Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

anti-skid service required volvo s40

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,223 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

chrisr wrote: »
    Hi, i also have a Volvo S40. i recently got it serviced ( not in a Volvo dealer) and a message saying a regular sevice is due on it. how do i remove this message?

1. Turn ignition switch to position I.
    2. Press and hold "tripometer reset button".
    3. Turn ignition to position II.
    4. Continue holding the counter for about 10 seconds.
    5. After Service Reminder Light flashes, release tripometer button.
    6. Should hear "beep-beep" to confirm command accepted

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If I can continue the S40 FAQ theme for a minute, can anyone tell me how to disable the 'seat belt in use in rear' message every time I start up? The babyseat trips it every time. :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

bazz26 wrote: »
    1. Turn ignition switch to position I.
    2. Press and hold "tripometer reset button".
    3. Turn ignition to position II.
    4. Continue holding the counter for about 10 seconds.
    5. After Service Reminder Light flashes, release tripometer button.
    6. Should hear "beep-beep" to confirm command accepted

Bazz--I think its slightly different.

Up to point number 5 its correct but on the later models I think you have to take out key and restart the engine quickly.Its a pain to get the timing right on these.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Tabnabs wrote: »
    If I can continue the S40 FAQ theme for a minute, can anyone tell me how to disable the 'seat belt in use in rear' message every time I start up? The babyseat trips it every time. :(

It has to be turned off through software as far as I can remember.It`ll need a download in a Volvo dealer to turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chrisr

hi, i tried all of the above, again and again but it still saying regular service due. Plus now my miles to tank empty have gone. Can anyone help please

• Advertisement

chrisr wrote: »
    hi, i tried all of the above, again and again but it still saying regular service due. Plus now my miles to tank empty have gone. Can anyone help please

Chris--the service light and miles to empty are 2 totally different things--unless you hit the button on the end of the indicator switch by mistake (info button) which switches between error messages and your normal display.

Either way thye service light is a nightmare to get turned off.It is the procedure bazz listed but is a question of timing it right unless youre doing it everyday its a pain to get right.

Where you based?I could probably do it for you in a few seconds if you were local to me.

i am in north county dublin,

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Chris--the service light and miles to empty are 2 totally different things--unless you hit the button on the end of the indicator switch by mistake (info button) which switches between error messages and your normal display.

Either way thye service light is a nightmare to get turned off.It is the procedure bazz listed but is a question of timing it right unless youre doing it everyday its a pain to get right.

Where you based?I could probably do it for you in a few seconds if you were local to me.

Took me a good attempts before I got when I had my S40.

I got it eventually before i went home last night. But another problem arose. I got my NCT yesterday and all was fine with lights, but when i wnt to put my headlights on on way home they wouldnt stay on. Bit of a coincidence dont you think. Tried everything to get it back working

• Registered Users Posts: 13 donkeydc

more than likely the lights setting is switched to off. headlights wont work in that position

• Advertisement

how do i switch it back?

This is what the headlight switch looks like on the S40, it is located on the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel, next to the driver's door:

Volvo-C70-Headlight-Switch-06-08.jpg

The S40 had daylight running lights which are integrated into the dipped/low beam headlights. So if the dial is switched to 0 the daylight running lights/dipped beam lights are on but disables the high beam setting on the steering wheel stalk. The high beam setting on the steering wheel stalk will now only work for flashing your high beams.

If the dial is set to the next position up then the parking lights come on only. No daylight running or dipped/low beam headlights on.

Third or last position is the dipped/low headlights and this setting also enables the high beam setting on the steering wheel stalk.

A blown bulb should throw up a warning message on the dashboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Was searching the internet for an issue with my '06 S40 and came across this thread. That anti-skid light was flashing for a month or so on the car it was going fine until tonight, on my way home the ABS light, airbag light, battery lights came on also my window would not go back up and when I stopped the car the battery seems to have died all this happened in the space of 30 mins, is this all connected to that anti-skid light should I be very worried about this ie is this going to cost a fortune (I have the car two years so it's not under warranty)? Also I picked a bad weekend to breakdown:(

Carrickman wrote: »
    Was searching the internet for an issue with my '06 S40 and came across this thread. That anti-skid light was flashing for a month or so on the car it was going fine until tonight, on my way home the ABS light, airbag light, battery lights came on also my window would not go back up and when I stopped the car the battery seems to have died all this happened in the space of 30 mins, is this all connected to that anti-skid light should I be very worried about this ie is this going to cost a fortune (I have the car two years so it's not under warranty)? Also I picked a bad weekend to breakdown:(

First thing I would do is check the fuses, also have your battery tested. Electric windows not working would have no direct link to the ABS control unit afaik.

Also as mentioned already in this thread contact Volvo about the "anti skid emergancy service", they seemed to be replacing them as a good will gesture as it is a very common fault.

forgot to mention the first thing that happened was that the "power steering service required" warning came on and I lost power steering which made the trip home worse with the winding roads.

Panic over looks like the alternator is gone.

Carrickman wrote: »
    Panic over looks like the alternator is gone.

Was just going to say that.But Ive been out all day.

Make sure o take the Ford part number off the side of it and order the Ford one.

Ordering Ford over Volvo = over 150 euros saving.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Was just going to say that.But Ive been out all day.

Make sure o take the Ford part number off the side of it and order the Ford one.

Ordering Ford over Volvo = over 150 euros saving.
    The guy who is doing the job is going to get a refurbished one for it he was telling me but if I see him before that I will mention that to him, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Just reading tru this post as i took a 06 S40 1.6 Td for a spin as it was down on power....Got that sorted but while i was on the road the arse of the car started to wobble from side to side...:eek::eek:..then it was fine..driving perfect for the rest of the trip....:confused:
    I'm thinking it has to be traction control related as it was as if it was braking on the ...rear left..rear right...rear left..rear right etc
    No warnings up on the dash only a (!) sign....is this an engine or abs warning..??

Just wondering if any of ye Volvo owners/tecs have came across this before....??
    Thanks in advance...:)
    Ron.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 raz0r19

Hi folks,

I know I'm bumping an oldish thread here but wondering if anyone can help with a problem I'm having.

2005 S40 2.0 Diesel.
    As I pull off & go through gears I sometimes get a Traction control light flashing on dash & car begins to slow.
    Lifting off accelerator for a sec solves issue & warning light clears & car behaves as normal.
    Also, I have 140k on clock & was planning on getting Timing Belt done shortly. Should I have clutch done as well??
    Any ideas of price?

Thanks in advance for any help.

raz0r

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 endamurtagh

Unless your tires are bald and the roads are wet, that shudnt be happening.
    I had an over sensitive traction control system, had to get it plugged in at a volvo dealer, they turned it down a notch. it was still under warrenty at the time so cant give you a price.
    it also could be the start of the dreaded "ABS service required" alarm if it is your looking at €850-900 to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 raz0r19

Unless your tires are bald and the roads are wet, that shudnt be happening.
    I had an over sensitive traction control system, had to get it plugged in at a volvo dealer, they turned it down a notch. it was still under warrenty at the time so cant give you a price.
    it also could be the start of the dreaded "ABS service required" alarm if it is your looking at €850-900 to sort it out.

Thanks for speedy reply.
    Going to have local mechanic do timing belt etc.
    If he can't do anything with it then I'll have Koping take a look.
    Looks like I'll have to live with it until I get funds together for that €800/900 bill. :(

Cheers
    Razor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Poppy2

Just came across this thread and thought i'd let you know that I have this message on my 2007 volvo S40 too "anti skid service required". So, I rang my nearest volvo dealer about it and they did a check for me and said volvo would cover the cost of fixing this problem for me as it was still under warranty. The price of repair would have cost me €1350 otherwise. It's worth checking this out my car is 4 years old now so I was surprised to say the least and delighted too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ryangordon86

Poppy2 wrote: »
    Just came across this thread and thought i'd let you know that I have this message on my 2007 volvo S40 too "anti skid service required". So, I rang my nearest volvo dealer about it and they did a check for me and said volvo would cover the cost of fixing this problem for me as it was still under warranty. The price of repair would have cost me €1350 otherwise. It's worth checking this out my car is 4 years old now so I was surprised to say the least and delighted too:D

Hi, if anyone requires one of these ABS pumps, I have a good number of them available at £420 each. I am registered trader on the volvoforums.org.uk and can be contacted via that forum or ryangordon86@hotmail.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Lads ye can buy the valve block septate from Ford now. I think they are €160 quid. Its a pressure valve in the block that gives trouble in these most of the time. You just stick the old abs module onto the block and hey presto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Paudie34

Hi ,

I have had similar trouble with my 2005 volvo S40 2.0DSE.

Than anti skid service required started to come on. It progressed then to the whole car loosing power, wipers, indicators coming on and the trip and rev counter wouldn't work. All this happened at the same time. I would have to pull in and turn on and off ignition for a while and eventually it would come around.

It generally happens in cold damp weather. From reading posts I got the battery checked and it was fine. I also got the wheel sensor cleaned. The mechanic said he could only get at the back or front senors only. Can't remember which ones.

This car has drained my pocket since i got it.
    Alternator went, Fuel filter, clutch is going with 12months.

Has anyone had similar relating to anti skid? The safe mode of loosing power is dangerous. I am not convinced the warning message is accurate as the wipers, indicators and rev counter stops working when it goes into the safe slow mode???

Any ideas?

Its all related to your 'anti skid service required"message. Its a common problem with all S40s up to the end of 2007.
    mine occurred just outside of warranty and when i was charged 980 to fix it, Volvo Ireland got a nice letter of complaint, and in fairness they paid for half it. A week later i had the exact problem your describing. the wiring loom to the replaced brake control unit was also faulty and was replaced also, free of charge.
    Your gonna have to bite the bullet on the Brake control unit, but make sure they check or replace the wiring loom to it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Paudie34

Thanks for the repy

I have seen varied responses from people. Some say they got it fully covered and others saying that 50% covered. I used to do main dealer, but like some of the previous posts I got sick of paying big money for simple service.

I believe it is a componant fault, so the fact I haven't had a main dealer look at it shouldn't matter.

I swear I will never buy a volvo again. I have more money pumped into the car, I wonder why i didn't get a workhorse of a toyota avensis or something.

I drove the whole summer without a single problem.

I also had exhaust problems. Seems like these cars fall apart??

I hear ya, there lovely cars but i would find it very hard to buy another one. i sold my avensis for the Volvo.
    i have a complete volvo service history, thankfully the brake thing was my only major fault. I had a vampire alarm system as well, once it got dark or if i covered the windows the alarm would go off another 300 euro. my local volvo dealer has KIAs the other side of the show room at least they have a decent warrenty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 cinders44

bazz26 wrote: »
    First thing I would do is check the fuses, also have your battery tested. Electric windows not working would have no direct link to the ABS control unit afaik.

Also as mentioned already in this thread contact Volvo about the "anti skid emergancy service", they seemed to be replacing them as a good will gesture as it is a very common fault.

your problem is your alternator there is a label on it which is white if it is brown your alternator has shorted out it flattens your battery also your power steering is electric powered alternator should cost £117 plus vat if you are mechanical minded you can fit it in hour and a half take bolts out of air con compressor just the 4 bolts dont loosen pipes let it hang on them you get at the rear bolts on alternator only loosen rear two as there are tapered inserts remove front bolts alternator goes down to remove it remember to remove electrical conections

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement