Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim, Bike, Run....if only it was that simple!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Weekly Summary

16 May - 22 May|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|12|11:40|95.7
    Swimming|4|04:55|10,050
    Cycling|2|02:10|52
    Running|5|03:35|33.2
    Strenth/Core|1|01:00|N/A

Weight Watch

Last Week 86.2kg
    This Week no weight check, although I did check Thursday and I was 84.6kg-first time this year under 85 :)

Missed Sessions Watch

This Week 1 (sick)
    Altogether This Block 1
    Overall 18

The week was going pretty well until Thurs when the cold started to take it's hold. At last two weeks of consistancy in the pool and it is beginning to show. I will ease myself back into it today and see how I am, this week will be relatively easy. I have a 10 mile TT Weds night, a 800m track race and a 5km race on Saturday-3 PB's might be pushing it but it is this short of fast, high intensity short stuff I need. I will however back off if I feel that I am not 100%.

Tues Afternoon 24th May

Plan Core/Swim
    Actual Core/Swim

So an ease back into the training yesterday. Took it handy and just enjoyed it. Funny 3 days off has left me feeling fat and unfit. I'm sure this feeling will go away once I get back into it proper.

Time 1:20
    Dist 1,000m

I think I will be taking most of this week easy as I have been feeling a little dizzy/faint at times and sleeping a lot more than usual. I have 3 races so thats enough on the intensity side so everything else will be easing going until I feel stronger again. This unseasonably cold weather fvcking sucks too :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Dude, feeling dizzy/faint at times and sleeping alot......do you really think you should be doing the 3 races this week? If you read that on someone elses blog I don't think you'd be advising it! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

pgibbo wrote: »
    Dude, feeling dizzy/faint at times and sleeping alot......do you really think you should be doing the 3 races this week? If you read that on someone elses blog I don't think you'd be advising it! :confused:

+1 ElD your body is telling you something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

+1, you pulled out of Spiddal and it was the right call.

Lst year you had to take a couple of weeks off before Budapest and then you stormed your A race!

The shorter stuff will have you going deeper and probably not a great idea as the other guys attested to.

How important are these races in the wider scheme of things (Spain ETU, Galway..)?

• Advertisement

Cheers lads thanks for the heads up. These are training races after all so not important in terms of placing, just tests really for time and an indication of how I am really doing. Actually 2 of them were direct attempts at two of my running objectives (800m and 5km). Still not important.

The faint/dizzy feelings are more like headaches really and I think I can put that down to a lack of sugar and carbs - cut them out for a while in order to lose some weight (should have mentioned that earlier :rolleyes:) Feeling fine this evening after some sports drinks and a pasta dinner :)

Anyway gave this evenings race a miss (10km TT), it was a bit of a push to make it anyway. Went for a run this afternoon, nice and easy.

Weds Afternoon 25th May

Plan 8km easy run
    Actual 8.5km easy run

Took it nice and handy and felt pretty good until 5-6km but came out of it. Just think the lack of carbs and sugar has left me feeling funny. But just in case my moto is 'easy as she goes' .... for now at least.

Time 39:56
    Dist 8.5km

Appreciate the comments dudes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Its a bit of a bitch trying to cut the carbs and maintain training. I've dabbled a bit but its not worth missing training sessions so I mostly ditched that idea. Portion sizes and NO ****e is probably the best route.

Is it the donore 5k your doing?
    I've signed up, I'm going ****e but it should give me a kick up the hole to get more running in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Cutting carbs is a load of bo'llix if you ask me - its a short term fix to a long term problem. As nomadic says Just eat a health diet, watch the portion size, cut out the ****e and do your regular exercise and the weight should literally fall off.

Its not rocket science and any short term fix will backfire in a few weeks - like what happens when you eat carbs again?. Just change habits and small things here and there which add up.

nomadic wrote: »
    Its a bit of a bitch trying to cut the carbs and maintain training. I've dabbled a bit but its not worth missing training sessions so I mostly ditched that idea. Portion sizes and NO ****e is probably the best route.

Is it the donore 5k your doing?
    I've signed up, I'm going ****e but it should give me a kick up the hole to get more running in.

Funny, I've always beat the "Portion sizes and NO ****e" drum. It didn't seem to be working but maybe I should just exercise more self-control, certainly starving myself of carbs ain't working.

The Donore 5k is the one dude, so hopefully see you there. I am also hoping for a long(ish) easy spin on the bike, if I feel up to it, if you are on for it too.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Cutting carbs is a load of bo'llix if you ask me - its a short term fix to a long term problem. As nomadic says Just eat a health diet, watch the portion size, cut out the ****e and do your regular exercise and the weight should literally fall off.

Its not rocket science and any short term fix will backfire in a few weeks - like what happens when you eat carbs again?. Just change habits and small things here and there which add up.

Cheers KB, ya I'll mark it down to a failed experiment :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

+1 to the above El D. I was sorry to hear you had to pull out of Spiddal (the right choice all the same). As you say - easy as she goes - for now!

Funnily enough I also have a chest problem at the minute (not enough of a problem to call it a chest infection I think). But, I have taken the few days off to let it clear up a bit. Hope to get to the pool in the morning and take it from there.

Anyway, hope you have a speedy recovery.

Just on what you said to nomadic, im sure if its not going down your muscle is going up and body fat going down. Measure your waist to check this. Just reassess your diet and maybe try write down everything you eat for a week - you prob dont realise all the little snacks or how much your eating of certain types of foods.

I didnt quite do this but at one stage i had a good think about how many choc bars i was having (killer when working behind a desk with tea). Was having about 10 a week (one a day doesnt sound to bad but the odd day id have 2 and 10 just sound disgraceful) When i thought of it like that i was bit sick. I now have maybe 3 a week. A good 1500cals (half a pound) there every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

The Donore 5k is the one dude, so hopefully see you there. I am also hoping for a long(ish) easy spin on the bike, if I feel up to it, if you are on for it too.
    I should see you there alright. I could possibly be on for a bike session, need to get to work for 4 though. I'll see on saturday.

Macanri wrote: »
    +1 to the above El D. I was sorry to hear you had to pull out of Spiddal (the right choice all the same). As you say - easy as she goes - for now!

Funnily enough I also have a chest problem at the minute (not enough of a problem to call it a chest infection I think). But, I have taken the few days off to let it clear up a bit. Hope to get to the pool in the morning and take it from there.

Anyway, hope you have a speedy recovery.

Cheers Mac, it's nothing serious and I'm not hitting the panic button yet, I've written this week off anyway so by Monday I can get back at it properly. I hope you are feeling better too dude.

Re the food diary KB, great idea man and I will do that, perhaps I could record it here actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

El D not sure how you are fixed for time and your current training programme but 2/3 weights sessions a week would do wonders for weight loss much more than cardio work will ever do for you.
    All to with the body burning the fat hours after you have finished your weights session. That along with eating healthy is what helped me shift 22kg in weight.

El D not sure how you are fixed for time and your current training programme but 2/3 weights sessions a week would do wonders for weight loss much more than cardio work will ever do for you.
    All to with the body burning the fat hours after you have finished your weights session. That along with eating healthy is what helped me shift 22kg in weight.

Wow JB, that is unreal! Well done. I don't really have time for weight training now but I am starting bikram yoga very soon so that should help lose weight and with flexibility.

Decided yesterday that if I was to race today (Sat) then I'd have to do something to raise the HR. Decided against swimming as I feel one could catch anything at a pool-like a hospital :o Maybe this is silly. So a bike session in the afternoon and an easy run in the evening.

Bike

31.5km at an ave of 26km/hr, cadence 89 rpm. Took it easy and threw in 6 x 45 sec max with 1:15 easy.

1) 402m
    2) 515m
    3) 457m
    4) 477m
    5) 441m
    6) 439m

Forgot how tough these are :o The even numbered ones had tail winds and the odd ones had head winds.

Time 1:32
    Dist 31.5km

Run

5.5km easy with 6 x 150m pick ups with 1 minute easy in between. Felt sluggish and slow but later in the evening felt better for having done this run and a little bit more confident about todays race.

Time 22:35
    Dist 5.5km

Sat 28th May

Plan Donore 5km Road Race
    Actual Donore 5km Road Race

As is often the case with me and races in the early part of tri season it was panic stations this morning. Sat down with the lap top at 9:30 to find out where reg was when I noticed that reg closed at 10! "O crap!" :eek: Threw in everything into a gear bag, pumped the wheels on my bike :rolleyes: and out the door by 9:50. Then noticed I forgot my helmet and bike lock and to top it all off the the train track gates come down in Coolmine :mad: Sh!te better head back for lock and helmet anyway. Then saw the time, fecked the bike into the hall and grabbed the car keys. Speed bumps be damned! Then I realised I didn't even see the reg location when I was on the laptop. Decision time, go to race start location or go to Donore Ac club house-wrong decision and it'd be another DNS for me! Head to club house I thought. I was right and believe it or not by 10:05 I was registered, PHEW! :rolleyes:

Ok, still 55 min to race start, at least my HR was up. I then did a really good warm up and met Interested and Nomadic just before the race start.

The first km the wind was at our backs and my plan was to go with the pace and not worry if I thought it was too fast. A club mate joined me on my shoulder. Then I noticed that I had my garmin in the wrong mode, bike mode-giving me km/h instead of pace. This was no good to me so I knew I'd have to change the mode while running, and that I did. Nomadic was running nicely up ahead, moving very well. I was tempted to keep pace with him but I felt his pace was a little much so I stayed at my own pace. First km was 3:26 or so, fast but the first km of a race always is and it was wind assisted.

My club mate was running well but I knew I should be able to take him if I was going well. He opened up a gap of 7/8m or so. I was a little concerned, either I was in trouble or he set too fast a pace. Then we took a right hander and straight into the very strong wind. It was here that I caught up with him again and I pushed on then down the Kyber. My club mate fell back a bit and 3/4 runners passed me going down the Kyber.

I had always planned to go up Military Hill hard and that is what I did. I got back 5/6 places here. I had great support here as members of my club that were not running were here. Usually you would get a breather at the top of a hill...not today. BANG the wind here nearly took my breath away. I struggled for about 3/400m going around the S-bends. I actually thought that the whels might come off :o

Then I felt strong again with 600m to go and I went as best I could. I kelt repeating "PB, PB, PB..." in my mind. I then saw the finish clock ticking over 18:19..18:20.... I knew the PB was secured but I also knew I was under pressure from behind so I kicked as hard as I could, I think I held off those behind me.

Time 18:47(ish) New PB HR 177/184, Pace 3:46/km

10 days ago I was thinking a definite PB for today, but after the last week I was not confident. I am thrilled with that time. Not an easy race by any means. A really really well run event.

Confidence today has received a huge boost, maybe a sub 18 isn't that far fetched after all :)

Well done Nomadic and Interested, great running.

Time 1hr
    Dist 12km

4 weeks to ETU Spain

So 4 weeks left. I had planned a two week taper but I am now thinking more 10 days to 1 week. I suppose if I am being honest my eyes are really firmly set on Galway 70.3 and I am tempted to train right through the Euro's. Instead I will plan a big 10-14 days and see how I am then. Today was huge for my confidence, that is what racing does for you I guess. You train and train and train but unless you race or test you don't really know where you stand. So I have 3 more races between now and then and a couple of training races too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Great race report and well done on the PB.

Would a week - 10 days taper really interfere that much for Galway? or are you aiming for a Las Vegas slot? You must have worked hard for the Euro slot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done on the PB. You clearly worked for it and dug deep when the hills or wind required.
    You must be over the chest infection now then?

Great race report and well done on the PB.

Would a week - 10 days taper really interfere that much for Galway? or are you aiming for a Las Vegas slot? You must have worked hard for the Euro slot?

Cheers, Couerdelion.

No, a 10-7 day taper wouldn't interfere too much I guess. I'm not aiming for a Vegas slot, in subsequent years-yes, why not? I'd love to qualify someday but it won't happen this year for sure. I'll still be doing my best though.

Yes I did work hard last season but you don't have to work hard to get a slot tbh. If you are half decent and do your NS races (you don't even have to do all 5) you will get on the team if you are willing to pay. Now I set it as a goal for myself to reach the criteria for making the team, namely a top 10/15 finish in the NS in your AG. I finished 10th last year. I really enjoyed Budapest last year, great experience and would recommend it. Are you considering dude?
    Macanri wrote: »
    Well done on the PB. You clearly worked for it and dug deep when the hills or wind required.
    You must be over the chest infection now then?

Thanks Mac. Ya, I think I can make my way back into a normal weeks training now, not feeling as jaded as I was this time last week.

Sunday 29th May

Just decided to get out and do something enjoyable. So what better than to make my first green target of the season :) So 40km spin on the bike. Lovely sunshine but still the bloody wind :rolleyes: Kinda enjoyed cycling into it at times. I decided to do some TT efforts, so 3 x 3km. I thought I'd have to do at least one into the wind, it was tough! Then the other two on the Maynooth/Leixlip road, did the second and decided to turn back and repeat that one for my 3rd, the wind was at my back for the most part for these two.

3 X 3km TT

1) Time 6:15; Speed 28.7km/h; Cad 91; HR 139
    2) Time 4:21; Speed 41.2km/h; Cad 88; HR 138
    3) Time 4:17; Speed 42km/h; Cad 87; HR 144

Felt good doing these and always enjoyed them. More of this :) 3 X 5km next time.

Weekly Summary Build 2 Week 2

23 May - 29 May|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|7|06:40|102
    Swimming|1|00:45|1,000
    Cycling|2|03:05|75
    Running|3|02:02|26
    Strenth/Core|1|0:30|N/A

Weight Watch

Last Week 86.2kg
    This Week 87kg:(

Missed Sessions Watch

This Week 0
    Altogether This Block 1
    Overall 18

As this week I was being careful I decided not to count missing sessions as "Missed Sessions Watch" section in my weekly summary as motivated me this year to keep them to a minimum. So, I didn't want to feel under pressure to make sessions.

The main positive to take from having this type of week is that my body recovers. Recovery/rest is needed for the body to get the full benefits of training hard as this is when adaptations in the body take place. As I saw last year, enforced lay offs worked well for me.

Of course the big positive of this week was the 5km PB :)
    Well today (a week later than it should have been :rolleyes:) I hit the bike green target :) This time last year I had only 474km in the legs :eek: So to have 1,500km+ already this year...well thats more like it :) It was actually the 26th of Dec when I made the green bike target last year.

My Pb from Saturday was better than I first thought, gun time 18:44, chip time 18:40. I think I will be going by the chip time. So 5km time: 18:40 New PB :)

Mon Morn 30th May

Plan Club Swim
    Actual Club Swim

Good session this morning. Did some 400's pacing work. (3 x 50m/3 x 100m) X 4. 50's off 1 min, 100's off 2 min, 50 target 53 sec (actual 44-46sec) 100's target 1:47 (actual 1:34-1:40)

The important thing here was the pacing on the 100's. We were trying to get the second 50 as close as possible to the first 50. By the end I was getting 1.5 sec between them, happy with that. Stroke looking good and fitness feeling fine.

Time 1:25
    Dist 2,600m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Cheers, Couerdelion.

No, a 10-7 day taper wouldn't interfere too much I guess. I'm not aiming for a Vegas slot, in subsequent years-yes, why not? I'd love to qualify someday but it won't happen this year for sure. I'll still be doing my best though.

Yes I did work hard last season but you don't have to work hard to get a slot tbh. If you are half decent and do your NS races (you don't even have to do all 5) you will get on the team if you are willing to pay. Now I set it as a goal for myself to reach the criteria for making the team, namely a top 10/15 finish in the NS in your AG. I finished 10th last year. I really enjoyed Budapest last year, great experience and would recommend it. Are you considering dude?

No :eek: I'm a mile away from that at the moment. I suppose I should never say never though and who knows where I'll be next year!
    I was just considering the effort that you must have put in to last years racing and how it would be a shame to waste that by using the experience as little more than a training event. Still, you put the effort into gettting there so it's up to you how you race it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice PB there El D, well done. I'd love to be going to Spain for the ETUs too but it was too close to the IM to pencil it in this year :(

Are you out for a spin on Wednesday? Its up that lovely hill again. I got back racing 2 weeks ago (just did 2 laps then got stiff and dropped out) and found group 2 handy so you ll be more than fine too.

Fair play on the PB too - you bested mine by 14 seconds you fecker

Nice PB there El D, well done. I'd love to be going to Spain for the ETUs too but it was too close to the IM to pencil it in this year :(

Thanks man. Ya I am looking forward to it, nice and sunny Spain. Also going to spend 4/5 days making my way down the coast with Linda back into Portugal. So maybe Israel 2012 MCOS?? :D Interesting choice for the European Champs, actually I've always want to go to Israel.
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    Are you out for a spin on Wednesday? Its up that lovely hill again. I got back racing 2 weeks ago (just did 2 laps then got stiff and dropped out) and found group 2 handy so you ll be more than fine too.

Fair play on the PB too - you bested mine by 14 seconds you fecker

Hi KB, terrific news to hear that you are back racing, I was actually going to PM you re it today. Give it a few weeks dude and you will be back up to speed in no time. I'm not racing this Weds but I will be next week which is a TT I think.

I'm sure you will revise your 5k PB this year at some stage man;), did you see Nomadic's time??:eek:

Mon Eve 30th May

Plan Negative Split LSR
    Actual Negative Spilt LSR

Anyone that reads this log knows I DON'T like the LSR's, but...doing them on a Monday is certainly easier than a Friday evening. Still, do I not like them. I was enjoying the first 6/7 km and felt like pushing on but kept having to reign it back as it was my intention to negative split the run. The last 3/4k was a struggle.

First 10km Time 48:57; Pace 4:55/km; HR 136
    Last 7.6 Time 32:58; Pace 4:39/km; HR 156
    Overall Time 1:21:56; Pace 4:48/km; HR 144

Time 1:22
    Dist 17.6km

Tues Morn 31st May

Plan 30km bike with 6 x 45 sec MAX
    Actual 33km bike with 6 x 45 sec MAX

Lovely morning at last, still the wind persists but not as bad as the last few weeks. I do these sessions in the Phoenix Park.

6 X 45 sec MAX

1) 451m HR 122
    2) 494m HR 141
    3) 442m HR 141
    4) 492m HR 145
    5) 461m HR 148
    6) 519m HR 150

Dist 33km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Kudos on the PB, you're flying it!

Tues Afternoon May 31st

Plan Core/Swim
    Actual Core/Swim

Did a nice core/rolling session and couldn't resist hopping into the pool to grab the green swim target before the month ends :)

Time 1:10
    Dist 1,300m

This time last year I had swam 70,350m so 26,000+m more.
    It was 28th of June last year when I made green, great to be ahead although I probably should be further ahead of schedule.

Weds Morn 1st June:eek:

Plan Club Swim
    Actual Club Swim

The main focus for this session was a 400m TT. I must look up last years times for this, the only record I have of a 400 TT this year was May 5th - 7:25, 50m pool. Today was 6:34, 1:38/100. So a massive improvement, can't really compare these but I am putting this down as my new PB, this way I will know it for again.

Dist 2,800m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Mon Morn 1st June:eek:

Plan Club Swim
    Actual Club Swim

The main focus for this session was a 400m TT. I must look up last years times for this, the only record I have of a 400 TT this year was May 5th - 7:25, 50m pool. Today was 6:34. So a massive improvement, can't really compare these but I am putting this down as my new PB, this way I will know it for again.

Dist 2,800m

Between your 5k sat and now this, the long weekend could yield even more PB's ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

6.34 :eek:

Great swimming

Advertisement