Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stevenage V Newcastle United: FA Cup Round 3: Match Thread - 5:30pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I thought red when I saw it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'd have no complaints if this was 4 or 5 tbh.

Next week will tell us a lot about Pardew and this rag-tag bunch of people masquerading as footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

We have offered absolutely nothing here, brutal in every department. Its not embarrassing its unacceptable and unprofessional. We payed them no respect and are paying the price for our arrogance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

TheProdigy wrote: »
    I'd seriously have to question your knowledge of soccer if your saying thats a blatant red card?

He dived for the ball, he didn't go in two footed his other leg was behind him not even pointed towards the ball. He jumped in to get to the ball first and it was a good challenge, simple as.

Eh you can't just go diving in for the ball! Nor can you launch yourself six inches into the air!

Have a read of the rules on tackling about maintaining control of a challenge and tell me how he could possibly have control when he dived in with both feet six inches of the ground.

Would you be saying the same if he had mistimed it by a fraction and broken the other players leg because that is most likely what would have happened if he had been half a second late.

Getting the ball or not is irrelevant. It is a safety issue for the other player involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

M5 wrote: »
    We have offered absolutely nothing here, brutal in every department. Its not embarrassing its unacceptable and unprofessional. We payed them no respect and are paying the price for our arrogance

I haven't seen our game V Notts County but from what I heard on radio it was the same story for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Burley is right , Holloway is a [EMAIL="tw@t"]tw@t[/EMAIL].

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Disgusted. Absolutely disgusted. Fair play to Stevenage. Playing out of their skin .

Incredible to think that the majority of our team is in our regular starting 11.

Have we created one chance?

Struggling to think mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

ye made one, the goalkeeper got his fingertips to it and put it out for a corner.

• Advertisement

Nope.

As much as Villa Park in 2009 hurt, as much as any of the other countless defeats and non-performances hurt, I am downright ashamed and embarrassed by this display. I really hope those cretins on the field feel the same and react to this against the mackems next week.

Krul does not know how to kick a ball, particularly on lumpy ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Goal!

2-1, ohh I was just going say well done the Stevenage for the old school Cupset.

COME ON!!!

Wow, this will be some travesty if we pull this out of the fire.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Disgusted. Absolutely disgusted. Fair play to Stevenage. Playing out of their skin .

Incredible to think that the majority of our team is in our regular starting 11.

if you dont start a game properly its not easy to get going. Thats what we have seen here. Serious questions need to be asked. I firmly believe our reserves would have beaten these as they may have displayed SOME hunger. Pardew has to explain how we looked so disinterested in the first half. You relax when the game is won, you dont assume you will win and relax anyway.

This could have cost he club millions potentially. Anyone accociated with this should be fined a weeks wages.

Too little to late lads

KEEPER!!!

Glimmer of hope?

Newcastle won't deserve it.

Ah for fcuk sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats that.

HAHA

Nope, it's gone!!!

Wonderful finish.

That is bottle of the highest order. Well done Stevenage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Great move

Well fair play Stevenage. I'll be listening rather carefully to hear Pardews excuses

Nevermind. Just walked right through us. Disgrace.

Well done Stevenage, fully deserved. They wanted it so much more then we did.

• Advertisement

Nice run, pass and finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Bad day for the the North-East overall :pac:

Comical defending. Credit to Stevenage. Well done.

I love the FA Cup :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Didn't see that coming from Newcastle!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Happy that we are out of the cup but not the manner in which we went out. Pardew is a muppet, i think he gave them too much respect. putting 5 in midfield at start of second half and bringing on someone like Tiote with Sunderland next week. He is an idiot, should have played the youngsters and would have been same result. Bring back Hughton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Didnt see that coming, but its not too much of a cupset is it... its not Like Newcastle are a long standing top flight side.

Nice goal by Joey tho...

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Nope.

As much as Villa Park in 2009 hurt, as much as any of the other countless defeats and non-performances hurt, I am downright ashamed and embarrassed by this display. I really hope those cretins on the field feel the same and react to this against the mackems next week.

It'll be an interesting game to say the least.

Both teams ravished by injury, Sunderland looking to make ameds for the 5-1 and Newcastle looking to make amends for tonight.

Paully D wrote: »
    It'll be an interesting game to say the least.

Both teams ravished by injury, Sunderland looking to make ameds for the 5-1 and Newcastle looking to make amends for tonight.

looks like a dead rubber now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Must be so **** if your Joey Barton to score such a screamer, that no-one will ever remember due to the context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

Eh you can't just go diving in for the ball! Nor can you launch yourself six inches into the air!

Have a read of the rules on tackling about maintaining control of a challenge and tell me how he could possibly have control when he dived in with both feet six inches of the ground.

Would you be saying the same if he had mistimed it by a fraction and broken the other players leg because that is most likely what would have happened if he had been half a second late.

Getting the ball or not is irrelevant. It is a safety issue for the other player involved.

Getting the ball is most definitely relevant, that is what constitutes a good tackle, i.e. getting the ball not the man. He dived in with one leg and won the challenge. How is that a bad tackle?

If he had mistimed it I wouldn't be saying the same no because he would have connected with the player instead of the ball, then it would be a bad tackle.

A bit of common sense is needed by the ref there, diving in one legged and winning the ball shouldn't result in a red card, I would give a yellow for studs showing and that would be it. I have seen worse tackles every week from standing challenges/over the top of the ball etc.

I'll leave it there because I am probably dealing with someone who has never kicked a ball and follows a rules book when some common sense is needed. If the rule book was followed as vividly by refs as you do then there would be frees every minute.

NUFC almost as unprofessional as ESPN :o

bazual wrote: »
    Happy that we are out of the cup but not the manner in which we went out. Pardew is a muppet, i think he gave them too much respect. putting 5 in midfield at start of second half and bringing on someone like Tiote with Sunderland next week. He is an idiot, should have played the youngsters and would have been same result. Bring back Hughton.

Please stop posting, there's a good lad.

And just sigh at that wiki article. Some people just have no grace at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think the crowd got to Barton, very poor petulant performance.

Never a red card either.

• Advertisement

Getting the ball is most definitely relevant, that is what constitutes a good tackle, i.e. getting the ball not the man. He dived in with one leg and won the challenge. How is that a bad tackle?

If he had mistimed it I wouldn't be saying the same no because he would have connected with the player instead of the ball, then it would be a bad tackle.

A bit of common sense is needed by the ref there, diving in one legged and winning the ball shouldn't result in a red card, I would give a yellow for studs showing and that would be it. I have seen worse tackles every week from standing challenges/over the top of the ball etc.

I'll leave it there because I am probably dealing with someone who has never kicked a ball and follows a rules book when some common sense is needed. If the rule book was followed as vividly by refs as you do then there would be frees every minute.

I would imagine that will be overturned TBH

Did anyone else notice the Stevenage player get chinned by a fan at the end of the game? :eek:

Getting the ball is most definitely relevant, that is what constitutes a good tackle, i.e. getting the ball not the man.

Says who? You? Just because you have decided it.

Unfortunately that is not how it works. Like it or hate it, the rules say different and that is all that matters. It was a definite red card according to the rules of the game.

Paully D wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice the Stevenage player get chinned by a fan at the end of the game? :eek:

Yeah, WTF was that all about?

dfx- wrote: »
    I think the crowd got to Barton, very poor petulant performance.

Never a red card either.

Hes used to cries of derision from 30/40,000 highly doubt that was the reason TBH! He along with 10 others was well below par

Yeah, WTF was that all about?

Haven't a clue. Was it a Newcastle fan? I can't imagine a Stevenage fan chinning a player who has just helped them pull of one of their greatest ever results, but you never know :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I would imagine that will be overturned TBH

There's no way it will get overturned. It was a definite red. That's football nowadays whether you agree with it or not. You just can't go diving in like that.

monkey9 wrote: »
    There's no way it will get overturned. It was a definite red. That's football nowadays whether you agree with it or not. You just can't go diving in like that.

Time will tell on that one m8!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Please stop posting, there's a good lad.

And just sigh at that wiki article. Some people just have no grace at all.

dunno what your on m8,

Fair play to Stevenage they were hungry and deserved the win. This was a good example to see what the management style of Pardew was like against a supposed lesser team. He got it wrong big time which lets just hope it doesn't happen next week, because the league is what matters.

• Advertisement

Here is a video of the Stevenage player being decked by a fan. WTF :eek:

Advertisement