Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

anti-skid service required volvo s40

Options
  • 08-01-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi
    I've have 2005 2.0D Volvo S40 with "anti-skid service required" showing. NCT is due soon, anyone know if this will be an automatic failure ?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Warning signs don't seem to matter much for the NCT. My car flew through with an engine management light.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,223 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's a fault with the ABS/Traction Control unit, a common problem on the S40 and expensive to fix. I'd be more concerned about the system working properly rather whether it will be noticed by the NCT to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This was asked here before & it does appear to be an expensive fix from what I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭useless

Mine pops up that message every so often. turning off the engine & starting it again gets rid of it, on my S40 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 djmartin

bazz26 wrote: »
    That's a fault with the ABS/Traction Control unit, a common problem on the S40 and expensive to fix. I'd be more concerned about the system working properly rather whether it will be noticed by the NCT to be honest.

Thanks, ABS is working fine. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

djmartin wrote: »
    Is it still showing 'anti-skid service required' or was that a smart arse replie to Bazz26?
    Bazz26 is onto something, the ABS/Traction Control unit can give trouble on these and its quite expensive. I'd get it checked out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its the Abs control unit thats on the way out.

Part number 36001319--I think theyre around the 550 mark + labour + vat.

Sell loads of these things.Taking the battery out and resets the light but 100% guaranteed that it`ll be back on soon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its not you know.If its showing ABS service required then you have a problem.

And it will more than likely fail the NCT with this coming up on it.

Hellrazer wrote: »

Sell loads of these things.Taking the battery out and resets the light but 100% guaranteed that it`ll be back on soon.
    They go on the focus, sure same car really. I think there is a little valve or something in the module/pump that goes on them. Also OP I don't think they can be done at an indy as they have to be programmed.

Did you recently get it serviced?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭CabanasBoy

Anti skid/traction control/ASR/ etc etc all get their data from the same wheel sensors that the ABS does! it could simply be a gummed up wheel sensor from all the grit and salt that has been applied to the roads over the past 6-8 weeks.

CabanasBoy wrote: »
    Anti skid/traction control/ASR/ etc etc all get their data from the same wheel sensors that the ABS does! it could simply be a gummed up wheel sensor from all the grit and salt that has been applied to the roads over the past 6-8 weeks.
    Its a possibility alright but I never seen a sensor fail it was just the module.

Its not you know.If its showing ABS service required then you have a problem.

And it will more than likely fail the NCT with this coming up on it.

No mention of ABS problem. Tested brakes out and ABS seems to be working, no skidding when applying brakes hard.

Thinking of doing the NCT and seeing what they come up with. I've seen another post today where they said the car passed with the "anti-skid service required" message on

Plug wrote: »
    Is it still showing 'anti-skid service required' or was that a smart arse replie to Bazz26?
    Bazz26 is onto something, the ABS/Traction Control unit can give trouble on these and its quite expensive. I'd get it checked out.

It wasn't a smart answer reply, ABS seems fine when pressing brakes hard, no skidding

It wasn't a smart answer reply, ABS seems fine when pressing brakes hard, no skidding
    Ok. Anti-skid, ABS, ESP, they all work under the one module and thats the ABS one. It could be an expensive fix. You might pass the NCT but lets say if the car went out of control with a faulty system, I reckon the 'expensive' repair bill could be priceless as it might save your life someday.

Ok. Anti-skid, ABS, ESP, they all work under the one module and thats the ABS one. It could be an expensive fix. You might pass the NCT but lets say if the car went out of control with a faulty system, I reckon the 'expensive' repair bill could be priceless as it might save your life someday.
    Thanks, I know what you mean. I'm got it checked in to see what the error codes are. Maybe that'll help clarify if it's a sensor or the module itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭CabanasBoy

Its a possibility alright but I never seen a sensor fail it was just the module.

Happened to my car during the recent freezing weather, started the car one morning and had TCS and ABS warning lights on, car had been fine the previous evening when I parked up so I figured it couldn't be too serious. Sure enough, after a spell of brisk driving the warning lights went out and normal service resumed.

No mention of ABS problem. Tested brakes out and ABS seems to be working, no skidding when applying brakes hard.

The problem is lets say progressive..it gets worse over time and the first messag "antiskid service required" is the first warning.Eventually instead of an orange warning light it will turn red meaning its progressed.

Just looked at the sales of the module I mentioned earlier and so far since December Ive sold 8.

Correct price is 518.35 + labour and vat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Wife's car (06 S40) had this issue towards the end of last year (I put a thread up here).

Volvo Dealer did the fix for free (unsure exactly why, might have been warranty) but not until after the NCT, but it passed anyway.

Thanks everyone.

Code on it is 0130, so according to Volvo dealer and from your comments, I will be replacing the unit. Better safe than sorry. Just waiting on price.

Looks like a common fault

Thanks to the posts I know what I should be charged.:)

• Advertisement

Code on it is 0130, so according to Volvo dealer and from your comments, I will be replacing the unit. Better safe than sorry. Just waiting on price.

Looks like a common fault

Thanks to the posts I know what I should be charged.:)

Just make sure its the part number that Ive given you thats being replaced.

This unit comes in two ways.

1.The unit Ive quoted which is the electrics on its own which is what fails.
    or
    2.The unit Ive quoted as an assembly with the hydraulic unit attached to it which is over double the price--actually I think it may be almost 3 times the price.

Let me know what your dealer is quoting you and I`ll see if I can match it or better still beat it for you--Ive looked after a few boardsies over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I reckon the 'expensive' repair bill could be priceless as it might save your life someday.

FUD much? Every car comes with an anti skid system. Its called your brain. Focus on using that and not relying on some electronic wizardry and you'll be OK. I'd venture a guess that if the situation is indeed grave, its well beyond anything "anti skid" can help you with.

I'm not saying dont get it fixed, but at the same time these "oh gawd wont someone think of the children" type posts needs some perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 endamurtagh

I had the same problem with my 07 S40, Brake control module (BCM) failure was the diagnostic result.
    new BCM module fitted and problem cleared for a month, error came back again, and new connector blcok to the BCM fitted.
    Driving now for a few months with no problems.
    I have a full volvo service history, and it happened a few months outside of the dealer warrenty so i argued my case with Volvo ireland and got 50% of the part cost back, and the dealer gave me back the diagnostic fee.
    part was €550, labour and diagnostic brought it up to €875.
    connector block problem afterwards was fixed free of charge by the dealer.

There lovely cars but they can break your wallet and heart

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tkelly121

I have a 07 S40 & just before Christmas when the weather was snowey the anti skid light came on, I brought the car to a recommended Vw/Merc mechanic who said that the front two abs sensors where faulty & needed to be changed & would cost €600. I wasn't convinced & declined to do anything as with it being Christmas I couldn't afford that much money.We only have a new baby & my girlfriend insisted that I get it resolved as she was afraid to drive the car in case something went wrong with the brakes.I booked it into Koping Volvo on the Naas Rd who had serviced the car previously & told them that I didnt want a shock bill at the end of the day & that I only wanted to know what was wrong & the how much it would be to fix it,I didnt mind spending small money to know what was wrong.During the day I did get a "shock" when they called to say that the bmc pump was faulty but Volvo would cover the cost of the repair,wow the car is 18 months outside of its warranty,what a result,the potential cost to me could have been nearly €700,Thank You Volvo, I then had a very nice Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

I have a '08 Volvo S40 and have had a few problems with it. It doesn't bother me too much as it's a company car and the lease company pay for repairs etc. It's a nice car to drive but I'd be disappointed if I shelled out for it personally. I too got this servicing error, amongst others over the last few months. I'm not too sure whether they are related, maybe some of the more knowledgable posters would have a better idea. I've had the car basically cut out on me as I exited my estate, and into 'safe' mode....it gave me minimal power to get back home but if there was a vehicle coming in the opposite direction I'd have been ploughed out of it. The fuel filters/lines(?) were cleaned by main dealer. Shortly afterwards the car was chuggy and felt underpowered...fuel lines cleaned again and all seemed fine. The car would not start a few months ago and had to get AA to jump it. They said a new battery may be needed but there was a serious error code independent of this problem that needed to be fixed by the dealer immediately (error fixed allegedly and new battery fitted). Anti-skid servicing came on in December and the traction control was not functional for a couple of days. I was told by the dealer that 'they don't like the cold...if the message is not gone by the end of the week, drop it in'. The car has had many instances since where the engine has trouble starting......A very frustrating car to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 endamurtagh

The loss of power sounds like a loose turbo pipe, i had the same problem, went to pass out a bus, and all of a sudden it decides to loose power and drop into safe mode for the rest of the journey.
    Dealer diagnosed it as loose turbo pipe never had a problem since with it.

As for a dealer saying they dont like the cold, rubbish i had mine sitting for a week in anything from -5 to -18 and it started no problem, its sweedish how could they not like the cold. there great cars on snow and ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Weissbier

Firstly, I would advise getting this fixed as soon as possible, you are most likely not insured!! Remember the modern car has a computer that logs all the faults, etc.. And the way things are nowadays the insurance companies will have a great excuse not to pay if 'God Forbid' you were in an accident, despite the fact the car still works O.K..

Secondly please reference a UK website:

www.honestjohn.co.uk

This is an excellent website!!!! Print of the details pertaining to your problem, under the section 'What's Bad' for your model. This is a known problem to Volvo on the 2.0D 2004-2007 models, this is when Volvo used a cheaper crappier version of the Brake Control Module Unit (BCMU), they now use a Bosch component. The older component is known to fail with time only irrespective of use, 3-5yrs. Mine failed at 3 yrs old and with only 42K Km on the clock, and I look after my car, etc..

I too was charged approx. €850, the garage said thay would ask Volvo for a good will gesture. I heard nothing, until I chased them on the matter. Volvo then paid for it in full, because I quoted that in the UK Volvo pay between 50% and 100% of the cost of replacement as it is a known fault.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all your advice. Got garage to check with volvo, but they wouldn't cover it. They put in the part number you stated at the price you stated. I hope now that's the end of the costs on this car for a long time.

Thanks for all your advice. Got garage to check with volvo, but they wouldn't cover it. They put in the part number you stated at the price you stated. I hope now that's the end of the costs on this car for a long time.

Did you not get my pm--We get these covered every day of the week.Tried pming you to see if I could help out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chrisr

Hi, i also have a Volvo S40. i recently got it serviced ( not in a Volvo dealer) and a message saying a regular sevice is due on it. how do i remove this message?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement