Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survivor 22 Redemption Island [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

L31mr0d wrote: »
    The issue with this though is that it makes for bad viewing. Nobody is playing the social game anymore. Rob has created a system that is so stable and locked down it's boring to watch.

Grant is becoming another Ozzy it seems. He's a huge physical threat. He has to know Rob sees this and is going to try and oust him as soon as the other tribe has been voted out. He also knows Grant has a good chance of beating Matt on Redemption Island.

Overall though, great strategic season, but incredibly boring to watch.

Agree totally. While it's dull, it's fascinating to see somebody playing so perfectly. The buddy system is the work of an absolute Survivor genius. It means the Zaps can't isolate one person and turn them. Rob is watching Grant, while loyal soldiers Philip and Natalie are keeping an eye on Andrea and Ashley respectively. I've never seen anything more unbelievable in Survivor than Rob forbidding his alliance from eating the fish. He has them in such a state of fear, and at such loggerheads with the Zaps that they are willing to obey him telling them to NOT EAT on day 22 of Survivor! It's an amazing performance. Normally when someone is as dominant as Rob, they run the risk of losing jury votes. But if he takes Natalie and Ashley/Philip to the final 3, the jury will have no choice but to vote for him. His decision to keep Philip earlier in the game is showing it's worth now. Philip wouldn't get a single Zapatera vote in the final jury.
    I do feel though that Grant will make a move against Rob at some point. The way they kept showing Grant's discomfort in Tribal Council everytime some mention was made of Rob's thrall over the Omatepe's seems to be setting it up.
    BTW, is this the first time in Survivor history somebody has kept a HII completely secret from everyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Boring episode this week but Philip gets funnier by the week. :D He really is crazy. I hated him at the start but tbh the only good thing about this week's episode was watching him become ever more crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Was it that boring an episode? I loved it, Rob is playing the perfect game and being funny about it aswell, cant wait to see how it pans out once they have to start voting for each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I didn't think it was that boring. I did think it lost something by having two challenges and two tribals in the same show (you missed out on a lot of banter and plotting between the tribemembers).

Phillip has zero chance of winning, but he is an absolute guaranteed lock for the next all-stars season, and potentially the $25k favourite player award in the reunion show. Either he really is completely mad, or its a calculated act. Very entertaining to watch, though.

Rob's cockiness is going to bite him in the ass... I think he'll fall at the final hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Rob's cockiness is going to bite him in the ass... I think he'll fall at the final hurdle.
    Totally agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Anybody see or know anything about the trailer on Stentilyzier's channel for Survivor Ultimate Catastrophe edition??It appears to a motley crew of all the best fruitcakes(25 demented psychos!!!) Shambo,Sandy,Cao Boi,Shannon,Kimmi,Lindsey,Coach,Dreamz,Crystal,Naonka,Russell,Sue,Sean,Rocky,Corinne and Randy are all mentioned.The end of the trailer mentions Survivor Baghdad and says outhide,outgun and outlive as opposed to outplay,outwit and outlast!If this is the real deal it could be the best survivor ever,it appears to be of 39 days duration.Sorry for going off topic.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Survivor Baghdad - that's all you need to know when deciding if this is real or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Question (avoiding every post in this thread since I watch on TG4): When will Survivor Nicaragua air on TG4 do we know? Heroes v Villains just finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Felt really bad for Julie. Didn't want to see her go at all :(

PJTierney wrote: »
    Question (avoiding every post in this thread since I watch on TG4): When will Survivor Nicaragua air on TG4 do we know? Heroes v Villains just finished.

Prob next year. They showed Samoa and HvV back to back, so I guess there'll be a big gap between that and Nicaragua. Prob for the best. It doesn't quite live up to to HvV!

As for Redemption Island, strange episode this week. Philip really went off the rails altogether. I'm seriously getting sick of Matt talking about Jesus. It's the same crap from him every week. Plus I'm starting to get a bad feeling that he's gonna go all the way. If he wins this game after being voted out twice, I'll be pissed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Very glad Julie went - thought she was absolutely horrible in this episode, hiding Philips shorts like that. Totally uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I loved this episode! :D Philip is nuts. I can't believe he went off on one like that. Well actually I can.

As much as I don't want him to win Survivor (which he wont anyway) I kind of don't want to see him voted out. He really is just so so entertaining.

Yet another seriously boring and predictable episode,sick to death of Philip.He's singlehandedly undermined the status of African American men with his calling out Steve on the race card without any justification.Does he really believe that all African American men have an ability to lose it?!That man is seriously mentally ill,I loved the way Julie hide his shorts.Special agent Philip couldn't even identify the correct culprit.It was hilarious although a little cruel to see him having to vote in the pink underpants!:DDavid could hardly contain himself,Julie knew exactly how to push his buttons,priceless when she said that she supposed now he wouldn't be able to find his shorts after she was voted out.Matt is overdoing the reliance on his faith,I hope him or Mike make it back into the game and shake up and breathe a bit of life into a seemingly predictable climax to a disappointingly average season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Wow that was one explosive episode. Philip really went off on one. I knew he had to potential to but thought with his interest in Buddhism and samurai culture he'd be able to maintain control...

I think Julie went cos Rob wants to maintain chaos in camp. Julie was probably seen as the least trouble (hiding shorts aside) in camp. Steve and Phillip now have their thing and Ralph can be argumentative.

Matt is starting to be annoying alright, moaning all the time and praying. I too worry that he is also getting a bit too much airtime. Lots of Matt and lots of Phillip with a mixing of Rob but he is always going to get airtime...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yet another seriously boring and predictable episode,
    No pleasing some people, that was a great episode :eek:

I absolutely hate Matt and his Jesus crap now, all the thousands of children that have starved to death or been turned into slaves or prostitutes since he started his free holiday in paradise with a chance to win a million quid and a few hundred grand in appearance fees and interviews guaranteed when he gets home? And he's crying away about how its a some kind of big trial sent by god to test him, what a naive and spoiled little pampered twat.

Thargor wrote: »
    I absolutely hate Matt and his Jesus crap now, all the thousands of children that have starved to death or been turned into slaves or prostitutes since he started his free holiday in paradise with a chance to win a million quid and a few hundred grand in appearance fees and interviews guaranteed when he gets home? And he's crying away about how its a some kind of big trial sent by god to test him, what a naive and spoiled little pampered twat.

Couldn't agree more

Thargor wrote: »
    No pleasing some people, that was a great episode :eek:
    Just think it is becoming all too predictable who's going to be voted out apart from Matt's blindsides.There is simply no glimmer of hope for the remaining tribe members of Zapatera.There is no ability on their behalf to hussle for a Ometepe member to flip with the infamous Buddy system.I'd love if there was some chink in the armour.There's nothing like the tension at a Tribal Council where the outcome is in doubt up to the actual vote due to changing alliances,hidden immunity idols floating about the place etc.Not too sure if Boston Rob is genuine about taking the Nutty Special Agent Philip Shephard to the top 3,I still reckon there is a possibility he'll be the first of the Ometepe members voted out.The Zapatera tribe tried to spell this possiblity out to him at Tribal Council but he does'nt seem to care if he's at the bottom rung of the Ometepe ladder.Anyhow it's totally irrelevant as the numbers are stacked against Zapatera.In seasons gone by I do not think original tribe members were as tight as Ometepe.There's usually friction amongst some tribe members,fractious relations leading to tribe members flipping.Bring back Hantz and Parvati,he'd have stirred things up,several of the pretty girls have bland personalities and appear to offer little threat at the challenges.In addition,this is Survivor and there's nothing but sunshine,where are the inclement weather conditions that are so intrinsic to the whole concept of Survivor,I ain't seeing a whole lot of hardship apart from a bit of damaged rice.:DRoll on next week!!

I wouldn't write anyone off who is left from Zapatera yet. Just look back at Chris in Vanuatu when he took down an alliance of 6 against himself to win it out. Anything could happen when the Ometepe tribe start realising where they stand in their alliance...

Coeus wrote: »
    I wouldn't write anyone off who is left from Zapatera yet. Just look back at Chris in Vanuatu when he took down an alliance of 6 against himself to win it out. Anything could happen when the Ometepe tribe start realising where they stand in their alliance...

The remaining Zaps are a long way from Chris Daughtry. None of them have the ability to manipulate people's emotions like he could. Plus Boston Rob has a tight rule over Omatepe, whereas the women's alliance in Vanuatu was already on the verge of imploding before Chris got his hands on them. I think this season's winner will undoubtadely be one of the Omatepe 6 or Matt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I think the best bet for them is to manipulate grant, and convince him that Rob will get rid of him as soon as they are all gone, as he would be his biggest rival.

I think if they could pull off a move, they would be able to blindside him.

Philip is driving me mental now, I just want him gone. Well done hiding his shorts though haha.

Finished watching Guatemala and Fiji there last week, excellent series, especially Fiji :) ,yau man was a legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

If anyone here has watched a large number of season's you'll have gotten used to the editing throughout the shows, and how the winners and final few are edited and portrayed throughout each season.

This season's editing would seem to leave little to no hope for the Zapatera's. They seem to be building up to Matt coming back again and having a showdown with Rob.

If I had to call it now, based on editing alone, I'd say Rob, Andrea, Phil and Natalie final 4. Possibly with Matt in for Natalie. The only curveball I could see is Rob being blindsided and having to face Matt on Redemption Island.

Rob looks the clear winner, but there's a chance they're giving him the "Russell edit" at the same time.

If any of the Ometepe's flip on him, I'd call it being Andrea, and to a lesser extent Phil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 BBFlowerPotMen

OMG Phillip playing the race card, nigga plz!

I think natalie could end up winning if boston does what he says, like in samoa when russel lost.

It will be very interesting to see how redemption island will play out and who will return.

If i was in Zapatera i'd be looking for that idol ages ago, i dunno why thst idea hasn't crossed any of thier minds?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

All this talk of Vanuatu has made me want to go back and rewatch earlier seasons... Sure I might know who the winners are, but I'd say I've forgotten the majority of the contestants and the order they were voted out in - would be interesting to compare strategies and whatnot of the early years to the strategies they use these days...

Well thats phase one complete for Boston Rob. Zapatera is gone, so it's down to the fun of eating his own. Grant and Andrea are the obvious threats to him. While I think Andrea is the more dangerous in terms of flipping and getting votes, there is also the chance that Grant could go on a run of immunities. I would take out Grant first and then Andrea.

Yeah massive relief we're going to get some real action.Totally agreed Grant and Andrea are massive threats to Rob.Philip could'nt even get Jack Nicholson's "you can't handle the truth" line right.Hope Matt does well as he's a nice kid despite the whole God thing.Those empty bimbos had a great chance to make a big play and vote Rob out but ran back to Rob.Do they want to write the million dollar cheque to him already?

So we're down to the Ometepe 6 (plus one returnee from RI who will re-enter later rolleyes.gif). Just watched Jeff Probst blog there, he said next weeks episode has kickass challenge (looked tough from the promo) and that next weeks elimination will be a blindside which is kinda stating the obvious.

My thinking is that Andrea is the biggest threat. They have shown glimpses of her talking strategy, of her been friendly with Phillip and then there is her thing for Matt (who from the airtime he is getting looks the most likely to come back). This could be very dangerous for Rob down the road. To me Grant is only a threat as he might take immunities away from Rob in the short term. He seems to be very loyal to Rob, apologising for beating him in the IC and sharing the cake with him after. If I were Rob I'd be keeping Grant around until the RI returnee has returned and gone. If Grant wins a string of immunities at the end then I take my chances against him and Phillip in the endgame...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

Another good episode. Now that Zapatera are on Redemption Island, we might finally see who in the group can play the game besides Rob.

I think for the first time they showed Natalie is playing the game when they showed her saying that Steve's plan of the three girls turning on Rob was a good one, but they couldn't trust Andrea to not turn on them if Matt gets back in the game so they couldn't make the move. It showed she is aware that Rob is running away with the game. I think if anyone is going to orchestrate a move on Rob it will be either her or Phillip. Everyone else is either not capable or Rob is watching them too closely for them to get away with it.

From the clip they showed of the next episode, I've got a feeling there are going to be multiple contestants come back from Redemption Island this time, quite possibly a group of three. If a group gets put back in the mix after Ometepe start turning on each other, it could get very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Once Matt's gone, the 3 girls could make it to the end.

Though, I'm starting to think that it'll be a final 2 + 1 from RI. :( Whatever happens, 8 people have to be voted out in 3 episodes.

Aard wrote: »
    Though, I'm starting to think that it'll be a final 2 + 1 from RI. :( Whatever happens, 8 people have to be voted out in 3 episodes.

Jeff Probst said there will be
    people left in the game in the finale. A lot to get through.

I have to say, at this late point in the game, Redemption Island hasn't worked for me at all. I really hope they don't continue with it next season. If Matt were to return and win the game, it would be criminal. We would have someone who has no real game or smarts winning. Survivor has always been more of a mental/social game, and RI allows a purely physical player who has no clue strategically to win the game. But the biggest problem for me is that it completely eliminates the thrill of blindsides. I mean, each episode's ending is an anti-climax, because you don't really care when someone gets voted out. They're still in the game. Bloody Matt has been viciously blindsided twice, but those moments had no real impact because we can't get rid of him. Then we get someone eliminated 10 minutes into each episode, but at that point, you don't care because it's the beginning of the ep. RI also hampers quality players. Look at Rob, doing everything right, but he can't get rid of Matt despite playing him perfectly twice. Imagine in Micronesia, when Cirie and Parvati blindsided Ozzy, if he had gone to RI. It would have ruined a huge moment like that if Ozzy had remained in the game. It also would have made a player like Ozzy near invincible in that season. I was willing to give RI a chance, but it has really watered the game down for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

This season has been really, really poor imo. Redemption Island has failed as a concept, and the casting department failed with the cast. It's clear that a high number of players have hardly even watched the show before.

I genuinely can see no possible ending to this game that will be satisfactory. The girls etc. are too afraid to backstab Rob or do anything like that, and so this will just continue to be the borefest that it is. Poor cast, boring gameplay. This is down there with Thailand in my ranking of seasons as being one of the worst ever :P

Who knows, maybe the last few episodes will prove me wrong?

Advertisement