Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim, Bike, Run....if only it was that simple!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hey ElD are you doing any high cadence sessions on the turbo, say holding +105/110 cadence. I was doing a good few of those sessions in the Base phase and i found them very helpful in improving my cycling cadence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Yea what shotgun said. :D

I was just wondering what size ring you were in on the back to get up knockmaroon in the big ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

nomadic wrote: »
    Yea what shotgun said. :D

I was just wondering what size ring you were in on the back to get up knockmaroon in the big ring?

Thanks lads. That does make sense MCOS, cheers.

Last year Jacky I did a lot of cadence work which made me a much better cyclist. So I am returning to that work once a week in two weeks time. Actually it was those turbo sessions I sent you that helped greatly.

I'm not sure Nomadic re the ratio I was going up knockmaroon. If I had to guess I would say 50/23, I will keep an eye out for it next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Dude, just read your report on the cycling forum. You definitely shouldnt have been in group 1, you d be miles better off going with group 2 or group 3 even.

To give you an idea of the groups:

1 - newbies
    2 - mix of okay lads, few vets and some fat sprinters. This group will motor on the flats but slow significantly on the hills generally
    3 - A4 class riders
    4- A3's
    5 - A1's & 2's

Try group 2 next week, when i get back i ll start in that and try get into 3 as soon as i get myself proper fit. You re a better cyclist than me at a guess so your only doing a training spin in group 1.

I did a couple of races in group 1 last year but had only done about 300-400km, and after 2 I was f'ucked out for sandbagging. That says it all.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Dude, just read your report on the cycling forum. You definitely shouldnt have been in group 1, you d be miles better off going with group 2 or group 3 even.

To give you an idea of the groups:

1 - newbies
    2 - mix of okay lads, few vets and some fat sprinters. This group will motor on the flats but slow significantly on the hills generally
    3 - A4 class riders
    4- A3's
    5 - A1's & 2's

Try group 2 next week, when i get back i ll start in that and try get into 3 as soon as i get myself proper fit. You re a better cyclist than me at a guess so your only doing a training spin in group 1.

I did a couple of races in group 1 last year but had only done about 300-400km, and after 2 I was f'ucked out for sandbagging. That says it all.

Thanks dude.....sorry to hear about you killing the log as per my PM. Great to see though you are willing to advise here on my log...don't be a stranger :)

Thanks for the breakdown of the groups dude. While we can't really say who's a better cyclist and all that it can be said that being in group one did me no favours last night. Or did it?? I mean I got to ride solo for a whole lap of a tough course. I think this will stand to me. However from a racing point of view it did not help at all. So I will give group 2 a shot next time out.

Weds Eve 11th May

Plan Club League Race (Cycling)
    Actual Club League Race (Cycling)

So here is the above mentioned Race Report:

Well last night was my first proper league race (did one last year but it was a TT). I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. My head was full of questions throughout and I just did my best in doing what I thought was right.

I was off in group 1 and just as we got moving a big lorry beat us to the first left turn. So question no. 1 - "should I get in behind that?" Only two did this so I thought that I would stick with the majority (majority rules kinda thing) But as I watched those two go further and further into the distance the more I thought "i should have gone with..." Anyway stayed in the group and we were working away fine.

First time up the Nags Head and I was just doing my best not to waste too much energy as I knew we had 3 more climbs up it. So I was spinning away at the top of the group, half way up I looked back and notcied that I had pulled away from the rest. This brought up question no. 2 - "do I slow up on a hill and re-group?" I thought 'no' as this would be too difficult, 'try re-grouping again after the hill'. The thing is by the time I was up and over the next guy back was a good bit back and I was now on a fast section. So I took it easy for about a minute to try and re-group but decided "feck it just go and use it as training", anyway there was only one guy behind me that I could see and he was a long way back and probably waited to re-group himself.

So a whole lap on my own. The two in front were nowhere to be seen even on the really long parts. I decided to keep a nice fresh cadence of 100 rpm this way ensuring that I didn't burn the legs off myself for when I would eventually be caught myself. I was averaging a nice speed of 36km/h and on the main road all the way up to the turn for Nags again 31km/h. So wasn't doing too bad.

Then half way up the Nags a group went flying by and then another. I wasn't able to latch on but when the third group came by I was able to. I stuck with this group all the way around to Nags for the 3rd time. I did plenty of turns at the top of this group as I didn't want to fall too far back into it. 3rd time up the hill and I was struggling but somehow found an extra bit in me half way up and got back 3/4 positions.

I felt shattered but had a real sense of satisfaction. 5 weeks ago I was dropped on this course (Ben McKenna) so I was used to riding it alone I guess anyway. My last question is should I have been in group 2? Would this have served me better-in the sense that I wouldn't have been isolated so early on.

Cheers to all the organisers and marshals, I really really enjoyed it.

Time:
    Dist:
    HR:
    Cad:
    Speed

Ovaerall Time:
    Overall Dist:

I will fill in the stats later.

Thurs Morn 12th May

Plan Easy Swim/Core Work
    Actual Easy Swim/Core Work

After the race last night I was starving! It was 10pm when I got in the door and my house mate and GF had put on a spread for me......chips, pizza and chicken nuggets :eek: So not the pasta and fish I had thought but still...a nice treat I thought + did I mention that I was starving?! So after all the racing excitment and full tummy I just could not sleep until 1:30.

Dragged myself out of bed for 7 and got to the gym for some core work and then into the pool for 30 min of easy swimming and drills. A nice recovery session actually.

Time 1:20
    Dist 1,000m

• Advertisement

I can never sleep till about 1 myself after club races, far too alert busy coughing up a lung. Fair play for getting out of bed this morning after that.

Thurs Eve 12th May

Plan Club Run Session
    Actual Club Run Session

Strong wind a blowin down by the track this evening so half the sets were into the wind and half with it. The session was (300m X 3 with 30 sec RT + 5 min easy + 200m X 3 with 30 sec RT) X 2.

So with he wind at my back I was hitting the 300m at 52/53sec and against 54/54sec. The 200s with the wind were 31/32 sec and against 33/35. I was feeling it from the off and thought 'O sh!t, I wont last these" but funny enough I grew into them and felt strong even on the last. My coach is really trying to hammer home the fact that I have to shorten my stride. When I do I must say I feel much more efficient i.e less f@cked. Anyway good session and good day.

Time 1:30
    Dist 11.5km

Still trying to find time to get back to everyone else logs, although I have been dipping, just want to give it the time it deserves. So this weekend a nice cup of tea and catch/leaving my infinite words of wisdom time ;)

Fri Morn 13th:( May

Plan Club Swim
    Swim Club Swim

Good session this morning although I wasn't meeting my RT's. The main set was:
    5 x 100m off 1:45 (coming in on 1:43 - 1:50)
    50 easy
    5 x 100m off 1:45 (coming in on 1:46 - 1:55)
    50 easy
    5 x 100m off 1:50 (coming in on 1:48 - 2:00)

So obviously struggled but.....I did feel strong, it's just the turn over of my hands that lets me down. The coach gave me 3 speed sets to include when doing my drill/easy session on Thurs mornings-sweet.

Dist 2,500m

So the swimming is about two weeks behind my running and cycling, in the sense that I started adding speed work into those two disciplines about 2 weeks ago. I have already noticed a difference in the running and cycling-my cadence in both is beginning to rise and I am feeling a little bit faster. This is really encouraging 6 weeks out from my first A race. So I hope the swimming will follow suit-and I am sure it will. But I really need to get back to revising my swim time for Galway 70.3 (16 min 1,000m pool TT time :eek: WTF was I thinking!)

One week to first tri of 2011-hard to believe :o

Fri Morn 13th May

Plan Turbo Session No. 30
    Actual Turbo Session No. 30

Tough session but lots of 100rpm stuff so that will do me good.

Time 1hr
    Dist 29.6km
    Cad 97 ave
    Watt 207 ave

Ended up not doing any testing this week-decided it was just best to keep the head down and get my sessions in. So testing will take place in two weeks on a recovery week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yep, training weeks for training and test on rest weeks. You will have a little mor eenergy for the test and more recovery time. Well done on the bike race, training going well in general. Keep the 16min 1k TT goal, you will get there. I thought about it last year and figured it was nigh on impossible... then had a good TT one night over the winter and surprised myself. Keep the faith :)

• Advertisement

Yep, training weeks for training and test on rest weeks. You will have a little mor eenergy for the test and more recovery time. Well done on the bike race, training going well in general. Keep the 16min 1k TT goal, you will get there. I thought about it last year and figured it was nigh on impossible... then had a good TT one night over the winter and surprised myself. Keep the faith :)

Cheers man. Ya I knew it wasn't a good idea testing this week so glad I didn't. 16min 1k TT?? O I suppose one can dream...but you are right, just need to stick at it at some day perhaps, there are no shortcuts-it's just bloody hard work and even more dedication.

Sat Morn 14th May

Plan OW Session
    Actual OW Session

Meet BetterThanHoyte and Bambaata for an early morning OW session. Not as cold as last week but choppier and a strong drift. I practiced breathing from one side on the way out and the other on the way back because if you didn't you'd just yet a mouthful of sea water :( Delighted now after all my bi-lat practice that I can switch so easily. Did two laps this time, Bambaata measured it at c.300m per lap, spent about 20/25min in there and really enjoyed it. You get a nice feeling after an OW swim that you just don't get after a pool session.

Sat Morn 14th May

Plan Run Session
    Actual Run Session

So after the swim, back to the house to grab my gear and off to the park and the polo grounds. The session was

WU - 2.5km
    1km flat out - 3:10
    6 min easy
    10 x 150:

1. 0:23
    2. 0:23
    3. 0:22
    4. 0:22
    5. 0:22
    6. 0:21
    7. 0:22
    8. 0:22
    9. 0:23
    10. 0:22

CD 2.5k

Strong wind against us (me and club mate) for half of the 1km TT, put behind us for other half, faster than last week so got to be happy.

The 150's were more like 143's and wind assisted. Felt so good doing these though I must say, delighted, finally feeling fast again :)

A good day :)

Here is Weds nights race - thought I could go back to that post and edit in the stats but sure here is the link (I forgot to start it till about 5km in)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/85474516

Sun Morn 15th May

Plan c.80km with 3 x 5km TT efforts
    Actual 60km on the turbo with 3 x 5km TT efforts

When I woke up early this morning and headed outside I just didn't have the heart to go out in the rain and it was more the cold that put me off. Strange for me as I usually don't care but I just have a feeling that after a pretty tough week I could be on the brink of a cold or something (usually this time of year I do get something-anything going). So I decided to take out the turbo and keep it indoors. I was planning on doing the session on the TT bike but I never have/will put my TT on a turbo.

So with "Match Of The Day" on I started. My T-shirt lasted 10 mins-I was dripping :eek: Then I got through "Kill Bill Vol 1". BTW I got a multimedia box for my TV, it is a terabyte and my mate has over 600gigs worth of movies and DVD's-I'm now sorted for life :D

The 3 TT efforts were tough:

1st - I averaged about 40km/h and cad was about 96
    2nd - I averaged about 42/3km/h and cad was about 99
    3rd - I averaged about 41km/h and cad was about 96

The third one was very tough. I had to cut the session short though at 60km :mad: Still not bad work.

Time 2:07
    Dist 60km
    Cad 89 ave
    Watt 197
    Speed 28.7km/h ave

Sun Morn 15th May

I did 30 mins of core and rolling work-really like these sessions :)

Weekly Summary

09 May - 15 May|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|14|16:04|245.6
    Swimming|4|03:55|6,600
    Cycling|5|06:57|205.6
    Running|3|03:55|33.2
    Strenth/Core|2|01:17|N/A

Weight Watch

Last Week 85.5kg
    This Week 86.2kg :mad:

Missed Sessions Watch

This Week 1
    Altogether This Block 4
    Overall 17

A good week over all, a mixed Build 1 however. Great week in GC followed by two poor weeks. But at least this last week was much better. Delighted to get in so much biking this week :)

3 races this period, Boyle Duathlon, 1,500m track race and a bike race. All very tough but still great sessions.

I am going to struggle for the next 6 weeks getting in LSR and Long bikes as I have races coming up. I think I have the endurance in the bag for olympic distance racing anyway. Still I will fit them in when/if I can and then make a return to base training in July.

Mon Morn 16th May

Plan Club Swim
    Actual Club Swim

Somewhat of a breakthrough session this morning...well breakthrough kick set at the least :) Last year I was averaging 1:15 for 50m kick. Earlier this year I was getting it near to 1:05's. This mornings kick set was 8 x 50m kick off 1:45, so plenty of rest. The first two were in on 1:03, 1:02 then the next 6 were under the minute! 58, 57, 57, 58, 55, 55 :) Thrilled...now just to incorporate into my full stroke. The main set was 6 x 100 off 2:00; 6 x 100 off 1:55; 6 x 100 off 1:50; Pull and paddles on, made them easily, the 1:50's I was coming in on 1:37 - RPE about 7. Delighted with the session.

Dist 3,150m

Mon Eve 16th May

Plan Negative Split LSR - 16km
    Actual Negative Split LSR - 15.8km

Was going to do a turbo session but realised I've not done a LSR in 3 weeks exactly. So out the door for a 10 miler, just one objective-negative split it. I used to hate the LSR but for the first time this year I can say it was relatively easy. So the pace for the first half was 4:52/km and the pace for the second was 4:36/km.

Time 1:14:24
    Dist 15.8km

Tues Morn 17th May

Plan 2 laps of hill route
    Actual 2 laps of hill route

Same as last Tuesday. Damp, dull, dreary and drizzly morning. Almost wasn't allowedin the park, tons of gardai around. Stopped at one enterance but allowed in another. Stayed in the big ring again when asscending (big gear and second biggest at the back) Tough climbing but kinda enjoying the pain now.

This was my last hill session, I started too late this year at them and I don't want to be turning up to the running session on dead legs-takes from the quality of the running session. However I still intend on being in the saddle every Tuesday morning. I will be doing 'speed bursts'. Something along the line 6 x 45 sec MAX, with 1:15 spinning, building to 8 reps and then 6 x 50 sec MAX with 1:10 spinning.

Time 1:40:33
    Dist 36.1km
    Cad 76rpm ave
    Speed 21.1km/h ave
    HR 107/170

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Tough climbing but kinda enjoying the pain now.

I think we all secretly love the pain that tough climbing dishes out:)

What went on in the session above out of interest? Were you flaffing around in between the hills? Just your HR seems very low (esp for a hill session).

kennyb3 wrote: »
    What went on in the session above out of interest? Were you flaffing around in between the hills? Just your HR seems very low (esp for a hill session).

My philosophy, not just for this session, but any sessions with repeats in it is - work hard on the hard parts and go easy on the in-between bits. This means I am fairly well recovered for each repeat meaning each repeat will be quality, of course by the 5/6th one there is an accumulation of fatigue.

It was also a bit lower this morning because it was very greasy out there-back wheel slid out a few times, so I was being extra extra carful as I am not at all confident in damp conditions.

• Advertisement

Tues Eve 17th May

Plan 5km easy with 6 x 100m pick ups
    Actual 5km easy with 6 x 100m pick ups

Just an easy session this evening. Enjoyable too. Threw in some 100m pick ups with 100m recovery.

Time 0:23
    Dist 5.1km

Well I've decided to join a club at last. A new club based out of the NAC-Activ Multisport. Not many members yet, I like the idea of a small club though so we'll see how it goes. I won't however have a club tri suit until perhaps well into the middle of the season.

Weds Morn May 18th

Plan Club Swim
    Actual Club Swim

A little late getting in this morning but not too late. The main set was 3 x 200; 4 x 150; 6 x 100; 8 x 50 off 4, 3, 2, 1 (min). Was easily making the RT but I was pushing it on each one, felt good. This is the first time I really felt my kick propelling me-delighted with that. Must bring Rt's down next time.

Time 1:15
    Dist 2,800m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

About time you joined a club! :cool: Anyone else on here in that club?

Looks like your training is going well. Happy days.

It won't be long now until you're a fulltime athlete again. ;)

Good luck at the weekend in Spiddal.

pgibbo wrote: »
    About time you joined a club! :cool: Anyone else on here in that club?

Looks like your training is going well. Happy days.

It won't be long now until you're a fulltime athlete again. ;)

Good luck at the weekend in Spiddal.

Hi P, Myself and Macanri are the only two that I know of anyway. It will be nice to be a part of a team, the craic will be god too.

Ya, 2.5 weeks left now, looking forward to it I must say :)

Thanks dude.

Weds Eve 18th May

Plan Dublin Graded Meeting No. 3 - 1 Mile
    Actual Dublin Graded Meeting No. 3 - 1 Mile

So mt third attempt at the 1 mile this year, my first attempt on the track so was expecting my 3rd 1 mile PB of the year. Although pretty windy (isn't it always these days :rolleyes:) I got a PB...but....left the track feeling a little annoyed.

The gun went off and like two weeks ago a few lads blasted off. I had spits worked out in my head for a sub 5:50 mile and while I ran/paced perfectly and hit my slipts, I could have done better. My coach asked after the race "..are your lungs burning?" They were put only a little. Basically by the end of the first lap I was last out of the 15 or so athletes. At that stage two groups had formed and really I should have pushed to be at the back of the first group...not the second. By the end of lap two I passed the 6 in my group and went after the other group. I didn't catch them and nobody catch me.

The coach said I wasn't involved in the race from the get go, he reckoned I should be going harder on the first lap and he is right. The first lap is always fast but settles then. I was afraid of blowing up and he said to that "so what?" Again he is right. After all these are training races. So I left a little disappointed, I can do better than that. Where is my competitive spirt?? I'm sure it will come back to me with a bit more confidence and that comes with racing.
    New Mile PB 5:19(ish waiting for official results )

Time 35 min
    Dist 6.5km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done, nice PB.

On the race and not going out too fast - some would say that thats wise, but on the track and over 1 mile, well your coach is obviously a coach for a reason. I'm sure it's just a matter of experience in racing on the track. I'm sure you'll take the advice on board for the next one.

On the Activ Multisport - I'm not aware of any other boardsie members - yet!

Macanri wrote: »
    Well done, nice PB.

On the race and not going out too fast - some would say that thats wise, but on the track and over 1 mile, well your coach is obviously a coach for a reason. I'm sure it's just a matter of experience in racing on the track. I'm sure you'll take the advice on board for the next one.

On the Activ Multisport - I'm not aware of any other boardsie members - yet!

Ya cheers Mac, I will take it on board for sure.

Thurs Morn 19th May

Plan Core/strength session followed by short swim session
    Actual Core/strength session followed by short swim session

Spent 40 min on strength, core and rolling. Only strength work on my calfs. Then to the pool for a drills and speed session. As regards speed sessions coach say "little and often", so I stick to that.

Time 1:30
    Dist 1,400m

Really enjoy this Thurs morn session :)

Thurs Eve 19th May

Plan Club Run Session
    Actual Club Run Session

The main set was (4 x 200m) x 3 with 30 sec rest and 4 min between sets.
    The 200s were consistent - 34/35 secs. Found it tough going tonight. I think I am in need of a day off, Sunday is a scheduled day off but I will be hungover and traveling, so not exactly a recovery day.

Time 1:10
    Dist 10km

Fri Morn May 20th

Plan Club Swim Session
    Actual Club Swim Session

4 swim sessions last week, 4 this week and an OW race to come-consistency at last with the swimming and it shows. I feel much better and more confident in the water. We had 200 x 5 with paddles and pull off 3:40, made them on ave 3:25 and then the same but no paddles or pull off 3:55 and made them on ave 3:40. RPE was 6/7 on both sets so really happy :)

Dist 2,700m

Fri Afternoon 20th May

Plan Easy Brick
    Actual Easy Brick

Did 16km easy spinning on the bike and just a short run off after (about 1km).

The last couple of days I haven't felt 100%, finding it difficult to fill my lungs to capacity, shortness of breath etc... I know now why, I have a cold and it has spread to my chest now. So I will give tomorrow's race a go but I am taking Sun, Mon and maybe Tues off until this clears. So next week may as well be my easy/recovery week-bringing it forward one week may not be a bad idea. This is annoying but it's part of life, I actually knew last week that I was on a knife edge. No worries, plenty of oranges/grapefruit and fresh lemon in hot water with manuka honey and I should be grand by Weds.

Time 46min
    Dist 16km bike; 1km run

• Advertisement

To Train or Not to Train?

I know the answer to that question. Last year I got a cold, I kept training and ended up with pneumonia, this set me back 6 weeks. When you have a cold your immune system is weakened and by training it you weaken it even more. Plus the body needs energy to recover and by training you divert this energy. I'd be stupid to make the same mistake again, so I am clearing my training schedule for the rest of the week, let the cold run it's course (7-10 days) and then get back to it.

I may seem very clear cut about this but make no mistake, it's a really tough call as things are going pretty well........

I made the above statement back in February and it is still what I believe in. It was easy for me back then to be 'clear cut' as I had no race the next day. This time I had a race, my first race of the season which I was really excited about.

I had a cold coming on and yesterday it was in my chest by Thurs evening and was affecting my breathing. The above logic is still true, even if I have a race. By racing today I would have put the next 6 weeks in jeopardy, by not racing I will be out for 3/4 days at worst. So really it wasn't a tough decision....but it was :o I love racing! Anyway feck it, the decision not to race was the right one, there was too much to lose today and that is what it came down to.

So it will be June 5th before I make the plunge in 2011. Hope everybody in Spiddal and Valentia indeed survived today!

Advertisement