Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim, Bike, Run....if only it was that simple!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I hadn't eaten since breakie which was about 7 hours earlier...just didn't feel like eating :rolleyes:

You're taking this weight loss thing a little too far! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »
    You're taking this weight loss thing a little too far! :D

Not much point in training if you aren't going to eat to fuel it, or recovery from it. Weight loss should be a gradual thing over months not weeks.

Combining both will lead to injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

tunney wrote: »
    Not much point in training if you aren't going to eat to fuel it, or recovery from it. Weight loss should be a gradual thing over months not weeks.

Combining both will lead to injuries.

Ya this was a genuine over sight, I litterally just didn't feel like eating and therefore didn't. Anyway lesson learned (still paying for it).

Mon Morn 28th Nov

Plan Weakness/Roll
    Actual Weakness/Roll

Time 20min

Plan NAC LC Swim
    Actual NAC LC Swim

Really enjoying my swimming at the moment, probably more than anything else I must say. Getting fed up of these two middle aged jokers that keep getting into my lane, of course well entitled, decent swimmers but I think they think it's some sort of competition due to their smart comments. Anymore getting into the lane with the Lynch dou, no messing with them.

Time 1:05
    Dist 2,400m

Mon Eve 28th Nov

Plan 30 min easy run
    Actual 30 min easy run

Legs feeling a little heavy by the end of this. I guess I'm just not recovering quickly from the weekend session. I feel I have enough protein in my diet but perhaps the damage was done on Sat turbo where I didn't feul properly for it. I didn't have this issue last year but then again I ate plenty of carbs :) So a middle ground must be stuck, I have now reached my sub 78kg target before the end of Nov so I will look to maintain this weight until say March/April where I will then make another push to get it to 75/76kg for my first A race. Or perhaps just keep it going but very gradually over the next 6/7 months, we'll see. I must also keep an eye on muscle mass and make sure I'm not loosing much lean musle.

HR 143; PACE 4:39km/hr; CAD 81 spm

Time 29:54
    Dist 6.1km

Will definetly get a summary of the last two weeks up tonight or tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Y
    Legs feeling a little heavy by the end of this. I guess I'm just not recovering quickly from the weekend session. I feel I have enough protein in my diet but perhaps the damage was done on Sat turbo where I didn't feul properly for it. I didn't have this issue last year but then again I ate plenty of carbs :) So a middle ground must be stuck, I have now reached my sub 78kg target before the end of Nov so I will look to maintain this weight until say March/April where I will then make another push to get it to 75/76kg for my first A race. Or perhaps just keep it going but very gradually over the next 6/7 months, we'll see. I must also keep an eye on muscle mass and make sure I'm not loosing much lean musle.

No pushes :) Gradual and continual would be my approach.

I'd reduce portion size a little and rather than going all out in March/April and comprising training and your immune system further have small but constant changes make small but cumulatively large impacts on your weight.

Personally I am aiming to shift 21 lbs to get back to a reasonable weight by next summer 0.75lbs average a week will get me there without huge risks to health, injury, or training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Bambaata

yeah i wouldnt recommend holding then dipping. Best bet is continue to eat healthily and avoid binges and large plates! It sounds like you may have been running at a slightly more than required kcal deficit for a while. That'll have impacts if its not put in check so you could probably do with just planning the meals better, i.e. structure the training with it all in mind

Heres me talking! Im eating for the two of us El D. How about we strike a shared goal. 5kg lost, you lose 8 and ill put on 3 ;-)

• Advertisement

@Tunney very sound advice dude and I will take it on board. Especially the smaller portions. Sure it's no wonder I would eat anything and everything after a long run or cycle! And any amount! I just went too far the other way but I realise that now.

So with all that in mind I will proceed with caution and hopefully someday realise my ideal performance weight.

@Bambatta Thanks for the sound advice dude, you are right re the kcal def I'd say. Today with my salad I had a multi seed bagel with the BG session later in mind ;)

Me lose another 8kg! Linda will leave me, I'd literally be half the man she first met! :pac:

But I'm glad to at least be lighter now. In Jan I was 89kg :rolleyes: crazy stuff, now 77.5kg... Same as MCOS and bambatta :)

It was hard work and I shouldn't be too hard on myself as that is a significant reduction. Now just to manage the rest of it properly from what has been pointed out to me and what I've learned by my mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

We should all start a tri weight watchers group:)
    Fair play on the weight loss ElD it does not come easy but if you keep at it over time it comes off. It does go back on very quick though as i noticed when i took 3 weeks out at the end of the season and ate crap:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

It does go back on very quick though as i noticed when i took 3 weeks out at the end of the season and ate crap:rolleyes:

What you went from 65 to 67kg or something :rolleyes: Go away out of it

+1 on what the lads are eluding to El D.. gradually does it mate

Page 129 of 'Racing Weight'...

Possible Warning Signs Of Inadequate Macronutrient Intake

Carbs:

Poor performance in workouts
    Slow recovery from workouts
    Slower than expected fitness gains
    Persistent fatigue
    Difficulty losing excess body fat
    Burnout/loss of motivation to train
    Frequent illness

I have experienced all of the above in some shape or form in the last 2/3 weeks, except the last point, which I guess would have came eventually had I not checked what was happening.

Now it is possible that these signs could be from a lack of protein or fats but I am pretty sure it was the carb intake.

This tri business is a lot of trial and error and now I can extend that to the nutrition side of things. Speaking of which I will be racing at the weekend and I have a couple of road races and duathlons before the beginning of the tri season, in these I will be trying different pacing/nutritional strat's and I've always been open to new and different ways of racing. Just thought I'd mention it because I think trial and error has it's part to play in the learning process and also because of the fact that I am looking forward to the experiments :)

JB you are so right re putting the weight back on. Oct, Nov and Dec 2010 - did little or no training == a gain of 9KG :( 3kg per month :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

thought I'd mention it because I think trial and error has it's part to play in the learning process and also because of the fact that I am looking forward to the experiments smile.gif

I think you are spot on there. What works for one person may not work for everyone else. The important part is that you are able to tell if something you are doing is having a negative consequence for you. You seem well able in that regard and are taking advice on board.

Just one question (and apologies if you've mentioned it elsewhere). Why the cut down in carbs? Is it recommended in the racing weight book? Isn't weight loss as simple as ensuring more energy is being used than you are putting in and due to that it doesn't matter what food type you get the energy from?

I've probably just opened a can of worms there but I mean within reason as long as you are eating healthy does it make a big difference?

• Advertisement

What you went from 65 to 67kg or something :rolleyes: Go away out of it

+1 on what the lads are eluding to El D.. gradually does it mate

Up to 70kg which given my weight felt substantial enough at the time:p I have pulled 2kg of it back over the last 8 weeks but its hard work:o. Gone are the days when i was a little pudgy fecker at near 90kg and only 5ft 7 :D

Tues Eve 29th Nov

Plan BG Turbo Session
    Actual BG Turbo Session

Well I ate appropriately today with this session in mind :) I really don't have to tweak too much. Breakie is spot on, lunch is now usually a salad but today I bought some multiseed bagels, simples. So salad, with the bagel-some of the salad in the bagel == yum. Then just before what is the toughest session of the week I popped a zipvit gel (60g carbs). And guess what? It made all the difference. I was not looking forward to this after putting myself in jeopardy at the weekend, I felt I may not yet be recovered. But actually I ate this session up and loved it! Really got into the BG stuff and it has confirmed my belief that I was lacking in carbs. Been a week or so I think since I enjoyed a non-swim session so much :)

HR 122 (BG HR - 134/135/135/134/135/135); CAD 67; WATT 203;

Dist 26.5km
    Time 1:05

@couerdelion Hey dude. Why cut out the carbs? I don't know why. I didn't read it anywhere, I didn't do it consciously either! I'm not sure how it happened tbh. But thanks to my coach who asked me to keep a food diary (still to mail it to him :o) I looked back and it was so obvious to me!

I do think however it is important what food type you get your energy from. There are the 3 macronutrient carbs, fats, and carbs. But when it comes to fats you want to avoid too much saturated fat and when it comes to carbs I think it's the timing of the different types of carbs that is important. Generally I stick to carbs low in sugar whole meal/whole grain pasta's, breads, rice and also veg and fruits. However after a session it really doesn't matter what type of carbs you get in along with some protein so potato, white rice/pasta/bread etc.. I personally love a baked potato with beans and cheese. Now like I've been saying recently I have forsaken those things.

I'm just basing the above comments on the Racing Weight book and other internet articles. There are others here that might want to highlight other things but thats as simple as I can put it, hope it makes sense :)

Weds Morn 30th Nov

Plan Club Swim Session
    Actual Club Swim Session

So we had 5x 300m off 5:45 coming in on ave 5:35. 16 x 50 k, as in 4 sets of 4 off 1:15 with 1 min break between each set. The first ones I was just about making but then I stretched the groins and I felt more flexible and that made a big difference. The last 3 sets I was coming in on 1:05. Then it was Paddles and Pull 4x 300 off 5:45 they came in on 5:25 and the last one 5:20. A sesion you could get your teeth into :)

Dist 3,500m
    Time 1:35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

A sesion you could get your teeth into

+1

Nice set El D

Weds Eve 30th Nov

Plan 40 Min as in Easy, Steady, Easy
    Actual 41 Min as in Easy, Steady, Easy

Legs felt a bit heavy again today, probably after the BG session yesterday and the accumulation of nearly 3 weeks of my first Base Phase. Still enjoyable.

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=11357

Dist 8.93
    Time 41:25

Thurs Morn 1st Dec

Plan 60 min Easy Turbo >90rpm
    Actual 60 min Easy Turbo >90rpm

An early morning one as I had a PT meeting after school and then diner at my aunts that evening. No TV as I didn't want ditrurbing the house and it was grand, iPod in and off I went, really enjoyed it. Nice to spin the legs out.

HR 123; CAD 91; WATT 194

Time 60min
    Dist 28km

Fri Morn 2nd Dec

Plan NAC LC Coach Prescribed
    Actual NAC LC Coach Prescribed

Still loving the sculling and the fist drills especially when you go into full stroke, it emphasises how powerful good tech can be. 9x 50m B&B - On the 7th B&B I think I cracked it! I really pushed down on my chest and all of a sudden it was easier! It actually felt like what running downhill feels like. Arms were turning over at a quicker rate but it was easy! I must build this into my full FS stroke more. 3x 50 fast - The fast 50's were 45sec flat. Steady 100 was 1:45.

Time 60min
    Dist 2,150m

At the beginning of the week I was thinking that this Sat race may be a waste of time/money as the legs were shot from doing sessions and not properly feuled. Thank god I got that sorted and haven't had a tough session since Tues. Legs feel better now, I'm feuling apropriately ie keeping in mind what session I have that day when preparing my food. So feeling a bit more confident about tomorrow's race :)

Rose tinted glasses 24 hours later on the turbo session or just not grumpy any more? :D

Best of luck tomorrow. Leave it all out there and nail a PB. :cool:

Rose tinted glasses 24 hours later on the turbo session or just not grumpy any more? :D

Best of luck tomorrow. Leave it all out there and nail a PB. :cool:

LOL, ah I was just tweeting for the sake of it as I'd like to use twitter more! I love my turbo...always :)

Cheers.

Fri Eve 2nd Dec

Plan 30 min easy/Build/5k Pace/Easy
    Actual 30 min easy/Build/5k Pace/Easy

Really winters night but enjoyed the run. The 5x 1 5k efforts were at 3:40/33:25/3:42/3:39/3:42/km The second one was slightly down hill. I have noticed that my cadence increases the faster I go, no surprise there I know but I think tomorrow I'll try to keep the cad nice and fresh. So here's to tomorrow, actually feeling excited about it :) looking forward to meeting a few mates, know a good few doing this one.

Time 30:33
    Dist 6.61km

• Advertisement

Jesus over the last few weeks it's been really difficult to keep this log going! Anyway here we go with my report:

Sat 3rd Dec

Plan 5km Race
    Actual 5km Race

Had a whole report written up...you know the rest :mad:

Anyway here I go again.

Woke up at 7:45, had, what I thought was my usual pre-race breakie, but it wasn't. It has been 3 months now since my last race so I guess I was out of touch. I left the house to pick my number up at 9:30, still feeling very full but it's grand I thought, I'll get my usual urge to visit the porto-loo about 20 min before the off and that will sort me out. Never happened-try as I might.
    My WU consisted of about 3k easy jog from the club house to the start, some strides and heel flicks and knees ups.

Just before the off I met up with Jackyback and Bambatta, they were all set. So there I was feeling fat but ready to go.

After a discussion during the week with my coach I decided to go with his strategy. Basically go out for the first km at a pace I thought would be my 5k pace, then at 1k decide if I can keep it up or go faster, adjust the pace accordingly and then for the last km just lift it and give it everything. However, I would have two limiters governing me, as my pacing lately is all over the place. Namely (a) do not go faster than 3:30/km or (b) do not let the HR rise above 183.

So with the alerts set on my garmin we were off. The first km was tough in the sense that I wanted to go faster but my garmin was yelling at me to slow down. Difficult when you see club mates (and Bambatta) belt off, especially guys you know you should defo be beating. But I had to trust the strategy. The first km came in bang on 3:30, I decided I couldn't hold this pace so I backed off a bit.

The second km was into a head wind and I was on my own more or less so decided to put in an effort to catch the group ahead. I did that and tucked in with them. At this point I was reeling in those who had gone off way too fast (Bambatta was not one of them :)) KM two came in on 3:45. Slow enough but not time to panic.

KM 3 and 4 I upped the effort a bit, at this stage I had settled into a battle with a strong, determined lady who I just could not shake. 3 and 4 were both exactly the same at 3:41.

Then the last km which was 600m of downhill and 400m of flat finish. So I let go and ignored any alerts, at the=is stage I still had no high HR alert. I was beginning to fade just at the bottom of the hill when that lady came back into contention. That along with the worry that JB was on my shoulder somewhere made me dig deep and kick. I had a kick thank god and made it in just in front of the battling lady. The last km was 3:27.

So a chip time of 18:14 NEW PB. :) My watch said 18:18 but I forgot to stop it. I was doubled over after and I met Bambatta after his savage performance. We then both met JB who was equally feeling the pain. Well done to both on PB's.

HR 176/183; PACE 3:37/km CAD Forgot to swap sensor over :mad:

more details here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/132803904

Time 1hr
    Dist (total) 10.5km

Any the breakie f up. I usually have porridge (honey/UNO/seeds) 2 slices of homemade brown bread with tea and some whey (usually after my morning session. During race season I wasn't having Whey on race morning and yesterday instead of h/m brown bread I had to settle for a bagel. Anyway all this said I had way to much and will know for again for sure-it was crazy for 18 minutes of hard work :rolleyes:

Sunday

Plan 2.5hr Easy Spin
    Actual 1hr Easy Spin

After sleeping in I was playing catch up all day. Only reason I got anything done was because I wasn't up early on Monday as coach saw fit to give me a day off. So 10:15pm on the turbo for an hour - better than nothing.

Time 1hr
    Dist 27.8km

Base 1 Week 4 (Recovery)

Monday 5th Dec

Day off :) Which was great as I got other things taken care of.

Went to school today with a bounce in my step, delighted with my weekend PB. 26 sec off my old one which was only 6 months ago. I have another 5k (flat) on Paddy's weekend and sub 18 has to be the target.

Before that a 8k in Tuam, again flat, so one of the targets I've always wanted was a sub 30 8k....we'll see how the christmas period goes but I must say this weekend's PB has given me confidence and motivation.

Only 8 weeks with the coach and already significant swim and run improvements :) Thanks Coach!

This weekend coming se's the first of the festivities...thank god I haven't been out in weeks!

Well done El D good hard running! Scorcher out of Bambatta there too. Boards lot putting it down for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Well done El D. That pacing seems pretty much bang on. I was very similar, fast opening KM (03:20) slow into the wind (03:40), then like you two equal kms at 3 (03:33) and 4 (03:33) with a lift for the last part (03:17) - My garmin clocked 5.05km with last sprint being 2:40 pace. I had hit the start/stop exactly at both mats as my time recorded was also exactly 17:30.

Ill have to line up a few more of these races myself, really enjoyed it

Bambaata wrote: »
    Well done El D. That pacing seems pretty much bang on. I was very similar, fast opening KM (03:20) slow into the wind (03:40), then like you two equal kms at 3 (03:33) and 4 (03:33) with a lift for the last part (03:17) - My garmin clocked 5.05km with last sprint being 2:40 pace. I had hit the start/stop exactly at both mats as my time recorded was also exactly 17:30.

Nicely done Bambaata, great speed in the last km :cool: Are we ever going to see a log?

Savage going lads. 3 impressive runs. 26s is a nice chunk of time to knock off El D. Well done!

Keep the training going over the Christmas and that sub 30 is there for the taking! :cool:

Bambaata wrote: »

Ha, ya our pacing was very similar, small difference being 9 sec or so per km :) FYI my last burst/sprint was 2:19/km so faster than you there :D Very lucky I wasn't near you or I'd have had you ;) I clocked 5.06km but I forgot to hit stop straight away.

Fair play though Bambatta serious time and you are definitely a sub 17/sub 16:30 runner really. How about targeting another? St Pats weekend perhaps? Or does this fir in with you overall goals? Maybe a half marathon would suit you better.

Nicely done Bambaata, great speed in the last km :cool: Are we ever going to see a log?

+1

Savage going lads. 3 impressive runs. 26s is a nice chunk of time to knock off El D. Well done!

Keep the training going over the Christmas and that sub 30 is there for the taking! :cool:

I hope so P i hope so :)

Good race El D and well paced by the looks of it. Sub 18 is the next step for you, nice pb to boot.

• Advertisement

I hope so P i hope so :)

If you keep the training going then I don't see why not. For me I ran 18:11 in a 5k 6 weeks or so before my sub 30 8k and you have similar timelines available to you. ;)

Advertisement