Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim, Bike, Run....if only it was that simple!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Tues Morn 18th Oct

Plan Weakness/Core/Rolling
    Actual Weakness/Core/Rolling

Time 55min

Tues Eve 18th Oct

Plan BG Turbo Session
    Actual BG Turbo Session

As I said after the last BG session I popped the slope up one to +8, kept cadence between 50 and 55, HR higher for that work due to the extra resistance. Loving these sessions, great bang for you buck.

HR 134/163 (BG HR 152/150/147); CAD 75/141; WATT 206/571;

Time 48 min
    Dist 21.3km

Weds Morn 19th Oct

Plan Coach prescribed session NAC LC
    Actual Coach prescribed session NAC LC

A mix of drills, fast 50's and stead buoy + band work.The 50's fast came in on 45, 45, 46. This drill really shows me the importance of a good catch phase. The B + B was mad! A great strength drill and hammers home the importance of a streamlined position. Basically you tie your ankles together with a simple inner tube and a pull buoy between the legs. The legs where dragging and I was trying to over power that with my arms. I engaged my core more to stop the "snaking".

Time 55min
    Dist 2,000m

Weds Eve 19th Oct

Plan 30 min easy run with 5x 30s build/30s rec
    Actual 30 min easy run with 5x 30s build/30s rec

Achilles fine today, I reintroduced my compression socks to my run and even doubled it with calf guards so this really helped. I'll do this for all runs going forward while I build my calf muscles up. I hope this means I can up the running volume very soon. As I said earlier this week I will make a call on Sunday re physio.

HR 146/172; PACE 4:34/km; CAD 81spm

Dist 6.9km
    Time 31:30

Thurs Morn 20th Oct

Plan Core/Weakness/Rolling
    Actual Core/Weakness/Rolling

Time 55 min

• Advertisement

Thurs Eve 20th Oct

Plan 60 min easy spinning rpm >90
    Actually 60 min easy spinning rpm >90

Spinning away - felt easier this week, didn't feel as long.

HR 116/135; CAD 92; WATT 180

Time 60 min
    Dist 26.1km

Fri Morn 21th Oct

Plan Club Swim Session
    Actual Club Swim Session

A lot of kicking in this mornings session, I am keeping up the the young folk on these which does confidence good. The main set was 800 x4 with paddles+pull as in 800sw, 600sw+200bc,400sw+400bc,600sw+200bc. As my bc is pure cack I just did sw for the 3rd and 4th set (only got 600 done on as I had to get out) Felt great though doing these 800's. My longest session ever :)

Dist 4,400m :)
    Time 1:40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Are you sure you are not doing an IM this year:rolleyes: thats a big old swim session right there, well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Are you sure you are not doing an IM this year:rolleyes: thats a big old swim session right there, well done

Massive massive session. Puts my 9k in 4 sessions this week to shame....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

All will be revealed in the new log ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

+1 my longest swim for the whole of the last IM programme was a 4.2k set. Whats the story El D?!

Well guys. Nothing gives, nothing to be read into here at all:) I am really enjoying swimming at the moment and I can get out of the pool whenever I want but I just kept going this morning as I kinda enjoy paddle/pull work, probably because I get to swim fast :D I don't think there's any harm in the 10,000m swim week and if there is I'll be told to rein it back a bit ;) as I said I can get out whenever I want, but right now...just really enjoying the water stuff right now :)

Fri Evening 21st Oct

Plan/B] 40 min with 5 min build and 5x1min mod/hard
    Actual 40 min with 5 min build and 5x1min mod/hard

Due to my lunch, a nice salad but a little too much olive oil + Udo's oil. However once I got going - no sign of achilles thank god, compress gear working a treat! I decided to using my zones from during the summer and create the workout in Garmin Connect. Love this new feature - it was crap in Garmin Training centre. Anyway decided to set the steady for zone 3 and lower zone 4 for the mod/hard. My first of this type of session in a while and I really enjoyed it.

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/123278273#

Time 40:14
    Dist 8.5km

Sat 22nd Oct

Plan 2.5hrs Easy Spin but working the hills
    Actual 2.5hrs Easy Spin but working the hills

A day from hell out there! I kept waiting to see if it would clear but it was getting worse and worse! So at 2pm I set off....and had a great time in the saddle. I must start bringing home my trainer just to have as an option (if it even is an option...email to coach to clarify :))

I miss judged the loop hence the extra 17min. Easy spin but working hard on the hills. Sometimes in the saddle keeping a big gear sometimes out of the saddle. I noted that as the spin went on my right achilles got sore but it only affected me when out of the saddle and when I put my body weight on it. So I will just have to be careful for a while, stronger hammers and in particular calfs would definitely make a difference. I hope by April and working on the calfs/hammers that this problem will be a thing of the past. The sun actually made an appearance for the last 50 mins or so :)

I used 750ml of high5 zero and 100ml water, one Kinetica gel. A big well done to Kinetica for producing lovely tasting gels, they are incredible!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/123465406

Time 2:47
    Dist 75.5km

HR 125/160; SPEED 27.2/49.3/km; CAD 79

Sun 23rd Oct

Plan Easy 1:15 Run
    Actually Easy 1:15 Run

Met with a mate from home, he has a date with destiny next Monday - his first marathon and attempting 3:10. After yesterdays heroics :rolleyes: achilles was sore after, also I ate crap late last night :( So feeling sluggish and a bit sore I started off very easy. After 45 min I felt better and finished stronger. With no bike or run tomorrow that should give me enough for the achilles to recover. I now know how to manage this niggle until I strengthen calfs/hamstrings.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/123637444

HR 136/156; PACE 4:56/KM; CAD 79

Time 1:15
    Dist 15:28km

Prep Week 3 Summary

17 Oct-23 Oct|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|15|14:38:51|173.03
    Swimming|3|04:05|10.15
    Cycling|3|04:35|122.89
    Running|4|03:08|39.99
    Strenth/Core|5|02:50|N/A

Weight Watch I am moving this to a Monday weigh in at 18:00 - 18:30. I also feel I need to tighten up a bit. It's too early to be trying to hit my peak performance weight which will be less than 75kg - by how much, I won't know until I hit it. However I do feel I need a target/aim so I am going to aim to be less than 78kg by end of Nov and keep it there then until the Spring. So this week I will try to document my DQS.

Last Week 79.9kg
    This Week

Missed Sessions Watch

This Week 0/15
    Altogether This Block 3
    Overall 3

Here is a chart tracking my aerobic progress. It's a simple output/input ratio, basically speed(not pace) divided by ave heart rate over my long easy runs. This dates back to July 12th, interesting to note that I am now aerobically fitter now than I was then. A general upward trend is what you want to see here over the base period.

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=10949

So that's the end of the 3 week prep phase but coach has decided it would be better to extend by one more week of it. Thats cool, probably for the best, hopefully I will be more confident on the achilles this day week, I actually am already a bit more confident with it. I am delighted with the consistency. 15 out of 15 morning sessions made, missing no swimming sessions and 2 out of the 3 missed were weakness and rolling session. This is what I wanted, what I strive for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good work chief.

Mon Morn 24th Oct

Plan Club Swim Session
    Actual Club Swim Session

A kick session from hell! Part of the session was a kick game - two people holding a k board kicking against each other, good fun and 15sec of all out kicking for your life! Then it was 2x 200 as 50 fly k, 50bc k, 50brst k, 50fs k. Doing fly kick on your back is just horrible, plain and simple. I felt like I was water boarding myself! I know fly kick is good as it teaches you kicking from the hips but water boarding is no fun....ask the prisoners of guantanamo bay...or me.

Dist 1550
    Time 1:05

So my weekly weigh in

Last Week 79.9kg (12.1% BF)
    This Week 79.4kg (11.4% BF)

Weight Target: Less than 78 before the end of Nov
    BF Target: Less than 10% before the end of Nov

DQS Today 14

First time I have calculated this, 29 is the best score one can get and the higher the better.

Tracking My Weight Graphically

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=10957

I didn't enter anything for the winter of 2010/spring 2011, believe me it was not a downward trend if I had. I just didn't make any entry during that time so the programme joined the dots, therefore my 89kg+ (Jan 2011) does not show up here :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Part of the session was a kick game - two people holding a k board kicking against each other, good fun and 15sec of all out kicking for your life!

Interested had us doing this one at the end of last nights session. Good craic alright, and always nice to do something different every so often.

Keep up the good work El D.

Tues Eve 25th Oct

Plan Run Club Session
    Actual Run Club Session

Felt really good tonight, group split into two for the 800's, I was in the second group and to my surprise I was towards the top of it. Enjoyable session and it's always a good sign when you are enjoying your running (or whatever sport for that matter) imo.

WU 13.5 min

5x strides;

6x 840(ish)m with 90 sec recovery - Times 2:53/2:56/2:58/2:54/2:58/2:55;
    HR's 166/170/171/175/174/176;
    CAD 83-87 (except for my first one the fastest, which was 76rpm :confused:);

CD15min

Dist 11.6km
    Time 54 min

Todays DQS

Up ten points to 24 :) and I found it pretty easy!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good work on the DQS - that's discipline. Took the book out again after reading about it in JB's log. I'd never make it to 29 with them docking points for full fat dairy.

• Advertisement

Good work on the DQS - that's discipline. Took the book out again after reading about it in JB's log. I'd never make it to 29 with them docking points for full fat dairy.

Why not try semi-skimmed RQ? Since I made the switch I'd have nothing else! This coming from a farm boy who grow up on milk straight from the cow (chilled) mmm loved it.

Last nights 840m reps.....

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/124381840

Forgot what I did yesterday....

Tues Afternoon 25th Oct

Plan Weakness/Core
    Actual Weakness/Core

After an alarm malfunction Tues morn I was lucky enough to have time that afternoon to get the session in

Time 40 mins

Weds Morn 26th Oct

Plan Coach Prescribed NAC LC Session
    Actual Coach Prescribed NAC LC Session

Some sculling, kicking, fist drill and 100's pull steady which were coming in between 1:47 - 1:50. A lot more action in the NAC this morning, there is a GB team training there, swimming + running and a few more tri heads making their off season starts.

Time 1hr
    Dist 2,300m

Weds Eve 26th Oct

Plan Turbo - BG Work
    Actual Turbo - BG Work

The BG stuff was s couple of %'s tougher than the last two weeks but I didn't fall off completely, kept strong to the end. So, four weeks in and I still love my turbo! What a great way to spend the guts of an hour...like the running - it's a good sign that I'm enjoying my bike sessions....come to think of it I am loving all disciplines at the moment, first time ever

HR 129(BG HR 150/147/147/150); CAD 73/159; WATT 208/591

Time 50min
    Dist 22.3km

Todays DQS

Down one point to 23

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Why not try semi-skimmed RQ? Since I made the switch I'd have nothing else! This coming from a farm boy who grow up on milk straight from the cow (chilled) mmm loved it.

I don't actually drink milk - makes me sick, I take soya milk. I have plenty of full fat yoghurt though. Yoghurt is actually the only 'dairy' I take unless he puts eggs under the dairy banner?

Must pick the book up again, been really lazy with reading lately. Does he go into why he'd choose low fat dairy over full fat? Dairy doesn't have much fat anyway so I don't understand why a lot of athletes plans advocate picking the low fat version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Not a fan of low fat myself as it usually means they have loaded it with sugar. Besides, I believe the fats contained in dairy products are "good" fats and are far better for you than the low fat varieties which can cause insulin spikes.

The only dairy I tend to take is good old Kerry Gold butter. Can't beat it! :cool:

@RQ He doesn't go into the why, all I know it's all I'll drink now. See below for todays DQS :rolleyes:

Another alarm malfunction, the second this week! Luckily it wasn't a swim session. I did my bit of weakness and rolling later in the day instead.

Weds 27th Oct

Plan Easy 45 min run
    Actual Easy 44:14 run

Due to an unusual lunch today I was left feeling heavy and stuffed so left the run until later than usual. For the first time in a long time my achilles didn't even register in my mind, happy days. An enjoyable late evening run.

HR 132/146; CAD 79; PACE 04:50/KM

Dist 9.15km
    Time 44:14

As I said above this was followed by some work on weakness and some rolling.

Time 20min

Todays DQS

Down 11 points to 12 :rolleyes: An unusual lunch and unexpected lead to this dismal score...but then again looking at MCOS's I feel a bit better :pac:

Fri Morning 28th Oct

Plan Club Swim Session
    Actual Club Swim Session

After a late night of correcting I arrived late to training and had to leave a little earlier to continue correcting. Still a decent set and a low volume swim week maybe not a bad idea this week. The main set was 12 x 100m off 2:10 coming in on ave 1:50. There was some vertical kicking too, goof for the hip flexors.

Time 1hr
    Dist 2,250m

Fri Eve 28th Oct

Plan Easy Spin, Target of >90 Cad
    Actual Easy Spin, Target of >90 Cad

A nice session for the legs. Tues night 800,s and Weds BG work were still there to be felt so this was perfect for recovery. I still find the hour goes slowly, put contstant spinning is bringing my technique on.

CAD 93

Time 60min
    Dist 26.7km

Sat Morn 29th Oct

Plan 2.5 hrs, Riding Easy
    Actual 2.5 hrs, Riding Easy

Simple out and back, didn't think I'd get as far as Trim but I did, I was cruising along. You'd imagine that by now I'd have the cop on to know I had the wind at my back - head wind all the way back made it tough going but I enjoyed the cycle. The road surface to Trim is excellent, no major hills but loads of drags.

HR 116/145; CAD 84; SPEED 26.8/km

Time 2:37
    Dist 68.59km

Sunday 30th Oct

Plan LER
    Actual LER

A really enjoyable, spooky halloween run late this evening. Love discovery, exploratory runs. This evening it was from Linda's home place, first head torch run. Down a lonely, misty bog/forest road - very errie altogether. Loved it though, love running in the country, you can't buy that kind of pace and quiet.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/124946735

HR 139/158; CAD 79; PACE 4:47/km

Time 1:20
    Dist 16:75km

Prep Week 4 Summary

24 Oct-30 Oct|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|11|11:20:37|161.19
    Swimming|3|03:05|6.1
    Cycling|3|04:27:23|117.59
    Running|3|02:58:14|37.5
    Strenth/Core|2|00:50|N/A

Missed Sessions Watch

This Week 3/11
    Altogether This Block 6
    Overall 6

Missed 3 weakness/rolling sessions this week - annoying as it really skews the numbers. Out of those 6 missed sessions, 5 have been a weakness/rolling session. I'm going to make a better effort to fit them in starting this week.

Here is a chart tracking my aerobic progress. It's a simple output/input ratio, basically speed(not pace) divided by ave heart rate over my long easy runs. A general upward trend is what you want to see here over the base period.

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=11064

A testing week ahead of me this week, literally. Starting with this evenings T30 FTP test on the turbo, looking forward to see where I stand.

Monday Eve 31st Oct

Plan 30 min TT Turbo
    Actual 30 min TT Turbo

After a WU which included some BG work I got straight into the TT. This was actually my 3rd of these tests this year so here were the results of the other two first:

Mon 7th Feb 2011

30 min test CALIB to '0'; Slope set to '+1'

Watt Ave 299
    Cad Ave 98
    HR Ave 159
    Speed Ave 40km/h
    Dist 20km

Tues 26th July

Watt Ave 306
    Cad Ave 90
    HR Ave 158
    Speed Ave 41km/h
    Dist 20.6km

And yesterday's...

Mon 31st Oct

Watt Ave 327
    Cad Ave 91
    HR Ave 143 (149 for last 20min)
    Speed Ave 44km/h
    Dist 22km

That represents a huge improvement really, the BG work seems to have brought me on quiet a bit already! I paced it very well I think, the last 5 min I was able to pick it up and was averaging 355 WATTS about. I think I actually had a little bit more in me but I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't fade. The watts are of course questionable but I'm sure they will do for training purposes so long as I keep it calibrated.

O/A Time 60min
    O/A Dist 34.2km

At the beginning of the year, when I was just plucking numbers from the clouds :rolleyes: I looked for an improvement of 15% in my 30 min TT WATTS before Galway 70.3, then I did no big gear work :rolleyes: Well I'm at 9.36% now :)

Tues Morn 1st Nov

Plan 45min Recovery Spin
    Actual 45min Recovery Spin

An early morning recovery turbo, would like to have had a higher cadence but with people in bed I couldn't really spin any faster. Legs feel grand this morning.

WATT 131/170; CAD 93/104

Time 45 min
    Dist 16km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Excellent improvement El D well done. What stands out though is your average HR for the test :confused: seems low, especially for that last 5 min push at 355? I had a 50 min version of that session this weekend and my HR was practically at max at the end.

• Advertisement

Excellent improvement El D well done. What stands out though is your average HR for the test :confused: seems low, especially for that last 5 min push at 355? I had a 50 min version of that session this weekend and my HR was practically at max at the end.

Ya I am totally perplexed by my low HR, actually always have been when it came to the bike but the last few weeks has been particularly confusing. My legs tell a different story from my HR though. I know I'm not the only person who finds it difficult to raise HR while on the bike, hills and BG work of course do the trick. Maybe it's my HR strap-I know lots of people find Garmin HR monitors' crap.

Advertisement