Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Froebel college (primary school teaching)

• 08-01-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hey, i want to do primary school teaching this year & i am confused on what order to put my colleges down in my cao. for this reason i would like to know everything there is to know about doing primary school teaching in froebel college dublin and the college itself. any info atal would be greatly appreciated :) Please help guys because so confused :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

Don't put froebel b4 mary I,pats or Marino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

pooch90 wrote: »
    Don't put froebel b4 mary I,pats or Marino.

What is your basis for such an argument? Have you gone to all of these colleges or just jumping on the bandwagon that it is generally acknowledged that Mary I, Marino and St. Pats are better than Froebel College? Because that statement has no credibility.

Froebel is a fantastic college from personal experience but the type of teacher you become and getting a job has little to do with what college you go to. The standard of Teacher training in Ireland is highly regarded and all colleges are producing highly qualified graduates as well as ones which you would ideally not place in front of a class unfortunately.

Go with whatever college you feel is best for you. Bear in mind that Froebel College will be moving to the NUI Maynooth campus in September 2013.

Good Luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dreamer92

Thanks for the help.. much appreciated :) but what is the area like that froebel is situated in? iv heard its very posh or is that true? as im from the country :P & is it very expensive to live there?

Blackrock is a very nice place to live but it can be expensive. However there is ample student accommodation in the vicinity due to UCD and UCD Smurfitt in walking distance of the college or on one of the major bus routes close to the college. You just have to look around. The College has a list of accomodation availible to prospective students also when they are offered a place.

Don't worry about being form the country, most of the college is. :D If you need any more help throw me a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

Sorry for earlier short reply.i was talking from a job possibility point of view. Was in no way trying to imply you wouldn't be as good a teacher as someone who went to the other colleges.however,many principals are old school principals and look more favorably on applicants from mary i,pats and marino. It's not a view with which I agree but it is a real reflection of the hiring process. OP please don't let the country thing rule your decision. It can be tough to move to a city and can take a while to settle but the advantage of going to college is that it makes it much easier to meet people and you'll soon have a great Support network around you.

• Advertisement

pooch90 wrote: »
    Sorry for earlier short reply.i was talking from a job possibility point of view. Was in no way trying to imply you wouldn't be as good a teacher as someone who went to the other colleges.however,many principals are old school principals and look more favorably on applicants from mary i,pats and marino. It's not a view with which I agree but it is a real reflection of the hiring process. OP please don't let the country thing rule your decision. It can be tough to move to a city and can take a while to settle but the advantage of going to college is that it makes it much easier to meet people and you'll soon have a great Support network around you.

You're right and too be honest its very unfair that often that is the way candidates are shortlisted for interviews. But factors such as knowing a person in the school, having worked in the school previously, a principal knowing one of your referees, the contents of your CV or examination and teaching practice grades can also lead to teachers getting jobs among other factors.

Its the same in most careers and unfortunately more often than not, its not about how good of a teacher you are but who you know.

I agree with pooch90, choose the college which you think is best for you not what society dictates and tells you is "better". Each college offers different advantages and all are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dreamer92

Thanks guys :) uv been good help.. :)

Advertisement