Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas holidays too long?

Options
  • 08-01-2011 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭

I know most people will think I'm crazy for saying this but I really think the amount of time we get off college at Christmas is crazy :pac:. It's nearly 3 1/2 weeks altogether. January is a fairly boring time to have off anyway unless you have a trip booked or something. I would prefer to come back on the 3rd and start off rather than waiting until the 17th to be honest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

You'd miss it if they took it away :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

You are insane.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

It allows those with part time jobs to earn some money to get them through the semester which is a good enough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 shadowqueen

You'll regret those words when you get to final year...:)

The academics need that time to get everyone's exams corrected and to get externs in to look at them. For anyone with a thesis to write up, it's invaluable time to get a lot of work done without distractions/other work to worry about. It's also a very limited window in which we can finish off any research that needs to be done.....most people that work very hard for their exams, as they should at uni, are glad of the break ;)

And yeah, earning and even just saving a bit of money is another very good reason :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I took two weeks off last Christmas, and that's a lot by QUB postgrad standards. Op, enjoy the five weeks off, read Bob Fisk book of you're really bored, because it's all down hill after the undergrad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Students with part time jobs in retail or maybe hotels and wherever can clock up some full shifts and get some cash together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

well i'm in UCD and we start back to placement on the 10th :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I'd nearly prefer a longer winter break and a shorter summer break, summer's far too long unless you're doing something fun (ie Working in a shít job for four months will make you want to die....).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Fad wrote: »
    (ie Working in a shít job for four months will make you want to die....).

That's life for most people except they are not as dramatic. :p

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    That's life for most people except they are not as dramatic. :p

Ever work in a petrol station that has at one point, quite literally made you want to die? :)

Not fun.....

• Advertisement

ugh i feel your pain Fad, try the one of the poshest hotels in the country.....snobs giving you **** coz their €500 euro champagne isnt cold enough?

it makes me wana die. Gimme boring lectures anyday :D

happy_feet wrote: »
    ugh i feel your pain Fad, try the one of the poshest hotels in the country.....snobs giving you **** coz their €500 euro champagne isnt cold enough?

it makes me wana die. Gimme boring lectures anyday :D

I think it's kinda justified if they're spending serious money on something that they get served it how they want :P

But yeah, summer did nothing but make me appreciate college!

I think it's kinda justified if they're spending serious money on something that they get served it how they want :P

But yeah, summer did nothing but make me appreciate college!

your kind of right, except when they complain about everything :P I wont start my ''i hate my job rant'', we would be here for days tbh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

back to placement on the 10th!! the hols are definitely not too long when you have children that you are dying to spend a bit of time with.
    would love another week off - we are never happy are we?
    the hols are generous though, happy days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

If you are bored you can always start preparing for next semester and get your reading started. I am sure you can find something related to some of the modules that you have enrolled in to keep you busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Agree. Want back in UCD now. It was all fine until my shop closed down now I'm just eating until I get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

started placements on the 4th of Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Winter break = find internship.

Summer break = work internship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

NO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'd nearly prefer a longer winter break and a shorter summer break, summer's far too long unless you're doing something fun (ie Working in a shít job for four months will make you want to die....).

The problem there is that for some people the summer holidays is semester 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭davi78

Although I am dying to get back to college (seriously!) I have appreciated the break. It has given me time to get caught up with a subject that I have been struggling with. I also had the joy of reading for pleasure without feeling like I should have been doing some work. I have also had the time to map out a proper course of action for this coming semester...less mucking about and a more structured study routine to be exact!

I wouldn't necessarily agree that the break is too long, I am sure that it feels longer for some than it does for others. It worked out just right for me though. I'm chomping at the bit to get back now though...I'm not a big fan of waiting around.

Good luck to all those going back next week...may this one be better than the last for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I wish they were longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Xhristy wrote: »

They? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

You don't have two, WeeBushy? o_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Xhristy wrote: »

I'm sure she has two of "something" though ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

El Siglo wrote: »
    read Bob Fisk book of you're really bored

Really, really, REALLY bored...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

You don't have two, WeeBushy? o_o

:(

I always knew there was something wrong with me. I thought those old men on french beaches had a gross growth beside their shlong.

Aaand now I have images of old naked men in my head. The holidays are definitely too long.

Advertisement