Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking Lease agreement on apartment.

Options
  • 08-01-2011 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi Folks,

Just moved to Belfast in December and made a big mistake by rushing into renting an apartment. Realised its too noisy after I moved in. I want to break the rental agreement, don't mind losing my deposit.

Is it possible though? The agreement is for an year... :-(

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Generally (without seeing the specifics of your lease) as it's fixed term (i.e. from 1 Jan one year to 31 Dec or somesuch) the landlord can pursue you for the rent due for the remainder of the lease if you break it early. For example if you left after two months they could, hypothetically, come after you for the remaining ten months rent.

However, landlords can be reasonable people! Your landlord may let you out of the lease now or may be willing to let you break the lease once a replacement tenant is found (either by you or the landlord). Your best bet is to approach the landlord and explain your situation. Your local citizen's advice centre will also be able to provide advice for what happens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

A major difference between renting here and in the south is that in NI the majority of lettings are through agents and require guarantors - in RoI (in my experience) a lot of lettings are private and so the guarantor thing is pretty rare, in which case if you were prepared to forego your deposit you were able to walk away.

If your lease has a guarantor, if you walk away from a lease without reaching agreement with your landlord then (feel free to correct me) your guarantor will be liable for the rent for the outstanding duration of the lease, or whatever other provision is made for in the lease.

First port of call is definitely your landlord or his agent. Can't be that uncommon an occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

+1 on the advice on going to the CAB. If there is an noise issue you might be able to claim the property is not fit for purpose.

However, keep your powder dry in respect to that. The landlord might be easy to deal with but the cab can offer professional advice.

Where abouts are you renting, Botanic or Falls?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Did ya get sorted here?

Advertisement