Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim, Bike, Run....if only it was that simple!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I'd say you could look at getting to at least 12 stone and even 11.5 or less over time. If you can get withinn at least a stone of some pro's of similar height you wont be bad. Someone like Frodeno is about 12st at 6ft'4 sure.

Ya I hope I can, maybe after a good winters training and good diet then next Spring I could be close to 12.
    But i reckon you need a much better base and i think this in turn will sort out the weight thing. I know your not going long but i wouldnt call your volumes huge over the course of the year - although you go through high volume periods. I still think you struggle to fit in long runs and long rides between all the summer races

I do need a better base for sure. I realised this when it was too late (late Dec) and although I'm well up on last years volumes (swim - 32%;bike - 101% :rolleyes:; run - 69%) But as you eluded to before all that volume was on top of nothing. So I have already a loose plan ready to kick in in Early Oct.

I have reduced racing by 25% but I did get fixated on the track times and graded meeting on a Weds evening when I could have been cycling/running or whatever else. Fitting in the long run and sometimes long cycle I find difficult so for the immediate future and goals (Galway 70.3) I have prioritised the long cycle with run off and the LSR.

I was about 12 and half stone 2 years ago and had plenty of upper body muscle from years in the gym after i had to give up football. Now i have puny arms and am about 10'13 - so its defintely possible to lose weight and change shape. Long runs and rides and good diet will help this.

Thanks for that dude, I was beginning to think it's impossible, good to see an example that it can be done
    So i think what im trying to say a good winter culd see a huge change in weight and base fitness. The intensity is there, the consistency is prob lacking a bit.

I'd defo consider a BF % test too to see where you are at.

Ya a good winter base is what I need. I like your style KB - you point out what you think is wrong and also give solutions/advice on how you think they
    should be tackled. Thanks dude.

Oh and thanks for that link...I've e mailed already to get more info on it, watch this space.

Mon Morn 11th July

Plan LC Swim Session
    Actual LC Swim Session

Plan was WU, drills and a main set of 16 X 100's off 2 min(broken into sets of 4). Only got 5 of the 100's done as we were kicked out for filming of some sort :mad: So for what it's worth I was coming in on 1:44 to 1:46.

Mon Afternoon 11th July

Plan 16k LSR
    Actual Nothing

Life got in the way yesterday. Instead of intervals on Tuesday I will do the LSR as I have that prioritised.

Tues Morn 12th July

Plan Core/Strength/Rolling
    Actual Core/Strength/Rolling

My usual session. I will now be add first phase of pedestal poses and the Myrtl routine in, I'm already doing some of these but it will be more structured now.

Tues Morn 12th July

Plan LC Swim Session
    Actual LC Swim Session

So after a WU and a few drill sets it was 3 x 500 off 10:30.

1) 9:24
    2) 9:24
    3) 8:58 PB

The faster last set leads me to believe I should have had them all come in under 9:15, possibly 9:10, usually my pacing is better than this. A 500 PB only because I have never documented one before so better to start now.

Tues 12th July Afternoon

Plan Club Run Session
    Actual LSR 17km - negative split run

Has I to miss yesterday's LSR I did it today as it is of high priority between now and Sept 4th.

First 'Half' Dist 8.44km; Time 39:58; Pace 4:44/km; HR 143
    Second 'Half' Dist 7.67km; Time 34:51; Pace 4:33/km; HR 168 (then a 5 min CD period)
    Overall Dist 16.83km; Time 1:19:13; Pace 4:42/km; HR 155/175

Well at this stage everybody here knows how much I hate the LSR. None the less I know it's importance and by god by the end of this year I will learn to LOVE THE LSR!!:D Today was no different, I negative split the run but it was a struggle in the last km...and I am hoping to hit 4:15 for a half marathon after 90k on a bike in 7 weeks time :eek: We'll see (I may have to revise).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

My advice would be to run the next LSR a little slower ~4:50 to 5:00/km pace. Then in the next one add about 4 or 5 miles at HM Planned Pace (current, so maybe 4:20/km). Add them towards the later part of the run. Then do every second LSR with the HM pace building up to about 8miles (max).

Wk 1 LSR
    Wk 2 LSR w 5 at HMP
    3 LSR
    4 w 6 @ HMP
    5 LSR
    6 Medium length SR
    Wk 7 Taper week.

Macanri wrote: »
    My advice would be to run the next LSR a little slower ~4:50 to 5:00/km pace. Then in the next one add about 4 or 5 miles at HM Planned Pace (current, so maybe 4:20/km). Add them towards the later part of the run. Then do every second LSR with the HM pace building up to about 8miles (max).

Wk 1 LSR
    Wk 2 LSR w 5 at HMP
    3 LSR
    4 w 6 @ HMP
    5 LSR
    6 Medium length SR
    Wk 7 Taper week.

Thanks Mac that's great! Nice to have a little structure on it. Just to be clear do you mean do my next LSR (11mile) at 4:50-5/km then the following week do the 11 mile + 5 at HIM pace, that'd be 16 mikes altogether. Or do you mean 6 slow and 5 at HIM pace. I presume it's the later??

• Advertisement

Thanks Mac that's great! Nice to have a little structure on it. Just to be clear do you mean do my next LSR (11mile) at 4:50-5/km then the following week do the 11 mile + 5 at HIM pace, that'd be 16 mikes altogether. Or do you mean 6 slow and 5 at HIM pace. I presume it's the later??

Yea, sorry about the non-descriptive post earlier, I was a bit rushed - I really shouldn't have started typing til I had time.

Anyway, What I meant was the later - ie, 11 miles total - maybe 5 slow, 5 at half marathon pace and 1 as a cool down.

But, as I wrote it out week by week I saw that its only getting you 2 LSRs with pace. So maybe structure it like this:

Wk 1 LSR with 4 or 5 at HMP (Half Marathon Pace)
    Wk 2 LSR
    Wk 3 LSR w/ 5 or 6 at HMP
    Wk 4 LSR
    Wk 5 LSR w/ 6 or 7 at HMP
    6 Medium length SR
    Wk 7 Taper week.

Now, I don't know what the max distance you are going to do in your LSR - what sort of distance were you thinking - as a max distance for the LSR over the 7 weeks? And what week were you planning to hit it on?

I am drawing my rough guide from the Hal Higdon Half Marathon 'Advanced' plan that I used for Waterford Half Marathon. http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/adv.htm

Its worth a read. But seen as you have to add time in your week for the bike and swim, on top of the run, you could have to adjust his plan a bit. He has a specific day for just race pace; and some of his LSR are what he calls a 3/1 (where you run the first 3/4 easy and finish off the last 1/4 at near race pace). BUT, he has these type of runs spaced every 3 weeks, with the race paced shorter runs 2 out of every 3 weeks.

I have specified a LSR with Half Marathon Paced sections in every 2 weeks, which I suppose makes up for the fact that your not running the 'just race pace runs' - the ones he has on a Sat in that plan. He also just brings this race pace run to 5 miles - so maybe my suggestion of 8 miles at pace is a little too much. But if I was doing the plan for myself I think I would bring it to 7 miles anyway.

Now others may disagree with this plan. - If you do please say so. This is just my opinion, and I will take any comments well (be they good or bad).

So El D, food for thought - I hope it's of some help, and that I haven't now wrecked your head! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

El D, have you laid out your split targets for Galway for all 3 disciplines?
    Are you keeping these close to your chest or have you shared?
    Would be interested in seeing them.

Yea, sorry about the non-descriptive post earlier, I was a bit rushed - I really shouldn't have started typing til I had time.

Anyway, What I meant was the later - ie, 11 miles total - maybe 5 slow, 5 at half marathon pace and 1 as a cool down.

But, as I wrote it out week by week I saw that its only getting you 2 LSRs with pace. So maybe structure it like this:

Wk 1 LSR with 4 or 5 at HMP (Half Marathon Pace)
    Wk 2 LSR
    Wk 3 LSR w/ 5 or 6 at HMP
    Wk 4 LSR
    Wk 5 LSR w/ 6 or 7 at HMP
    6 Medium length SR
    Wk 7 Taper week.

Now, I don't know what the max distance you are going to do in your LSR - what sort of distance were you thinking - as a max distance for the LSR over the 7 weeks? And what week were you planning to hit it on?

I am drawing my rough guide from the Hal Higdon Half Marathon 'Advanced' plan that I used for Waterford Half Marathon. http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/adv.htm

Its worth a read. But seen as you have to add time in your week for the bike and swim, on top of the run, you could have to adjust his plan a bit. He has a specific day for just race pace; and some of his LSR are what he calls a 3/1 (where you run the first 3/4 easy and finish off the last 1/4 at near race pace). BUT, he has these type of runs spaced every 3 weeks, with the race paced shorter runs 2 out of every 3 weeks.

I have specified a LSR with Half Marathon Paced sections in every 2 weeks, which I suppose makes up for the fact that your not running the 'just race pace runs' - the ones he has on a Sat in that plan. He also just brings this race pace run to 5 miles - so maybe my suggestion of 8 miles at pace is a little too much. But if I was doing the plan for myself I think I would bring it to 7 miles anyway.

Now others may disagree with this plan. - If you do please say so. This is just my opinion, and I will take any comments well (be they good or bad).

So El D, food for thought - I hope it's of some help, and that I haven't now wrecked your head! :o

Thanks for all that Mac. Food for thought indeed. I was planning on a 22km max distance on the 24th of July and again the 15th Aug. Now I am open to changing this if it doesn't sound right. Anyway for now it seems your rough plan fits in with mine so I'm happy to go with it. I hope to have an attempt at a half marathon straight (not off the bike) soon so I might just use that programme.
    El D, have you laid out your split targets for Galway for all 3 disciplines?
    Are you keeping these close to your chest or have you shared?
    Would be interested in seeing them.

Hey NT, I haven't and probably won't be laying out my split targets for this race for a few reasons. Although if I did I certainly would post them here as I always strive to keep the log as honest as possible.

Now the reasons for not setting split targets

1) It's Galway - god only knows what the weather will throw up on the day, making predicting a bike split very tough
    2) The sea there can be very very choppy/rough, if it's anything like Cope a few weeks ago - all bets are off regarding a good swim spilt
    3) This is my first attempt at this distance so I think it would be unwise to put myself under extra pressure.

The run is flat and given a calm enough day I am hoping for a 90 min half marathon, BUT Salthill can be a very very windy place so we will have to wait and see.

Now a long time ago I predicted a hopeful time of 4:50. I've obviously thought about it in more detail since and now I guess a sub 5 is the target but like I said that could all change come the morning of the 4th Sept.

So the question is I suppose - How do I intend pacing myself?
    Well I am currently coming up with a heart rate pacing plan, just doing research on the net and reading up a bit. I will post my plan once (I think) I've nailed it, then I'm sure upon advice I will tweak it a bit and go with that.

Weds morn 13th July

Weds morn 13th July

Plan LC Swim Session
    Actual LC Swim Session

After a WU and drills I got stuck into Monday's interrupted session, 16 x 100 off 2 min, broken into 4 sets of 4.

Set 1 1:39 - 1:45
    Set 2 1:38 - 1:44
    Set 3 1:39 - 1:45
    Set 4 1:38 - 1:49

So no. 15 and 16 was tough, my arms were beginning to lag. Not a bad session though overall.

Time 1:20
    Dist 2,800

Yea, why I was aking when the max length LSR would be done was that I was thinking it may be better to do the longer length LSR on a day with out the built in LSR with pace. It's only a thought. I don't know would it make much difference either way - probably not much - I'll leave that up to yourself.

Nice swim session this morning BTW.

Weds Eve 13th July

Plan Swords CC Race - 3.75 laps (c.46km)
    Actual Swords CC Race - 3.75 laps (c.46km)

So tonight was my second club race proper (two others being TT's). When it comes to TT's I'm confident enough as I know what I can do but it's a different story with these races. I ain't that confident descending or "techy" bits so I was glad to see that tonights race was on the same circuit that I had done before.

I went with a huge group 2. Unlike last time I was ready for the frantic start and tbh the whole first lap was a bit hairy :o We did seem to work well tonight but when it came to the first hill after a left turn it brke down a bit and never got going again until the start of the second lap. I guess this was because of the technical and hilly bits. I took my turn at the front which only lasted a few seconds as we were working well together. I was determined not to waste too much energy getting out of the saddle at every hill like I did the last time. So it was just a manner of sitting and spinning up and keeping some momentum going.

On lap two things settled a bit and again we got things going pretty well. I put this down to a few experienced heads getting lads to come through and keep it going. I knew at this point the finish would be tough as it finished on the hill outside the school.

On lap three I decided to get up and stay in the top third if I could. So when it came to the first hill again, a fairly steepish hill, I found myself at the top of the group, I was comfortable here and kept seated spinning up to the top. What I love about these races is the sheer excitement of being in a large group at those speeds! The group was still big and I would find myself drifting to the back so I had to keep on it to get back to the top.

On the start of lap four there seemed like there was a break on, one guy went and I followed. There was a guy further up the road, he seemed handy enough but I don't know where he came from. He got a bit of a bolloxing for trying to organise the break and myself and the other guy dropped a bit but the group was right behind us anyway. So last time up the steepish hill I found myself at the top again so, again, I spun up and after this things started to pick up. I handled the "bendy" bits much better tonight I'm glad to say. It was hard work trying to stay near the top knowing the end was neigh. I was in the top 10 coming to the last bend so I knew I had a good chance of getting points and I didn't want it to slip. After the last left turn it was basically uphill for 500m or so to the finish. We took the turn and it happened - everyone was out of their seats, including me and all of a sudden I was being swamped, I was also being boxed in which was frustrating as I knew I could get past the guys in front of me - then it opened up and I went for it! Quads began to cramp and hamstrings likewise but I was nearly there, 6th, 5th...4th!

Delighted to get my first points (other than 2). Most importantly for me I've got more confidence in myself in group racing so I think I will give group 3 a go next time.

Stats

Time 1:17:5
    Dist 46km
    Speed 35.4/56.9km/hr
    HR 153/177

Total Time 1:40
    Dist (incl WU & CD) 56km

• Advertisement

So I'm gone home for a week or so, gardening, painting, weeding etc... Before I left Dublin I got got an easy pool session and some core and rolling done. There is only one bit of road near me that is flat enough for 1 km intervals, a bog road-quiet as anywhere on God's green! But....despite me not getting out till 9 this evening I've never that "road" so busy-tractors and trailers with loads of turf.... felt guilty not stopping to help the neighbours :p

Thurs Morn 14th July

As per usual it took me ages to get to sleep after last nights race - 3:30am to be exact! I was up at 7, I will catch up on the sleep tomorrow. I wasn't sore at all from last night.

Time 30min

Thurs Morn 14th July

Plan Easy Swim Session
    Actual Easy Swim Session

Plan was a good WU and CD with drills thrown in too - 1,600 all in all. However, I got caught up talking to a couple f legends of the game....picking their brains I was ;)

Time 35min
    Dist 1,200m

Thurs Evening 14th July

Plan Run Interval Session
    Actual Run Interval Session

Session was 4 X 1k with 4 min rest; then 4 x 100m (50 steady/fast second 50). Here is the main set (no HR monitor this evening):

1) 3:30
    2) 3:33
    3) 3:41
    4) 3:28

These were done on a straight line more or less or I have to assume that it's fairly accurately measured. So again the question - is the Polo Ground lap really 1km?? I think these times are a fairer reflection of were I am right now - as opposed to the 3:16 - 3:19's I was hitting last Friday in the Polo Grounds.

Total Time 51 min
    Total Dist 10.5km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

^^^^^^Sorry about that Mac, I had a lot of catching up to do, thought it was the best way :rolleyes::o

Ya I mean....how bad could it be? :o Go for it, if you don't mind/have the time. E mail address is: [email]micheal_gaffey@hotmail.com....Maybe[/email] you could be my coach! ;)
    That could be interesting!!!

I'll get back to you soon after going over your training log :)
    As you've figured out I'm better at mails than boards these days.
    I'm 185cm
    and 13 + stone? A good 2 stone or so to go there to get to racing weight.
    Ya good point.

I haven't had enough time yet to dig really deep but €80/month is the cheapest I've seen so far.

Some are cheaper. Some are pricey. Like everything!
    +1 on this if Tunney ever decides to go into coaching. I like his direct approach and calling it as he sees it plus he seems to be a stats nerd like me....sorry Tunney:)

Yes I am a nerd at heart and have spreadsheets and spreadsheets and use all manner of software for analysis and if it doesn't do what I want I write my own.

Here I was thinking that people hated my direct approach :)

I had this post have written when bloody Safari quit all of a sudden :mad:

So here is a shortened verson.

Friday

My two planned sessions missed between one thing or another, couldn't be helped-being at home my time isn't really my own.

Sat 16th July

Plan Swim 1,000m; Bike 90km; Run 30min
    Actual Swim 1,400m; Bike 93km; Run 32min

Utterly miserable day but I really feel today will stand to me. I now know what lies ahead of me on Sept 4th - and I did it in those conditions so it can't be much worse than that.

Swim

The water was lovely, the chop/swell was minimal too. Headed out to some flags and back to Black rock. The jelly freaked me out when I touched them, it made me swim much faster than I had intended :rolleyes:

Time 30 min
    Dist c.1400m

Bike

I rarely get clothing on the bike wrong but I did today. My saddle seemed to have tilted about 10 degrees to which I really paid for later. So from Salthill we (a mate of mine with me today) headed to Barna, road surface fine here. In Barna you take a right and head to the N59 and Moycullen. This road is full of loose chippings and there is a section of potholes too. There is a steady climb, the kind I like, for about 3k. There is then a 2k decent before getting to the N59 - a bit dangerous because of the surface and because it was so wet, some serious speed can be got here. Onto the main road then and into Moycullen-crap road surface this side of the town for about 2k but other than that fine. Next town is Oughterard which has a dangerous bend/bridge at the far end of the town. This is where the scenery gets beautiful and the course gets serious. You are totally exposed all the way to Mass Cross (turning point). There are no significant hills but any hill is made feel like mountain because of that head wind. I threw in 5 TT efforts, 3 into the wind and 2 with it at my back. My mate turned back soon after Oughterard so I was solo for the next 56km. With my position all f'd up because of the saddle I wasn't able to hold the TT position for long and by the end of the ride I was very much crumbled up :o I was a happy man at the turn around and it was much easier on the way back but my quads were shot now. On the way out I averaged 25km/hr and on the way back, roughly 33km/hr. I didn't charge my garmin and it died at around the 70k mark, at least I got the intervals out of it. On the way back you don't go into Barna, you stay on the main road all the way to Galway. The TT's;

1) 08:47
    2) 10:33
    3) 10:44
    4) 08:56
    5) 08:32

They were tough. Anybody cycling this route on a regular basis must be very very strong.

Time c.3:20
    Dist c.93km
    Speed c. 28.5km/hr

Run

Time 32min
    Dist c.7km
    This was meant to be 4:15/km pace but with no garmin I couldn't pace myself. I also met back with my mate and just decided to run at his pace. We started at 5min/k pace but by the end we were clipping along at I'd say 4:15 pace.

My Thoughts

Well I'm glad to be home now thats for sure, fire down (yes a fire in July!) and I'm toasty. I think this race is going to be tougher than I thought. 65% of the surface is fine but it is very rough and there is a lot of road falling away into the verge. I think the constant shaking and vibrations take a lot out of you so I am thinking of getting Quad compression gear just to minimise the vibration which would lead to the muscle fatiguing at a slower rate.

After today I know I will struggle to hold a 4:15 pace on the run and I certainly won't be able to get straight into that pace. However I do have 7 weeks and that is a long time so who knows. One thing is for sure-this is going to be a lot harder than I thought but I'm glad I found that out today and not on Sept 4th. I have one more day planned on the course, Aug 20th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭griffin100

Sounds like a tough course El D. I think a lot of peole are in for a nasty surprise with that bike course come race day, and if the sea is choppy then I reckon a lot of the inexperienced OW swimmers are going to suffer.

Hopefully it'll be 20 degrees and no wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Its a pity they weren't able to get the coast road on the way back, much better surface and some nice sea views but I suppose closing two roads would have been impossible.

It could be a long day if the chop is up on the sea as well, I certainly wouldn't have fancied any more swimming in The Galway Cope that day although the Aquathon last week conditions were lovely

Pot luck really I suppose

Sunday 17th July

Plan 18k LSR with a pace of 4:15/km from 8km - 16km
    Actual 17.5k LSR with a pace of 4:15/km from 8km - 16km

Usually like to get this done early in the day at a weekend but I hadn't recovered sufficiently to do so this morning. Bloody sore with usually doesn't happen me, I recover very quickly, that small change in the bike set up crippled me-seeing my bike "setter-up" man on Weds to get me right again.

It was 7pm when I got out, the usual - cold, rainy, windy. I was so close to dropping the session but it is one of 2 key sessions so it had to be done. Once I got out it wasn't looking forward to having to try and hold the 4:15 pace for 5 miles. I wasn't 500m into the tempo bit when I was blocked by a herd of cows with a farmers wife driving them along the road :rolleyes: sure what could I do...I helped her along, it was only 3/400m :) Anyway I got going again. The route is VERY hilly so it was going to be a challenge especially after yesterdays tough day. I had to really really dig in and actually was loving the tough task of keeping a 4:15 pace. I thought I had lost it at one stage but all of a sudden I got very determined, dug in and pulled it out of the bag. It was the hills that were killing the pace and the half mar in Galway 70.3 is flat so I won't have to worry about that.

Tempo Dist 8k; Time 33:54; Pace 4:13/km; HR 164
    Overall Dist 17.5km; Time 1:22:27; Pace 4:43/km; HR 145/180

Thanks Mac for giving me a bit of structure on these runs for the next 7 weeks :)

Weekly Summary

11 July - 17 July|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|10|15:35|211.1
    Swimming|5|05:15|9,800
    Cycling|2|05:00|149
    Running|4|04:05|52.3
    Strenth/Core/Bikram|3|01:15|N/A

Weight Watch

Last Week 84.5kg
    This Week 83.5kg

Missed Sessions Watch 3 :(

Mon Morn 17th July

Plan Swim Session
    Actual Swim Session

WU and drills followed by 100,200,400,400,200,100. 100's off 2min, 200's off 4min, 400's off 8min. Made them all comfortably enough so I was very happy with that.

Time 1:15
    Dist 2,700m

Despite dropping weight I am not happy. Eat a ton of crap at the weekend...it is not good enough....I need to be held accountable....so starting tomorrow I'm keeping a food diary....here...online....

Good man El D. You nailed the first LSR w/ Pace. Glad to be of some help.
    The hills wouldn't have made it any easier and probably equate to closer to 4:05 or 4:10/km on a flatter route. So hopefully the next one in 2 weeks time will 'seem' a little easier - hopefully! Good going.

Good man El D. You nailed the first LSR w/ Pace. Glad to be of some help.
    The hills wouldn't have made it any easier and probably equate to closer to 4:05 or 4:10/km on a flatter route. So hopefully the next one in 2 weeks time will 'seem' a little easier - hopefully! Good going.

Thats Mac, the next LSR will be in Bolton actually as I am going there to cheer on Linda's bro in IMUK and JB also! So I will fit it in somehow.

Tues Morn 19th May

Plan Swim Session
    Actual Nothing

I love being at home but training has become inconsistent and the diet has become unpredictable :( UP at 6:15 to get to Roscommon swimming pool as I thought it opened at 7am. Afraid not - 10am:mad: Which got me thinking - "What would I do if I lived back home for swimming?" This is something I want to do in the future but I didn't think it would be much of a problem as I would probably be doing longer distance. Anyway thats for another day.

So no session done and...and....mam had a fry (well a grill) ready for me :rolleyes::( Good love her-I do! I hadn't the heart to say anything so....I gobbled it up :o

Tues Evening 19th July

Plan Bike - Hill Session
    Actual Bike - Hill Session

Had I been in Dublin it would have been 15 hill reps so I found a suitable place at home, 4 hills and in total 17 reps.

Time 1:14:17
    Dist 34.5km
    Speed 27.8/59.4
    HR 124/160

So the first report...here goes....:o

Tues 19th Food Diary

Morning Apple, banana, half grapefruit....went to swim session

After Cancelled Swim Session Porridge with manuka honey and flacseed 3 Rahers, 3 sausages, 2 eggs, fried mushrooms, wholemeal bread tea

Afternoon Beans, waffles, ham, wholemeal toast, mayo, tea, timeout bar

After training this evening Potato, cabbage, turnips, beef, ketchup

I must say this is far from a typical day for me. I'm embaressed :o It looks shocking but I am going back to Dublin tomorrow so that should see a return to a more normal routine for me.

In other news..... the bottom of my left foot is very sore all day, I can't explain it but I am limping. I am hoping to do the Bray Aquathon tomorrow evening but I will have to wait and see.

Weds Afternoon 20th July

Plan NAC LC SWim Session
    Actual NAC LC SWim Session

WU and drills followed by 16 X 100 off 2 min, broke into 4 sets of 4 with a minute between sets. This time I used this session for pacing purposes so...descend the 100's 1 - 4.

1) 1:46; 1:46; 1:45; 1:38
    2) 1:52; 1:50; 1:45; 1:36
    3) 1:52; 1:49; 1:45; 1:39
    4) 1:50; 1:48; 1:43; 1:36

The first was a little off but the rest were grand.

Dist 2,700m

So regarding the title. As I had eluded to in earlier posts I was suspecting something was up with my TT set up since returning from Spain so I went back to my bike fitting guy (Fernando Fuentes) to see what's up. There were 3 things up - including the height of my saddle by 1.5cm :rolleyes: Anyways feels way better now.

I saw he has a computrainer - hence the title. I had a half hour or so playing around with it-I love it! All those stats! I did a bit of Kona, a virtual make it yourself 3D course, spin scan analysis (the most impressive thing). It's incredible really. Recently I had been thinking of a new TT bike, I find mine a little heavy but Fernando put it well - if you are doing Im next year then a new lighter bike MIGHT make sense-but if not the computrainer is the way to go as it improves performance and you will have it for years.

This is all I need-more expense! My biggest challenge is managing finances now....:(

Weds Evening 20th July

Plan Bray Aquathon (750m/5km)
    Actual Bray Aquathon (750m/5km)

Well I only finished my pool session at 3:30 and this race was at 7:30, and it wasn't an easy pool session either, when I got out of the pool my left hamstring cramped up into a very tight ball - so painfull! All because of my very inefficient hill climbing the day before. Funnily enough Fernando pointed that out to me on the computrainer yesterday and I was able to see why and then now I am aware of it. Anyway, not ideal prep but then again this is a training race.

I really like these races as the swim and run are my two weakest disciplines and this is a great chance to improve both. Also these races are usually of a high standard. Since my first one two years ago I thought to myself that you must be in serious shape to be (a) top 10 and (b) do it sub 30. Lastnight I ticked one of those boxes.

So with sore quads (trying my new Quad compression for the first time), a sore foot and still feeling the severe cramp in my left hamstring (took two nuuns to try and help that) I hit off on the train to Bray. I love this journey as it gives me the chance to read.

Swim

A short warm up and we were off. The swim is a bit longer than 750m but thats grand, it's the same for everyone. It was very rough at the first buoy but I kept out of it training to just slip through. I really got into my stride then and for once I felt like I was doing well, not near the back like I always think I am-I know I was near the top and had clear water. I was however very wide and nobody to share the work with which I was glad because this was for training purposes. At the last turn there was a ton of "lace weed" I seriously thought it was going to tighten around both my arms and legs and pull me down :eek: It really stopped me and others in our tracks for about 100m. I swam right up until the sand was nearly touching my chest. Others got up too early and struggled to haul themselves out or wasted energy jumping back in. I was 10th out :)

Time c.12min; Dist c.750m; Pos 10/77;

Trans A good transition had me on the run in about 50 sec.

Run

I quickly got into my stride and it was then I realised exactly how many were ahead of me. I thought "well these guys are obviously good, don't be surprised not to catch any of them." I did though, I felt I had a lovely rhythm and cadence going. Then that b*stard of a hill that is Bray Head, this is were I caught the guy ahead of me. I moved up well keeping a nice tempo into 7th place. With about 400m to go a young lad caught me, he was moving too fast for me to get him back though.

Time c.18:30; Dist c.5km; Pos 8/77

Overall 31:32 Course PB; Pos 8/77

Delighted with the race and felt very good. I knew once I started all my niggles would go. These niggles are not serious, I'm just in the 3rd of 3 weeks of high(ish) volume training-bring on resting/testing week :) The race also has given me some confidence in my run and swim.

Thurs Morn 21st July

Plan Strength/Core/Rolling session
    Actaul Strength/Core/Rolling session

Always a nice recovery session on a Thurs morning.

Time 30min

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well done in the Aquathon dude.

Interesting regarding the Computrainer. I know Tunney swears by them. I'd love to get one too but I'm not sure I'll be able to swing it! ;) Have you priced them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done in the Aquathon. What sort of money are they looking for the computrainer? I have heard they are very accurate and a good piece of kit. You should buy one......well thats if you are not upgrading your tt bike for your IM attempt next year:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Id be of the opposite opinion - yes a computrainer would be nice, as would a power meter for your bike, a new TT bike, a power meter for that, new deep section wheels, a coach, some warm weather training etc etc - but do you really need it? Where do you draw the line?

I mean I dont remember Sean Kelly having one. I'm all for sports science and making the most of your abilities with limited time etc etc but not at the cost of financial worries and stresses.

I like blowing money as much as the next guy but I think sometimes you have to be sensible. I wont even get into the economy as i could go on for days...

They cost between €1,600 and €2,000. This is the thing - where do you draw the line as KB says. Anyway, I'm only thinking out loud, daydreaming really and then reality hits. Ah well....nice to dream anyway.

Thurs Afternoon 21st July

Plan A run/swim brick
    Actual A run/swim brick

I forgot that their is a major swim gala on for the next 4 days in the NAC this morning so I couldn't swim until 1 - 3:30. I then decided to combine the run session planned for later with swim.

Run

After a WU it was 200m x 12, broken into 3 sets of 4 with 25 sec recovery and 4 minutes between sets. Very tough session on tried enough legs and in the pouring rain. My times where down but I haven't done much speed work lately so decided to concentrate on form and technique. I was coming in on 34- 38 seconds. Then a CD and into the NAC pool.

Time 45 min
    Dist 8.3km

Swim

A nice session of drills and a focus on technique and form also.

Time 55min
    Dist 1,600m

O BTW I am already quitting the on line food diary, mainly because it's too time consuming and annoying :p In general it's going very well this week. I think this is because I'm back in Dublin and my routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Well done at the aquathon El D!

Fri Morn 22nd July

Plan Strength/Core/Rolling
    Actual Strength/Core/Rolling

The legs are getting sore now which is to be expected as I'm near the end of my 3 week high volume period so I did extra rolling. I am also wearing compression gear all the time these last two days!

Time 30min

Plan NAC LC Swim Session
    Actual NAC LC SWim Session

After my WU and drills I had planned 4 X 500 off 10:30 but because of the gala on these days we were chucked out earlier than expected and then went into the 25m pool so I only got 3 x 500 done.

1) 09:25
    2) 08:58
    3) 08:54

A nice cool down then. Happy with my stroke, the drills I've been doing over the last 3 weeks are really keeping me focused on technique.

Dist 2,700m

I think you've enough swimming done El D. Id strongly recommend you cut back on it otherwise you could end up injured or even worse
    you could pass me on the swim in the SBR challenge :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭griffin100

A nice cool down then. Happy with my stroke, the drills I've been doing over the last 3 weeks are really keeping me focused on technique.

What drills are you doing El D? I've been using one arm, catch up and fist drills and I'm starting to see some improvements but I'd be interested to know what you're doing.

Bambaata wrote: »
    I think you've enough swimming done El D. Id strongly recommend you cut back on it otherwise you could end up injured or even worse
    you could pass me on the swim in the SBR challenge :p

Ha! The very guy that only a few weeks ago suggested that one should really be trying to get near 10,000m per week...you've only yourself to blame dude :p Anyway rest easy this weekend-I won't be swimming over it! BTW congrts on Run Green!
    griffin100 wrote: »
    What drills are you doing El D? I've been using one arm, catch up and fist drills and I'm starting to see some improvements but I'd be interested to know what you're doing.

Well I have two routines and alternate them:

Routine 1

1. Kick
    2. "Pressing the buoy"* (with/without fins)
    3. Tap the pull buoy at the end of each stroke
    4. Catch up drill with kick board as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPstowUHIFg

Routine 2

1. Kick
    2. "Swim Taller"* (with/without fins)
    3. "Swim like a knife"* (rotations, with/without fins)
    4. Shoulder tap drill

* As in Joe Friels Training Bible

Dude if you'd like me to go into more detail about any of these just PM me and I'd be happy to. I do 200m of each, some days though I will do extra kick set like 12 x 50m with 15 sec rest. I find the drills really make me think about each part of my stroke.

Fri Afternoon 22nd July

Bike/Run Brick With Intervals

Plan Bike MAX intervals (7 x 45 sec)
    Actual Bike MAX intervals (6 x 45 sec)

With my quads the way they were I decided to do only 6. Repeat 1,3 and 5 - slight tail wind, repeat 2,4 and 6 - slight head wind:

1) 479m; HR 111; Speed 38.3/km
    2) 447m; HR 132; Speed 35.7/km
    3) 529m; HR 134; Speed 47.9/km
    4) 458m; HR 138; Speed 40.4/km
    5) 539m; HR 141; Speed 47.6/km
    6) 482m; HR 144; Speed 42.2/km

Total Time 1:05
    Total Dist 26.5km

Plan Run Intervals - 10 X 400m with 90 sec recovery-target 72 - 74
    Actual Run Intervals - 6 X 400m with 90 sec recovery-target 72 - 74

Brought it down to 6 for same reason as above. Odd ones - tail wind, evens - head wind:

1. 74sec; HR 139
    2. 77sec; HR 149
    3. 70sec; HR 151
    4. 79sec; HR 154
    5. 73sec; HR 155
    6. 81sec; HR 156

Found the ones against the head wind tough going but I was surprised to be able to do as well really. Funny thing, at first I thought I wouldn't be able to finish the session as the quads were really hurting but...as the session went on they loosened out and I think the session did them well.

Total Time 26min
    Total Dist 4.5km

I won't be doing this type of brick anymore-it detracts from the quality of the run session. I want to be able to do 10 x 400 on 60 sec rest and target of 72-74 sec.

• Advertisement

Ha! The very guy that only a few weeks ago suggested that one should really be trying to get near 10,000m per week...you've only yourself to blame dude :p Anyway rest easy this weekend-I won't be swimming over it! BTW congrts on Run Green!

I dont get that myself! Im generally around 7 to 8k. I know lads doing 12-15 and they say you need that. Im happy enough with where i am though. Swimming 4 times a week could be hard to maintain and i'd need that 4th session to get close to that.

You get my mail ok last week?

Advertisement