Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Polls?

Options
  • 08-01-2011 12:50pm

I'm not sure if this is a common problem or if it is just on my side, but a recurring problem for me is when I vote on a poll, it returns back to the thread, but it goes back to before I voted i.e. the results don't show. When I try to vote, it tells me that I have already voted on this poll.

Has this happened for anyone else?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Yep it's happened for me a couple of times lately too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This has always being the case for me. I assumed it's so that you're not taken away from the thread page after you've voted on a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

when posting a poll there are three options:

always show results of a poll

hide results

hide results until the poll has closed

the default is the first option. If the poll is not showing you the effect of your vote but is registerign that you have voted, then most likely the last option is selected (I think, but I'm not 100% the second option shows the result to those who have voted). Once the poll period has expired, the result should be visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

LoLth wrote: »
    when posting a poll there are three options:

always show results of a poll

hide results

hide results until the poll has closed

the default is the first option. If the poll is not showing you the effect of your vote but is registerign that you have voted, then most likely the last option is selected (I think, but I'm not 100% the second option shows the result to those who have voted). Once the poll period has expired, the result should be visible.

The thing is that even with the first option selected, once you vote on a poll it doesn't take you to the 'poll result' page, it stays on the thread page with the poll options still available to select, as if you had yet to vote on it.

Pretty much exactly what My Name is URL said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, seen it too. Once you've voted the page refreshes but looks like you still have to vote.
    When you click an option it tells you you have already voted.

FF3.6.13 on XPsp3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Seen it happen to meself a few times... It's kinda like that thing where sometimes you might have to refresh the page to see your reply to a thread.

I'd suspect it's the same reason. Your vote being submitted would kinda be like a reply...

I just hit refresh and it updates for me when it doesn't look like I voted.

Although to be honest, only see this happening on the phone more so, then when I'm on a PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

All it is that sometimes the page is accessed from your cache instead of reloaded.

Happens sometimes after posting replies in a thread also from time to time.

Refresh always fixes it.

Advertisement