Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you post a letter anywhere in Dublin on Sat/Sun for delivery on Monday?

Options
  • 08-01-2011 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Niece has her birthday on Monday so I want to send her a card, we both live in Dublin. I looked at several post boxes in my neighbourhood, including one outside my local post office, they are only collected Mon-Fri, can I post the letter anywhere in Dublin at the weekend to get it into the Monday morning delivery?

I searched high and low on the An Post website but there's no information to answer my question.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There are no collections at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

coylemj wrote: »
    Niece has her birthday on Monday so I want to send her a card, we both live in Dublin. I looked at several post boxes in my neighbourhood, including one outside my local post office, they are only collected Mon-Fri, can I post the letter anywhere in Dublin at the weekend to get it into the Monday morning delivery?

I searched high and low on the An Post website but there's no information to answer my question.

If you're willing to travel anywhere in Dublin to post the letter and you both live in Dublin, why don't you just deliver it yourself? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you're willing to travel anywhere in Dublin to post the letter and you both live in Dublin, why don't you just deliver it yourself? :confused:

I can travel anywhere in Dublin on Saturday or Sunday but not on Monday as I'll be at work..... any more suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Time was you could post your letter at the GPO in Cork up to 8pm Sunday night for Monday delivery - or even pop it in the box at the sorting office before 2am Mon for delivery the same day. Now last collection at the sorting office is 7pm Friday (or even earlier). Still, allows An Post to massage their 'delivered on time' figures I guess.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I can travel anywhere in Dublin on Saturday or Sunday but not on Monday as I'll be at work..... any more suggestions?

But sure they will hardly check the post box on Sunday anyway so just do it then? (Or break out of prison ;) )

• Advertisement

Drop it in today and tell her to open it on monday

Thanks for all the replies, the short answer is that there is nowhere you can post a letter on Saturday or Sunday if you want the postman to deliver it on Monday morning.

We Irish are far too nice and diplomatic, sometimes you just have to say 'NO' if it's the right answer which is the case with my query.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Thanks for all the replies, the short answer is that there is nowhere you can post a letter on Saturday or Sunday if you want the postman to deliver it on Monday morning.

We Irish are far too nice and diplomatic, sometimes you just have to say 'NO' if it's the right answer which is the case with my query.

What will you do OP, how will you get a letter to your niece by Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Time was you could post your letter at the GPO in Cork up to 8pm Sunday night for Monday delivery - ......

Effectively now you need to post on a Thursday for a Monday delivery.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Time was you could post your letter at the GPO in Cork up to 8pm Sunday night for Monday delivery - or even pop it in the box at the sorting office before 2am Mon for delivery the same day. Now last collection at the sorting office is 7pm Friday (or even earlier). Still, allows An Post to massage their 'delivered on time' figures I guess.......

You used be able to post in the GPO until 23:00 (night post box) and 23:30 in the Station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

snubbleste wrote: »

flux-capacitor.jpg

snubbleste wrote: »

I'm trying to get the Milk Tray man to do a night time delivery! You probably need to be over 40 to know what this is about.

parsi wrote: »
    You used be able to post in the GPO until 23:00 (night post box) and 23:30 in the Station.

If you lived down the country near a mainline railway station and you knew the time the mail train passed through in the evening you could post a letter in a post box on the side of the mail wagon provided you added a 1/2d stamp to the regular post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Now last collection at the sorting office is 7pm Friday (or even earlier). Still, allows An Post to massage their 'delivered on time' figures I guess.......

Why do some people look for a negative in anything and everything Irish?

If you were arsed to check out the reason for the changes over the years, you'll have found that An Post has one of the most modern and efficient automatic sorting systems in the world.

Yes it means that if you post a letter in Swords for delivery to Drogheda it goes to portlaoise first and then to drogheda, but in 90% of cases it will be delivered the next day - without the aid of postcodes! Can royal mail 1st class service with the aid of postcodes do that??

As for the OP - the only place it may have been possible would have been the post box at the Dublin Mails centre opposite the main entrance to parkwest. (clondalkin)

91011 wrote: »

If you were arsed to check out the reason for the changes over the years, you'll have found that An Post has one of the most modern and efficient automatic sorting systems in the world.

Yes it means that if you post a letter in Swords for delivery to Drogheda it goes to portlaoise first and then to drogheda, but in 90% of cases it will be delivered the next day - without the aid of postcodes!

When I was a lad the latest time for posting in the city of Limerick (and Cork) was 23:30 at the station. The letter got there next day.

Now the latest time of posting is 19:00 out in Little Island without any collections on Saturdays. The letter still gets there next day.

So it's not being negative to point out that An Post requires extra time to provide the same service.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

gbee wrote: »
    Effectively now you need to post on a Thursday for a Monday delivery.

No, if you post on Friday it will be delivered on Monday, provided you post before the collection time on Friday afternoon/evening. The postal sorters come in on Sunday night (effectively Monday morning) to sort the mail for the mail-persons on Monday morning.

KylieWyley wrote: »
    The postal sorters come in on Sunday night (effectively Monday morning) to sort the mail for the mail-persons on Monday morning.

So Postman Pat is now mail-person Pat!

Yes it means that if you post a letter in Swords for delivery to Drogheda it goes to portlaoise first and then to drogheda, but in 90% of cases it will be delivered the next day - without the aid of postcodes! Can royal mail 1st class service with the aid of postcodes do that??

As for the OP - the only place it may have been possible would have been the post box at the Dublin Mails centre opposite the main entrance to parkwest. (clondalkin)
    all this modernisation has only served to make an post LESS efficient than it was 20 years ago (while their charges and staff pay has soared); the "service" is now a lot worse than it used to be. And you kind of miss the point re "next day delivery": anything posted after 7 friday now counts as a letter posted on monday, allowing them to falsely claim that it is delivered "next day" on tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Pay a taxi driver to deliver it Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

I think that your 90% rate quote is a bit optimistic!

http://www.askcomreg.ie/post/measurement_of_an_post_performance.249.LE.asp

Currently around 85% which is way below the 94% required.
    It "might" have one of the most modern and efficient automatic sorting systems in the world but the rest of the systems is far for it :mad:

Edit: For comparison, Royal Mail was running a Cumulative rate of 92.5% for 2009/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The UK is a much larger territory spread over two islands, but generally speaking the Royal Mail has a similar next day delivery rate compared to An Post.

http://www.consumerfocus.org.uk/policy-research/post/background-briefings/royal-mails-standards-of-service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

all this modernisation has only served to make an post LESS efficient than it was 20 years ago (while their charges and staff pay has soared); the "service" is now a lot worse than it used to be. And you kind of miss the point re "next day delivery": anything posted after 7 friday now counts as a letter posted on monday, allowing them to falsely claim that it is delivered "next day" on tuesday.

20 years ago An Post was hopelessy inefficient and cost the tax payer MILLIONS in subsidies.

Yes, if you posted in Dublin 14 at 10pm it was delivered in Dublin 18 the next day - but not if it was going outside Dublin. - In reality how many people have to post an item at 10pm?? - Maybe all regional mail should be held up to please a few poeple who won't change themselves!

Today An Post is seen as one of the most efficient postal systems in the world - if you adhere to to very clearly displayed posting times, you have 90%+ chance of the item being delivered next day into the far corners of the country.

As a business that uses it extensively for parcel & post delivery and someone who has previously used Royal Mail when based in Herts UK, It is a zillion miles ahead of the antiquated system of Royal Mail.

20 years ago An Post was hopelessy inefficient and cost the tax payer MILLIONS in subsidies.

Yes, if you posted in Dublin 14 at 10pm it was delivered in Dublin 18 the next day - but not if it was going outside Dublin. - In reality how many people have to post an item at 10pm?? - Maybe all regional mail should be held up to please a few poeple who won't change themselves!.

What a condescending and patronising post.

Picture this:

1. Post arrives at your home shortly after you depart for work.
    2. It contains a letter requiring a reply,
    3. You arrive home from work at 18:00.
    4. You get around to opening your post and see that a reply is needed.
    5. You draft the reply, address and stamp the envelope and realise that it's a waste because the letter won't be going anywhere until the following day.
    6. A day is wasted in the process.

We've had a disimprovement in service - not an improvement.

Today An Post is seen as one of the most efficient postal systems in the world

By whom, An Post?

OP I hope she got her letter on time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Today An Post is seen as one of the most efficient postal systems in the world - if you adhere to to very clearly displayed posting times, you have 90%+ chance of the item being delivered next day into the far corners of the country.

Maybe your right, depends, what do you define "efficient" as?
    90%+ next day delivery .... simply not true
    As a business that uses it extensively for parcel & post delivery and someone who has previously used Royal Mail when based in Herts UK, It is a zillion miles ahead of the antiquated system of Royal Mail.
    A zillion miles, wow that's impressive:rolleyes:

Yes, if you posted in Dublin 14 at 10pm it was delivered in Dublin 18 the next day - but not if it was going outside Dublin. - In reality how many people have to post an item at 10pm?? - Maybe all regional mail should be held up to please a few poeple who won't change themselves!

Today An Post is seen as one of the most efficient postal systems in the world - if you adhere to to very clearly displayed posting times, you have 90%+ chance of the item being delivered next day into the far corners of the country..

Last time for posting in Cork for delivery on Monday morning:

20 years ago (in fact, even 10 years ago I'd say):
    Monday 02.00 (described by 91011 as "hopelessly inefficient")

This became: Sunday 19.00

Then: Saturday evening.

Now: Friday 19.00 (described by 91011 as "one of the most efficient postal systems in the world").

Now that's progress folks!

And that's before the loss of the 'second' delivery in the afternoon, the fact that millions are STILL paid in subsidies to An Post by taxpayers etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Delivery also seems to be that little bit later in the day as well, at least where I am. So the time taken to actually deliver mail to many addresses is now a minimum of 15 or 16 hours (last collection 7pm, delivery 10pm or 11pm), where it used to be that mail could be delivered in 12 or 13 hours even a few years ago, and before that, it could be delivered in as little as 8 or 9 hours.

For the weekend issue, I don't understand why An Post doesn't stop picking up on Friday nights, and pick up instead on Sunday nights.

Anyway, regular flat mail as a business service is coming to an end. There will be no further investment in the business. Volumes are falling rapidly, worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 power ranger

such slow service and they charge 55cent for it for it to be sent anywhere in the state!
    sounds like a good deal to me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Did she get her 'money card' OP?

• Advertisement
Advertisement