Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tamarind Block

Options
  • 08-01-2011 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hello,

I was looking at the Operation Transformation website and one of the recipes on it was for a chicken stirfry with tamarind sauce. The recipe requires a tamarind block - does anyone know where I could get me one of those?

Thanks,

Loopie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

i have got them in tesco in the past.
    when you get it . break it down as much as possible and add water to it and boil it down to a creamy texture then force it through a sieve and you can keep this 'juice' in the your fridge for months and add it to your required dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

Brilliant, thanks for the info godwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

Loopie wrote: »
    Brilliant, thanks for the info godwin.

Forgot to add that you need to throw away all the left over seeds and stringy fibers that remain in the sieve , they aren't of any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Asia Market in Drury Street will have it.

Its a good idea to leave it in water overnight and then squeeze it over a sieve. Then heat up the juices until it is thick, and then use it in your cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Much easier to buy tamarind extract from an Asian shop.
    It contains nothing but tamarind - no nasties - and taste just as good without all the soaking and sieving and messing around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

Most health food shops sell it as well. Use sparingly very strong product..

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

Thanks to everyone for getting back to me on this - think a trip to the Asia Market is in order next week!

Loopie

Advertisement