Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM CINEMA LIMERICK GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ffs, neither Storm nor the Omniplex are showing The Tree Of Life, yet there'll be 5 or 6 screens dedicated to Harry Potter and Transformers. I like my summer blockbusters as much as the next person but its a crying shame nowhere outside of Dublin is showing something that requires a bit more thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

krudler wrote: »
    ffs, neither Storm nor the Omniplex are showing The Tree Of Life, yet there'll be 5 or 6 screens dedicated to Harry Potter and Transformers. I like my summer blockbusters as much as the next person but its a crying shame nowhere outside of Dublin is showing something that requires a bit more thought.

The opening hour of that is meant to be brilliant. Taking in the big bang through to the dinosaurs then right up to 1950's America.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Nearly positive it's booked out,sorry! Tried to get an extra ticket for my friend the day after i booked and the times didn't come up on the booking line at all. Maybe ring storm and ask them to let you know if there are any cancellations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

krudler wrote: »

its listed as opening on july 7th in Storm. you cant book online for it but try ringing to see if they are showing it. it looks class alright

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭LadFromLimerick

Hi all,
    Went to Storm this weekend for the first time in a while. Was dissappointed to learn that, despite charging a whopping €9.80 per adult ticket, they had decided not to apply the recent VAT reduction to their their pricing. They've decided to pocket the difference themselves instead! I raised this with the Duty Manager but was fobbed off (we have no control over the pricing locally etc...).
    Does this kind of s**t piss anyone else off? I'm voting mith my feet anyways, on a point of priciple I will not be returing to Storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Hi all,
    Went to Storm this weekend for the first time in a while. Was dissappointed to learn that, despite charging a whopping €9.80 per adult ticket, they had decided not to apply the recent VAT reduction to their their pricing. They've decided to pocket the difference themselves instead! I raised this with the Duty Manager but was fobbed off (we have no control over the pricing locally etc...).
    Does this kind of s**t piss anyone else off? I'm voting mith my feet anyways, on a point of priciple I will not be returing to Storm.

Interesting, I got a reply back from storm. Anyone know the prices pre-vat change?

Dear Phillip,
    We have received your email regarding the VAT reduction, please see notes below regarding our position on this,

UCI Storm can confirm that in light of changes to the VAT rate across Ireland, it has reviewed all box office prices across the UCI Storm group. The price changes came into effect on Friday 24th June.

UCI Storm is committed to providing a fantastic cinema experience that is great value for money. As such, UCI Storm has also introduced a Teen ticket* as part of its pricing review.

UCI Storm will also continue to offer a range of promotions, value offers and reduced price concessionary tickets across all of its cinemas**.

Guests can find more information on ticket pricing on the UCI and Storm websites (www.uci.ie / www.stormcinemas.ie) or via the UCI Storm Filmline on 1520 88 00 00

Regards

*Managers name removed by me*

General Manager

Storm Cinema

Limerick

Icky Thump wrote: »
    its listed as opening on july 7th in Storm. you cant book online for it but try ringing to see if they are showing it. it looks class alright

Ill be passing later might drop in and ask em. be cool if they do show it its a pity more arty movies hardly ever get shown, yet Big Mommas House 3 will be full on opening night, go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Rooney1234

Was in Storm last week..... Def improving!! Not as cold! Think there is a new manager in there..

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sophie22

I know storm is generally a better cinema than the omniplex but I was there on friday night and could not find fault with the place and they have passed on the vat reducation- €6.20 for a student ticket very reasonable in my opinion for a cinema ticket:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

I got a reply from storm bout the state of the cinema when i went to see Bridesmaids last week & there is a new manager there at least thats what he said in the email & they're supposed to be cleaning up the place in the nxt couple of weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,524 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

phill106 wrote: »
    Interesting, I got a reply back from storm. Anyone know the prices pre-vat change?

As a weekly cinema-goer, prices are still €9.80 and have been that for a long time now (including last Saturday at The Guard). Definitely no reduction to regular prices for at least a year, I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

I got another reply, what a load of crap. I think i'll use omniplex instead now.

Hi Phillip,

UCI Storm Group has reviewed the price structure. Not all the prices have changed, we have introduced a new structure to give overall better value, such as the new 'Teen ticket price' where as before teens would of paid adult prices.

Regards

*manager name*

get an o2 prepay sim pack, whack a fiver on it, €4 cinema tickets mon-thur for non 3D movies in the omniplex, tis the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

I no this is off topic but I keep hearing bout these €4 tickets in the Omniplex & i've never seen them at any stage. Can someone tell me when you can get them or how?

Sorry mod is this is too far off topic

look up

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭daca88

Last time i went to Storm was when Avatar came out, since then it's been the Omniplex. Storm got very messy and shabby looking and the staff were totally disinterested in their job.
    Never had a problem with the Omniplex since then and the staff have all been spot on and the place has never been untidy... despite the way it used be up to relatively recently (messy and full of knackers)

daca88 wrote: »
    Last time i went to Storm was when Avatar came out, since then it's been the Omniplex. Storm got very messy and shabby looking and the staff were totally disinterested in their job.
    Never had a problem with the Omniplex since then and the staff have all been spot on and the place has never been untidy... despite the way it used be up to relatively recently (messy and full of knackers)

I've worked in a cinema, its kinda hard to be interested in it when your day consists of cleaning a cinema multiple times in the same day, after theres been a few hundred kids trampling through there knocking over coke, ice cream and mashing popcorn into the carpet it becomes a little demoralising :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Was in Omniplex for the first time today in AGES (since Kung Fu Panda 1) and it was awsome. Spotless, €6.70 for a before 7PM film and their food prices have reduced. And their portions of Popcorn are way bigger than Storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Went to storm tonight to see bridesmaids in screen 2, price was 9.80 an adult!
    Was roasting in there tonight compared to the last time I was there, but
    I dont think i will be going back there with the price difference between storm and omniplex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I've stopped going to Storm , not that Omni is much better but I get the O2 treats deal with €4 a film during the week. I'd like to see Storm try beat that.

• Advertisement

I've stopped going to Storm , not that Omni is much better but I get the O2 treats deal with €4 a film during the week. I'd like to see Storm try beat that.

I did laugh at their "€6 a ticket for shows starting before 1pm!" offer, looked at listings, not one film starting before 1pm :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭xinchao

yeah it is sad that Tree of life isn't showing, actually there should be a law in Ireland demanding that 10% of showings should actually require cinemas to show art-house and foreign films. It depresses me that all that is on show is mindless nonsense or kids movies, which equally, are also mindless. Sure there is the odd little little gem now and again but they are quickly copied and spun out in more and subsequent franchises which all are downward sloping in I.Q. levels and imagination.

When I was a kid it was E.T., Star Wars, Flash Gordon, Indiana Jones,the Goonies etc....Now it's mindless CGI, banal one-liners. I blame reality tv shows and other "bawl your eyes out at every moment, so i can sell my soul on national tv for my 3-4 months of z-list, unimportant, so called-fame"....People like that guy with the square head and bad 80s haircut, what's his name? Oh yeah , Simple Simon Cowell should be publicly stoned (with rocks i mean, golf ball size ones so that everybody can throw, admission free of charge, including the next generation he intends to pollute and lower their I.Q. levels).........

And the problem in Ireland is people lap this drivel up and at every moment chat about it as if it was an important element in their life...I know it is not everyone and i'll be attacked for saying that:but everybody knows who they are....

To quote Yeats:
    "Romantic Ireland is dead and gone,
    Its with O'Leary in the grave." :(

It's a sad state of affairs that this is the best on offer, does this not make anybody stand up and say what the f**k is going on here? Or is it a case of, what's the point of complaining? lol....

Here endeth the rant...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Wow...what a difference...after putting up with rude staff in Storm on my last visit and rediculously priced tickets (VAT decrease anyone???), I went to the Omniplex on Friday for the 530 showing of Bridesmaids. 13.80 for 2 tickets, served by a very friendly girl. Win. The guy who checked the tickets also had a smile on his face and very genuinely said to us to enjoy our film. Honestly, I was made to feel so welcome, and that made all the difference to me. The girlfriend noticed the same. We'll be going there from now on.

Great smell of fresh popcorn, friendly staff and a good film. That's what makes it *feel* like the cimema.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

Went to Storm to see Harry Potter tonight in Screen 1, must say the staff were very friendly the temperature was very comfortable but my god the theatre was filthy, the carpet was sticky, the head rests on the red "Bucket seats" were a shiny brown colour and they squeaked, the lino under our seats was sticky in fairness a quick mop would have cost them nothing, all bit shocking really for the Cinemas flagship screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

Went to see Harry Potter on the Sunday before last with the girlfriend.

It was the first time I had been to storm in about 4 months.

We got a shock when we were told the price:

Ordered 2 tickets to Harry Potter 3D / 2 medium popcorn (have the popcorn sizes gotten smaller?) / 2 medium drinks (didn't taste like coke - anybody else notice that?) and a packet of Aero Bubbles.

All came in at €42.50 which I thought was a bit excessive, but I have to admit Storm did include a child kicking the seat behind us along with a mother that did not know how to control the little guy.

We had to move seats which to be honest embarrassed the mother into correcting him.

Four weeks ago I paid $25 to sit in Lazy boy arm chairs and have beer brought to you seat along with food during the movie in Texas.

What are Storm playing at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Was out the the Omniplex a week ago and ordered a large popcorn and coke, think it was around 8/9 euro. Biggest rip off, they were really small for large, large definitely has come down in size over the past few years, I would say the large popcorn was 3 times bigger years ago, the drink is half the size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Wackoy2k wrote: »
    Four weeks ago I paid $25 to sit in Lazy boy arm chairs and have beer brought to you seat along with food during the movie in Texas.

Anyone remember the big comfy hairs at the back of the central that you'd to pay 2.50 for.

Agree with the popcorn,its definately shrunk in size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Was out the the Omniplex a week ago and ordered a large popcorn and coke, think it was around 8/9 euro. Biggest rip off, they were really small for large, large definitely has come down in size over the past few years, I would say the large popcorn was 3 times bigger years ago, the drink is half the size.

Maybe your hands got bigger

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pro-tip: buy a cold drink and a bag of Minstrels in the nearest shopping centre and bring those with you. It's been working for me since I was 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,524 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A piece on the Listings page of today's Limerick Post:
    A number of readers have been in touch to express their disappointment that Storm Cinema has not only failed to pass on the recent reduction in VAT to patrons, but had, in fact, raised their admission price by 50c. When we made contact with management at the cinema 2 weeks ago to air readers' complaints, we were advised to either telephone or email a PR source in the UK, and to date have not had a response.

To be fair to Storm, I heard from associates that facilities were recently upgraded.

Anyone know what facilities were upgraded? Most screens have at least a couple of seats wrapped in masking tape, the sound on a few screens still pops and clicks at certain ranges, and the floor in the theaters is still like walking on fly paper.

I wonder if they mean the new food dispensers/shelves in the lobby? Yeah, that's what we really wanted all along.

Advertisement