Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting worried

• 08-01-2011 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

Not looking forward to these mocks at all , feel they will be a joke. Ive studied at times but feel i should be doing more. I know my desired course but im waiting on things to happen instead making them happen myself. Just cant get motiavated. I dont want to be left regretting myself in august, any1 feel the same? Any ideas on how to get really focused?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

C__MC wrote: »
    Not looking forward to these mocks at all , feel they will be a joke. Ive studied at times but feel i should be doing more. I know my desired course but im waiting on things to happen instead making them happen myself. Just cant get motiavated. I dont want to be left regretting myself in august, any1 feel the same? Any ideas on how to get really focused?

DON'T PANIC.. I know you've heard it again and again but the mocks arre NOT important. First of all how many points is your course your looking to do?. You should be aiming within 50 points of what the courses points were last year. You have loads of time between now and the real exams to get focused. And for motivation the best thing I find is that you should ask yourself "Do I want to be in college next year or doing what I am now"

Best of Luck dude/dudette!! :D :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

If you are finding it hard to study, then DON'T set yourself goals of 4 or 5 hours of study again, it's NOT possible. Start out with a simple hour after school. Then work it up to around 3 hours if possible. 3 hours per night is a LOT, teachers are probably talking to you about 5 hours of study per night, its unrealistic, stupid and impossible. Stick with what you are able for.

Spending a good hour revising a topic is much more efficient than spending 4 hours trying to revise a few topics simply because I can guarantee after around 2 hours or less, your concentration will be shot and nothing will 'go in'.

Another thing is DO NOT worry, there is still 6 full months left to study. I would say around 80% of the things I studied and learned were taken in in the last month before the exams.

I wish you well in the Leaving Cert!

I did my leaving cert last year and around mock time i was the same, i went from 245 points to 460 in the real thing.

A common way to get motivated is just sit and think that next year, you don't want to be in the same shoes again, repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Cheers lads. I hope to really start from monday on. Need to because im lookin for about 430 points. That was some transformation , 245 to 460, did you study for your mocks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

I'm having the same problem, find it hard to bet motivated and actually study. What I have found though is that even though I find it really hard to study for even an hour at home in one go, that studying in a study hall on saturdays makes it far easier. I went to tutorial in Limerick for 3 days there last week, and studied for 7 hours each day no bother. I'm gonna start doing that every saturday once school starts up again. I'd highly recommend giving it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

C__MC wrote: »
    Cheers lads. I hope to really start from monday on. Need to because im lookin for about 430 points. That was some transformation , 245 to 460, did you study for your mocks?

Not a tap of study for it.

Are you doing many subjects with projects etc.? Construction Studies, DCG etc.? that could easily bring your grades up.

I did Technology,DCG and Construction Studies and got a B1,B1 and A1 in those three in the real thing.

Projects could easily be worth a lot of points if you do them nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Construction , engineering and history. You must have really knuckled down after the mocks??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

My parents said they'd buy me a car if I got what I wanted. That motivated me, but they never said they'd change their mind if what I wanted was Arts. >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

I'm the same. i'm getting worried now. i did disastrous in my christmas tests, haven't gotten my results yet but i know i did bad. This is a good thing though as it's given me the motivation to start back properly studying from monday onwards. I'd dropped of the old studying in mid november because of family issues then never got back to it really

also this will work for anyone. Think of where you want to be next year and later in life and look on the leaving as a stepping stone to that goal, you'll nuckle down like mad

Advertisement