Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some roads need major reconstruction.

Options
  • 08-01-2011 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

A bit off topic this I know ( I might start a thread actually) but I think the roads in Donegal are now so badly damaged by the deep frost that some major stretches will need to be relaid altogether, thankfully most of the main roads seem to be ok apart from the odd massive pothole but the stretch of back-road up to my house is completely destroyed and I mean the muck from about a foot down, which the road is built on, is oozing up through the broken tar layer, its a bit like driving on sand , sometimes you can actually feel the car labouring to get through it.

Although the worst parts are now frozen again just down the road here theres a crater stretching the full width of the road about a foot deep and imediately after that thers a mound about a foot high where the cars have pushed the broken tar into a pile from the hole, and the whole road for about three miles is not much better, I've seen some of this kind of damage before but never on this scale, very serious !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

I mentioned this in another thread some time ago and just wondered if anyone ,like me, thinks that the back-roads of donegal will never recover from this deep frost damage, in some places there seems to be nothing holding up the road except muck !!
    Just down the road from me a huge crater has formed across the road and the cars have pushed the broken tar from the hole into a pile in front of the hole making a sort of ramp about a foot high, It has frozen again this last few nights so hasn't gotten any worse but when the next thaw comes I'd say that the whole road for about three miles will be in similar shape , doesn't bode well for us since apparently there isn't even enough money to fill the potholes let alone build us a new road!!
    I think we should call a state of emergency and get some emergency funding from Europe to fix the damage caused by the frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Post #1 moved from "weather warning/road condition" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

Roads are in tight shape everywhere it seems. You could so easily damage your car or worse hitting one of these potholes if you are not aware of it. My country road at home has been badly damaged. Some potholes have been filled this week I have seen but it doesn't really look a great job to be honest and expect these potholes to reappear fairly quickly. Now not sure if it was the council who done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Apparently the government wont be providing any additional funding for repairs either. It was on the news a few days ago that the funding provided to local authorities for other road projects will have to be used

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

you want to try cycling on them !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Out of curiosity, if you were to damage your car in one of these potholes, would you have a case against the County Council for repairing the damage due to the lack of upkeep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Out of curiosity, if you were to damage your car in one of these potholes, would you have a case against the County Council for repairing the damage due to the lack of upkeep?

Post 7 in this thread should help...

I wouldn't hold you breath on getting any compensation, despite numerous phone calls, and sending them everything they requested (each time i phoned they said, ohh you didn't send this) i got nothing, still being processed supposedly, and the potholes are back and worse than ever in the same place on my road again.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Here's a small example of what I'm on about,

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/252924/142636.jpg

Maybe if the canvassers for the upcoming elections have to negotiate this then they might move a bit quicker , unless your driving a four by four or a tractor then your not going to get across this anyway , maybe if a few co council engineers or a co councillour or two were to lose an exhaust or like a neighbour of mine , half a spring and a busted shock we might see something like the emergency response that will be required,
    There is no road here !! Makes nonsense of the term ROAD tax if you ask me!!
    And in case anyone knows anyone this is the road from Ringsend corner outside Castlefinn to Donneyloop, tomorrow would be good!!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Jesus, that road is very bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

My back road is a disaster, it was the same after the cold spell this time last year, but the council did fix it fairly quickly (about 3 weeks after the last snow), so i'm hopeful it'll be fixed again.
    Its a quite road, so i reckon there might be a councillor living nearby :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement