Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FÁS Courses

• 08-01-2011 5:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right section to put this in but I couldn't find anything on Fás courses. I was just wondering are any of their courses any good? Has anyone done them? I was looking to do a web design course with them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Yea did one in the past by one was quite good if you are focused you should get a job out of it with the work experience section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rojak

im doing a childcare fetac level 5 course with fas at the moment and i love it. They really help and try to get you as far as you can go with it, hopefully il be doing a level 6 after i finish this course!

go for it if you have the chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Complete waste of time for me. The woman in charge of us would do some work for an hour or two and then we would be left on the internet for the rest of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

I did a programming course there and thought it was great, bit like the above we got an hour or two of tuition in the morning and the rest of the day was for doing class exercises, it was up to yourself if you wanted to do them or not, they way I felt about is; you get out of it what you put into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

Ok so 3 good reviews and 1 bad, that's positive so I shall go for it. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rojak

Dean820 wrote: »
    Complete waste of time for me. The woman in charge of us would do some work for an hour or two and then we would be left on the internet for the rest of the day.

Really?? thats hardly fair is it? i mean if your there to do a course your obviously looking to get something out of it. Depends on the tutor I'd say......like anything sure!

my tutor is really nice and helpful and i couldnt fault her. She really motivates us to work and does a lot of group activities so you dont really get the chance to doss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Yellow121 wrote: »
    Ok so 3 good reviews and 1 bad, that's positive so I shall go for it. Thanks.

The training is good, I know that they might of got a bit of bad press of late but if you are focused focused yes I said that twice, it does work. The important thing is to use the course to gain a job or to enter a collage and up grade.

Go for it, their is to much bad press in this country about this country their are opportunities out their "if you do the right course".

Good Luck ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

rojak wrote: »
    Really?? thats hardly fair is it? i mean if your there to do a course your obviously looking to get something out of it. Depends on the tutor I'd say......like anything sure!

I saw first hand at the time what a waste of money FAS was. I passed the exams and all that at the time but still, my time there left a bad impression of how things were run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Guys,

I am going to piggyback on this so apologies. I did 4 years as apprentice electrician starting in 1995 in Fás wexford and finished the course qualified in 99.

Problem is I never got any papers. How do I prove my qualification as I have never needed them before.

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Guys,

I am going to piggyback on this so apologies. I did 4 years as apprentice electrician starting in 1995 in Fás wexford and finished the course qualified in 99.

Problem is I never got any papers. How do I prove my qualification as I have never needed them before.
    Have you tried phoning the Wexford training centre? I'm sure they have a academic / curriculum office that keep all those records and will act as a reference if the employer (or who ever) needs proof of qualification.

• Advertisement

Wexford was/is an outpost of Waterford. On that course, I ended up in IT's in Waterford, Cork and Limerick and did exams all over the place. I asked years ago in Waterford and they hadnt a clue so I left it. I remember having a little red book at the time with a record in it and God only knows where that is gone now!

jeez, that's a mess al right, the only other thing I would suggest is maybe trying the electrical forum, surely there would be someone there who was in a similar predicament.

Trekmad wrote: »
    jeez, that's a mess al right, the only other thing I would suggest is maybe trying the electrical forum, surely there would be someone there who was in a similar predicament.

I'll try find that, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

I've done two and they were well worth doing, I had previously studied accounting in college but didn't cover an accounting package - this was covered in FAS, plus the know how of what to do, it was good to get a refresher.

Advertisement