boot in it, so under boot the safe mode was ticked, so i un ticked it, and everything same to be back to normal

cheers and thank you again

snowman6416

you're welcome happy to help. Might be a good idea to make recovery disks. if you have a recovery partition you should be able to burn disks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

OP did you resolve this issue and if so how ? I'm in a similar situation since my Windows Vista performed updates on Sunday evening. Laptop keeps running "Startup Repair" and constantly returns "Startup Repaid cannot repair this computer automatically".

I can get into a "System Recovery Options" list:
    • Startup Repair
    • System Restore
    • Windows Complete PC Restore
    • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    • Command Prompt
    • Dell Factory Image Restore

I have tried running System Restore from this menu to no avail :confused: I don't have any recovery disk (Not supplied I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Laptop keeps running "Startup Repair" and constantly returns "Startup Repaid cannot repair this computer automatically".

I don't have any recovery disk (Not supplied I think).

Zombie thread? :D

Make and model of your laptop?

• Advertisement

Dell Inspiron 1720.

Dell Inspiron 1720.

Hit F8 during the POST screen (Dell Logo), this should launch the Dell Factory Image Restore facility (unless the recovery partition has been nuked). This will restore your laptop to the state it was in when it came out of the box.

Note: everything will be overwritten, you better have a backup of your data. If not, you should back up your files them with a Linux Live CD (Knoppix, for example) to an external HDD before you restore the laptop.

Torqay wrote: »
    Hit F8 during the POST screen (Dell Logo), this should launch the Dell Factory Image Restore facility (unless the recovery partition has been nuked). This will restore your laptop to the state it was in when it came out of the box.

Note: everything will be overwritten, you better have a backup of your data. If not, you should back up your files them with a Linux Live CD (Knoppix, for example) to an external HDD before you restore the laptop.

Thanks, haven't backed up my files of course !! So basically what you are say is partially install a linux os and use this to copy files from my hd before performing a factory restore ?

what you are say is partially install a linux os and use this to copy files from my hd before performing a factory restore ?

No, what I'm saying is that you should boot from a Linux Live CD. The OS will be loaded into the system memory and does not affect the hard drive at all. You will be able to access all partitions of the hard drive, find your user folder and copy your docs, pics, music, videos, favorites, etc. onto an external HDD.

Torqay wrote: »
    No, what I'm saying is that you should boot from a Linux Live CD. The OS will be loaded into the system memory and does not affect the hard drive at all. You will be able to access all partitions of the hard drive, find your user folder and copy your docs, pics, music, videos, favorites, etc. onto an external HDD.

Sound, will look into doing this, download the iso and mount it onto a disc, reboot the laptop and set the boot order so that Knoppix loads.

Sound, will look into doing this, download the iso and mount it onto a disc, reboot the laptop and set the boot order so that Knoppix loads.

If you don't have ISO burning software, ImgBurn will do the trick.

You wouldn't have to change the boot order, just hit F12 at the POST screen and then select the onboard CD/DVD drive.

Make sure the external drive is connected when you power it up, so it will be detected by the OS.

Thanks again. I've installed ubuntu on an older laptop before by usb key so i'll give it a belt. I'll have to use usb in this case as well cause this netbook hasn't got a cd/dvd drive.

Do not install Linux. Use UNetBootIn to create a bootable USB stick or memory card and run the Live CD from there. Again, do not install, chances are that the installation will kill your recovery partition, which is your only option to reinstall the original OS if you don't have the disks. Use it only to retrieve your files.

Ran knoppix by usb key exactly as you said with ext hd connected and loaded fine, desktop is showing a number of hard disks, 2 of these being the usb and ext hd. I can't seem to copy the other two to my ext hd, I have tried right clicking on them and making them writable to no avail. Should i be able to browse documents or pictures from my internal hd easily cause I can't see anything familar at all bar a few folders mentioning dell

• Advertisement

The internal HDD is devided (probably 3, maybe 4 partitions on a Dell Computer with Vista), you're looking for the partition with a folder USERS, in there look for your user name and you'll find sub folders like documents, music, pictures, desktop, favorites, etc.

And here's a little guide How To Backup Files With Knoppix

Advertisement