Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL resets on phone call

• 08-01-2011 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi there,

I recently ordered Vodafone at Home broadband. HG556a Modem arrived installed
    it and broadband worked out of the box. However, after a while I noticed
    DSL resets when a phone goes off the hook either to make a call, or an incoming
    call is received.

I am using filters as directed and have tried various setups
    including plugging modem directly into main drop point with just one phone
    connected. I have tried alternative (new) splitters, filters and even
    phones (wired and wireless).

After numerous calls to Vodafone tech support and various troubleshooting
    setups (including upgrade firmware) Vodafone suggested the modem was faulty
    and sent me a new modem. After receiving and installing the new modem today
    though the problem still remains. note. I have phonewatch installed and
    mentioned this to Vodafone tech support but they didnt seem to think that
    was an issue.

Any ideas on what might be causing this or what my next step might be ?

Thanks for all/any help

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The phonewatch could very well be causing a problem if it's hardwired into your phone line and un-filtered. Your first port of call should be to make sure the line is properly split and filtered for your phone alarm given that you've swapped out everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

Thats interesting, i have the very same issue. Tried different phone points, different modems but still the same issue. Connecction drops for 2-3 minutes when the phone is picked up.

I called tech support multiple times but the snotty nosed teenagers keep insisting its a modem issue, even though I have tried two! very frustrating.

Will have to ring them and insist they send out a filter to see if it fixes the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If your DSL connection resets when a phone is picked up, then the problem is with the filters. You need a filter on each and every piece of equipment connected to the phone line. There should also be a filter/splitter on the modem itself. If any of these is missing, or faulty, then that's your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭f0zzy

Thanks. I've tried this but still no go. I disconnected everything in the house bar one phone connected into the modem which has a built in splitter but problem still occurs. The only other piece of equipment hooked in is the
    phonewatch alarm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

f0zzy wrote: »
    Thanks. I've tried this but still no go. I disconnected everything in the house bar one phone connected into the modem which has a built in splitter
    As a matter of interest what make/model is the modem?
    but problem still occurs. The only other piece of equipment hooked in is the
    phonewatch alarm.
    Can you disconnect that? It requires a splitter as it has an analog modem built in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Here is a link to an old thread which may be of use to you. This issue used to come up quite often and I am nearly sure that one of the isps maybe UTC used to refuse to sell dsl where the potential customer had phonewatch.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=183353

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

The HG556a modems have a filter built into the phone ports on them. The HG556a must be connected directly into the phone socket, with no splitter. Any other devices can be connected to either the Phone1/Phone2 sockets on the modem itself (without a filter) or to any other phone points in the house (with a filter). I've noticed that the 556a doesn't work properly or consistently when connected through a filter/splitter.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Ask your provider to log a disconnection fault with eircom and provide 5 or 6 examples of when the issue occured. Your provider is asked to specify to eircom whether or not you have a phone alarm and as such they should specify that you do.

n97 mini wrote: »
    As a matter of interest what make/model is the modem?

Can you disconnect that? It requires a splitter as it has an analog modem built in.

Not easily. The disconnects only occur with phone handset going off hook. There's been no random disconnects due for example to phone watch that I am aware of. Sounds like I need an engineer. Only other question I have is could this be handset related ? Both sets that I've replicated the problem with are uk sets with the uk adapter on them.

Thanks for all the suggestions and pointers so far.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Not easily. The disconnects only occur with phone handset going off hook. There's been no random disconnects due for example to phone watch that I am aware of. Sounds like I need an engineer. Only other question I have is could this be handset related ? Both sets that I've replicated the problem with are uk sets with the uk adapter on them.

Thanks for all the suggestions and pointers so far.

Have you asked Phonewatch for their advice for bb customers?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    Have you asked Phonewatch for their advice for bb customers?

Not yet but plan to. I'll also talk to vodafone again but don't hold much hope there.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

roast wrote: »
    The HG556a modems have a filter built into the phone ports on them. The HG556a must be connected directly into the phone socket, with no splitter. Any other devices can be connected to either the Phone1/Phone2 sockets on the modem itself (without a filter) or to any other phone points in the house (with a filter). I've noticed that the 556a doesn't work properly or consistently when connected through a filter/splitter.

Have to try this when back home :rolleyes: - my connection drops all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Not yet but plan to. I'll also talk to vodafone again but don't hold much hope there.

I would get onto Phone watch first before contacting Vodafone again. Your alarm mightn't be filtered correctly.
    If you changed filters, tried all various setups then it could very well be the exchange not being able to handle both the voice and DSL signal down your line and if that is the case, A fault will need to be logged with Vodafone tech.

First, thanks to all the folks who replied with advice.

Problem solved !

As it turned out the issue was with Phonewatch. An engineer came out
    added a filter to the alarm and since then the issue seems to be resolved.

I now have a problem with vodafone modem HG556a and connecting to Airport Express/Apple TV ... seems the built in firewall is blocking the connection to the AE's .... but thats another story.

Thanks again for all the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

if u have a sky box plugged into the phone line try unpluging it... skyboxes hog a big portion of the phoneline's bandwidth for some wierd reason

also replace your filters

Advertisement