Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autorun.inf virus

Options
  • 08-01-2011 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi. I have a PC with this dreaded autorun.inf virus. I have tried everything, I even removed the drive and scanned on a good clean computer with Microsoft essentials, it picked it up alright but couldn't remove it.
    I used the attrib -s -r -h in the cmd prompt and tried the del autorun.inf from there with no luck.
    I downloaded numerous removal tools, i.e. Norton, autorun eater, pctools threat removal tool with no success.
    I also tried all these from safe mode. The virus denies access to the registry, folder options "show hidden files" and task manager so I cannot make any changes manually.
    This Pc is a Packard Bell with no supplied recovery media, and no option to create my own so I'm a bit reluctant to do a reformat as I only have Toshiba and Dell media. This PC is about 5 years old running on XP SP2.

The only thing that's being removed successfully is my hair, or more accurately what's left of it.

If anybody has any insight or advice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Try the Bitdefender Rescue CD. Burn the ISO file to a CD and boot from the CD. Because you're booting and scanning from the CD, the virus will not be running and so you might have a better chance of removing it.

Also if at this stage you know the location of the virus file(s) then you could boot from a Linux Live CD like Ubuntu or Fedora and remove the file(s) using that. Again, because neither Windows nor the virus are running, it can be easier to remove the files if you know where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tombre

Thanks bhickey.
    I made a the bitdefender cd, true enough it ran from the CD and I was able to remove the autorun.inf files from both C and D drive. It did alot of damage to the registry most of the administration functions are still unavailable. The windows installer is bunched, it won't allow any anti-virus to install, if it manages to install it de-activates all protection.
    Tis' a right nuisance.
    I've given so much time at this stage I think I might buy an OEM version of XP, and do a complete re-build.

Thanks very much for your time I do appreciate it.

Happy New Year

Advertisement