Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim, Bike, Run....if only it was that simple!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well done at the weekend EL D. I don't think you'll make that mistake again! :D One very attractive thing about bike races is how cheap they are compared to tri and no issues like getting in to HoTW, etc. They are also damn tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good stuff there EL D, lessons learned eh. Nice to get a taste of it. Sounds like the hilly routes break up the A4s alright, you had some tough sessions in your legs from the week so the route found you out. Next time you can warm up in the frist few kms of the race :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Interesting stuff, El D... I'm not sure if I could face a cycle race, I think it might be a total shock to the system!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

^^^^^^Life is for living Ronan! Go for it, seriously I just made bad decisions, you will enjoy it and I'd imagine it can only bring you along.

Good stuff there EL D, lessons learned eh. Nice to get a taste of it. Sounds like the hilly routes break up the A4s alright, you had some tough sessions in your legs from the week so the route found you out. Next time you can warm up in the frist few kms of the race :)

Ya great to get a taste of it, no harm done and I hope to get some more in at some stage. The hills found the weakness alright, my already heavy legs suffered but come summer time, as I near the Euro's they will be well rested WMD's :D

Tues Morn 5th April

Plan Strength/Core Session - 1 of 12 Maximum Strength Phase
    Actual Strength/Core Session - 1 of 12 Maximum Strength Phase

So it's to the big weights now with 6-8 reps. Consists of squats/single leg step ups, seated row, core work and then work on my personal weaknesses - hamstrings and calfs. After 12 sessions I will replace with 2 bikram yoga sessions per week.

Had a go on a foam roller too, loved it, can't wait now for my own to arrive.

82 days until the Euro's......

Tues Eve 5th April

Plan Club Running Session
    Actual Club Running Session

12 X 400m with 2 min recovery. It was more like 410 (but who's counting !)

1. 1:16
    2. 1:17
    3. 1:14
    4. 1:18
    5. 1:16
    6. 1:20
    7. 1:17
    8. 1:17
    9. 1:17
    10. 1:19
    11. 1:18
    12. 1:19

Really struggled on these. Usually if I don't feel great I work my way into these-not tonight. Legs were lead. So.....weights on the
    legs squats/step ups have to stop. They are effecting my quality run sessions so decision made, they're gone. I still believe that weights on the legs do help and did last year but I started too late this year on them. Last year I had started 6 weeks earlier and they didn't effect speed/tempo work. Of course I will keep up the core work. HR for session 149/179

Total Time 1:15
    Total Dist 14.2km

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I think i had the same problems tonight on my intervals with an earlier gym session today.

Weds Morn 6th April

Plan Club Swim
    Actual Club Swim

I feel I need to get back to some easy stuff and/or drills. Stroke breaking down early in sets these days and focus all over the place. Still getting through, still hitting RT's but confidence not building. The last 2/3 weeks there has been a lot of volume but the quality just hasn't been there. Maybe another 3 weeks of this, which will be good for fitness anyway and then a scaling back in terms of volume and just put in some drills for WU and CD. We'll see.

850m kick this morning in total. Main set 5 X 400m off 8min coming in on 7:25-7:30 with pull and paddles.

Weekly Summary (Last Week)

Better late than never.

28 Mar-03 Apr|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|6|08:35|136.25
    Swimming|1|01:25|3,150
    Cycling|1|2:52|83.1
    Running|4|04:20|52
    Strenth/Core|0|0|N/A

Weight Watch

Last Week 86.6kg
    This Week scales broke (hope I didn't do that!)

Missed Sessions Watch

This Week 2
    Altogether This Block 2
    Overall 13

Poor enough week, it was rest easy week but really I cannot afford only one swim session. Also I seem to have dropped the ball a bit on the cycling front. At least the running is coming along now and that was my priority the last 3 weeks. 3 races in a week, 2 of them what I'd call training races (they all are it could be argued). A lot learned in the bike race, actually mad to try another and prove to myself really that I am better than that.

Weds Eve 6th April

Plan FTP Turbo Session
    Actual Nothing

Just spending time with the GF :cool:

Thurs Morn 7th April

Plan Gym - Core, some strength and roll
    Actual Gym - Core, some strength and roll

So no more big quad weights. Nice core and rolling session. Only weight training now is on the weak calfs and upper back, stablising muscles.

Thurs Afternoon 7th April

Plan Run Session
    Actual Run Session

Knew I wouldn't be able to make the club session (on the track for the first time this year) so text the coach for the session. So 200 x 10 starting with 90 sec recovery, then taking 10 sec off each recovery so that between the last and second last there would only be 10 secs. Meet a club mate and did it together:

1. 0:33
    2. 0:33
    3. 0:30
    4. 0:32
    5. 0:30
    6. 0:31
    7. 0:31
    8. 0:32
    9. 0:33
    10. 0:32

Felt great today, good decision to leave the weights on the legs out, felt fresh and very lively. Good session really enjoyed it, the sun shinning in the park, happy days :)

Time 1hr
    Dist 6km

Fri Morn 8 April

Plan Club swim
    Actual Club Swim

Felt great this morning, like yesterday nice, fresh and lively. So less volume in the pool did mean better quality and got drills in to. I find drills great, they really make me think and feel how a good stroke should feel. Did an interesting 8 x 50 wrong/right set. 25m swimming wrong (exaggerating my bad habits) then 25m nice, long strong stokes.

Main Set

4 X 100m off 1:45 X 2

1. 1:35
    2. 1:42
    3. 1:43
    4. 1:44

Rest then;

1. 1:40
    2. 1:41
    3. 1:42
    4. 1:44

Pace3d the second set better. Plan here is to get to 6 x 100m off 1:45 X 2, then bring it down to off 1:40 x 4. Confidence coming back :)

Time 1.20
    Dist 2500mts

Fri Afternoon 8th April

Plan Turbo interval/cadence session no. 29
    Actual Turbo interval/cadence session no. 29

Another beaut of a day out there, if I had had time I would have headed out on the bike. So it was a turbo session and an enjoyable one at that.

Speed 31/54.2km/h; Watt 219/407; Cad 98/181;

Toatal Time 1hr
    Total Dist 31k

• Advertisement

El D what turbo sessions are you following?

El D what turbo sessions are you following?

PM me your e mail dude and I will send them onto you.

Sat 9th April

Plan Long Bike including hill reps - 4k run off
    Actual Long Bike including hill reps - 4k run off

The Bike

Savage day to be out there. Shorts, no boot covers and no gloves was the order of the day. Glad I decided to wear the skins top though, it was windy and going at speed still pretty chilly-easy to get caught out these days.

I am at home this weekend so I needed to find a hill or hills to do my hill training. Exactly 20k from my house there is a hill on a relatively big hill on the Glenamaddy - Dunmore road. Funny all week I was thinking I would use this hill and in my head it was massive and I wasn't really looking forward to it, but once I went up it - it wasn't that bad. In saying that I must say after 9 repeats I had had enough. The hill is sharp at first then levels out only slighly then sharp again. So I decided to really attack the first part out of the saddle then into the saddle for the second part keeping cadence as high as I could. Once I made it up once I thought "that ain't so bad", so I had to do something. I decided to stay in the big cog for each of the 9 laps (4km per lap). The lap included a nice downhill section to in order to get back to the bottom of the big hill.

Felt strong throughout, a big change from last weekend, stayed in the big cog for all 9. I suppose I could have done 2/3 more if I had to but I stuck to the plan, anyway I still had 20km to home into a headwind and there were hills too.

By the time I arrived home I was feeling it, legs felt a little weak so a gel into the tummy and out for 4k run

Bike Numbers

9 Hill Laps Time 1:23:48; Dist 37.25;Speed 26.7/45.5km/h; HR 131/165

Overall Time 2:51:55; Dist 78.1;Speed 27.4/53km/h; HR 128/165

The Run

I put running shorts on and my runners and out the door. Really wish I had taken the skins off because it was really warm. Tried to keep a nice fresh cadence and that I did. Got into a lovely rhythm and tried to sprint finish the last 100m which I did :cool:

Run Numbers

Time 16:55; Dist 4k;Pace 4:13/km; HR 159/172

1st k: 4:12
    2nd k: 4:03
    3rd k: 4:15
    4th k: 4:20

Good and enjoyable days work. Overall feeling good and these type sessions are not as much hard work as they were just 5 weeks ago or so :)

Your run pace off the bike is impressive ElD.

Your run pace off the bike is impressive ElD.

I wanted to do this particular run at best pace just to see where I am. I am happy with it, it's early in the year so hope to be bringing these under 4 min pace.

Sun Morn 10th April

Plan LSR 18k
    Actual LSR 17.8k

UP early this morning to meet two of my good mates from home, they like to get the long run in nice and early as they are family men. Two of them are training for Ballina Half. The last two weeks I concentrated on negative split LSR but this morning it was about catching up with the lads and even enough spilts. Legs were pretty sore from yesterday, I forgot to bring home my protein drinks and I felt it this morning. Unreal weather this morning and a most enjoyable run :)

Time 1:33:20; Dist 17.8km; Pace 5:14; HR 134/151;

So end of Base 3 Week 3....

Weekly Summary

04 Apr-10 Apr|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|10|12:40|157.3
    Swimming|2|02:40|6,100
    Cycling|2|03:51|109km
    Running|4|04:05|42.2
    Strenth/Core|2|02:00|N/A

Weight Watch

Last Week No reading
    This Week 85km

Missed Sessions Watch

This Week 1
    Altogether This Block 3
    Overall 14

Decent week put in. Feel all the better for dropping the weights on the legs. This week is supposed to be a rest week but last week was <9hrs so I will keep the training up to Friday morning. I am away for the weekend then so Fri-Mon I will do only two easy 8k's because I will be flying to Gran Caneria on the Tues and ready to rock on the Wednesday for my biggest ever week of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Solid week training el director - what the plan for racing this summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Nice LSR, El D. That was some day - like the middle of summer.

:) Had to post for the craic - That's some weight figure 85km - what's that in kg? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Macanri wrote: »

:) Had to post for the craic - That's some weight figure 85km - what's that in kg? :)

Saw that myself too and had a giggle - such a child

snack_ie wrote: »
    Solid week training el director - what the plan for racing this summer?

Ha, Ha lads...ye are so funny! Ya I am 85km in weight :eek:

Hi snack, the plan is two A races - Euro Tri Champs in Spain in June and Galway 70.3 in Sept. I will also do some B races, namely a couple of NS races and some training races too especially on Weds nights.

How are things going with you dude, it's a while since I dipped into your log tbh so I must catch up. What are your A races??

• Advertisement

Every Sunday I plan my week, so it was late last night when I got around to it while watching the Masters. That was so disappointing plus it meant getting to bed late so I decided to have a rest day today as I knew I'd be wrecked, which I was/am. So a rest day will do me good I'm sure, but I certainly do not want to get in the habit of a totally rest day every single week. Really I have to get in my 3 swims per week, and I will this week I am sure. But I am concerned that I'm only getting 1, sometimes 2 if I'm lucky, bike sessions in lately. Plenty of biking next week so I hope when I get back I will just push on. At least the running is coming along.

Just another note. I really don't like incorporating hill training into my long cycles. It's getting to that time of year where I should be adding TT efforts and some short all-out/max efforts. These can easily be incorporated into the long cycle and makes the long cycle less boring. So I would prefer hill repeats to be done separately, I mean they are hard enough as it is. Come June I will be able to do that but till then, I'll just have to carry on doing them during my long ride.

Tues Morn 12th April

Plan Strength/Core/Roll session
    Actual Strength/Core/Roll session

Time 1hr

Tues Eve 112th April

Plan Club Run Session
    Actual Club Run Session

Nice evening once again and a nice session too. It was tough but the thing that made me happy is how strong I felt even in the last rep. By the end I was coming in ahead of two guys that are usually ahead of me. So the session 4 X 1km

1. 3:04 (way to fast so we reined it in)
    2. 3:13
    3. 3:13
    4. 3:12

Looking forward to the last race of the Raheny Winter League tomorrow night, it's a chance at my 1 mile PB of 5:40, so that should go.

Time 1:10
    Dist 9.1km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Quality stuff as usual going on in this log! Good stuff ElD. This place will be awash with Race Reports this summer :)

Tues Morn 12th April

Plan Strength/Core/Roll session
    Actual Strength/Core/Roll session

El D, what do you do in terms of strength, core, roll sessions? I don't do any but am seeing the need to do something!

ronanmac wrote: »
    El D, what do you do in terms of strength, core, roll sessions? I don't do any but am seeing the need to do something!

For strength I do the strength [URL="[url=http://www.trainingbible.com/pdf/Triathlon_Strength_Program.pdf]training[/url]"][/url]training out of Joe Friel's Training Bible

Now it's a bit late in the year for the MAX training phase but the AA phase can be done throughout the year. I have also stopped squats and single legs for now.

For core I do [URL="[url=http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486] this[/url]"][/url] this

And for rolling I just use the foam roller to roll out the calfs, quads, hamstrings etc...

Weds Morn 13th April

Plan Club Swim
    Actual Club Swim

Must get to bed earlier! Sleep in till 6 but dragged myself out of bed to try and make the most of it. Turned out to be a very useful session. We did some stroke length and stroke rate work. Good news and bad news here: Good news-my technique looks very good now; Bad news-my stroke rate is much too slow. I really have to concentrate on the speed of my arms through the water. The main set was 8 x 200 off 3:40. I didn't make the last 3 so my aim next time is to make all 8, I was only missing by 2/3 secs.

Time 1:20
    Dist 2,050mts

Weds Eve 13th April

Plan Raheny Winter League 1 mile race
    Actual Raheny Winter League 1 mile race

Well two weeks before christmas I decided enough is enough and I decided that entering a winter league might just kick me in action. I was 91kg and very unfit. My aim was that by the last race I would be able to actually race it, and so I did tonight. On the 9th March I did the same 1 mile race in 5:40, so tonight:

Dist 1 mile; Time 5:24; Pace 3:19/km; HR 166/177

I decided to try and stay as near to Mac as I could because he was going for a really good time. Easier said than done. I thought I would blast out from the start and see what I had in the tank at the end. The answer is not much because two guys got me in the last 200m, I am pretty sure that they were in my division too so a little disappointed as I had a chance of 3rd place in my division. Not to worry, another PB and another step on the confidence ladder. Well done to Mac who won our division (I'm pretty sure) For anyone who has not seen Mac running he has a lovely running style.

So a 16 sec improvement in one month :) I had no heart rate the last time out, pity as I think my ave and max tonight is low. Really it should be more 171/183 or so. mmmmm...prob because of last nights session.

So I did 6 races 2 3 miles, 2 2 miles and two 1 miles. I improved in all

1st 3 mile - 20:08 2nd 3 mile - 19:15

1st 2 mile - 12:36 2nd 2 mile - 11:54

1st 1 mile - 5:40 2nd 1 mile - 5:24

Well done, El D, 16 seconds off a mile PB is good going! Never did a mile like that, I'd imagine it's a real lung-buster.

ronanmac wrote: »
    Well done, El D, 16 seconds off a mile PB is good going! Never did a mile like that, I'd imagine it's a real lung-buster.

Ya it sure is man, nothing like it to get to open the lungs up!

Thurs Morn 14th April

Plan Swim session followed by core/roll session
    Actual Swim session followed by core/roll session

A nice snappy 1 hour session in the NAC this morning with Mac's group, no hanging around, 800 and 400 with no pushing off the wall and some descending sets. Followed up with a half hour of core and rolling.

Time 1:30
    Dist 2,800m

Will be away for the weekend and then straight off for my training week so won't be around here for nearly weeks I suspect, will have a lengthy enough post when I do return I suspect. Best of luck to those doing the North Tipp and any other races while I'm gone.

Thurs Eve 14th April

Plan Club track session
    Actual Nothing

Really annoyed to have missed this but f*ck it sometimes thats the way it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Enjoy the trip! A big long post when you get back would be nice, very interested to hear how you get on

Advertisement