Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about Bach

Options
  • 08-01-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭

Hi, I heard a piece of music on the old wireless the other day and I thought it was magnificent. The DJ said it was Bach so off I went to tower records to get myself a "Best of Bach" cd. I do like classical music but Im afraid I dont know my ass from my elbow, im very much johhny come lately to the whole scene(having spent a good portion of my teenage years listening to Slayer).
    Anyway I was kind of overwhelmed by the selection of Bach cds in tower and so I ended up leaving empty handed. I was wondering if any of you guys who are in the know, would be able to point me in the right direction in regards to buying a Bach cd, any recommendations are appreciated.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

It might be a good idea to tell us something about the piece on the radio that you liked: there are over 1000 works of many types in the BWV index of Bach's compositions and different approaches to performing them too.

We might be able to steer you towards more of what you like if we knew what that was!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The six Brandenburg Concertos might be a good place to start.

Also, some of the chorales and instrumentals from his cantatas are lovely and fairly well known. (eg. "Sheep may Safely Graze" from cantata BWV208, "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring" from BWV147 or "Wachet Auf /Sleepers Awake" from cantata BWV140).

There's a lot of classical music up on YouTube, you can have a look at these to see what you like before you decide what to buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Violin Concerto in A minor:

listen to the other movements too!

Lute Suite in C minor:

again, check out the other movements!

St Matthew's Passion:

WTK:

...just the snowflake on the tip of the iceberg!

And the mighty Passacaglia...

...and Fugue!

That'll give you a taste of his various different genera at least!

Sorry, I know this probably isn't much help with regard to buying a best of bach cd. No such cd can really do him justice. The best way to start might just be to get one of Glenn Gould's recordings of the Goldberg Variations. Both the '55 and '82 recordings are stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Wow thats great stuff, really appreciate you guys taking the time to recommend some pieces of music. I'll try all of those out.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

I'd recommend checking out the Violin and Oboe concerto in D minor (or C minor; it's the same piece and there's some debate over which is the original key.)Link. That's the second movement there with Albrecht Mayer (one of my faves) and Nigel Kennedy playing.

Check out this as well. It's great! Cantata no. 82. Thomas Quasthoff is the Baritone and Mayer (again) playing the oboe obliggato part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Sorry, double posted that for some reason! No idea how that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

The cello suites are beautiful - although I almost prefer them being played on guitar funnily enough. :) They're quite recognisable, and very meditative and relaxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

That's not how it's written, still sounds good though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Jimmy the Wheel

I just discovered Chaconne this week...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I think the Goldberg variations are the finest pieces ever composed by the mind of man. They are literally like an old friend to me. No matter what's going on in my life, if I can sit somewhere quiet and listen to them I feel at peace. I couldn't recommend them highly enough. Glenn Gould is the maestro of Bach's piano works, but I also have an interpretation by Chinese pianist Chen Pi-hsien which I believe is simply beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Bach cello suites - suite 3 is my favourite :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

House mate is singing recititives for practice purposes with NUIM Choral Soc for their performance of ST. John's Passion.

Holy Moly, it's an awesome work. Unbelieveable. Just epic, gorgeous, tender, dramatic, angry etc all in one piece. Phew.. Sweatin just thinking about it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Don't forget his infamous Toccota and Fugue in D minor for organ (if there's ever an organ being played in a movie, you can bet they're playing Bach :P).

His Brandenburg concertos are also pretty sweet. In particular, 2 and 5 are my favourites.

Also, his flute partita in A minor is magnificent:

Also, anything Gould plays by Bach is fantastic. The 48 preludes & fugues, the 2 and 3 part inventions and of course, the Goldberg Variations. For anything Bach wrote for keyboard instruments, Glen Gould is your man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Don't forget his infamous Toccota and Fugue in D minor for organ (if there's ever an organ being played in a movie, you can bet they're playing Bach :P).

Like this version :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATbMw6X3T40

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

Organ Concerto in D Minor, BWV 596

1. Unmarked, 2. Fuga

3. Largo, 4. Finale

Advertisement