Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim, Bike, Run....if only it was that simple!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

What time did you sleep at? I was up till about 12 and then tossing and turning after that. Will be a slow work day today. Must try conor's suggestion of belgian beer after:)

Yeah great fun esp when the pace went nuts on the last lap. It's a pity the up and overs werent working to give you a good feel of them when they work right. Sure was only my 6th club race and 3rd in that group so like you i was picking up more on every lap re cornerning etc. I'd nearly liked to have been caught earlier as you learn so much from the group 4/scratch lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

kennyb3 wrote: »
    What time did you sleep at? I was up till about 12 and then tossing and turning after that. Will be a slow work day today. Must try conor's suggestion of belgian beer after:)

I went to bed at 11 and was fast asleep by 12 :) Happy days, getting better.

Thurs Morn 16th June

Plan Bikram Yoga
    Actual Bikram Yoga

Turned up at the session this morning dehydrated and over feed (breakie) Two mistakes I won't be making again, I spent a bit of time just lying there as I felt dizzy and sick :( Got through it anyway and won't make those mistakes again.

Time 1:30

I am going to take a break from the 'Plan' and 'Actual' bit from now until race day. The reason - I don't want to be feeling pressure to get planned sessions done. IMO it's better to go by feel and listen to the body. I am struggling a little now but thats fine as it's taper time tomorrow.

The peak phase hasn't been high on volume at all really but high on effort. The last 4 weeks has taken it out of me, lots of high end effort. Time to start scaling back now so I am fresh on the day. There will be a couple of complete rest days and 3 or so high intesity sessions- Sat, Mon and Weds perhaps.

Fair play for doing anything this morning.

BTW do you have any stats for last night? My 305 was giving me 36.3kmph for 49km?? seems a bit high for our group?

Fair play for doing anything this morning.

BTW do you have any stats for last night? My 305 was giving me 36.3kmph for 49km?? seems a bit high for our group?

Well I forgot to charge my 305 and it died after an hour. I did have a glance at one stage and if I remember correctly the ave speed at the time was 37km/hr. I have it placed one my handle bars but you barely have time to glance at it during these races!:eek:

Since Thurs I have done sweet fvck all. That wouldn't be so bad-not bad at all, the recovery was well come and it would leave me nice and fresh for Sunday. But what did I do, eat absoulute crap and loads of it, also went on the beer Sat night for a 3oth :mad::rolleyes: Really annoyed with myself, after all the hard work. I've but back on most of the weight I lost over the last 4/5 weeks, I know it's hard to believe I know but it's true. Anyway, I can't do anything about the past so I will just have to concentrate on what I can influence-the rest of this week.

BTW does anybody else do this from time to time? Have a total breakdown in discipline, go mad eating everything and anything, going on the beer etc....

Truth be told after the bike race and bikram and just the accumulation of the last few weeks I was wrecked. It was indeed time for taper.

Friday Eve 17th June

No watch/garmin just an easy 9k jog, nice to just run along with no numbers/stats in the head, reminded me of when I first started running.

Time c. 45min
    Dist c. 9km

Sat 18th June

Nothing

Sun 19th June

Nothing

• Advertisement

Weekly Summary Peak Phase Week 2 (Start of Taper)

13 June - 19 June|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|8|08:38|
    Swimming|2|02:50|5,975
    Cycling|2|2:20|71
    Running|2|01:28|17
    Strenth/Core/Bikram|2|02:00|N/A

Weight Watch

Last Week 84.7kg
    This Week 86.5kg

In reality I haven't had a proper Peak Phase or Taper. I think I've gotten it wrong. Last year worse things happened to me and I still had three very good A races so I know the next 6 days can still play a big part.

Monday Morn 20th June

Core/Rolling Session followed by Easy swim Set

So back to it this morning, feeling fat and out of shape. Did some drills, sprints and easy 400's in the pool after.

Time 1:15
    Dist 1,550

Monday Eve 20th June

13km Easy run

Another watch-less run. Felt unfit, fat and out of shape. I know it's crazy. When I am getting to peak shape my core gets good and tight (it did last year anyway and was last week too), so last week I knew I was getting into shape. That is why I feel so out of shape this week, it's very easy to lose that feeling. Anyway so gotta keep the head down for the rest of the week now

Time 1:02
    Dist 13km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

BTW does anybody else do this from time to time? Have a total breakdown in discipline, go mad eating everything and anything, going on the beer etc....

Yep....most weekends! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

The mind and taper is just playing tricks on you, there is no way you are out of shape in a week expecially with the training you have put down and the fitness base you are working off.
    I often have a blow out from time to time as i think it is needed sometimes otherwise you would go stir cracy. I think it is the guilt side of it when you start back which makes you feel like **** during the sessions.
    You are in great shape and racing well from your recent podium finish.

Much the way you wont ever lose more than a pound a week you wont have put on much more. That will be the extra fluid and food in your body and bowels. You ll be back to normal weight by later this week.

Everybody has good and bad weekends, you cant be perfect - the main thing is for it not to be too often.

Are you racing wednesday? Its a perfectly falt course so perfect for your TT abilities on the last lap. Im marshalling unfortunately. Raced in donore last night and got absolutely soaked but got 3rd so worth it.

I thought the bikram was a bit much the morning after a race like taht last week - i had to be peeled out of the bed at half 7, maybe give yourself a nice lie after such intense efforts and do something easy later taht night after you ve rehydrated fully and let the muscles recover. If your totally drained you ll just crash and burn and eat junk.

• Advertisement

@JB Thanks dude, I may be over reacting but we'll see how I feel by the end of the week. I could have done without the non-sense though :rolleyes:

@Kenny You are probably right dude, I'll see if I'm feeling 'lighter' later this evening. I won't be racing tomorrow as I feel it would take too much out of me 4 days before the big day, although looking at the race profile I think it is safe to say I will target that circuit later in the summer :)

Tues Morn 21st June Longest day of the year, always makes me feel a little down :(

Hills Session - Bike

Basically Knockmaroon Hill and Somerton Lane X 2. Winterly morning out there, a heavy drizzle and dark. Did this on the TT bike, only did two laps as I only wanted to get a feel for climbing on my TT and not drain my legs completely. I couldn't power up the hills as I would have liked for fear of the bike going from under me. Felt much better going up these a few weeks ago, wish I had kept it up. I will make a 4/5 week return to doing these after the Euro's in prep for Galway 70.3.

An A-Hole of the highest degree tried to crush me between his big Merc and the stone wall on the left. An absolute ignorant pr1ck trying to pass when it just wasn't on.....he got how I felt about it too :mad:

Then 20m from my house my neighbour somehow didn't see me, it was unreal! I was free wheeling coming up to my gate and I was sure he saw me, next thing he sped up and almost went into the side f me, having to skid to avoid me. He was very sorry but FFS! I was glad to be home in one piece :o

Time 1:14
    Dist 22km

1.2km Run Off

Just wanted to see how the legs would feel after a hilly bike. The answer - awful. A hilly session followed by run is what I would have done more of had I known that that is what I will have to do Sunday. Anyway it is what it is.

Time 4:40
    Dist 1.2km
    Pace 3:53/km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I think catweazle and his reports are rubbing off on you dude! :D

When do you fly out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

An A-Hole of the highest degree tried to crush me between his big Merc and the stone wall on the left. An absolute ignorant pr1ck trying to pass when it just wasn't on.....he got how I felt about it too :mad:

Some day I'm going to fling a bottle at one of these idiots. See how much of a hurry they're in then.

Best of luck this weekend El D. As others have said, one weekend isnt going to set you back much at all. As long as you dont go anything stupid like, eh, two swim sessions in one day after 2 weeks+ out of the pool. Only an idiot would do that.....

Oh and enjoy the weather! If you need more cheering up have a look at the forecast for Kilkee this weekend.

pgibbo wrote: »
    I think catweazle and his reports are rubbing off on you dude! :D

When do you fly out?

Flying out on the Friday, wish I was flying out on Wednesday/Thursday just so I could do a recce of the course (swim/bike/run).

Tues Afternoon 21st June

Run

WU 2.8km
    150m X 10, 30 rec All came in on 26 - 28 sec
    CD 2.8km

This was torture. Well the WU and CD were anyway :o I don't know what it is, my running form/tech is all over the place because of this (and prob the extra 2kg's) both my achilles were hurting and my left knee. They will be fine I know it just isn't helping my confidence. The 150's were actually grand.

I may have a solution to my low confidence/sluggishness. An attempt at my 1,500m PB tomorrow night in Morton Stadium.

Time 35min
    Dist 7.8km

....Raced in donore last night and got absolutely soaked but got 3rd so worth it.

Forgot to say dude well done on your podium finish there. Thats great, man it really hasn't taken you long to get back in the groove at all. Is there a report somewhere I can read??

Weds Morn 22nd June

There was 800m of kicking and a main set that added up to 1,500m in prep for Sunday - 500m off 9min; 5 x 100m off 2:10; 10 x 50m off 1min. Took a good 30 min to get warmed up. My left wrist is very painful, not an unusual pain for me, every few months I get it. It just needs some compression.

Whenever I am feeling crap I always find a good swim session can turn me around. After this mornings session I feel I'm back on an upward curve, I hope by going to the track this evening it will give me that little boost I need and then I can let my conscious rest easy. By this evening I hope to be a very happy camper :)

Time 1:10
    Dist 2,600m

Looking Ahead To The Weekend

After seeing the expected weather in Pontevedra for the weekend and the start lists for the elite mens and womens race I am nw really looking forward to the weekend. 30/31 degrees with plenty of sunshine, I, like most of you I am sure, am sick of this horrible weather we are getting so this will be a lovely contrast and will do the mind good.

In the mens elites race they're all there - Brownlee bro's, Gomez, the top Russians and French, Brian Keane and for me the guy I am most looking forward to seeing and supporting - Conor Murphy! Only 9 months ago I was racing against this guy in Blacksod, 12 months ago he was racing the age group Euro's and Worlds. Now look at him, racing against Brownlee's and Gomez - exciting stuff, a pure gent too.

In the womens race Aileen Morrison should go very close to winning imo, there is also Jodie Stimpson and my personal favorite Yuliya Yelistratova ;) Brit Lois Rosindale is also racing, she is young up and coming and I think this is her first race at this level, she beat Morrison to first in Winsor a couple of weeks ago.

Some day I'm going to fling a bottle at one of these idiots. See how much of a hurry they're in then.

Best of luck this weekend El D. As others have said, one weekend isnt going to set you back much at all. As long as you dont go anything stupid like, eh, two swim sessions in one day after 2 weeks+ out of the pool. Only an idiot would do that.....

Oh and enjoy the weather! If you need more cheering up have a look at the forecast for Kilkee this weekend.

Thanks dude. Just looking at the weather for Kilkee it seems like it will be pretty pleasant actually, not as hot as the last two years though-best of luck at it if you are competing.

Forgot to say dude well done on your podium finish there. Thats great, man it really hasn't taken you long to get back in the groove at all. Is there a report somewhere I can read??

Thanks dude. Short one over on the cycling forum under 'mark mullen league'. If im not talking to you beforehand best of luck over the weekend and enjoy the trip. Glad to hear you are feeling better. As someone who use to sabbotage themselves every weekend i know that monday and tuesday guilt but also know it doesnt last long and you dont do half as much damage as you might fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

@ KB3 - Podium finish - Very nice work man - you kept that quite!

El D, good to see your feeling a bit better after the swim. We all have our blow outs every now and again - I wouldn't worry about it as long as it's only now and again. All the best for the track this evening. But, leave a bit in the tank for the weekend. Will you be wearing the club gear?

Macanri wrote: »
    Will you be wearing the club gear?

He will if he remembers to pack it :D

@ KB3 - Podium finish - Very nice work man - you kept that quite!

A it was only a handicapped club race, with about 40 riders so nothing to get too excited about but still it was nice to attack out of the group and hold off the stronger riders behind.

• Advertisement

Will you be wearing the club gear?

Thanks man. I'll be wearing the IRL gear - you have to and it must meet the ITU standards, they are pretty fussy about this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

my personal favorite Yuliya Yelistratova ;)

Thanks for that, just googled her and mighty fine athlete she looks too :)

Good luck in Pontevedra.

and my personal favorite Yuliya Yelistratova ;)

Did she get married, I remember her winning her first race last year, was her name supanova or something like that. I liked her that day she was so happy afterwards being interviewed - not the stereotypical ice cold Eastern European woman

I am a Vanessa Raw and Helle Frederiksen fan myself :o

I suspected catweazle may weigh in on that topic yesterday ;) You have good taste my friend!

Weds Eve 22nd June

Dublin Graded Meet No.5

So I went in search of a new 1,500m PB and some much needed confidence yesterday evening. Not quite sure what's happened me this year but I've turned into a bit of a blonde.....

Turned up in Santry Stadium, in time and focused. As I pulled into the stadium I knew something was off.....'where are all the cars?':confused: usually you can't get parking. Then it dawned on me-wrong stadium, tonights race meet is in Irishtown, right across the city. Checked my watch, 19:05, my race is at 19:50. Decision time....I went for it, fortune favours the brave and all that.

I landed in Irishtown at 19:40, got registered and togged (they were running 10 min behind time). 'Right' I thought to myself 'there is one more womens race scheduled before mine, 10 mins for warm up'. While not ideal it was enough time to get strides in. I jogged for 200m when a club mate stopped me to tell me they were lining up for my race, I had to leg it across the pitch diagonally (thankfully no shot putt or javelin tonight :o) Asked if it was grade D whipped my t-shirt off and jumped into lane 1. No time to put my spikes on, had to run in my heavy(ish) runners. Thankfully they were having problems with the start gun...30 sec to breathe deep and get the HR down.

Bang and off we went. I was determined not to get boxed in so made a dash and tucked in behind two young lads. I was hoping for a PB and sub 4:50. I knew that first 700m was too slow for me but I didn't have the balls to go to the front and pick it up. With 600m to go there was a pick up in pace but I couldn't react and thought it was too early. With 300 to go I did my best to bring my pace up but it was too late. I feel I couldn't have ran it any better considering the prep I had. My finish time was 4:56:xx. 2 sec slower than last time (5 weeks ago). I am not that disappointed and I know I can do better.

Where I lost time IMO:

1) no warm up - 2sec
    2) no spikes - 2 sec
    3) lack of track racing - 2 sec
    4) head wind - 2 sec

I have one more attempt at 800m and one more at 1,500m before the end of the track season. I am determined to PB them. I will have to put all I've learned together, hope for calm days and just go for them balls out.

So not the pick me up I wanted but none the less I am glad I did it. Feeling more confident now anyway.

Time (incl CD) 25min
    Dist (incl CD) 6.5km

Thurs Morn 23rd June

Just some core work and rolling for 25 min.

Checked my weight on the two scales that they have in the gym, one read 79.5kg and the other 83.5kg :confused::) I'm going with the heavier one and I'm delighted with that.

Time 25min

Enjoyed this 7 min clip

http://youtu.be/0BaDYnpTA2Y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Thanks dude. Just looking at the weather for Kilkee it seems like it will be pretty pleasant actually, not as hot as the last two years though-best of luck at it if you are competing.

Every weather forecast I've looked at has differing conditions on the day, most of them with some amount of rain. I'm just praying its not a repeat of Valentia earlier this year.
    Dublin Graded Meet No.5

Thats still very good running, even before taking into account the other problems!

How does one find out about these events? Wouldnt mind giving something like this a lash myself to see were I stand. I believe you have to be a member of an athletics club though, is that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Enjoyed this 7 min clip

http://youtu.be/0BaDYnpTA2Y

Cheers for that. Very good clip.

I have to say I wouldn't kick any of the ladies you or CW mentioned out of bed for eating crisps! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Tough Call I guess ;)

El D Best of luck in Spain dude, give it welly! Quite jealous of you getting to watch the Elites actually. But then I will get to see Chrissie warm up at Roth (hopefully she hangs around the finish for 2 hours or so too) :)

AthloneTri-32.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Any spare space in your bike bag for me ElD? Just in case you need a hand with the two above like:) Crackers the both of them wp MCOS!!

• Advertisement

It was actually her choice of wheels that first grabbed my attention with young Helle ;)

Helle-Frederiksen-7.jpg

Vanessa is not as well known but I saw an interview with her before she won Windsor I think last year and she immediately caught my eye. She reminds me of Jamie Redknapps missus

NessRawArt_o.jpg

Now back to work lads!

Advertisement