Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongoing issue with Airtricity!

Options
  • 08-01-2011 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

Hope this is in the right place....

About 1 year ago I moved out of a rented place from which I had been the airtricity account owner for 2 months. Arranged to have another housemate to take over the account when I left but they never bothered so I ended up getting bills. Contacted the landlord and got no reply...

2/3 months of e-mails with airtricity followed and they finally said that the account was closed and that I was no longer responsible for paying the bill at the house (they said they would send out a notice to say someone else had to take over the account or they would be cut off - which at that point I couldn't care less about as I had moved on!).

Today I received another e-mail (3 months after the email saying I was no longer responsible for the account) that their was a bill overdue!

I contacted them and asked them to please stop sending me bills as the account was meant to be closed and that if the issue was not resolved within 5 business days then I would be strongly seeking legal advice.

Any comments / thoughts on what I should do? I don't want to end up with a bad credit rating or anything, haven't lived in the place for a year now!! Feck sake :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

When Airtricity closed the account in your name there was still money owed on the account, is that correct? If so, regardless of whether you lived in the house or anything like that most utility companies will still hold you responsible for the money as long as your name was on the bill and in my experience they are not very accommodating in this matter, unless you can come to some agreement with the tenants that were in the house when your name was still on the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

When Airtricity closed the account in your name there was still money owed on the account, is that correct?

No that is not correct, they would not close the account until the final bill was paid (I sent the bill to the old house and they paid it a few days later). I then got an e-mail from airtricity saying the account was closed and I was no longer liable for electricity usage at that address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

kingtut wrote: »
    No that is not correct, they would not close the account until the final bill was paid (I sent the bill to the old house and they paid it a few days later). I then got an e-mail from airtricity saying the account was closed and I was no longer liable for electricity usage at that address.

Ah okay, I thought there was still money owed on the account when it was still in your name. Once you are sure that the bills in your name were paid I would indeed engage the services of a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

I would not engage with or waste my breath on Airtricity I would forward all my correspondence to CER and let them handle the matter.
    Assuming you are correct in all you say this is outragous and the appropriate regulator needs to be keep appraised of this type of "Customer Service"
    Its also Free:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Catalpa1 wrote: »
    I would not engage with or waste my breath on Airtricity I would forward all my correspondence to CER and let them handle the matter.
    Assuming you are correct in all you say this is outragous and the appropriate regulator needs to be keep appraised of this type of "Customer Service"
    Its also Free:D

I totally agree with Catalpa1 here. They sent you a letter saying the account was closed and you were no longer liable. Your in the clear, if the tenants dont sort it out they will be disconected and thats their fault not yours. The CER is brilliant for stuff like this and you should tell them whats going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

CER won't open a complaint until you lodge an official complaint with Airtricity. CER will ask you for the Airtricity complaint reference number (mandatory) and the name of the person in Airtricity (optional) who was dealing with your case.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kingtut, am I right in saying your name is NOT on the account anymore?

If thats the case then they have breached the Data Protection Act by sending details to a non-account holder. You may want to mention this to them and say you'll be taking it up with the information commissioner if they continue.

In addition to this ask them to explain why their records are incorrect as they've previously told you the account was closed with no debt, incorrect personal information like this (saying you have a debt when you don't) also falls under Data Protection.

Advertisement