Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambulance Stolen

Options
  • 08-01-2011 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

Oh dear...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0108/dublin.html
    Gardaí are investigating the theft of an ambulance during a call-out in Dublin this morning.

A woman and a teenage girl were arrested after an ambulance was stolen from outside a flat complex in Dublin city in the early hours of this morning.
    The ambulance had been called to a flat at Rory O'Connor House at 3am.
    It was stolen while the ambulance crew were inside treating an elderly lady.
    A short time later, uniformed gardaí saw the ambulance being driven on Great Charles Street with its blue lights flashing.
    It stopped and a 27-year-old woman and a 16-year-old girl jumped out and tried to run away.
    Another woman tried to stop gardaí arresting them, but they were detained and taken to Store Street Station.
    The girl was released at 6am and a file will be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions. The woman is still being questioned at Store Street.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

glad it wasn't damaged,hope the the silly bint get a couple of years inside for "re-education"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

this is why the ambulances are fitted with the run lock system, as briefly discussed on this forum before.
    this allows the vehicle to be kept running while the keys are taken out, until an attempt to drive the vehicle away, then it cuts out unless the keys are reinstalled, and switched on.

ivabiggon wrote: »
    this is why the ambulances are fitted with the run lock system, as briefly discussed on this forum before.
    this allows the vehicle to be kept running while the keys are taken out, until an attempt to drive the vehicle away, then it cuts out unless the keys are reinstalled, and switched on.

That doesn't make sense.

Surely if that's installed in our ambulances, then the knackerbags wouldn't have been able to drive off in the ambulance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

That doesn't make sense.

Surely if that's installed in our ambulances, then the knackerbags wouldn't have been able to drive off in the ambulance?

private ambulance service provider maybe?? possibly only the state owned assets have it installed maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

That doesn't make sense.

Leave the keys in and then anyone can drive away at their leisure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

punchdrunk wrote: »
    private ambulance service provider maybe?? possibly only the state owned assets have it installed maybe?

not at 3am doing a 999 call?
    it says dfb in the link anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

All DFB CEN ambulances have this facility installed. but it has to be activated....

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭999nobody

ivabiggon wrote: »
    All DFB CEN ambulances have this facility installed. but it has to be activated....

Do the crew activate it or is it a manufacturer / management activation?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

the HSE National Ambulance Service WAS ambos (the KE reg mercs) don't have that no key running facility
    but the rte article did say dfb ambo anyway,

things get stolen around dublin all the time, but when scumbags do something as nasty and brazen as this it still surprises me.
    i hope it was their drug dealer the lads were treating. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

should be an automatic year/2 year sentence for stealing emergency vehicles imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Not the first time, won't be the last :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I cant understand why this still happens given huge advancements in technology. One of my distant friends has a wristwatch that transmits to an electrical ignition receiver that is short circuited behind the steering wheel. So basically, if he doesn't have his key, he just hops into his car (while wearing his watch) and it starts the car automatically.

The only disadvantage is that he cant lock/unlock the car using this method. But for ambulance personnel (especially cardiac/emergency) and law enforcement, time and safety is crucial. I'd imagine it being something they should consider.. But maybe thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

major bill wrote: »
    should be an automatic year/2 year sentence for stealing emergency vehicles imo.
    2 years for stealing an ambulance?? at least 5 years easily I reckon

Dotsey wrote: »
    2 years for stealing an ambulance?? at least 5 years easily I reckon

Manslaughter if they prevent assistance from getting to a dying person. Society would benefit massively from the exclusion of this kind of criminal. They are probably still laughing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Can't understand what kind of scumbag would rob an ambulance. As people have said IMO it should be a minimum of 5 years no probation and if the patient dies due to the ambulance being stolen, manslaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Another ambulance stolen this from outside Portlaoise general hospital. There is an article about it on the front page of this weeks Laois nationalist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

FFS. I don't have enough words to describe how idiotic and selfish that is.
    moose112 wrote: »
    Another ambulance stolen this from outside Portlaoise general hospital. There is an article about it on the front page of this weeks Laois nationalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Grey Beard

That doesn't make sense.

It certainly suggests the crew left the keys in the ignition when they left the vehicle. I don't THINK that's an offence under the RTA, but it's certainly likely to lead to an offensive response from the supervisor! Daft is what I call it - especially as this type of incident has occurred before to DFB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Grey Beard wrote: »
    It certainly suggests the crew left the keys in the ignition when they left the vehicle. I don't THINK that's an offence under the RTA, but it's certainly likely to lead to an offensive response from the supervisor! Daft is what I call it - especially as this type of incident has occurred before to DFB.

Leaving the keys in an ambo isn't daft. It saves a few vital seconds trying to look for those keys again. Do these ambulances have run-lock installed?

What is daft is people stealing an ambulance. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Grey Beard

Seconds in transit, despite much hype, actually do NOT make a life and death difference. No ambulance might!

Whilst I don't disagree about the nastiness/stupidity of stealing the vehicle, it would not have happened without the crew leaving the keys behind. How many seconds did that save?

As I said in my last post - this has happened before. And my understanding of DFB standing orders is that the driver should take the keys with him/her when leaving the vehicle. The reason they have been left in the past with the engine running is that the headlights & blues run down the battery fast if left on with engine stopped. That led to the uncomfortable experience of having an ambulance which couldn't be started and a patient asking "WTF?", but I don't think it's such a problem nowadays.

swiftblade wrote: »
    Leaving the keys in an ambo isn't daft. It saves a few vital seconds trying to look for those keys again. Do these ambulances have run-lock installed?

What is daft is people stealing an ambulance. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

http://breakingnews.ie/archives/2011/0526/ireland/woman-jailed-for-theft-of-ambulance-506534.html
    A mother of two, who stole an ambulance during an emergency call-out in Dublin in January, has been jailed for four months.

Paramedics had left the ambulance at Hardwicke Street in the north inner city, to attend to an elderly woman at around 3am on January 8 last, when it was taken.

Jessica Kavanagh (aged 27), of Sean O’Casey Avenue, in Dublin had pleaded guilty at Dublin District Court earlier to stealing the ambulance, drunken driving and not having motor insurance.

A drink drive test produced a reading of 145mgs of alcohol per 100mls of blood.

Garda Joseph O'Connor had told the court that a Dublin Fire Brigade ambulance was taken from outside Rory O’Connor House as two emergency crew were dealing with an elderly woman.

Garda O’Connor saw the ambulance going towards Sean O’Casey Avenue. He then witnessed the defendant leaving the driver’s side of the ambulance before chasing and arresting her.

At the sentence hearing today, defence solicitor Yvonne Bambury told Judge David McHugh that Kavanagh did not go out often and was not “habituated to consuming that level of alcohol.”

She said the defendant had a history of medical difficulties and suffered from panic attacks, stress and anxiety.

Ms Bambury said her client has two young children and “is very devoted to them.”

She also asked the court to note that Kavanagh, who was employed in a community employment scheme, had also done voluntary work in her area.

The solicitor said she saw her client in garda custody immediately after her arrest and “to say she was distraught would be an understatement.”

The court heard that Kavanagh, who remained silent during the case, had 22 previous convictions which included motoring offences and one drugs charge.

Judge McHugh imposed two concurrent four-month sentences for the drink driving and driving without insurance offences. The remaining charge for stealing the ambulance was taken into consideration.

Kavanagh was also banned from driving for four years.

The judge set bail in the accused's own bond of €300 in the event she intends to appeal the sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

stop wrote: »

Too light in my opinion,I dont really care or accept the excuse of being intoxicated at the time as its likely that no one forced her to consume that level of drink.
    Why is being drunk considered a get out clause in this country?:rolleyes:

Am I reading that correctly that she was only convicted of drink driving and driving without insurance? Stealing the ambulance 'was taken in to consideration'. Does that mean it influenced the sentence but she was not punished for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

It's a bit ridiculous alright. She's clearly a selfish scumbag with little or no regard for life. She should be treated simularly, but sure typical Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

22 previous convictions, robs an ambulance while absolutely twisted and all she gets is four months?

Our legal system is unbelievable. I feel sorry for the members of AGS who have to actually try enforce such ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭stockyboie

Convictions are a joke in our country simply because our prisons are overcrowded and they don't have space to put these people behind bars for long. What we need is some major prison builiding in ireland. I think the Thornton Hall prison complex got scrapped or something so they had to come up with an alternative which means our prisons are still seriously overcrowded.

Also why would someone rob an ambulance? Even a criminal. Makes no sense at all. What is the point. Don't get it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The wench (thats her in my avatar btw) should be put to work in a fire brigade station on her release - I'm sure they've lots of work for idle hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭mediwheel

Most of the HSE ambulances do not have the facility to remove the key and leave the engine running. These ambulances are designed to be left running or else the battery dies, and there is not enough power to operate the tail-lift, also there are no ventilation in the back unless the engine is on to run the air-con.
    Needless to say they were designed by management with the staff on the ground having no input into their design !!

Advertisement