Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM CINEMA LIMERICK GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Was here tonight to see True Grit, which was a great film and I'd highly recommend seeing it if you haven't already.

My dad was told as we went in that the theatre may be a bit chilly, but I found it as warm as any normal room. Sound quality was great, the nature of the film meant that it wasn't going to be overly loud anyway. They even left my 18 year old brother off as an u.14 :P (truth be told, he could still pass it off)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭stevethewraith

I love the way they warn you that it'll be cold but they don't seem to be trying to fix the problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

had to see X-Men First Class in there Wednesday night as it wasnt on in the Omniplex for some reason, last time I'll ever go to Storm. was at the 8.15 showing and the projection was godawful, kept jumping aspect ratio at the beginning, the ads started and there was no sound, the lights came back on, and the movie looked like someone had smeared vaseline all over the projectors lense the whole way though and there no was no surround sound it was all front facing, appalling way to show a movie, and one of the biggest of the summer in a small screen, was absolutely packed and like a sweat box at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

krudler wrote: »
    had to see X-Men First Class in there Wednesday night as it wasnt on in the Omniplex for some reason, last time I'll ever go to Storm. was at the 8.15 showing and the projection was godawful, kept jumping aspect ratio at the beginning, the ads started and there was no sound, the lights came back on, and the movie looked like someone had smeared vaseline all over the projectors lense the whole way though and there no was no surround sound it was all front facing, appalling way to show a movie, and one of the biggest of the summer in a small screen, was absolutely packed and like a sweat box at the end.
    what screen was it at, so we know to avoid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

THATS LIMERICK CITAYYYYY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,524 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I heard someone bitching about Storm on The Right Hook on Newstalk during the week.
    The texter went to the cinema a few weeks ago, and Pirates 4 was on in 4 of the 8 screens.

The whole point of multiplexes is variety!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

I must be the exception because eventho we have had one or two issues with Storm anytime i've complained i've gotten complimentary tickets and an apology.

I will say tho that I went to the Omniplex for the first time in yrs last week and I found they are way btr than storm now not only for pricing but the cinema was cleaner etc.

phill106 wrote: »
    what screen was it at, so we know to avoid?

6, the only ones worth seeing movies in are 1,2 and 5, the rest are crap, when I saw Pirates 4 it looked fine, no issues at all with it, the Omniplex's standards are far higher recently, and the 4 quid midweek tickets are a real plus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Mr E wrote: »
    I heard someone bitching about Storm on The Right Hook on Newstalk during the week.
    The texter went to the cinema a few weeks ago, and Pirates 4 was on in 4 of the 8 screens.

The whole point of multiplexes is variety!
    I heard the other day that there's talk of an independent cinema opening in Limerick soon. It's about time. There's nowhere showing stuff like Senna or the Apocalypse Now rerelease or any classic films for that matter.
    Storm used to show old films every so often (albeit with zero advertising) but they seemed to have stopped that.

Do they really have to have to have multiple versions of Pirates, XMen and Hangover II running simultaneously?

KerranJast wrote: »
    I heard the other day that there's talk of an independent cinema opening in Limerick soon. It's about time. There's nowhere showing stuff like Senna or the Apocalypse Now rerelease or any classic films for that matter.
    Storm used to show old films every so often (albeit with zero advertising) but they seemed to have stopped that.

Do they really have to have to have multiple versions of Pirates, XMen and Hangover II running simultaneously?

I would LOVE a small cinema in Limerick showing indie and classic movies, the Screen cinema in Dublin shows classics all the time, theres a thread about it over in the film forum. Aliens is on there this month, ALIENS! I'd kill to see that on a big screen

I simply cant understand why Storm dont take more pride in how they show movies, you're paying for the presentation just as much as the film itself, its the reason you go to the movies, to see films in the best possible way. no wonder people are downloading more movies off the net more than ever if the dvd rip you can get in a few weeks is better quality than what your local multiplex is showing. I'd rather watch a movie on my tv in my room on a decent pair of headphones than in Storm these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I would LOVE a small cinema in Limerick showing indie and classic movies, the Screen cinema in Dublin shows classics all the time, theres a thread about it over in the film forum. Aliens is on there this month, ALIENS! I'd kill to see that on a big screen

I simply cant understand why Storm dont take more pride in how they show movies, you're paying for the presentation just as much as the film itself, its the reason you go to the movies, to see films in the best possible way. no wonder people are downloading more movies off the net more than ever if the dvd rip you can get in a few weeks is better quality than what your local multiplex is showing. I'd rather watch a movie on my tv in my room on a decent pair of headphones than in Storm these days.

i couldnt agree more.i wonder if it would make money in limerick.as in dublin is a much bigger population and more people would go.seeing the exorcist on the big screen or halloween or the abyss god there are so many id love to see lol

and surely it wouldnt cost much for storm just to stick in an old classic on a small screen every week.

Went to see Bridesmaids today & while the movie wasn't great (not storms fault) the state of the cinema was.

The floors were sticky, the sound dodgy & they played more ads than trailers. Didn't get a chance to talk to a manager before i left but I'm going to fire off an email complaining in a min.

I've always said they're good & that I was always haoppy with the shows out there but today was just soo bad. I won't be rushing back

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Green Dog

Went to see Bridesmaids on Sunday, the place was smelly, and they showed 3 of the ads twice. Also mad at myself for not bringing in a drink with me, had to buy a bottle of water so expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

Dont go to Storm anymore, it used to be my choice ahead of Omniplex but then it got Cold,Sticky,Dirty.... Plus €4 tkt for Omni with O2 treats cant be beaten :)

Storm isn't cold anymore, its too warm now!
    Went to see transformers the other night and was sweatin in there (screen 4)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

25 euro for 2 tickets to Transformers 3D and the girl at the counter was pretty rude too. Did they pass on the VAT reduction at all?

I'm not too sure on that one actually. When i was there yesterday they had signs up bout things being 20% cheaper but looked like they were special offers for during the day not the VAT reduction.

It was €7.80 for the ticket to see the movie & 3D films are dearer than normal ones!!! Don't really get why but they are.

I sent an email to Customer Services on their website last nite complaining bout my trip there yesterday. Will let ye know if i even get a reply back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Did I see that the omniplex is €8.50 now? Used to be €9.00. Not much off but its something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Jofspring wrote: »
    Did I see that the omniplex is €8.50 now? Used to be €9.00. Not much off but its something.

Still a shocking price to watch a movie.should be 6 euro max for a 3d showing:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

The whole novelty of going to the Cinema has been ruined by a combination of uncommited staff and the whole Hi-Def phenomenon. No-one wants to go to a cinema and have the movie experience ruined by substandard projectionists and uncaring staff if they can enjoy the movie at home on a 50-gazillion inch TV with 40.1 surround ball-crushing sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Still a shocking price to watch a movie.should be 6 euro max for a 3d showing:(

Ya I agree with you. Cinemas are still doing very well at those prices though so there is no way they'd come down more. If there is a decent enough film out people will go watch it even at the current prices.

Its the cost of food that gets me. Its not like they need to subsidise because of cheap entry by screwing you for food. The entry is expensive and so is the food.

On average for two people to go to the cinema on lets say a Friday night you are talking the bones of €30-€40. I've found myself renting a lot more dvds. 2 dvds, 2 nights a popcorn and two drinks for €10 can't be beaten.

roast wrote: »
    The whole novelty of going to the Cinema has been ruined by a combination of uncommited staff and the whole Hi-Def phenomenon. No-one wants to go to a cinema and have the movie experience ruined by substandard projectionists and uncaring staff if they can enjoy the movie at home on a 50-gazillion inch TV with 40.1 surround ball-crushing sound.

this, the fact that even pirated movies are better quality than whats in our cinemas is shocking. I've gone to the cinema in the UK and US and the difference is staggering, there its a proper cinema experience. I saw a digital print of 300 in a THX cinema in Canada and it was stunning looking.

why dont the Storm staff wear shirts and dickie bows anymore? always liked that gave it an old school cinema approach.

this, the fact that even pirated movies are better quality than whats in our cinemas is shocking. I've gone to the cinema in the UK and US and the difference is staggering, there its a proper cinema experience. I saw a digital print of 300 in a THX cinema in Canada and it was stunning looking.

why dont the Storm staff wear shirts and dickie bows anymore? always liked that gave it an old school cinema approach.

They also have movie names under their names, whats that about?

phill106 wrote: »
    They also have movie names under their names, whats that about?

I think its their favourite movies, I went a bit doe eyes over the girl with Cinema Paradiso over hers (who's an absolute hottie as well) and sniggered at the one with Save The Last Dance on her badge :pac:

not really, movie snobbery sucks kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

What i miss from the US is the free refils i mean most times at a flick im out of popcorn after the trailers :(

Was in the cinema twice in America & have to agree it is a totally different exp to here, sooo much better.

Don't no if that cinema did free refills but that wud be nice tho at least compared with here when the food costs you nearly as much as the tickets for the movie.

My OH loves to get popcorn & drink in the cinema & we had to stop doing that as it was making the cost of going to the movies v expensive.
    I sent an email to Customer Services on their website last nite complaining bout my trip there yesterday. Will let ye know if i even get a reply back.

I got an email back today telling me that my complaint has been passed to the relevant manager. Will wait & c what they say to me & will let ye know

kiersm wrote: »
    Was in the cinema twice in America & have to agree it is a totally different exp to here, sooo much better.

Don't no if that cinema did free refills but that wud be nice tho at least compared with here when the food costs you nearly as much as the tickets for the movie.

My OH loves to get popcorn & drink in the cinema & we had to stop doing that as it was making the cost of going to the movies v expensive.

I got an email back today telling me that my complaint has been passed to the relevant manager. Will wait & c what they say to me & will let ye know
    I sent one a few days ago and got 3 of those auto responses so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Bought two tickets for harry potter pt2 3D next thurs night,€18.99 for the two and they are showing harry potter part 1 free that night first,pretty good offer :) Will be bringing a bag of snacks from home though!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

angelll wrote: »
    Bought two tickets for harry potter pt2 3D next thurs night,€18.99 for the two and they are showing harry potter part 1 free that night first,pretty good offer :) Will be bringing a bag of snacks from home though!

Did u have to ring up to get that deal? What time is part 1 at? Sounds like a good deal so might book that too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Few of the family members went for that too, excellent deal, considering the price of cinema tickets atm.

'Arry isn't my cup of tea though :P

Advertisement