Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survivor 22 Redemption Island [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Well the right man won, but the season was a big fat meh...
    I have the feeling that bringing two previous players back each season is gonna be an ongoing thing, which would be fine if they're really good players like Richard Hatch and Jonathan Penner for example, but if they bring back the likes of Cirie or Sandra again I'm gonna be uber pissed...
    I actually would like to see David from this season be brought back at some point - he was the one Zapatera member (outside of Russell's alliance) who actually seemed to have any respect for the game and I thought his live proposal on the reunion show was really sweet. Can't for the life of me remember your one though - did they say she was on Tocantins? Did she last long?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Yes well done Rob, he played a flawless game and fully deserved to win. Even got the perfect final 3 for him and I was glad he didnt get bitter jury. I agree it wasnt the strongest cast as Rob had alot of followers to work with once he got rid of the players. Going forward I would like to less casting to avoid a procession and more home audience participation since its the fans who really know how to play.

Yea, I agree on the earlier posting of one of the returnees been Erik, thats what I thought the second I saw the promo and he is definitely a guy who needs redemption. He quite likeable aswell so could go far. Jason was the other guy who gave away immunity on FvF but he hadn't a clue how to play so doubt they'd bring him back.

On Redemption Island, while I not a fan of it hopefully it is just for next season, then they do some twist on a all-stars series.

In the future I see David been asked back, Andrea too and maybe Phillip for some comic value. As for his new fiancee you don't remember her as she was the first one out on Tocantins, I remember her been mouthy and everyone voted her out...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm glad that Rob won. He deserved it. At the beginning of this season I didn't want him to win but he really was the only one who actually played the game so he deserved it. Natalie and Philip shot themselves in the foot as soon as they opened their mouths at final Tribal Council. Natalie was seriously naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Well since we're stuck with RI for another season, may as well speculate on who it might be that's brought back.

The way I see it, there's three ways they can play it - bring back two players who came very close but didn't quite win or did something really dumb, or bring back two players who had some sort of feud that the directors can play with, or bring back novelty/popular players to try and boost ratings. Boston Rob and Russell were a kind of unique combination of all three of those factors, which will be hard to repeat.

Another factor is that the vast majority of Survivor fans are casual fans, and won't remember most people from beyond 3 or 4 seasons ago.

If it's the first category (players who were close or made dumb moves), I could see players like Cirie, Amanda, James, Natalie (Micronesia), Holly, Stephenie, Stephen (Tocantins), Yau Man, Terry (Panama), Ian (Palau), Erik (micronesia), Jason (Micronesia), Rob (Amazon), Lex or Kathy (Marquesas/AllStars). Some of them have played loads of times by now though, and their games are well known. From the producers POV, there's a big risk of them being early boots. Also a lot of old players there who the casuals might not remember.

If it's the second category (feuds), they would have to have certain pairs return, such as;
    Marty and Jane (Nicaragua)
    Shambo and Laura (Samoa)
    Tyson and Sierra (Tocantins) (highly unlikely)
    Colby and Jerri (highly unlikely)
    Coach and Brendan (Tocantins)
    Randy and Crystal (Gabon)
    While interesting enough, none of these really grab me.

Unfortunately I think it's most likely going to be the third category - weird or larger than life players who were ratings hits in previous seasons. So we could see Andrea or Matt (very recent, fresh in audience memories, popular), Phil, Shambo, Coach, or Jane.
    These are almost all people I do not want to see again (exception is Andrea).

If I had to call it now, I'd say Coach and Phil return, in a kind of battle of the crazies type thing. They are two of the biggest characters of recent years, and the characters everyone was talking about in their respective seasons. Unfortunately, they also both suck, but hell, the producers seem intent on murdering Survivor anyway, so why should that matter.

Please let me be wrong.

abelard wrote: »
    Well since we're stuck with RI for another season, may as well speculate on who it might be that's brought back.
    I also think Brenda from Nicaragua could be brought back. She got shafted by her alliance and then refused to scramble to stay in the game. There has to be some redemption to be had for that.

She meets alot criteria in that she is a strategist, physical threat, been in a recent series (so viewers will know who she is) and is some serious eye candy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Interesting speculation, Abelard.

You're definitely right about one thing: the producers are aiming this towards the casual fans. To that end, I imagine that they'll choose two people who:
    1. were likeable, or at least love-to-hateable
    2. by and large had relationships (good or bad) with many people
    3. come from about China onwards (people have fish-like memories)
    4. are not 3rd/4th time players
    5. were sent home before they should have been (subjective, I know)
    6. had a good understanding of the game and and strategy

So...
    My quick glance at ex-competitors who fulfil the (arbitrary, granted) criteria are:
    • Matty (Gabon)
    • Brendan (Tocantins)
    • Taj (Tocantins)
    • Russell S. (Samoa)
    • Marty (Nicaragua)
    • Brenda (Nicaragua)

If that list is anything to go by, I'd like to see Taj and Marty. I really don't want any crazies, nor people who will be deified (...Rob).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'd love to see a season where all the contestants came 2nd in a previous season. Or better yet, a repeat season where everyone from a previous season played over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I actually enjoyed the season. RI was an interesting do-or-die touch but it probably should have been finished earlier. Was expecting Matt to come back a third time. One blind side can be tough, nevermind two or three.

Delighted Rob won - only player who was in the game. The final tribal was amusing; he didn't have to say anything really. The other two talked him up or shot themselves in the foot. Also glad with David's say - he understood the game and even some of his comments at previous tribals (2nd blindside of Matt) show that he appreciated cleverness.

Fair play to Rob though. Played a perfect game which is difficult to do on a normal game, never mind when it's your fourth time out and you're a clear threat. Hopefully himself and Grant can work things out - an unfortunate downside to the nature of the game...

I am one of those people with a goldfish memories. Despite watching most (if not all) seasons and following it feverishly, I've forgotten a lot of names! Not sure how bringing players back over and over again is going to pan out..

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Boston Rob is a very worthy winner,having said that he probably faced the weakest survivor competitors ever.IMHO this was the worst survivor season ever,I'm mortified at the thought that RI is coming back again.It really is time to go back to basics;focus on the survival skills,building a shelter,creating fire,minimal rations.The focus should on the hardships,inclement weather etc..This RI farce has made the reward challenges where flint,blankets,tarp,fishing tools were at stake redundant.Survivors languishing around camp all day isn't my idea of survivor.In addition the lack of water challenges has been sorely missed,insurance issues or not.The notion been put forward of bringing a couple of notorious ex players back is a big no no.It might be a popular move but they will have an immediate target on their back.That concept will only work if all the players are former players HvV,FvF,all stars.No next season we should have 18 NEW players,dump RI!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Most of the players this season were seriously thick. I was constantly shouting at my screen "why aren't you voting Rob off?!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

New players need to be vetted very rigorously based on their ability to play the strategic game.

There have been way too many lazy, non-thinking eye-candy women and handsome, physically impressive but ultimately un-strategic men in the last couple of seasons.

keane2097 wrote: »
    New players need to be vetted very rigorously based on their ability to play the strategic game.

There have been way too many lazy, non-thinking eye-candy women...in the last couple of seasons.

I wouldn't necessarily get rid of them :D

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily get rid of them :D

Yes bring back Monica please

Monica.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

There have been some eye candy women who play decent strategic games. Surely they get enough applicants to find more players like that and weed out the useless ones.

Anachrony wrote: »
    Surely they get enough applicants to find more players like that and weed out the useless ones.

My understanding is they don't use the general public. They contact modelling and actors groups and use people from them, so they may not have a huge group to choose from.

Lately, a lot of Survivors are recruited. There was one season where all but one were recruits, and the non-recruit had to be evacuated. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing if they seek out a few people themselves, but god if they do they better be pretty darn good to bypass the application system. Otherwise, you just get people who aren't committed to the game.

I think it's good to have a mix of people. A few unintelligent sheep can be alright, as long as they're entertaining. But the likes of Natalie, Ashley, Samoa Natalie, Purple Kelly ... atrocious. No amount of easy-on-the-eye can make up for wasting 5% of prime casting real-estate. It can't be hard to find a hot chick with some brains (à la the archetypical Parvati).

I just want Survivor to back to normal:
    1. Two tribes of eight players,
    2. Maybe a pre-merge switch,
    3. No hidden immunity,
    4. Bring back the disgusting food challenge,
    5. Food auction,
    6. Final TWO!,
    7. Less homemade-looking challenges,
    8. Fewer supplies/luxuries,
    9. Merge tribe has to build new camp,
    10. More survival, less he-said-she-said,
    11. A cast that isn't half Californian.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

Aard wrote: »

I just want Survivor to back to normal:
    1. Two tribes of eight players,
    2. Maybe a pre-merge switch,
    3. No hidden immunity,
    4. Bring back the disgusting food challenge,
    5. Food auction,
    6. Final TWO!,
    7. Less homemade-looking challenges,
    8. Fewer supplies/luxuries,
    9. Merge tribe has to build new camp,
    10. More survival, less he-said-she-said,
    11. A cast that isn't half Californian.

Agree with a lot of these.
    1. Two tribes of eight players, Definitely. You actually get to know players then
    2. Maybe a pre-merge switch, Hmm, not a huge fan of these. I think these twists only serve to screw up the game for good players. Should be used only when necassary, like if the tribes are horribly mis-matched or things are too predictable.
    3. No hidden immunity, Don't agree. They are a big part of the excitement of the game and they can help stop a predictable pagonging by one alliance. I would say less HII's, and harder to find.
    4. Bring back the disgusting food challenge, Agreed
    5. Food auction, Absolutely! Always one of my favourite episodes for some reason
    6. Final TWO!, I think I'm in the minority who prefers a final 3. Yul v Ozzy v Becky is better than Yul v Becky. Todd v Courtney v Amanda is better than Todd v Amanda
    7. Less homemade-looking challenges, Yes, and more water based challenges
    8. Fewer supplies/luxuries, Possibly. But if things are too dificult it makes for a bad season with castaway's not getting enough food/water. i.e. Africa/first half of Panama
    9. Merge tribe has to build new camp, Agreed. Gives them a chance to split up and run around and scramble a bit
    10. More survival, less he-said-she-said, I prefer more strategy. By S22, we know how hungry/cold/thirsty they are.
    11. A cast that isn't half Californian. Hell yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Looks like Hantz may come back again,love to see him win it!Maybe it'll take him 4 attempts like Boston Rob.:DDisgusted with the return of 2 former players,definitely looks like it's the dude who made the dumbest move of all time in Survivor history,not too sure who the eye candy is?????:mad:

I think it's good to have a mix of people. A few unintelligent sheep can be alright, as long as they're entertaining. But the likes of Natalie, Ashley, Samoa Natalie, Purple Kelly ... atrocious. No amount of easy-on-the-eye can make up for wasting 5% of prime casting real-estate. It can't be hard to find a hot chick with some brains (à la the archetypical Parvati).
    I dunno if we would have got that shower scene if the producers hadn't done a bit of casting. That was the highlight of the series for me :)

I'm still all for Brenda coming back. I think she can be the new Parvati since she dont want to play anymore :) I don't blame her after losing out on winning HvV...

Anyone have any further spoilers on who the returnees might be? I read that the cast leave for the 'South Pacific' at the end of the month!

I wish Americans weren't so prudish about nudity and the show had some nudity in it.

• Advertisement

I wish Americans weren't so prudish about nudity and the show had some nudity in it.

Though then again, one of the last blurred shots from RI season was Phillip in his pink y-fronts. No way do I want to see anything like that!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How could nobody have tried to target Rob at any stage? How? Did they think getting a free ride behind someone who was actually playing the game is ever the way to win the million? There were a lot of contestants this season who never seemed to have watched Survivor before.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

Thargor wrote: »
    How could nobody have tried to target Rob at any stage? How? Did they think getting a free ride behind someone who was actually playing the game is ever the way to win the million? There were a lot of contestants this season who never seemed to have watched Survivor before.

Natalie White, Amber Brkich. I'm sure thats what Rob's alliance thought would happen this time. Let him take the bullets, while you get the votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

@Johnnycandy, Natalie Tenerelli completely missed the aspect of the game which made Natalie White win - the social game. She was completely controlled by Rob and that was her downfall. I actually believe that Natalie White's game is underrated - she saw that there was an abrasive player in Russell who was being generally insufferable, and as a fan of the show she knew that he was the perfect goat to go to the end with - there was no way he could win, and so she managed to plant it in his mind that she was the ideal candidate to go to the end with him "the useless little girl". But that's a debate that could go on forever!

Anyway filming for S23 has begun, and rumours are already circulating as to the identity of the two returnees :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Roll on Autumn, weekends dont feel right without beers, nachos and Survivor.

Anyway filming for S23 has begun, and rumours are already circulating as to the identity of the two returnees :P
    Yes, it has indeed probably about a week in now. The rumours have been pointing to 2 particular survivors.

Still looking forward to it despite there been returnees and redemption island...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Working my way through some of the older seasons of it at the moment that I would've been too young to appreciate it when they originally aired :D

On Season 4 at the moment which is Rob's original season and it's really interesting to watch. You can see he had a clear plan from his very first outing and it shows how much he grew up when looking at the latest season where he implemented it to perfection.

Made me even happier he won, even though the strategy didn't make for the most exciting viewing.

From watching as well, Jeff Probst hasn't aged a day and it's really lacking without the water challenges!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Coeus wrote: »
    Yes, it has indeed probably about a week in now. The rumours have been pointing to 2 particular survivors.

Still looking forward to it despite there been returnees and redemption island...

Can you tell us with spoiler for those who don't want to know.

The two names are on wikipedia. If it's true, then it's a WTF moment at best. At worst, well, RI: Mark II :(

• Advertisement

The two names are on wikipedia. If it's true, then it's a WTF moment at best. At worst, well, RI: Mark II :(
    The 2 (if the spoilers are correct) ain't the most strategic players that have ever played so I doubt they'll be able to pull a Boston Rob. That said one was really good at challenges in past Survivor series...

Yes wikipedia has their names under Survivor : South Pacific. These players were first named by the spoiler who first spoilt the return to Samoa so it may be spot on...

Advertisement