Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim, Bike, Run....if only it was that simple!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Bambaata

We'd all love your cold problems BetterThanHoyte ;-)

Lidl are doing cheap thermals right now so i wouldn't mind having to wear some more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Tues Morn 23rd Aug

Swim

The main set here was 8 x 200m off 4 min and one min rest after 4. These were coming in between 3:31 - 3:37. Armsfeeling heavy enough, although starting taper after tomorrow's training I won't start swim taper until Monday. Also tomorrow or Thursday I will be posting my pacing and nutrition strategies here for the race.

Time 1:05
    Dist 2,400m

Tues Eve 23rd Aug

Back to club running this evening as they have started cross country prep. About 9 miles at 7:35/mile pace or 4:44/km. A nice off road trail run.

Time 1:04:29
    Dist 13.6km
    HR 146/160
    Pace 4:44/km

Do you really want to be as skinny as me? You'll be cold ALL the time. OW swimming without a wetsuit is out, even in the warmest day of summer. OW swimming with a wetsuit is out till mid May at best. I was frozen that morning I met yourself and Bambaata at the 40ft and when we stopped for about 2 minutes I couldnt get warm again and lost all feeling in my arms and feet. 5/6 layers on the bike in winter. It'll cost you a fortune in base layers. Its not that much fun!!!

Ha, ya I would actually! I rarely swim sans wetsuit anyway, only in sunnier climates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Do you really want to be as skinny as me? You'll be cold ALL the time. OW swimming without a wetsuit is out, even in the warmest day of summer. OW swimming with a wetsuit is out till mid May at best. I was frozen that morning I met yourself and Bambaata at the 40ft and when we stopped for about 2 minutes I couldnt get warm again and lost all feeling in my arms and feet. 5/6 layers on the bike in winter. It'll cost you a fortune in base layers. Its not that much fun!!!

Seriously - BTH aint joking - it doesnt help that he refracts all light. He turned sideways the other night at OW swimming and disappeared. All we could hear was his shivering. Eventually the tide turned and someone caught a glimpse of his frozen stick like frame drifting off to the right ... always to the right ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

interested wrote: »
    Seriously - BTH aint joking - it doesnt help that he refracts all light. He turned sideways the other night at OW swimming and disappeared. All we could hear was his shivering. Eventually the tide turned and someone caught a glimpse of his frozen stick like frame drifting off to the right ... always to the right ;)

I meant to add that if you end up as skinny as me you leave yourself open to as much abuse as I get from the swimming gorilla. Although I dont think drifting to the right has anything to do with being skinny.

• Advertisement

swimming gorilla
    Aquatic silverback has a nice ring to it, thanks Bosco ;)

Weds Morn 24th Aug

Swim - NAC LC

This mornings session called for 500 X 4 off 10 min. Got into it after a WU and some drills. Felt strong even with heavy arms. Times reflect the tired arms but I am glad with how I feel as I know when rested I will be grand. The 500's came in on 9:28-9:33.

Time 1:20
    Dist 3,000m

Last Long Brick Session

Bike

Well this was my last chance to nail down a pacing plan (pretty much knew it at this stage anyway) and a nutrition plan (knew it but which gels? :confused:)

LIke the swimming - felt strong and comfortable throughout but heavy, tired legs. I had the Gatorade with me again (no mishaps this time and actually got to test it), just in case I decide to get it at the aid stations. Note to self DO NOT try and re-fill the aero bottle when riding over very rough ground :rolleyes: I also had a banana at 30km.

Time 2:57:25
    Dist 81.25km
    HR 121/156
    Speed 27.5km/hr
    Cad 87rpm

Run

Same as above. Strong but tired legs. Actually felt really good here, the ISO gels is what I will go with now as I felt fine. I eyed up things in the distance and stayed focused throughout, felt fairly comfortable.

Time 38:03
    Dist 9km
    HR 159/171
    Pace 4:16

Some more confidence in the bag now, really happy with that session and I have my plan set out now, I will post it later this evening. Only one thing and I know some might think I'm worried for no reason and that is - I really find it hard to see how I will have a sub 3hr bike, maybe with a pointy helmet and race wheels and the bit extra you find in a big race....but I am a bit concerned as that is vital for a sub 5 hour attempt, really for me and taking long transitions into account it needs to be sub 2:45. Mmmm we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

You ll do a sub 3 bike in your sleep. I ll be surprised if its not around 2.50 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

El D,

Seems like your plan has come together at the right time and well deserved with the training you have put in.

I have no doubt you get a sub 3 bike, closer the 2.40 I reckon.

It is good to read god news stories as I have had a disaster of a run in to Galway, next to no training in the last 2 weeks due to injury. Should be ok for Galway, just nursing myself back :)

Hope to catch up with you in Galway (either before or after the race, cause it won't happen during).

Here's to a good last week for you

El D,

Seems like your plan has come together at the right time and well deserved with the training you have put in.

I have no doubt you get a sub 3 bike, closer the 2.40 I reckon.

It is good to read god news stories as I have had a disaster of a run in to Galway, next to no training in the last 2 weeks due to injury. Should be ok for Galway, just nursing myself back :)

Hope to catch up with you in Galway (either before or after the race, cause it won't happen during).

Here's to a good last week for you

Hey NT, I'm sorry to hear your prep has been less than ideal, you'll have that though from time to time. I had it last year but thank god this year has been pretty smooth. It'll be great to meet up with you and all the boards guys over the weekend :)

Thurs Morn 25th Aug

Well back to school time and I'm glad. I manage my time much better when I have somewhere I MUST be. Set the alarm for 5:30 this morning but it was after 6:30 when I hit the gym floor and therefore the knock on effect was I didn't get the swim session in I wanted. Meet Macanri and Interested - the later seemed very concerned for me going back (I sensed a little sarcasm ;))

Anyway, in the gym I stretched, rolled and did my core stuff, felt great.

Time 40min

The swim session was meant to be 20 x 100 but had to cut it to 16 x 100, descending. I did descend but it was hard work. Time now to ease back a bit on the swim sessions.

Dist 2,300m

Thurs 25th Aug

Just a recovery run, it was meant to be 8k but again timing issues so it was only 5k. Nice and easy no watch-I enjoy these run session ;)

Time 22min
    Dist 5km

Fri Morn 26th Aug

More timing issues :mad: Gotta get back into hopping out of bed straight away!

I had to decide between a very easy swim session or a recovery session in the gym. Went for the gym work, stretching, rolling and core work.

Time 40min.

I was thinking of getting a massage next week after seeing this
    http://www.boardsdeals.ie/deal/30-instead-of-65-for-One-Hour-Deep-Tissue-or-Sports-Massage-at-Solo-Fitzwilliam-Square-Dublin-2/402/

Is it worth it??

• Advertisement

sarcasm ? :D I just cant believe they expect you to go back to work when you're on a taper. Its just ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I bought the sports massage myself. I actually got one last night i got in another recent deal. Last nights worked wonders for me, my legs were quite tight but not 1 ache in them now. Undecided if ill use that next week as i believe you would need to get it early in the week to allow the body to heal fully following it. I dont think ill need another but got it in case im stiff or sore after Sundays run

interested wrote: »
    sarcasm ? :D I just cant believe they expect you to go back to work when you're on a taper. Its just ridiculous.

I know-right? (in my best american accent) just incredible :pac:

Fri Eve 26th Aug

A short snappy brick session

Bike

An easy session that actually turned into me trying to beat the darkness that was falling. Just kept the cadence fresh and put in some efforts as I felt like it. A nice evening and enjoyable ride although legs still feel a bit heavy. I have planned complete days off next week, Sun, Wed and Fri so hopefully that will sort that out.

Time 0:46
    Dist 22km
    Speed 28.5km/hr
    Cad 90rpm
    HR no data

Run

A short run just concentrating on the first 2.5km of next weeks run i.e. short quick stride for 1-2km and then lengthening my stride a bit more until I am in my more natural running style.

Time 10:48
    Dist 2.5km
    Pace 4:20/km

It will be Monday before I get to post my race plan.

Sat Morn 27th Aug

A nice brick session on a nice morning, although chilly enough (pay heed Glaway 70.3er's). I had a wedding this day, my discipline was tested.

Bike

Plan was a 2 hour spin keeping the effort easy, going by feel as I had forgot my HR monitor. Basically Ballinasloe to Portumna and back, a nice route actually.

Time 2:00:52
    Dist 58.11km
    Speed 28.8km/hr
    Cad 83rpm

Run

A 15 minute run, again just practicing getting into my stride for the big day, short snappy cadence at first before easing into my normal stride.

Time 15min
    Dist 3.5km

So discipline was tested at the wedding. I drank all right, light beer from a bottle only with plenty of water so that was grand....but I ate like a savage and that continued on Sunday at Linda's home place-her mother is a savage cook and I couldn't help myself.

Friday morn brought a big smile to my face as for the first time that I can remember I saw 79.9kg, first time under 80 since frever :) Also BF % was 12%. However this morning 82.1kg, BF % 15.5% :mad:

During the week when I am in control of what I eat == no problem. The weekend when I am not in control == a problem. Already I've listed this as a limiter for mr this season. No point getting all fixated on it now and I know by Saturday I will be back down again.

Mon Morn 29th Aug

First of all a core, rolling and stretch session

Time 35min

Then an easy swim session in the NAC consisting of drills and an extended WU and CD.

Time 45min
    Dist 1,600m

Mon Eve 29th Aug

Brick Session

Bike

A 1.5hr ride, keeping it easy for the most part. Did 15k at TT effort. An annoying ticking noise developed over the weekend in my TT bike - something to do with the bottom bracket. It's in the shop now...not ideal 6 days out but better to get it checked as it would really annoy me on the day and it could develop into something more serious. Hadn't been on my god roadie in a while and it was a pleasure to ride it again :) I enjoyed letting rip a little on the TT bit, the legs are feeling like my own once again :)

Time 1:32:34
    Dist 40.5km
    Speed 28.7/51.5km/hr
    HR 112/163

Run

A 10min run straight off the bike, actually had to check it a bit as I going a bit too fast actually :o

Time 11:21
    Dist 2.57km
    Pace 4:25/km
    HR 142/162

Ok time to put down my plan for Sunday, there are 3 things I will concentrate on here:

1) Clothing
    2) Nutrition
    3) Pacey

1) Clothing

We are racing at 7am in the month of Sept in Galway. It will be cold that morning so I am planning for that...but hoping for the best. I will be wearing a one piece tri suit under my wet suit, along with calf compression and quad compression.

T1 - Blue Bag Swim to Bike

In this bag:

1. Arm warmers
    2. Gilet
    3. Race belt
    4. Socks
    5. Helmet
    6. Sun Glasses

Note: On the bike will be my gels, drinks, bike shoes and garmin.

T2 - Red Bag Bike to Run

In this bag:

1. Race belt with gels and biro*
    2. Sun visor
    3. Runners

Note I will be getting rid of gilet and arm warmers here.
    * The biro is because the button on my Garmin Forerunner 305 is worn away! I have to use a biro/something blunt to press the enter button which I will have to do when using the multisport function. A message appears when you are on the run and to get rid you have to press 'enter', I will ditch the biro then to shed the extra weight.

2) Nutrition

Race Morning

I will stick to my usual routine on race morning.

Up at 4am for breakie:
    Porridge with flaxseed/banana/manuka honey. Then coffee with two homemade slices of bread (brown) buttered.

At 5:50am:
    Two caffeine gels (Zipvit) with 500ml of High 5 Energy Source Xtreme (caffeine)

At 7:05am:
    An ordinary zipvit gel (51g carbs)

On The Bike

A high 5 iso gel every 20 min (22g carbs) except the last gel which will be a zipvit caffeine gel.

A banana at 30km feed station

750ml to be drank each hour, I will have water with a nuun tablet in two bottles on the bike. At the 30k feed station I will pick up the Gatorade and have that between the water/nuun bottles.

On The Run

A high 5 iso gel every 15min.

At the feed stations it will be water all the way and perhaps a flat coke on the final lap if needed.

3) Pacing

Swim

My swim will not differ from any olympic distance swim, basically keep the head down, 5/6 strong strokes, breathe, 5/6 strong stokes and try to get a good fast first 50/100m before settling into a nice strong rhythm.

Bike

I will be trying to keep it steady in zone 3 so:

HR Ave - 135
    Cad - c.85rpm

I will also use my RPE if I have too push more/back off a bit but I think this will work out fine.

Run

Again, steady zone 3 stuff:

HR Ave - 165rpm

I will use a short snappy cadence for the first 1/2k before lengthening my stride to my normal gait, so long as I can't spot my feet when I glance down then I am not over striding. I will concentrate on two things when running:

1. Holding my core firm
    2. Eyeing up lamp posts, bins, sign posts, people etc.. about 100m ahead.

These 2 things I have found in the last few weeks keep me focused while running.

I think thats it, I hope I haven't forgot anything, if I have I will spot it as I will be going over this each day until Saturday probably. I must say I am looking forward to it now, I feel ready and not anxious really...not yet anyway.

Please comment guys if you feel I've left anything out or you don't agree with.

I will be staying in my sister's apartment right on the prom :D I will bring my commuting bike too so it will be easy to get around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I will ditch the biro then to shed the extra weight.

Ha that made me laugh El D, why don't you carry another one in the other hand for a relaxed running stride.

Good luck on the weekend. Mrs C is off to Dublin for the weekend so I expect to have to a good days spectating and I will let out a few bloodcurdling shouts if I see you slacking on the run with Pgibbo and Ronanmac closing behind you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sounds like you're hitting form at the right time dude! Nice one! :cool:

I assume you're pre-race routine is tried and trusted at this stage so if it's not broken......

Don't hold the head too high on the run. Try to keep it in a neutral position and keep the eyes forward. Lifting the head too high can "put the brakes on".

Might see you before Sunday if you're about. Hope the bike noise is nothing serious. I know you'll put in a really good performance first time out at the distance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well thought out plan..would not expect anything less. The only comment i would make is on the gel every 15 minutes on the run, this sounds a bit excessive. I had one every 20 minutes or so and chased it with water during the IM run and found no dip in energy (although the legs were screwed:rolleyes:). Nothing much in it anyway over a HM, probably 4/5 gels as opposed to 6 dependant on your planned run time.
    Best of luck over the weekend and i hope you execute the perfect race especially with all the quality training and planning that has gone into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well thought out plan..would not expect anything less. The only comment i would make is on the gel every 15 minutes on the run, this sounds a bit excessive. I had one every 20 minutes or so and chased it with water during the IM run and found no dip in energy (although the legs were screwed:rolleyes:). Nothing much in it anyway over a HM, probably 4/5 gels as opposed to 6 dependant on your planned run time.
    Best of luck over the weekend and i hope you execute the perfect race especially with all the quality training and planning that has gone into it.

I take one every 20mins also on my long runs.

There was a thread a few weeks back on HIM nutrition. I know tunney kept it simple:

A gel 15 minutes before the off (may revise this after a book I am reading)
    then a gel every 30 minutes on the bike. No energy drink or bars
    Gel at mile 3,6,9 on the run with some water.

Have a look at El D's old log Jacky - I think he was taking 10+ gels for the Hell of the West alone - which sparked much debate about over doing them for an Olympic.

Didn't cause him any problems that day anyways - although I also may have just found a way to slim you down a bit El D ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

As I said out of band. Too much food. On the morning of and during. Far too much. Some can overeat and not suffer massively. Some will be fine. Some will be fine one time they do it and another time suffer.

Count up the calories in. Then look realistically at calories out. Then look at tje most a person can absorb in an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Agree with Tunney, overkill on the gels and food in general for HIM distance.

You will have a topped up circa 2000+ cals in your glycogen store. A 700-1k calorie breakfast 3 hour beforehand and you will only need to sip some carbs and plenty of water before swim start.

gel every 20 mins on the bike sounds fine then, you can also absorb these easily enough with lots of water. This will get you to the run fuelled. The gels on the run though are not as easily absorbed and 15 minute window therefore is too short. By your 3rd gel half way through the run you will run the risk of GI issues and bang goes your target as you fight with a stitch or worse for the last 10k.

Tops, at 79.9 ;)KG you will need 4k calories. At 79.9 too you will need every once of blood you can get in your legs and arms for the second half of the run. Blood rushing to your digestive system out of the energy system every 15 minutes for unfinished absorption jobs is risky too in that the oxygen is then limited and cramps can creep in.

Just some food for thought, excuse the pun :D

Woke this morning with what felt like the start of a cold :( and I know what it feel like at this stage. I went to do my pool session but as the day went on I began to realise that this is real, so not doing my planned run this evening and tomorrow is a rest day anyway. So plenty of vit c in the form of fresh fruit, boiling water with lemon juice and manuka honey - this usually takes care of things with 2 days with plenty of sleep.

Tues Morn 30th Aug

Did 1,000m easy enough and did some practice on starts as well. The 1000m done in 17:35 or so.

Time 1 hour
    Dist 2,000m

Thanks very much for the replies guys and to be honest I'm glad to hear ye think I'm over doing the gels-I don't like them. Thanks shotgun for the sciencey bit...because I race sprint/olympic only I haven't really gone into it in much detail. Also the articles I've read would have you believe that you will die without x grams of carbs per body weight. Anyway after a couple of e mails with Tunny (thanks) here is my revised plan (breakie stays the same, minus the two caffeine gels):

15 minutes before the off
    An ordinary zipvit gel (51g carbs)

On The Bike

A high 5 iso gel every 20 min (22g carbs), except the last gel which will be a zipvit caffeine gel.
    A banana at 30km feed station
    750ml to be drank each hour, I will have water with a nuun tablet in two bottles on the bike.
    However dialing this back a bit if the weather is cold.

T2

High 5 isogel

On The Run

High5 gel at miles 3,6,9
    At the feed stations it will be water all the way and perhaps a flat coke on the final lap if needed.

So happier with that now. Fingers crossed about the cold now.

Thankfully my counter attack on the on coming cold worked, getting good now at that ;) It's all about listening to the body and when you feel something coming on just stop for a day, 2 days max and hit the damn thing with vit c, mauka, lemon...hit it with everything! 2/3rd time I've been able to avert a cold/flu this year. That makes me very happy as I listed illness and injury as limiters last year and I've worked to prevent them :)

Rest days yesterday, did some rolling and stretching.

Thurs Morn 1st Sept

Did some core work, rolling and stretching and a light swim session consisting of drills and two sets of 4 x 100m off 2 min descending. My second set was my best ever paced descending set :) Funny wasn't expecting that, 1:48, 1:42, 1:38. 1:32.

Time 1:40
    Dist 1,600mts

Thurs Evening 1st Sept

Brick session, 1 hour bike and 10 min run. Felt giddy on the bike but just had to remain in control like I will on Sunday. Remain in control and then if I've anything left on the last lap of the run I will throw caution to the wind and empty the tank.

Bike

Dist 31.2km

Run

Time 10:56
    Dist 2.5k

Stepping on the scales today, it read weight 79.2kg and BF% 12.5 - perfect. I made an objective I really thought I wouln't. BUT I don't want anymore weight loss now at this stage - just maintain.

So another rest day tomorrow and hit for Galway. I actually have everything already ready! As the season has progressed I've got better with that side of things :) So I just have to load up the car wait for Linda to finish work and away we go.

So I just have to load up the car wait for Linda to finish work and away we go.

overloaded+car.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Best of luck dude - im sure you ll nail it

• Advertisement

Fri 2nd Sept

Headed to Galway after school, well 3 hours after as Linda got held up at work. We decided on the way home that we may as well stay in Linda's home place in Ballinasloe, it would be after 9 by the time I got to my sisters house in Galway. This way I get a good meal in and some chilling time before a 9:30 bed time.

Swim

I had a good sleep as I have had all week. I headed to Galway at 8am and registered as soon as I got there, only took 3 minutes! Then headed across the road to swim practice were I meet Bambaata. Didn't expect to do as much as I did but it was only 20 mins in all.

Time 20min
    Dist c.1,000m

I then did a short brick, out to Barna and back and an easy 2.5k with some pick ups. Garmin working fine at this stage :rolleyes:

Bike

Time 30min
    Dist 12km

Run

Time 12min
    Dist 2.5k

I then started to get very paranoid about not carring an spare tub, I couldn't stop thinking negative thoughts about getting punctures. I priced one there and then and that made my mind up-I couldn't afford it.

So after the briefing and a cup of tea with a mate I was back to my sister's apt in Salthill to relax and have my evening meal. I was in bed by 10 but did not sleep until nearly 2am :( Thankfully I had a great night sleep every night that week.

Sun 4th Sept - Race Day

I was up at 4am and had a pint of water over the next 30 min. I had my usual breakie and I headed for transition was in transition at 5:15am. It was still dark so I couldn't see the sea but it was very windy and would you believe just like Cope tri in June the wind direction completely changed, 90% of the time it's a westerly wind, today south east :rolleyes: Then I tried my garmin - it worked but the "enter" button I talked about previously would not function, water must have gotten in :( So I was going by feel. Then the announcement was made re a shortened swim, didn't bother me because I refuse to let things out of my control affect me on race morning-waste of energy. I just kept focused and stuck to my plan (which I had written out and had with me). So after a warm up it was into my wetsuit, so cosy :) Then met NeedsTraining who had a great race-well done to him. Dusty Bin out for a morning jog ran over to me to wish me luck-lovely to meet you dude and that was very nice of you, thanks.

Swim

With the shortened swim my wave was split into two, I missed the chance to get into the first wave so had to go in the second. I'd say there was perhaps 100 in the wave. I lined up right on the front line, on the front line on a beach at 7:30am ready for attack ;) I looked to my right and none other than Tom O'Dowd lined up beside me. Being on this beach, in these conditions and O'Dowd one side of me...I felt happy because my most memorable race this year was here were I got on the podium and O'Dowd won. He told me he wanted in on the first wave too, as it turned out all the good swimmers must have gotten into that one.

Off we went and headed straight out. It was a tough enough slog out to the first bouy. I found myself preferring bi-lateral breathing, I never race this way but...it was working. Keeping my head down under waves and before I knew it I was at the top of the group with a few others. After the first turn, left, we swam parallel to the shore. This was easier and I went back to breathing every second stroke. After the next left turn and back into the shore the only people ahead of me were a few from the previous wave. So I exited first asaik and I ran into transition. This is were I had my first cramp :confused: my left hamstring went into a ball, I could feel it and there was nothing I could do only stop and try and work it out with stretching, a member of the (unbelievable) crowd went to hop the fence and help but I had to explain the situation regarding outside assistance! Anyway finally got going but O'Dowd and co had long sprinted past me. :(

Time 18:58
    Split Pos 105/1500 (7%)

T1

Well like I said I was trying to work the cramp out so that delayed things.

Time 7:53
    Split Pos 680/1500 (45%)

Bike

Finally onto the bike and I was still trying to loosen up. I did before I got to Barna and started to feel good. I tried holding back, judging my pace, I was travelling well but it was difficult to judge my effort has I had a significant wind at my back-it felt easy. In Moycullen I heard a disc wheel, whir,whir,whir - "who the f...?" Matt Molloy of course, WOW. Going through Moycullen was electric, couldn't believe all that were out in 'that' and the noise they made. It made me smile :) It took me 63 approx to get to 40km. Soon after that we turned and I realised how strong the wind was. I got the clothing spot on except I could have done with gloves. At 60k I noticed I had to really concentrate when gear shifting as my fingers were freezing. I felt so sorry for the many men who littered the road side after crashes or punctures, how did they change the tyre with freezing hands! Thank god I got away with it, next time I will carry a spare-for peace of mind. For the last 25k my legs felt like they had had it. They were heavy and I was looking forward to the run so I could get some life into them again.

Time 2:45:39
    Split Pos 263/1500 (18%)

T2

Again cramp city :mad: got through it best I could.

Time 5:27
    Split Pos 422/1500 (28%)

Run

I knew on the bike I'd need a leak, but I just couldn't do it! Too posh to piss :D So first port of call on the run, a port-a-loo! Off I went then and actually would you believe felt great! The sun was out now and the crowds were so supportive, this really helped. I tried to keep track of my pacing but I knew I was in trouble as I went through 10k in 40 min or so :eek: Up to this I followed my nutrition to a tee but at 15k on the run I was to take my final gel...I didn't, my stomach didn't feel good but I should have taken it. At 14k I began to struggle and my last 3k took me 20 mins appox! Finally the finish line was in sight and I was over joyed just to see it. High 5's to the kids, there must have been 2/300 people there when I finished! Great buzz!

Time 1:43:15
    Split Pos 189/1500 (13%)

Post Race

I crashed. I lined myself up for a massage but had to lie down, rolling along when the Q moved forward. I swear I nearly drifted into unconsciousness, then remembered I packed my post race drink. I found some water, mixed it and drank. 5 mins later I felt the life come back into me. Had a good chat with PGibbo while waiting for my rub down.

I just so happened to get the best two looking girls in Galway to rub me down (think PGibbo was next in line for that treat too ;)) One of the girls commented on my very weak calves (but great quads ;)) She is about the fourth physio to make this comment - I have worked on it but not since probably March. So I HAVE to build them up, to avoid injury and ensure I last in endurance events.

My Thoughts

I think my head/heart wasn't in this race. Much as I enjoyed the whole event I think I was already wishing winter training upon me. Why? Because I knew already what needs to be worked on and I'm looking forward to doing just that. But this race brought back to my mind an old limiter that obviously still affects me, namely muscular endurance (especially calfs and hamstrings). At least it is something I can work on, more and longer long bikes and long runs would be a start as well as some weight training and maintenance over the summer, these should help.

You see weeks ago I worked out a 5 year plan, actually a couple of weeks after Pontevedra. I am anxious to get cracking on that plan and I am very focused on the first goals of it. So I was a bit distracted I think. Really I shouldn't have done those 3 races at the end of July/beginning of Aug - instead I should have done more long bricks.

Overall a decent first attempt at the distance and I was very tempted straight after the race to make a "HOTW like vow" to come back and take x mins off my time but....as I said I'm focused on something else now.

The event was very well run and thanks to all involved. A great after party too and great to meet so many from here. Thanks to everybody on here for the good wishes and advice and to those texting and e mailing me as well. Such great help and an invaluable resource that money could not buy.

Advertisement