Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim, Bike, Run....if only it was that simple!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

interested wrote: »
    Between your 5k sat and now this, the long weekend could yield even more PB's ;)

Thanks interested....I may even sneak another one in before the weekend ;)
    catweazle wrote: »
    6.34 :eek:

Great swimming

Thanks CW and well done on swim green!!

Weds Eve 1st June

Plan Dublin Graded Meet No. 4
    Actual Dublin Graded Meet No. 4

Well this was the sneaky PB attempt ;) But in my heart I knew I wasn't in 800m PB form. Completely different animal from a 5km. But with new found confidence and a lovely evening with very little breeze I felt "...mmm...this might be on.." But it wasn't. My PB was and still is 2:17. I decided to go hard from the gun and leave nothing in the tank and that is what I did. I hoped to hit the 400m in 65 sec, I hit it in 64. Looking good perhaps but not feeling good. The lactic acid kicked in and with 200m to go I was fried. At least I gave it a good bash, no excuses, no 'if's', 'buts' or 'maybe's'. A little disappointed as I will only get a max of two more cracks at this and what are the chances for ideal conditions again. I have a training objective of 2:15, so maybe, just maybe... For tonight it was 2:22.

I reached new depts in my lungs tonight, last felt over a year ago in another 800m race. I really do think it is the most difficult bloody race! Next time :o

Time 45min
    Dist 6.5km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Great time all the same - fair play.

You missed a beast of a race tonight - 4 laps and 3 times up the nags head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yikes 64 first lap and 78 second lap, that must have hurt! Maybe a 68/67 or 67/68 approach will achieve your goal. That extra 3 seconds for the first lap might hold off the lactic until 100m to go and then at least the line is in sight..

Nice going on the swimming pb, good pace progress :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Looks like your knocking out pbs for the craic, good work. The 800 distance is tough, i actually hate doing them in interval sessions let alone an all out one in a race.

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Great time all the same - fair play.

You missed a beast of a race tonight - 4 laps and 3 times up the nags head.

thanks dude. Just read your report from last night. Fair play to you for getting stuck in again, 'tis the only way. I will do the TT next week and the following weeks race too so hopefully see you there.

Yikes 64 first lap and 78 second lap, that must have hurt! Maybe a 68/67 or 67/68 approach will achieve your goal. That extra 3 seconds for the first lap might hold off the lactic until 100m to go and then at least the line is in sight..

Nice going on the swimming pb, good pace progress :)

You have no idea man, a whole world of hurt I was in. Perhaps 2/3 sec slower would have served me better alright. I'll have a crack at it again this summer (maybe twice) and I'll be attempting the 65 sec first lap again but next time I will have a good few 200/300 with short recovery (30sec) behind me, so we'll see, if I fail I fail.

Ya the pacing in the pool is coming along, mad what a bit of consistency does ;)
    Looks like your knocking out pbs for the craic, good work. The 800 distance is tough, i actually hate doing them in interval sessions let alone an all out one in a race.

Thanks JB. I have ran every distance from 800m to half marathon and IMHO the 800m is the toughest. I've done two now and both were extreme.

Thurs Morn 2nd June

Plan Core/Rolling session
    Actual Core/Rolling session

My lungs were still burning this morning, I coughed up some amount of crap since last nights race and I still am!. A nice 30 min of core and rolling. These are nice relaxing sessions I really enjoy them.

Time 30min

Thurs Eve 2nd June

Plan Club Run Session
    Actual Club Run Session

I had hoped to go really deep into my lungs last night and that I did. Why? Well I am of the opinion that you need to do that every so often just so as to open up your lungs so that you can utilise their full capacity. Once you do it once I find you can keep going deep when you have to so long as you dip in their every 3 or so days which is kinda where I am now anyway in my training. Just my opinion and feeling. Thats why I think I did so well tonight at training. When the going got tough I was able to get enough oxygen in on the recoveries and keep going strong. Although by the end I was almost on the flat of my back :rolleyes:

Main Set - 10 X 300m, 200m recovery

These were all between 52 - 54 sec. By rep 6 I was passing a guy I normally don't and by 9 and 10 I was even passing the next guy up. I am usually bringing up the rear in these track speed sessions (or any session with these guys tbh) but by the end tonight I was up in second place-good for the confidence and for the motivation. Beginning to see the benefit of training with these guys.

Time 1:30
    Dist 11km

Fri Morn 3rd June

Plan Club Swim
    Actual Club Swim

Nice session this morning, after a warm up it was 5 x 400m

1) 7:20
    2) 7:20
    3) 7:21
    4) 7:17
    5) 7:12

Did a similar set in April 2010:

1) 7:08
    2) 7:23
    3) 7:34
    4) 7:39
    5) 7:56

My pacing is much more on the button this year I am glad to say. Also wtf was I at on May the 5th this year (7:25??)

Time 1:15
    Dist 3,000m

The sun is already out this morning, my first tri of the season is on Sunday and today is the last day of school.....the summer is finally here :):D

Sat Morn 4th June

Plan Club Run Session
    Actual Club Run Session

What looked like a fine session on paper turned out to be very tough this morning. 3 X 1km with 4 min recovery and 4 X 400m with 400m recovery. As I have a race tomorrow I was only going to do 2 X 1km and 3 X 400m.

2 X 1km

1) 3:12
    2) 3:16

4 X 400m

1) 1:14
    2) 1:11
    3) 1:15

My quads were very sore despite any easy day yesterday. Perhaps the weeks running just catching up on me. Both 1km and 400m times down from 3 weeks ago but not worried - a tough week for running.

I cycled there and back as it is my summer resolution to cycle everywhere I can as much as possible.

Run

Time 1:20
    Dist 8km

Bike

Time 40min
    Dist 15.3km

Sun June 5th

Race Report

Arrived in Athy in plenty of time and got a very good warm up in. My quads were still very sore from the weeks work. The warm up consisted of 5km on the bike, practiced mounting and dismounting as I haven't done any of that stuf this yet. Also did 3k easy with stides thrown in. There was plenty of time to kill until my wave start, 1 hr 30 min to be exact. I got into my wet suit anyway-to keep warm as it was bitterly cold.

I forgot my aero bottle and I had no cage so I would be riding this race with no liquid on board the bike, good job it was only a sprint.

Swim

It was one of those days were it was nicer to be in the water than out. Got a quick warm up in the water and then we had 2 min to the start. It was 250m upstream and 500m down. I started in the third row back or so. I had decided before th race to go hard on the swim and set myself up for a good race. It took 150m or so of messing and kicking to get away from the madness but once I did I got into a nice rhythm, nice long strokes. I actually noticed at around half way that I wasn't far off the front of the swim so I spotted a guy and got in behind him for a good draft for a minute or so. This gave me enough time for a breather and collect my self for a final surge. I went after the main group and caught them and got another good draft right up to the exit ramp, I should have kept swimming as far as I could up the ramp becuase I stopped and ended up hauling myself out :rolleyes: I must say I am loving the new wet suit, I feel it did give me a very good body position. I was delighted when I glanced at the watch to see 9:xx. My mate said I was 7th out of my wave, over the moon thrilled with that :) I noticed and my mate also commented on the fact that my head was coming out of the water too much when breathing/sighting. He said that it seemed that every second time I breathed it was perfect. This is becuase I was very aware of the bad tech and made sure my next breath was better. It's good to have something to work on.

Time 09:54; Split Position 45th/744

T1

Looking at others transition times there is room for improvement here too. Didn't help that I started putting my runners on :rolleyes::o Wet suit is very quick to get off.

Time 1:22

Bike

Out on the rolling bike course and tried to get up to speed asap. An out and back course, one guy from Waterford tri passed me and I passed him back before he got me again, I wasn't being drawn into a battle and was happy to keep the pace constant instead of accelerating and slowing and accelerating etc... At the turn around I noticed that it only took me 14 or so minutes. Could a sub 30 bike split be on? It was't as it turned out. Not sure if there was a headwind or not but it was more difficult coming back into town. I felt I was struggling a little, just felt that I couldn't keep the same power output. Thats fine and it will come with time. Nobody else passed me and I passed loads, into T2.

Time 31:42; Split Position 7th/744

T2

Had a quick gulp out of the luco sport, a bit too much as I could feel it sloshing around a bit on the run.

Time 1:25

Run

It didn't take me long to get into my stride. I was delighted to see that the dreaded run course from the last 2 years had been altered. There was still the very narrow bit to contend with were it was difficult to pass. I had my eye on the Waterford lad but he was about 50m ahead, he kept it at that distance for the run. I passed loads here too (other waves) Then one guy, in my cat, passed me and cut straight in front of me. I felt he was holding me up so I passed him back and probably cut in on him too because I was feeling the pain and couldn't be doing any more pushes like that. He passed me again and I tailed him for a bit. He pulled about 5/6 meters and I used him for pacing. He was a lovely runner with good tech. I tried to catch him in the final 300m or so but I couldn't. Once I realised it was on I eased a little-unaware that there was a guy behind me, also my cat, he just got me with 2/3m to go :mad: A bit annoyed with myself not to have been more aware. As it happened those two guys came 3rd and 4th and myself 5th in our category. There was only 5/6 sec between us.

Time 20:17; Split Pos 31st/744

Overall

Time 1:04: 42 PB Overall Pos 15th/744; Cat Position 5th

So a good first outing for 2011, my best NS result yet and a 3 minute PB. In fairness it is a flat course with a mainly downstream swim. Another positive was that I can still see were I can improve.

1) The swim: watch my breathing tech and practicing sighting
    2) The bike: I need mote tempo/TT work
    3) The run: I need more speed work and more runs off the bike.

So the never ending quest to get as close as possible to a 60 sprint. Mike Yelverton was the only sub 60 miniter. I actually check last years times and my time would have been good enough for 4th overall, that would be cool :cool:

Time (includ warm up) 1:30
    Dist (includ warm up Swim 750m; Bike 25km; Run 8km

Weekly Summary Build 2 Week 3

30 May - 05 June|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|14|13:05|117.7
    Swimming|5|04:25|9,700
    Cycling|2|02:00|58
    Running|5|05:40|50
    Strenth/Core|2|01:00|N/A

Weight Watch

Last Week 87kg
    This Week 84.6kg :) (At last)

Missed Sessions Watch

This Week 1
    Altogether This Block 2
    Overall 19

Good week over all but I have to get more cycling in. This is the start of 10 days of my Peak phase then it's a 10 day taper. I am also starting bikram yoga this week too. So it is a very important 10 days, this week alone will be almost 20 hours. There will be plenty of race type sessions and even a sprint tri on Saturday to fine tune.

Peak Phase Week 1 6th - 12th June

Mon 6th June

Plan 80km with 3 X 5km TT
    Actual 36km @ 27.5km/h

Bad start to PeakGot the opportunity to head out for pints last night so I took the chance as I won't be getting another chance until after the Euro's. It was a late one, in bed at 4 :o The head on me this morning. Glad to get anything done at all but really this was a bad session to miss, I need the type of session I had planned. O well spilled milk and all that :rolleyes:

Dist 36km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Nice one El D - great cycling as always. I expect a podium for you in Salthill next week ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Great stuff, El D, impressive times. I know from first-hand experience that your cycling was good (!), but the swimming seems very strong as well. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Fantastic result El D - you're obviously flying now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well done in Athy dude. Cracking race! :cool:

Very impressive swim PB too! You'fre really starting to hit form. Well done.

I must pop out to Salthill for a look this weekend. Good luck out there.

Nice Result there El D, a nice tune up confidence booster! Bike split was the stand out, you have the power for flatter courses obviously

Nice result although not suprised. You must be pleased with that.

Thanks lads. Ya very happy with the result for sure. Next Sunday could see a very tried El D and god only knows who'll turn up on the day but either way I will be doing my very best.

Tues Morn 7th June

Plan Bike with 8 X 45 sec MAX
    Actual Turbo with 8 X 45 sec MAX

Couldn't bring myself to get out in those conditions this morning. It was cold and wet so I pulled out the turbo. The max effort were tough but they are meant to be, I tried holding 50km/hr for them.

Time 1 hour
    Dist 28.5km

Tues Morn 7th June

Plan Bikram Yoga
    Actual Bikram Yoga

Anyone ever done this? It is hot yoga (room temp is 40 degrees), it lasts 1.5 hours. I was sweating within 2 minutes and did my best to do as much as I could. My legs are not at all flexible so a lot of this was a real struggle. It is supposed to be great for injury prevention. I also found breathing very difficult.

Time 1:30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Very impressive racing there El D. Nice way to kick off the season.

Judging from that, I'ld be thinking your standard distance PB will be getting a good whipping during the year. (IIRC its ~2:20?)

Anyway, well done.

Macanri wrote: »
    Very impressive racing there El D. Nice way to kick off the season.

Judging from that, I'ld be thinking your standard distance PB will be getting a good whipping during the year. (IIRC its ~2:20?)

Anyway, well done.

Thanks Mac. My standard distance PB is 2:25 in Dublin last year (Budapest was 2:05ish but it was 5k short on the bike so I don't count it) so ya I hope to take a big chunk off that in Spain in 19 days time :o

Tues Eve 7th June

Plan Club Run Session
    Actual Club Run Session

Forgot the garmin so no stats only rough numbers and RPE. It was (4 X 200) X 3 with 25 sec recovery and 5 min between sets. Tough going but felt strong except for the last rep on set 2 and 3. My left quad was quite sore so loads of rolling tomorrow.

Dist 11km

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done in Athy, great bike split too. Did your wetsuit slip off over the runners? :pac:

Well done in Athy, great bike split too. Did your wetsuit slip off over the runners? :pac:

Thanks dude, the wet suit is that good that it slipped off quite easily :pac:

Weds Morn 8th June

Plan Club Swim Session
    Actual Club Swim Session

Two days into peak phase and I am already feeling a tired, tough getting up this morning but at this stage I'm in auto mode. A good 1,500m pace session. (2 x 100, 2 x 200, 1 x 400) X 2,

Targets 100's - 1:45; 200's - 3:30; 400's - 7:00

Actual
    Set 1 100's - 1:43/1:44; 200's - 3:25/3:27; 400's - 7:10
    Set 2 100's - 1:44/1:45; 200's - 3:31/3:33; 400's - 7:03

Dist 2,800m

• Advertisement

Weds Afternoon 8th June

Plan Core/Rolling Session
    Actual Core/Rolling Session

A, welcomed, nice easy session. Really rolled the quads big time. Core is pretty strong. Spent a nice time in the jacuzzi also

Time 45 min

Weds Eve 8th June

Plan Swords CC 40km TT
    Actual Swords CC 40km TT

Headed out for the 40km TT this evening, must say I wasn't looking forward to this as there had been countless torrential downpour throughout the day. I had meant to head out there early for a good warm up but instead I went for a snooze on the couch :rolleyes: Still got in a 6km warm up. Legs were feeling heavy and I knew that this was going to be tough, especially the first 20k into a strong headwind.

So anyway off I went, I was 7th to go. Straight away it was really apparent that this was going to be even tougher than I thought. There were also plenty of drags but then again there were downhill sections. Just before the first round about I caught one of the girls. There was a period were I thought "o god F this!". At one stage the trees blocked the wind and I could hear some noise coming from my bike, it was pretty annoying, I just hoped it wasn't anything serious. So I made it to the turnaround and I hit lap on my garmin:

First 20k Time 36:08; Speed 33.2km; HR 147

Last year I did this course in 1:05:58, so I knew if I was to better that then I'd have to fly back! 20km in under 30 min (40km/hr), I didn't really think I had it in the legs even with the wind at my back. I was going to give it my best shot anyway. It wasn't all easy on the way back but I wnet hard when I felt it was right and went easyish when I had to. I caught the next girl at about 28km. I then started to get very uncomfortable on my saddle, I had to sit up for a bit and even free wheel. Then a guy on a Cervelo P2 caught me (runner up in the National Duathlon Championships in Donegal this year), I was determined to try and pull him back in. He got a nice distance on me but after the roundabout outside Batterstown I started to reel him in again but it wasn't to be. I caught one more of the girls with a km to go and kept the head down for a strong finish. Glad it was over!

Second 20k Time 29:50; Speed 40.2km/hr; HR 154 (last 2k 165)

Overall 1:04:57 PB Speed 37.3km/hr HR 150/173

So a good nights work and a new PB. Fair play to all tonight it was not easy. Thanks to Swords CC and the marshals they did a great job on a horrible night.

Time (incl WU+CD) 1:30
    Dist (incl WU+CD) 50km

Hey thats a good time for a 40TT El D, well done. No better session than an hour of pain :D

Jaysus, another PB. Kudos dude!:cool:

I was looking back at last years TT and I noticed that my HR was on ave 169 with a max of 178 :eek: Last night it was 150/173, was I not pushing hard enough last night or is it that I am that much fitter than last year?? My legs were toast last night and I do believe I would have gone quicker on fresh legs but I can't see how I could have pushed it anymore than I did last night.

Speaking of last night...didn't get to sleep 'til 5am :confused: I just find it so hard to unwind after these Weds night bike races. That ruined my days training today, I had planned three sessions but I am taking a rest day instead. I haven't actually took one in over 10 days (double and triple training days) so it is probably for the best anyway. I will plan the last 7 days of peak now and I will stick to it as best I can, then taper begins.

Another thing that was on my mind last night is my hope of going sub 4:50 in Galway 70.3. Last night I averaged 37.3km/hr for 40km. I was/am hoping for a 2:30 bike in Galway, that is 36km/h (for 90k). I haven't a hope of that, I mean this is Galway-it more than likely will be windy and raining. There is noway that I would run a 100 min half marathon after last nights TT. Worried now, might have to revise down my time. We'll see.

The website for the Euro's is/was pretty crap. Only now getting to see the courses for the swim, bike and run. I was expecting relatively flat race but looking at the profiles, it is anything but! I stopped doing hill work weeks ago, thank god I have Gran Canaria in the legs. I will do two more hill sessions in prep between now and then. Have a look at the bike profile:

http://www.triatlonpontevedra.org/mostrarSeccion.php?id=123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Fair play at Athy dude! Thats a cracking result. Also nice 40k TT time! Im not putting a time on Galway for the very reason thats its too hard to judge the bike and possibly the swim. Run (if 21.1k) will have a target and a top X finish is how im approaching it. The road isnt fast for the bike there due to road surface and likely weather so i dont know if a time goal is such a good idea in case it proved slower than expected and ruined the rest of your day.

Nice one on the TT time ElD. The start of that bike course probably looks worse than it is with the graph. Essentially a slight 5k drag and a kick up for a further 3k with what looks like total climbing of 185mtrs across the 8k. Any hills nearby you with a similiar profile to do some repeats on?
    At least you will fly the 2nd half of it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I was looking back at last years TT and I noticed that my HR was on ave 169 with a max of 178 :eek: Last night it was 150/173, was I not pushing hard enough last night or is it that I am that much fitter than last year??

I was doing the same musing over my 5k pb a few weeks ago, my HR was much lower than last years although I was flat to the board.

Lets take it as a good thing and a sign that the heart is in better shape than the legs ;)

I am disgusted at the weather for sunday, looks like it is going to be a slog

Bambaata wrote: »
    Fair play at Athy dude! Thats a cracking result. Also nice 40k TT time! Im not putting a time on Galway for the very reason thats its too hard to judge the bike and possibly the swim. Run (if 21.1k) will have a target and a top X finish is how im approaching it. The road isnt fast for the bike there due to road surface and likely weather so i dont know if a time goal is such a good idea in case it proved slower than expected and ruined the rest of your day.

Thanks dude. Here was me talking about the rain, wind etc... totally forgot about the crappy road surfaces :o I will leave my time up now thats it's there but if I don't get it I won't let it ruin the day as I know I'll just do my best on the day. Actually anyone planning on staying around for a good night out that day??
    Nice one on the TT time ElD. The start of that bike course probably looks worse than it is with the graph. Essentially a slight 5k drag and a kick up for a further 3k with what looks like total climbing of 185mtrs across the 8k. Any hills nearby you with a similiar profile to do some repeats on?
    At least you will fly the 2nd half of it;)

Thanks man. I'm not that aware of a similar hill around these parts, I might post over on the cycling forum to see. Still not my ideal TT circuit but it will be a challenge and I like that especially with that run after which will suit me.

catweazle wrote: »
    I was doing the same musing over my 5k pb a few weeks ago, my HR was much lower than last years although I was flat to the board.

Lets take it as a good thing and a sign that the heart is in better shape than the legs ;)

I am disgusted at the weather for sunday, looks like it is going to be a slog

Ya that is pretty much what I was thinking, so on fresher legs one could have pushed it even more. I'm disgusted too dude, my third year doing the event and every year it is the crappiest weather. I see there is a warning for Sunday of 78km/h gusts.....one way to look at it is that the light/skinny lads will have difficulties staying upright :D

Fri Morn 10th June

Plan Club Swim Session
    Actual Club Swim Session

Did a 1,500m for time this morning. I don't have a recorded pool 1,500m time so whatever I did it was going to be a PB. I will try to beat it in a couple of weeks again before Pontevedra. I took the first 500 handy enough and then tried to get progressively faster, my time was:

27:50 PB; Pace 1:51/100m. I suppose I haven't enough of these longer sets done, a little late now but I will factor them in, it will still make a difference. I wonder is a pace of 1:40/100m possible this year for a time of 25min?? Finished off with a kick set and fast 50m's.

Dist 2,950m

Bambaata wrote: »

I have to say you're spot on here Bambaata. The road surface isn't great. Although parts of it have been resurfaced and are nice, the majority isn't great. It's been a while since I cycled the route but will probably be doing it next weekend. I'll report back after that. There's also the fact that there's always a wind on that road will make for an interesting bike split. ;)

How are you after Austria?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Fri Morn 10th June

Plan Club Swim Session
    Actual Club Swim Session

Did a 1,500m for time this morning. I don't have a recorded pool 1,500m time so whatever I did it was going to be a PB. I will try to beat it in a couple of weeks again before Pontevedra. I took the first 500 handy enough and then tried to get progressively faster, my time was:

27:50 PB; Pace 1:51/100m. I suppose I haven't enough of these longer sets done, a little late now but I will factor them in, it will still make a difference. I wonder is a pace of 1:40/100m possible this year for a time of 25min?? Finished off with a kick set and fast 50m's.

Dist 2,950m

Nice. Based on what I witnessed recently holding 1.40's for some or all of the 15 100's is possible but the key is to dial it in early and hold on.
    Im glad you had fun in the side lane whilst I suffered like a donkey on 5*200 fly ;)

You're like a p.b machine these days will all the down time during the day ... and yes, Im just jealous.

Advertisement