Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marino College (Primary School Teaching)

• 08-01-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hey, i want to do primary school teaching this year & i am confused on what order to put my colleges down in my cao. for this reason i would like to know everything there is to know about doing primary school teaching in Marino college dublin and the college itself. any info atal would be greatly appreciated :) Please help guys because so confused :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Apollo123

I honestly don't know much about the course, but here is a link to the St. Pat's website which will have some info on it :).
    http://www.spd.dcu.ie/main/courses/undergraduate/b_ed-intro.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Isn't Marino affiliated with Trinity? Why is this posted in the DCU forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Not 100% where this should live but as there are other similar thread here I'll put it here. Apologies if it's the wrong place!

OP : Hopefully you'll get useful replies here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭ocli64

Im not one hundred percent sure on the course content in marino as i go to St.Pats but i know that the qualification you receive is exactly the same as that of the other teaching colleges except you must do 4 years instead of 3. For the fourth year you attend classes part time as far as i know and it is really just a formality so that trinity will award the degree as they only recognise 4 year courses.

Another difference between the 2 courses is that marino students go on classroom observation every friday for the first semester followed by teaching practice. In pats there is a 3 week block of teaching practice in march/april.

Also in marino as far as I know irish is compulsary, in pats you can choose 2 academic subjects to study and irish can be one of them so you still have the option of choosing it. In pats if you dont choose irish you have to complete a course in professional irish anyway.

Obviously because I go to pats im going to tell you to put it down first but at the same time I know people in marino that love it too so really your decision is whether you want to do it in 3 years or 4.

If you have any other, more specific questions let me know and i can try help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

If Marino is four year course does that mean that you could work in Oz without dip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 dreamer92

Thanks so much for that help ocli64 :) I am def going to put pats down first but im just thinking about after that incase i dont get the points for pats :confused: I think il put marino second now after being reassured that its just as good as pats ..Thanks a mil :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 littlewopper

Hi
    I went to marino, am out for 7 years now and it has changed a little but mainly the same i think. You do a three year course same as mary i and pats but instead of getting an honour/pass degree at the end of the three years you earn a pass degree. You then have the option of doing the fourth year. It is for 2 hours after school 4 days a week. It used to happen in trinity but has moved to marino from this year on i think. Its actually a very enjoyable year with practical subjects to choose from such as hands on science.

Every Monday students from marino go to trinity for lectures in the arts building. Tue-Thur lectures are in Marion. Unlike pats you dont (or didnt) pick elective subjects but there is an emphasis on Irish and English.

I really enjoyed my time in Marino, its a lovely college. It was my forst choice because when i went to visit it i loved it. At the end of the day it is no better or worse that any other college. good luck with the exams :)

PS-You can teach in Oz without the dip (i have done) as officially you will have done a 4 year course if you complete the optional year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 emma m

im doing o.t in tcd but thinking of transferring next year just worried if i forgot some irish and if d standard is very high in marino?also is there many hours?

emma m wrote: »
    im doing o.t in tcd but thinking of transferring next year just worried if i forgot some irish and if d standard is very high in marino?also is there many hours?

All the primary teaching courses have fairly long hours, pretty much 9-5 with a half day on friday. I guess OT has long hours too? You will need to have a higher C3 at least in Irish, but you would get back into it, if you've 'forgot' your irish !! Just to note that there are VERY VERY few jobs in teaching at the moment, and it's looking very bleak for the next few years. Many young teachers are heading to the UK or Oz for work, so think long and hard before heading back next year to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 emma m

thanks!i have heard though that the government is making class sies smaller and the number of birth rates is rising?so hopefully that will bring demand in the near future!i wouldnt mind those long hours if it the course was ok..i just hate the o.t course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

emma m wrote: »
    thanks!i have heard though that the government is making class sies smaller and the number of birth rates is rising?so hopefully that will bring demand in the near future!i wouldnt mind those long hours if it the course was ok..i just hate the o.t course!

It's the other way round - they're talking about making teacher numbers smaller and increasing class sizes:(

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/union-condemns-proposal-to-cut-teacher-numbers-527290.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 alil93

I'm currently studying geography and sociology in trinity, however am thinking of transferring to primary school teaching. Just wondering if anyone knows how to go about transferring? =)

alil93 wrote: »
    I'm currently studying geography and sociology in trinity, however am thinking of transferring to primary school teaching. Just wondering if anyone knows how to go about transferring? =)

Are you going to finish your degree? If so you can apply for the 2-year PGCE. IF not, you can't simply 'transfer', you will have to apply through the CAO with your points. Get cracking on it now, I think you can apply by the 1st February to pay a lower application fee. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 alil93

Thanks, I've decided that I'll finish my degree and then if I still want to do primary teaching after then I'll do it. =)

Advertisement