Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triathlon Wetsuits

• 08-01-2011 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

I am looking to buy a wetsuit for triathlons. As I am not the best swimmer, my legs drag a bit I am looking at a suit that will help me with this. I used a 3mm surf wetsuit last year that was too big for me. I realised this when i got fitted for a new suit that was so much tighter. I'm looking at wiggle. But I was wondering does anyone know any stores in the north or south that have a good selection that I could try before I buy.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

wheelworx do a good range and Cyclesuperstore.You could also try base2race as they have an endless pool where you can test out the wetsuits which is handy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

wheres that?

www.base2race.ie for directions
    there web page doesnt seem to be active,no products on it.id give them a call to see what brands they are stocking first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Sungodbr

lamai wrote: »
    I am looking to buy a wetsuit for triathlons. As I am not the best swimmer, my legs drag a bit I am looking at a suit that will help me with this. I used a 3mm surf wetsuit last year that was too big for me. I realised this when i got fitted for a new suit that was so much tighter. I'm looking at wiggle. But I was wondering does anyone know any stores in the north or south that have a good selection that I could try before I buy.

Thanks

cheapest aquasphere wetsuits i ever found in irishfit in dun laoighre though cheapness might not be your priority

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I bought a decent blueseventy one from chainreaction cycles online. I think it cost 110STG but it does the job and has decent buoyancy. Only downside is you can't fit them on although the sizing chart is fairly accurate, mine fits perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

lamai wrote: »
    . But I was wondering does anyone know any stores in the north or south that have a good selection that I could try before I buy.

Thanks

I got mine in Irish Fit, got to try on and had selection of different brands as well unlike the bigger shops. I haven't a clue about wetsuits myself but the guy in the shop seemed knowledgeable to me.

Irishfit seem to have a good selection on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cian287

The lads in base2race are stocking blueseventy, sailfish and TYR, If your having problems with a suit i'd give them a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭sailing

Has anyone any experience of a Quintana Roo wetsuit which is supposed to have pull buoy technology in the legs. The pull buoy is a godsend to me in the pool and any assistance from a wetsuit giving me similar bouyancy in the legs is worth its weight in gold. They are unfortunately very expensive as I'm sure many of you are aware. Any positives or negatives from those in the know and are they worth the money for a struggling swimmer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Guys buying a wetsuit I am. I would like to try it out first though so I will be buying from B2R, provided I am happy.

They do not sell Blueseventy any more. The TYR Cat 5 and 3 are getting good reviews online, anybody have any opinion on these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Also in the market for a new wetsuit and have boiled it down to Bluseventy Helix vs Sailfish One?

Any thoughts or reviews of either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Also in the market for a new wetsuit and have boiled it down to Bluseventy Helix vs Sailfish One?

Any thoughts or reviews of either?

Kinda applicable to both you guys to be honest - what Id say is that your requirement for bouyancy from a suit has descreased as your swimming abilities have increased and the flexibility of a suit might become more important for anyone doing longer distance swims over the course of the summer.

I havent used any of the suits mentioned above - Ive heard good things regarding the light Sailfish suits - and TYR have a great history in swimming so definitely worth trying when you're in base2race El D.

If I was buying again Id probably try a few different ones but would reckon it'd be hard to beat my XTerra Vector Pro X2 http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/catalog/categories/mens/wetsuits/

Ive no connection with XTerra, base2race etc etc.

interested wrote: »
    Kinda applicable to both you guys to be honest - what Id say is that your requirement for bouyancy from a suit has descreased as your swimming abilities have increased and the flexibility of a suit might become more important for anyone doing longer distance swims over the course of the summer.

I havent used any of the suits mentioned above - Ive heard good things regarding the light Sailfish suits - and TYR have a great history in swimming so definitely worth trying when you're in base2race El D.

If I was buying again Id probably try a few different ones but would reckon it'd be hard to beat my XTerra Vector Pro X2 http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/catalog/categories/mens/wetsuits/

Ive no connection with XTerra, base2race etc etc.

Thanks interested. Well I have certainly gone backwards this year in my swimming so I may need an artificial boost to help. See you Weds morn dude.

I will report back here after my testing session in B2R next Weds.

Went down to Base2race for a look around today myself as I had a couple of small things to get and was impressed with the place. Had a friendly chat with a couple of the staff there and they gave me a quick intro into the endless pool while I was caught having a gander at it. I casually told them how my swimming wasn't the best and they threw on a few DVD clips on the tv beside the pool of various good and not so good people swimming in the pool and pointed out their good and bad techniques. Hope the place does well. They seem like a very nice bunch and didn't feel like I was under any pressure to buy anything. Will you report back on how you get on El Director on your wetsuit fitting. I was going to go and get mine over in the UK on my next visit over there but think I'll give these guys the business if your reports are good.

BTW I have absolutely no affiliation to this shop but like to give a good report when good service is provided.

sailing wrote: »
    Went down to Base2race for a look around today myself as I had a couple of small things to get and was impressed with the place. Had a friendly chat with a couple of the staff there and they gave me a quick intro into the endless pool while I was caught having a gander at it. I casually told them how my swimming wasn't the best and they threw on a few DVD clips on the tv beside the pool of various good and not so good people swimming in the pool and pointed out their good and bad techniques. Hope the place does well. They seem like a very nice bunch and didn't feel like I was under any pressure to buy anything. Will you report back on how you get on El Director on your wetsuit fitting. I was going to go and get mine over in the UK on my next visit over there but think I'll give these guys the business if your reports are good.

BTW I have absolutely no affiliation to this shop but like to give a good report when good service is provided.

Will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I've been into Base 2 Race recently and had a swim analysis done in the Endless pool, as well as tested the TYR C1 and C5 wetsuits... (C3 not in for another week/2).

Firstly the swim analysis was very good, got some valuable technique pointers and has improved my swimming so I highly recommend this. They also give you a DVD of your swimming.

Secondly the wetsuits, both felt very good I must say. I think the C1 is a superb entry wetsuit.
    The C5 is better again but I wanted to try the C3 as feel that may suit md best. These TYR wetsuits seem very good value.. Noble bought a C5 from them too... Also their pricing seems good.

I'll be back in to try C3 when it's in and chose between them then.

Its great service to be able to try before you buy. TYR seem to have nailed the shoulder flexibility imo. Barely felt like I was wearing the C5..

Well I am testing wetsuits tomorrow so I decided to go for the analysis also. I will report tomorrow on my experience. Here is a link some of you may find interesting

http://gavinnoble.com/tyr-hurricane-wetsuit/#more-2237

Had a really pleasant trip to B2R this afternoon. Very impressed with the friendly staff who really took a genuine interest in me-the customer.

First off the analysis. Met Eanna (spelling??:confused:) sound guy, he started by asking me questions re my swimming and where I am. You can't fake genuine interest and enthusiasm in what you do and that is what really impressed me and relaxed me. Swimming in the endless pool takes a bit of getting used to but after a while it was grand (gotta get me one of those!).

Eanna first of all pointed out some real positives which I was delighted with. Then to my very obvious problems. So, without getting into my own specifics, I was basically given a couple of drills and pointers and before I left he had me doing them and showed me on the flatscreen the difference that they made. Simple little changes but making a huge difference.

I tried on the TYR Cat 5. Loved it, it felt great I thought, the most notable thing was the core panel. I felt strong and solid in the core. The nice low comfortable collar and the quick release ankles were also very impressive. Swimming in it I felt like I was "on top" of the water and there was 0 restriction in my shoulders. Didn't even try any other suit, it felt so right, delighted with my purchase.

Before I left I had a nice chat with Domnic (I think) nice friendly guy too. After I left I was full of confidence in my swim and motivated, Eanna really felt that I have loads of room for improvement and more importantly feels that I have the ability to improve significantly.

So was it worth it?

The analysis: Yes, without doubt. For me anyway. I know what I have to do now, have a new found confidence and believe that I will get better. Eanna is posting me the DVD along with pointers and drills also. A great service imo.

The wetsuit test: If I spent that money online on a wetsuit, would I be as happy about it as I am about the TYR. No, def not, there would always be doubt until I got to try it out. I got to try it out today, do a mini transition and there was no doubt in my mind.

Hope this doesn't sound too positive, it's just that I felt great after leaving today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sounds very positive El D. Happy days. :cool: Dare I ask, how much for the analysis and how much for the wetsuit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

After I left I was full of confidence in my swim and motivated

Hope this doesn't sound too positive, it's just that I felt great after leaving today :)

Now dont ruin all this confidence and feel good factor by sleeping in again for tomorows swim ;)

Had a really pleasant trip to B2R this afternoon. Very impressed with the friendly staff who really took a genuine interest in me-the customer.

First off the analysis. Met Eanna (spelling??confused.gif) sound guy, he started by asking me questions re my swimming and where I am. You can't fake genuine interest and enthusiasm in what you do and that is what really impressed me and relaxed me. Swimming in the endless pool takes a bit of getting used to but after a while it was grand (gotta get me one of those!).

Eanna first of all pointed out some real positives which I was delighted with. Then to my very obvious problems. So, without getting into my own specifics, I was basically given a couple of drills and pointers and before I left he had me doing them and showed me on the flatscreen the difference that they made. Simple little changes but making a huge difference.

I tried on the TYR Cat 5. Loved it, it felt great I thought, the most notable thing was the core panel. I felt strong and solid in the core. The nice low comfortable collar and the quick release ankles were also very impressive. Swimming in it I felt like I was "on top" of the water and there was 0 restriction in my shoulders. Didn't even try any other suit, it felt so right, delighted with my purchase.

Before I left I had a nice chat with Domnic (I think) nice friendly guy too. After I left I was full of confidence in my swim and motivated, Eanna really felt that I have loads of room for improvement and more importantly feels that I have the ability to improve significantly.

Good to hear. Had the same impression myself as I said above when I dropped in for a look at the place. Think I'll book myself in for a fitting next month for one myself. Don't think I'll be able to push to a Cat 5 though. Just a bit pricey at the moment. Hopefully they'll have the Cat 3 in by then as another poster above says they are not in stock at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cian287

They have stock in of all three-TYR Hurricane c1,c3 and c5.
    Some really good feedback !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Following some positive messages here I decided to head to B2R to get a new wetsuit. I was tempted to push for the C3 but difficult for me to justify given my level of ability, it so settled for the C1. (BtW they do have the C3 in stock now).

Went through 3 different sizes (any of which I would have thought fitted fine) before they were happy with the fit. Short test in the pool and some initial (immediate :o ) feedback on my swimming (the positive is that there IS room for improvement ;) ).

Overall, excellent service and great attention to detail. As El-D mentioned, I could have saved a few yo-yo online, but would definitely not have managed to get the right fit.

Will be booking in for a full session in the pool, hopefully for next week. Will post feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Oldlegs wrote: »
    Following some positive messages here I decided to head to B2R to get a new wetsuit. I was tempted to push for the C3 but difficult for me to justify given my level of ability, it so settled for the C1. (BtW they do have the C3 in stock now).

Went through 3 different sizes (any of which I would have thought fitted fine) before they were happy with the fit. Short test in the pool and some initial (immediate :o ) feedback on my swimming (the positive is that there IS room for improvement ;) ).

Overall, excellent service and great attention to detail. As El-D mentioned, I could have saved a few yo-yo online, but would definitely not have managed to get the right fit.

Will be booking in for a full session in the pool, hopefully for next week. Will post feedback.
    where is the feedback :mad:? :p
    Im now thinking of going to B2R to to get the a wetsuit. I've been there before and was impressed with the gait analysis which was free for my runners.
    Is the pool fitting free to?
    Whats the prices like there? I can only really afford €100-€200

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

With your indicated budget for a triathlon wetsuit you are looking at suits like the Orca S3 range of entry level suits. My recommendation would be to either reset you budget to €200+ to get a decent above entry level suit 2XU T raneg, Orca Equip or TYR C1 type (all under €250 give or take).

Another option is to try and get a better second hand suit (Orca Sonar / 2XU Race) for your budget or a very cheap second hand entry level (sub €100) which you can use as a training suit and race early next year in before upgrading based on your swim ability rather than budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Was in Wheelworx on Saturday... they have a good sale on tri wetsuits... worth a visit. I baught a Blueseventy Sprint for 180 last year, its not 100 I think... good value for a starter.

(Disclaimer - I have not connection with Wheelworx!)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭eoinymc

Lads,

Any idea of anywhere can buy the blue seventy sprint or similar online with a decent delivery?

Went into wheelworx this evening and they didn't have one in my size. Great deals there though!

Cheers,

Eoin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Orca Kaisei is about €118 on Wiggle at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Incremental

Got the Orca Kaisei from Wiggle earlier in the summer for €113, good beginner suit, sizing wise was spot on, just make sure if you think you are between sizes on the chart to go for the smaller size. I put a light tear in the suit first time I wore it due being rough with the nails but got a lot more careful from then on and its been fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

I also got mine in Irishfit. The lads are sound , know their stuff and have a good selection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 liam85

Hi, I will be looking for a wetsuit too. Medium mens suitable for triathlon. My triathlon is in 3 weeks time. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭B Morrissey

For what its worth I also bought the orca kaisei from wiggle - it is my first wetsuit and this is my first tri season - I have already also put a hole in it during transition and am glad I didnt fork out a lot more for a better grade suit - Im sure any of the current range of suits are buoyant enough and I wouldnt be nit picking over an extra feature or two starting off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

how long for Wiggle to deliver??

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

Go to a shop and get fitted properly for a wetsuit. You will be suprised the difference it makes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

Hey guys my Lidl wetsuit has got me thru the summer so time to upgrade! Is there a good time to buy wetsuits? Don't wanna spend a fortune but would hate to see I bought a wetsuit now and it's a good bit cheaper in a couple of months time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

clubwelly wrote: »
    Hey guys my Lidl wetsuit has got me thru the summer so time to upgrade! Is there a good time to buy wetsuits? Don't wanna spend a fortune but would hate to see I bought a wetsuit now and it's a good bit cheaper in a couple of months time

Buy closer to the season, a wetsuit that fits not might not fit then if you train alot and your body shape chanes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

tunney wrote: »
    Buy closer to the season, a wetsuit that fits not might not fit then if you train alot and your body shape chanes

Who ate all the pies :D

Advertisement